Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Yeah but a cheap gun that goes bang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Insane Totoro posted:

Why haven't you moved to PA yet so we can touch M&Ps

i'll apply to UPenn. We'll see.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Kommienzuspadt posted:

i'll apply to UPenn. We'll see.

PA local pro-tip. Almost everybody I know (I grew up in the suburbs of Philly) calls the University of Pennsylvania: "Penn". I don't know why this is or how far this goes geographically but hey, it's how I grew up. YMMV

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

TATPants posted:

PA local pro-tip. Almost everybody I know (I grew up in the suburbs of Philly) calls the University of Pennsylvania: "Penn". I don't know why this is or how far this goes geographically but hey, it's how I grew up. YMMV

Haha. If I get in then I can worry about such things.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Protip don't live in Philadelphia or buy a Neos

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I feel conflicted about this.

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

It's neat but how is it $2000 neat?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Flikken posted:

It's neat but how is it $2000 neat?

Exactly. If it was half that, I'd be pretty tempted.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

"Patriot Brown"

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

infrared35 posted:

Exactly. If it was half that, I'd be pretty tempted.

I was hoping you would sperg on that model a bit.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Flikken posted:

I was hoping you would sperg on that model a bit.

I don't really know that much about it other than it's an SAO with a frame safety, a steel frame, and a Brigadier slide. It's basically the ultimate competition Beretta.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

infrared35 posted:

I don't really know that much about it other than it's an SAO with a frame safety, a steel frame, and a Brigadier slide. It's basically the ultimate competition Beretta.

FTFY. That thing must weigh a ton. Beretta really should make these again.

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

infrared35 posted:

Thank you, now I want one and had never knew something like that existed.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

If Beretta started cranking those out with aluminum frames, I would buy two.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Frame safety. Decocker-only. Bigadier slide. Dovetailed sights. DAO. Any of the above with a rail. If Beretta brought back any of these ideas for a limited run, it'd be a license to print money. I have no idea why they don't. Seriously, I've seen an Elite II go for $1,300 on Gunbroker this week, and they're already producing the skeleton hammers and steel triggers/D-springs everyone would immediately install. Make 10,000 9mm and 10,000 .40 S&W guns with any two of those features with d-spring, skeleton hammer and a rail, threaded barrel maybe? price them at less than $850 a piece and they would sell out the year they hit market.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 29, 2013

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

Are steel triggers worth installing over the plastic ones?

The main reason I see for people getting them is the Wolff conversion unit.

Dream Beretta = frame safety, Brigadier slide, dovetailed sights.

Kennebago fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 29, 2013

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Operating Rod posted:

No idea, but it comes as a kit with the D-spring from Beretta.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I bought that kit, and it came with the wrong trigger spring. I also bought a wolff reduced power spring, and it wouldn't reset the trigger. Hopefully, Brownells will let me exchange it for a normal-power spring.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Operating Rod posted:

Dream Beretta = frame safety, Brigadier slide, dovetailed sights.

I'm 99% sure all Brigadier slides are dovetailed for fronts and rears. Every one I've ever seen has been that way.

If I had one of those steel SAO Berettas I'd totally put an SGS comp on it. It would weigh a ton but it'd be like shooting a .22.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

I want to set up a black Brigadier with an Inox barrel and trigger so very badly.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Operating Rod posted:

The main reason I see for people getting them is the Wolff conversion unit.

I have the metal trigger, reduced power Wolff TCU, and a 1911 mainspring and it hasn't failed to fire anything yet (handloads and WWB) nor has it refused to reset. I think the metal trigger made SA a good deal smoother, and mayyybe a little bit lighter. If you're worried about reset just get the regular power one - it probably makes little to no difference.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

that probably-gary-cole gunbroker account has tons of cheap-rear end 84Fs

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006
I keep missing. Are you sure the bullets work?

Basticle posted:

I meant to buy one when he had them back in December, but then he disappeared. And now I've already spent all my gun money for the next month or two. Maybe I can offload something on armslist to pay for one.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

infrared35 posted:

If I had one of those steel SAO Berettas I'd totally put an SGS comp on it. It would weigh a ton but it'd be like shooting a .22.

Or you could just:

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Dead Reckoning posted:

Or you could just:

Yeah, that's pretty cool too.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Basticle posted:

link now has 92's again (and a coupe of model 70s). If I'm feeling particularly stupid when I get my tax return I might get a Hi Power, 84F and 92F as a combined purchase....wait what am I talking about, I have bills to pay...ffffffffffffffff

Basticle fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 2, 2013

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!

Fun Shoe

Dead Reckoning posted:

Or you could just:

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I want to sell all my .22 pistols and buy me one of those.

beetle
Oct 12, 2012

Wie ein Chef!

Picked up a couple of new Beretta's lately. The first is a Beretta 92FS Compact, Type M. This is the single stack version of the 92FS with a magazine capacity of 8 rounds. Supposedly these Type Ms are fairly uncommon, and the magazines are difficult to come by. Picked this up for a nice price, it is NIB and unfired, sitting in a safe for many years.

Even though it's named "Compact" it's not that much smaller than a normal 92FS. About half an inch shorter in length and height, and about 1/16" thinner.

Here you can see it's a little shorter and uses a magazine with finger extension to help with the grip.

Of course all 92s have the distinctive open top slide.

While I like Beretta pistolas, my favorite is Beretta shotguns. I picked up their new A400 Action in 20ga with kickoff. This is one sweeet shooter! With the Beretta's famed gas action (already soft shooting) combined with the kickoff it's like shooting a .22!

the Kick-Off system

Has a pretty handsome bronze colored receiver

The triple trident logo of Beretta. By the way here is the story of this logo in cased nobody has posted this before.

berettausa.blogspot.com posted:

The encircled arrows represent the three shots fired by a battleship that engages a potential enemy: the arrow on the left reprents the first warning shot, fired at the ship's stern; the arrow on the right represents the second warning shot, fired at the ship's bow. The central arrow is the last round fired, when the ship doesn't yield: this one is aimed at the ship itself

No pictures but I also picked up a Beretta 3901 12GA, also known as the "Walmart Special". Even though it wears cheap synthetic furniture the gas system is solid Beretta 390/391. I traded 400 rounds of .45ACP for it. Super happy with these deal since I bought these rounds (WWB) back before the craze.

It's been a Beretta kind of month!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Man, that Type M sure has a chunky grip for a single stack. Seems to be it has all of the disadvantages of a double stack for carry (girth) and none of the advantages (capacity).

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Hnng, gimme! Any chance we can get some photos disassembled? I have a serious lack of Beretta shotgun in my life.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!

Fun Shoe

beetle posted:

No pictures but I also picked up a Beretta 3901 12GA, also known as the "Walmart Special". Even though it wears cheap synthetic furniture the gas system is solid Beretta 390/391. I traded 400 rounds of .45ACP for it. Super happy with these deal since I bought these rounds (WWB) back before the craze.

It's been a Beretta kind of month!

Congratulations on getting the classiest beater shotgun in the world. Those things are tanks.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

GEEKABALL posted:

Congratulations on getting the classiest beater shotgun in the world. Those things are tanks.

You are not helping my wallet.

beetle
Oct 12, 2012

Wie ein Chef!

Butch Cassidy posted:

Hnng, gimme! Any chance we can get some photos disassembled? I have a serious lack of Beretta shotgun in my life.

As requested, here are some pics of how the "new" A400 works and how it is different than the 390/391/3901 series. Let's first examine the 3901 or what geekaball calls the "classiest beater shotgun" (I agree).

Here it is, the 3901. the 3901 is based off the proven 390/391 action but manufactured to hit a price point. It came in a cardbox box and lacked some of the accessories that are normally included (like shim kit, etc).

As you can see it looks like a beater shotgun

Instead of using their lightweight "Steelium" barrels, Beretta used heavier steel barrels from their subsidiary, Stoeger.

But at the heart of this shotgun lies the famed Beretta 39X action.

A close up of the bolt face of the 3901. All beretta 39X series shotguns used this same bolt. It's a traditional flat faced bolt which requires an additional block to lock it in place. Adds a significant amount of mass to the bolt itself.

To disassemble remove the forend cap. As you can see there are some small parts to deal with.

the piston is standard design. It's purpose is to regulate the amount of gas that gets sent backwards to cycle bolt.

One of the main design goals is to balance how much gas to send back (enough to cycle the action but not too much or else it will slam the bolt). Also the gas ports should stay unobstructed from carbon build up.

The gas design of the Beretta 39X series is well proven in the field. To this day many shotgunners will say that it is one of the softest shooting, most reliable actions out there.

With the A400 Beretta made some major updates to the action. As you can see now the design has been simplified with no small parts that can get lost.

The biggest change was the swith to a rotary bolt system. Instead of using a heavy "locking block" the bolt face rotates and locks into place into this channel. by eliminating the locking block the mass of the bolt itself is significantly reduced. This means much less gas is required to work the action.

the piston now incorporates a spinning serrated ring which helps to break down carbon build up on the gas port.

finally the recoil spring has been moved from the buttstock (39X series) to the forend. This allowed beretta to place a bolt recoil system into the buttstock. Because of the reduction in bolt mass from using a rotating bolt, bolt action speed can be increased. However, to prevent peening or receiver damage the bolt recoil system was added into the buttstock. The result is a faster action (beretta claims "worlds fastest") that can cycle a larger variety of loads with low recoil.

I really like that A400 in 20GA. Every time I go shoot clays my head says I should go and shoot my expensive Over-Under but inevitably I end up grabbing that A400!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Thanks!

But now a 3901 is on my purchase list after I finish this AR. And an extra barrel to introduce to the old hacksaw

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Anyone have experience with Taurus' Beretta clones? Are any of the parts interchangeable with real Berettas, or are the similarities mostly cosmetic?

Absolut_V
Oct 8, 2003

Superman That Jones!

Good writeup. I didn't realize that there was so much of a change in the action.

I may have already posted this, but I was at the Beretta Gallery last month in Dallas. They have ones in Paris, Milan, London, and New York too. Good selection and the counter guy was totally cool to hang out with. Not pushy or snobby at all, which is something considering he has a number of guns that are in the $100,000 range. He almost sold me on a gallery grade silver pidgeon but I decided to pass. Next time I finish a trial I am totally going back for one though. I was pretty interested int he 682/692 models though. If I could find a sporting/trap combo I could be tempted into it.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Think I might have a problem with my 92fs. Seems as though the double action on the trigger doesn't want to work anymore. The trigger wont reset so it wont fire unless the hammer is already back. Made sure the safety was off as well. I just discovered this while running some drills with dummy rounds, haven't shot live ammo through it recently. I have however disassembled the slide recently for cleaning so maybe I put something back together incorrectly?

Anyone have an idea what may have caused this and how I might fix it?

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

Action-Bastard posted:

Think I might have a problem with my 92fs. Seems as though the double action on the trigger doesn't want to work anymore. The trigger wont reset so it wont fire unless the hammer is already back. Made sure the safety was off as well. I just discovered this while running some drills with dummy rounds, haven't shot live ammo through it recently. I have however disassembled the slide recently for cleaning so maybe I put something back together incorrectly?

Anyone have an idea what may have caused this and how I might fix it?

scrub inside the magwell or take the grips off recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Flikken posted:

scrub inside the magwell or take the grips off recently?

Yeah taking it apart and looking at it again I think something isn't catching in there... but no I didn't take off the grips or "scrub" inside the magwell. I did rub some patches around with lube and cleaner but nothing I would describe as "scrubing" I worried I may have over lubed it in some parts (it's my first handgun).