Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

Mad Dragon posted:

SLIDE-MOUNTED SAFETY

Mine is decocker only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

Double post, but I was able to dremel the lovely 92F grips I got to fit over my hammer pin. Thanks again IR35.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Paging IR35: please delete some of your PMs. I've been trying to message you for a while.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Dead Reckoning posted:

Paging IR35: please delete some of your PMs. I've been trying to message you for a while.

Dang, I thought I had cleared enough room. Try it now.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

I am looking to get thinner grips for my M9A1 and the Aluminagrips caught my eye ( though they're quite costly at $65 at Brownells). Does anybody here have an opinion on them?

On a similar note, I have this urge to buy those grips in silver, an Inox barrel, and a steel trigger with the Wolff trigger spring. I've never seen this combo and maybe it will look good? Tell me this won't look stupid with all the contrasting silver and black.

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

TATPants posted:

I am looking to get thinner grips for my M9A1 and the Aluminagrips caught my eye ( though they're quite costly at $65 at Brownells). Does anybody here have an opinion on them?

On a similar note, I have this urge to buy those grips in silver, an Inox barrel, and a steel trigger with the Wolff trigger spring. I've never seen this combo and maybe it will look good? Tell me this won't look stupid with all the contrasting silver and black.

Couldn't give you a pic exaclty like that but I can repost this:

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

TATPants posted:

The Alumagrips loving rock. I love them and have done a few 3-gun shoots with them. They're thin enough to keep the Beretta grip from being unwieldy and very, very grippy without being painful. Go for it.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Neo Mara posted:

Couldn't give you a pic exaclty like that but I can repost this:

Yeah that gun is purrrdy and why I think this two-tone thing could work...
I think I'm sold on the grips at this point

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Joined the Beretta club:

96D Brigadier. According to the people at Beretta customer service, it's a surplus Immigration & Naturalization Service gun from 1996. It's been fired, but there's almost no wear on the finish or internals. I think it was someone's safe queen. I took it out to the range today, and it makes 40 S&W feel a lot less snappy, but the DAO trigger is going to take some getting used to; my groups were about twice the size of the ones I shoot with my CZ and Buckmark. That said, the trigger is still a thousand times better than that of every M9 I've shot.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Dead Reckoning posted:

Joined the Beretta club:

96D Brigadier. According to the people at Beretta customer service, it's a surplus Immigration & Naturalization Service gun from 1996. It's been fired, but there's almost no wear on the finish or internals. I think it was someone's safe queen. I took it out to the range today, and it makes 40 S&W feel a lot less snappy, but the DAO trigger is going to take some getting used to; my groups were about twice the size of the ones I shoot with my CZ and Buckmark. That said, the trigger is still a thousand times better than that of every M9 I've shot.

If you spend some time on the trigger, it will make you a better shot. Yeah, you can't shoot it as fast as you can a Glock, but it's smooth and the length of the DA pull really forces you to focus on your sights through the entire pull.

Edit: Does the barrel have a "P" stamped on it anywhere?

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 11, 2012

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

infrared35 posted:

Edit: Does the barrel have a "P" stamped on it anywhere?
There's a "P" stamped on the frame, but I think it's a fairly standard Beretta proof:

The caliber on the barrel is also prefixed with a "P":

...and there's a "4" on the underside of the slide that I'm guessing is an inspection mark:

What does a P-stamped barrel signify?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Dead Reckoning posted:

The caliber on the barrel is also prefixed with a "P":

What does a P-stamped barrel signify?

That just verifies that it's the revised barrel design; the P was added to show that the barrel passed the new proof-load standards.

I'm officially "jelly" as the kids say.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.

he knows...

My local pawn shop has a gunborker account with a 92FS Brigadier up for auction. It looks to be in pretty great shape, so how high should I make my bid ceiling? I don't know what the Brigadier premium is.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Bigass Moth posted:

My local pawn shop has a gunborker account with a 92FS Brigadier up for auction. It looks to be in pretty great shape, so how high should I make my bid ceiling? I don't know what the Brigadier premium is.

I'd easily go an extra $50 over whatever the equivalent model Beretta is going for.

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

...and there's a "4" on the underside of the slide that I'm guessing is an inspection mark:

The '4' means its a .40 S&W slide.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Is $380 a decent price for a Beretta 92 (no F or S)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=318915335

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Yep; just be aware that you'll need to be a little pickier about buying mags because of the location of the magazine catch on those guns.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

infrared35 posted:

Yep; just be aware that you'll need to be a little pickier about buying mags because of the location of the magazine catch on those guns.

Right, forgot about that. Funny, the 10-round mags I got with the 92D I bought from you have the cutout, but none of my factory 15-round mags have it. I sold all my 3rd-party mags with my 92G, and I remember they all had the cutout.

It's dremel time (if I were actually going to buy this gun).

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Man old berettas were so loving great.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

The one at the top is a factory 20, and it doesn't have the cutout. The others, from left to right:

1) unknown brand 30-round 9mm mag, has cutout

2) factory 9mm 15-round, has cutout

3) factory .40 11-round, no cutout

4) Mec-Gar 9mm 17-round, has cutout

5) factory 9mm 10-round, has cutout

6) Checkmate mil-surp 9mm 15-round, no cutout

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Showing off my new checkered wood grips from Beretta.

I need more than a single dim light source for the poor-man's lightbox I threw together

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I need more than a single dim light source for the poor-man's lightbox I threw together

awesome, hopefully mine will look just as good on my brother's inox

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I think it will probably look even better on the stainless Inox

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

unf.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

Time to bite the bullet and get DA under control. I dryfire DA constantly and manage the trigger OK but I need to stop flinching on the range because I fight way too much with dumping my front sight once I'm shooting live ammo.

Any advice? I had my weakness clearly demonstrated while trying to shoot a Sig Pro last weekend. SA was great, DA wasn't even on target. I'm better than that with my Berettas, because I can at least keep rounds from going in the dirt, but yeah this needs addressing.

Already did the D spring swap.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Operating Rod posted:

Time to bite the bullet and get DA under control. I dryfire DA constantly and manage the trigger OK but I need to stop flinching on the range because I fight way too much with dumping my front sight once I'm shooting live ammo.

Any advice? I had my weakness clearly demonstrated while trying to shoot a Sig Pro last weekend. SA was great, DA wasn't even on target. I'm better than that with my Berettas, because I can at least keep rounds from going in the dirt, but yeah this needs addressing.

Already did the D spring swap.

Lots of dry fire and live fire practice. For some reason, I shoot more accurately in DA mode because it forces me to focus on not moving the front sight during the entire (longer) trigger pull. Works especially well with the Beretta because the trigger's so smooth, but the technique does transfer to other DA guns with a little practice.

Don't "snatch" your shots. Just hold on target as steadily as you can and slowly and smoothly press the trigger to the rear. Don't worry about making the gun go off when it's perfectly aligned with the target. As long as you're pretty well centered up on target and your sight alignment is true (and you're focusing on that front sight), you shot will go where you want it to. Remember your follow-through - keep the trigger pressed to the rear after the shot breaks. Don't be in such a hurry to reset it.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Follow up question - my trigger isn't super smooth, but it's manageable until the end of the trigger stroke, where the trigger sticks/stops before breaking. My PX4 doesn't do that, and I consistently push my DA shots left because of it, even in dry-fire

Is this something I can smooth up myself?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Operating Rod posted:

Follow up question - my trigger isn't super smooth, but it's manageable until the end of the trigger stroke, where the trigger sticks/stops before breaking. My PX4 doesn't do that, and I consistently push my DA shots left because of it, even in dry-fire

Is this something I can smooth up myself?

This is a DA/SA Beretta, right? The trigger in DA won't be quite as smooth as the trigger on a DAO gun because of the sear engagement points. Best thing to do is just work on repetitions. The gun itself may not smooth out any, but you can definitely overcome jerking the trigger.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Try some ball and dummy, as well. It's really easy to do if you have a big pile of 9mm with no powder/primer (you can do this easily if you reload). Stack magazines with a 50/50 mix of live and not-live.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Ok sorry in advance if this is a dumb baby question... But I was about to order a Px4 from Bud's when I noticed it was a D-type, decided to look that up and I'm finding out that it basically has no safety as far as I can tell. As this would be my first pistol that kinda worries me, I like safeties on guns I'm not familiar with. Like I said maybe I'm being a baby, is there actually a safety feature to the D type or should I find something else?

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Action-Bastard posted:

Ok sorry in advance if this is a dumb baby question... But I was about to order a Px4 from Bud's when I noticed it was a D-type, decided to look that up and I'm finding out that it basically has no safety as far as I can tell. As this would be my first pistol that kinda worries me, I like safeties on guns I'm not familiar with. Like I said maybe I'm being a baby, is there actually a safety feature to the D type or should I find something else?

As long as your finger isn't touching the trigger it isn't going to magically go off

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Be aware of what a D-type trigger is before you buy.

Not that it's really good reason to buy a pistol in hindsight, but I was the same, when I was new to everything I wanted a manual safety in my first gun and bought a PX4 in part because it had typical Beretta controls. The nice thing about PX4 and Cougar F-type safety/decock levers is that you can convert them to decock-only yourself very easily by taking out a part (that's called a G conversion), which was nice as I gained experience and came to dislike F-type safeties as a matter or personal preference.

I have a low-pro G-converted PX4 now.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Action-Bastard posted:

The D-Type Px4 is a double-action-only trigger with no manual safety. There is a firing pin block in the gun to make it drop-safe.

If you're not yet familiar with the gun, may I suggest finding a range that rents guns like the Px4, or finding a local goon who owns a Px4 and is also nice enough to let you try it out?

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

If you are anywhere near Connecticut you are more than welcome to try mine, although it's DA/SA instead of DAO.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Thanks for the advice everyone, yeah I'll have to give this some more thought. I posted that after being up all night following a stressful night at work so I think my head was up my rear end a little. Thing is I'm buying this for work (I work in Security) So I'll be carrying it on me 8-12 hours a day. Also after reading about DAO, it sounds like it might be weird.

I've already shot a Px4 but it was a friends who almost never goes shooting, also it was in .40sw. I'm in Oregon though just fyi, if someone wanted to take me shooting locally I'd be happy to tag along.

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Action-Bastard posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone, yeah I'll have to give this some more thought. I posted that after being up all night following a stressful night at work so I think my head was up my rear end a little. Thing is I'm buying this for work (I work in Security) So I'll be carrying it on me 8-12 hours a day. Also after reading about DAO, it sounds like it might be weird.

I've already shot a Px4 but it was a friends who almost never goes shooting, also it was in .40sw. I'm in Oregon though just fyi, if someone wanted to take me shooting locally I'd be happy to tag along.

DAO is awesome

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Flikken posted:

DAO is awesome

In the PX4, there's the "constant action" version which is what I've got. It's sort of like SIG's DAK system - it's effectively a pre-cocked DAO which keeps the pull smooth and fairly light through the Science of Mechanical Advantage.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

infrared35 posted:

In the PX4, there's the "constant action" version which is what I've got. It's sort of like SIG's DAK system - it's effectively a pre-cocked DAO which keeps the pull smooth and fairly light through the Science of Mechanical Advantage.

I love that Italian gungineers figured out how to miniaturize a block-and-fall and put it in a gun.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.

he knows...

I bought a Beretta 96FS Centurion off Gunbroker. It is in like new condition (seriously, if it's not 100% I don't know what is) for less than $400 out the door. The kicker? It has a Lasermax guide rod in it (MSRP ~$350). Steal of the year, especially if I decide to sell the guide rod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

God

You done good, son