Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

Oh hey, Beretta thread! I now have one of these thanks to IR35. It's a 92G that I'm 99.9% sure is an ex-cop gun. It's got 05 dated night sights and quite a bit of wear but I'm pretty happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Berettas own, and I deeply regret getting rid of any of the ones I've had - now go buy a poo poo load of the Mec-Gar 18 and 20 round magazines, they are excellent.

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Itchy Itchiford posted:

Oh hey, Beretta thread! I now have one of these thanks to IR35. It's a 92G that I'm 99.9% sure is an ex-cop gun. It's got 05 dated night sights and quite a bit of wear but I'm pretty happy with it.

Get a set of stock grips too unless finger grooves are you thing.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

I could go either way on the grips. I wouldn't buy them myself but for a range only gun they aren't terrible.

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

Itchy Itchiford posted:

I could go either way on the grips. I wouldn't buy them myself but for a range only gun they aren't terrible.

nah they're terrible. p sure those are the ones my roommate had on his p89, but then again, that gun was a huge turd. doubt better grips would have helped

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Might as well cross-post my 92D here for the sake of completeness.

I need to re-re-reread beetle's thread on taking gun pics and then actually do the things he says.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

I need some grips like those. Is there such a thing as cheap wood or G10 grips for the Beretta? I'd like something a little more fancy than the factory stuff but I don't want to spend $50+

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Itchy Itchiford posted:

I need some grips like those. Is there such a thing as cheap wood or G10 grips for the Beretta? I'd like something a little more fancy than the factory stuff but I don't want to spend $50+

http://www.berettausa.com/products/beretta-92-series-wood-grips-with-trident-logo/

$42.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

This is tearing me apart, I can't decide if I want a 92 or a Px4! What I buy will be used almost entirely for recreational shooting. Help a fellow out?

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

I like my civilian M9 a little bit better than my PX4, but PX4s are pretty OK guns too.

My PX4 had a much smoother DA trigger out of the box. SA is light and surprisingly crisp for a factory trigger, and the guns have a reputation on the Beretta forums for accuracy. FWIW my best groups have all been shot with a PX4, not a 92 (I am somewhat new to handguns so whatever).

The safety/decock lever in the PX4 is much more like the Cougar's than the 92's, which means you can go in and convert the factory controls from F (safety/decock) to G (decock only) yourself. That mod is pretty awesome. You can also get flush-fit G-type levers (they call them "stealth" or "low profile") from Beretta when they are in stock, that's another great mod.

I have a set on mine and it makes the PX4 powerstroke like a Glock/M&P/whatever now, you can't really engage the decocker without 100% intending to. You have to actually stop and put muscle into it, but that's a good thing as far as I am concerned. It pretty much alleviates the typical Beretta safety/decocker's overhand slide manipulation issues.

Detail stripping the slide is not a horrible pain in the rear end but you will need a hammer to drift out two roll pins.

I have had minor issues with some magazines not falling free of the gun, and the floorplates are easier to push off than they should be (if you are 45-degree-slam-reloading your gun to make the slide close automatically, you will probably push off a floorplate at some point). Other than that it's been reliable, never jams or anything.

My 92 feels much more like an extension of my arm and is probably a bit of a better made gun, but I would say go with whatever you like better for range use.

Kennebago fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 25, 2012

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

Either way it'll be a while, the Sig is getting worked on first

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Operating Rod posted:

I like my civilian M9 a little bit better than my PX4, but PX4s are pretty OK guns too.

My PX4 had a much smoother DA trigger out of the box. SA is light and surprisingly crisp for a factory trigger, and the guns have a reputation on the Beretta forums for accuracy. FWIW my best groups have all been shot with a PX4, not a 92 (I am somewhat new to handguns so whatever).

The safety/decock lever in the PX4 is much more like the Cougar's than the 92's, which means you can go in and convert the factory controls from F (safety/decock) to G (decock only) yourself. That mod is pretty awesome. You can also get flush-fit G-type levers (they call them "stealth" or "low profile") from Beretta when they are in stock, that's another great mod.

I have a set on mine and it makes the PX4 powerstroke like a Glock/M&P/whatever now, you can't really engage the decocker without 100% intending to. You have to actually stop and put muscle into it, but that's a good thing as far as I am concerned. It pretty much alleviates the typical Beretta safety/decocker's overhand slide manipulation issues.

Detail stripping the slide is not a horrible pain in the rear end but you will need a hammer to drift out two roll pins.

I have had minor issues with some magazines not falling free of the gun, and the floorplates are easier to push off than they should be (if you are 45-degree-slam-reloading your gun to make the slide close automatically, you will probably push off a floorplate at some point). Other than that it's been reliable, never jams or anything.

My 92 feels much more like an extension of my arm and is probably a bit of a better made gun, but I would say go with whatever you like better for range use.

I wholeheartedly concur with all of the above statements. To me it boils down to the PX4 having a nicer trigger out of the box, but there's obviously a much bigger aftermarket for the 92/96 if you're looking for cheaper mags, more holster choices, etc. Try to handle both to see if one fits or points better for you. And if you go then92/96 route, make sure you throw a D spring in it first thing.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

If you get the D-spring/metal trigger kit (that's usually out of stock), you're going to have to get a wolff spring for the trigger. For some reason, the kit includes the regular spring that isn't compatible with the metal trigger.

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

http://www.berettausa.com/products/beretta-92fs/96-picatinny-rail-system/

Will this mount on a Centurion and/or is it crap?

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Surefire's MR11 will apparently fit on a Centurion and is supposed to be pretty good, a lot of Beretta forums guys use it.

Don't know about the OEM.

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

Operating Rod posted:

Surefire's MR11 will apparently fit on a Centurion and is supposed to be pretty good, a lot of Beretta forums guys use it.

Don't know about the OEM.

Oem costs half as much so i hope it fits on a centurion frame.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

Where's the cheapest place to get some factory 92fs grips? Used and worn is fine. What about grip screws? I pulled those ugly hogues off for a deep clean and the hex heads on it were completely hosed.

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

Itchy Itchiford posted:

Where's the cheapest place to get some factory 92fs grips? Used and worn is fine. What about grip screws? I pulled those ugly hogues off for a deep clean and the hex heads on it were completely hosed.

Brownells carries the grip screws both slot and hex.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Itchy Itchiford posted:

Summit Gun Broker seems to always have piles of new factory grips for per set.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Decided I'll get a Px4 unless I find a good 92 for a steal. Meanwhile Beretta USA has inert training models of the Px4 for $45, I think I'll get one of those to practice with since this will be my first pistol.

Thanks for the input guys!

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Action-Bastard posted:

Decided I'll get a Px4 unless I find a good 92 for a steal. Meanwhile Beretta USA has inert training models of the Px4 for $45, I think I'll get one of those to practice with since this will be my first pistol.

Remember, Beretta USA is doing a $50 rebate on new pistols - you can get a new PX4 from Bud's for $400 before the rebate.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Action-Bastard posted:

I own a Px4 in .40, and it's my favorite thing to shoot ever. Good choice.

Lukavi
Aug 23, 2006
Place your bets now

Itchy Itchiford posted:

Everything you asked for can be found Here very good prices, and sometimes toss poo poo in you order for free. you will get their catalog every now and then, nice to poo poo and read

Note: Hogue and more or less any of the non-plastic factory grips seem to make the gun feel like your trying to grip a tree trunk and make it go bang. The Coco Bolo grips I have look fantastic, but make the grip to large. On the other hand, for whatever reason I bought the Stainless screws and really really like them with the all black gun.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Beretta's factory hex screws are total poo poo, get an aftermarket set with conventional slots. I stripped a couple with zero effort the first time I took the panels off, the metal was like mush.

Hogue wraparounds make my gun feel super duper so .

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

I found factory grips for $10 locally and got some other junk coming in the mail.

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

Operating Rod posted:

Beretta's factory hex screws are total poo poo, get an aftermarket set with conventional slots. I stripped a couple with zero effort the first time I took the panels off, the metal was like mush.

I've never had an issue with them. That having been said I bet they can't make the metal too hard because if it were and you cross thread the screws it would mess up the threading on the frame instead of the screws.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Neo Mara posted:

I've never had an issue with them. That having been said I bet they can't make the metal too hard because if it were and you cross thread the screws it would mess up the threading on the frame instead of the screws.

I just thought maybe they could just harden the head () but that's probably way too costly labor-wise just for some loving grip screws.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

infrared35 posted:

I wholeheartedly concur with all of the above statements. To me it boils down to the PX4 having a nicer trigger out of the box, but there's obviously a much bigger aftermarket for the 92/96 if you're looking for cheaper mags, more holster choices, etc. Try to handle both to see if one fits or points better for you. And if you go then92/96 route, make sure you throw a D spring in it first thing.
Totally unrelated: delete some of your messages.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

Does anyone carry a 92 iwb or owb? My Sig is going under the knife soon and it's my only other centerfire pistol at the moment. I know it's a large gun but I should be able to pull it off.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Itchy Itchiford posted:

Does anyone carry a 92 iwb or owb? My Sig is going under the knife soon and it's my only other centerfire pistol at the moment. I know it's a large gun but I should be able to pull it off.

Carried my 96 for two years both IWB and OWB and it concealed just as well as my G23, but I am fairly barrel chested and have broad shoulders.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

I assume you probably used some sort of comp-tac product? Do tell

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Itchy Itchiford posted:

I assume you probably used some sort of comp-tac product? Do tell

Crossbreed Supertuck at 3:30 and I have a friend with the build of a runner who carries a 92G Elite in a Supertuck somewhere between appendix and 3:00 as well with no problem.

Edit: Don't AIWB with a hybrid holster, it doesn't work out in the long run and I have no idea how he does it. But there are makers of nice kydex AIWB rigs for Berettas.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Itchy Itchiford posted:

I carry OWB pretty regularly in a Dillon Master, which is basically a Galco Combat Master.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Paging IR35:

Are Beretta 96FS Border Marshalls anything special? It has the brigadier slide with removable front sight, guy wants $525.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

That's rather good for an unfucked Brigadier.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

IuniusBrutus posted:

Paging IR35:

Are Beretta 96FS Border Marshalls anything special? It has the brigadier slide with removable front sight, guy wants $525.

I'd say that's a good deal. Kind of an interesting gun - sort of a cross between the heavy duty 96D Brigadiers that the Border Patrol actually used, and the more mainstream F-series guns that the public tended to buy. I would totally buy one.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

Good news and bad! My packages showed up today. The good news is all the parts from Brownells are awesome and now my gun has a new recoil spring and d-spring. Externally it's becoming a pretty pretty princess:

The d-spring is loving awesome. The trigger pull is even smoother (didn't realize that was possible) and much lighter. Is there anything I can do to my Sig to make it similar?

I had to get the elite hammer because they had it for loving $17. Everywhere else is $25+

The bad news is the local guy that sold me grips didn't tell me they were for the older guns that don't have the new hammer pin I can modify the old grips my just carving out a circle for the hammer pin right? Does it need to be very precise or just so it isn't allowed to move much?

I don't want to use a dremel on my gun

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

Itchy Itchiford posted:

The d-spring is loving awesome. The trigger pull is even smoother (didn't realize that was possible) and much lighter. Is there anything I can do to my Sig to make it similar?

Shhh careful before you ruffle the feathers of the parrots and they tell you you're and idiot and Berettas have bad triggers.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Neo Mara posted:

Shhh careful before you ruffle the feathers of the parrots and they tell you you're and idiot and Berettas have bad triggers.

I've never quite understood the anti-Beretta rhetoric you hear alot when they come up. I mean, yeah every firearm has it's pros and cons but Beretta just seems to attract the most undeserved negativity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

SLIDE-MOUNTED SAFETY