Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Action-Bastard posted:

Yeah taking it apart and looking at it again I think something isn't catching in there... but no I didn't take off the grips or "scrub" inside the magwell. I did rub some patches around with lube and cleaner but nothing I would describe as "scrubing" I worried I may have over lubed it in some parts (it's my first handgun).

does the circled part move with the trigger pull?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Yes it does.

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

your trigger bar spring is broken or missing.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/299785/wolff-trigger-bar-spring-beretta-92-96-full-size-and-compacts-centurion-40-s-and-w-factory-design

Take your right grip panel off, it's under there.

Flikken fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 11, 2013

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Flikken posted:

your trigger bar spring is broken or missing.

Awesome! Is that something I can fix myself or should I give a gunsmith a call?

Edit: Ok I played with it a bit more and it worked for two trigger pulls then went back to not working... So I'm guessing its not missing just broken or something like that.

Edit2: Ok I think I found a youtube video on it so I think I'm set. Thanks for the help!

Action-Bastard fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 11, 2013

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

Action-Bastard posted:

Awesome! Is that something I can fix myself or should I give a gunsmith a call?

I just popped mine out and back in, in under a minute, so no.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Flikken posted:

I just popped mine out and back in, in under a minute, so no.

I've lost 2 of these springs while dicking around with my gun. I would suggest buying a few of them or doing it all inside a plastic bag if you're a clutz with hamhands like me. Bonus video for information!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkEJMzdvla0

e: you only care about the last 10 seconds of the video for replacing the trigger bar spring

ee: slow to the game

TATPants fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 11, 2013

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

Action-Bastard posted:

Edit: Ok I played with it a bit more and it worked for two trigger pulls then went back to not working... So I'm guessing its not missing just broken or something like that.

Edit2: Ok I think I found a youtube video on it so I think I'm set. Thanks for the help!

I usually ran into that when some airman or soldier got a bit overzealous on cleaning by either taking the grip panels off or using a brush on the inside of the magwell. It's kind of common.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Found the problem, trigger bar spring was fine and appeared to be aligned, however a chunk of those lovely plastic dummies broke off again as I mentioned here previously and got itself lodged in the bar. Welp, looks like I need to get some proper aluminum dummies or something.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Gander Mountain just got a large batch of used Beretta 84s

Including whatever the gently caress this is:

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I love the carbon fiber one.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Mayyyynnne I want an 84F.

In other Beretta news, shot my .22 21A Bobcat for the first time last night. It is legit one of the most fun guns I've ever shot.

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

[quote="Dead Reckoning" post="414633230"]
Gander Mountain just got a large batch of used Beretta 84s

Someone who doesnt care about hot ammo should pick up that $400(!) 92S
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Beretta-Model-92S-Handgun&i=UF100449174&uf=true

Only registered members can see post attachments!

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Absolutely! Whoever buys it, just be aware that you can only use some 92-series Beretta mags in it because of the location of the magazine catch.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

So what makes the 92s special? Other than what obviously looks to be a lovely old handgun.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Nothing.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Brownells let me exchange my Wolff reduced-power trigger spring for a normal one, and it works!

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Action-Bastard posted:

So what makes the 92s special? Other than what obviously looks to be a lovely old handgun.

Basically it's an older, classier version of the 92F.

It doesn't have the recurved trigger guard of the newer models, the slide safety is only on one side, and the magazine catch is still on the side of the gun, but rather than being up by the trigger guard it's low down toward the rear of the left grip panel. Works pretty well, as long as you're shooting right-handed and your left hand is free to hit the button. But it also means you have to find mags that are cut for that magazine catch. Helpfully, lots of them are.

There's nothing really wrong with it (other than not having the 92FS's fail-safe slide capture system) but it's probably better suited as a range gun than a carry gun.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 21, 2013

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

A double-post is the best cross-post.

Edit: just noticed that my local Walmart has a Beretta CX4 9mm for sale, but they want $849 for it.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 21, 2013

Juice
Jun 19, 2002

infrared35 posted:

A double-post is the best cross-post.

Edit: just noticed that my local Walmart has a Beretta CX4 9mm for sale, but they want $849 for it.

I like that this gun has a healthy amount of honest holster wear, but that didn't stop you from properly indexing the top grip panel screw. Looks good.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

Including whatever the gently caress this is:

Now ish the time on Shprockets ven ve put terrrrrreeble camo on nish Italian gunsh:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Waiting to decide on one of those 84s was a mistake; they're all sold out as of this morning, even the horrible camo abortions.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

Waiting to decide on one of those 84s was a mistake

Yeah, the 84 BB is pretty much the coolest 380 ever made:

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!

Fun Shoe

This would fall into the "impulse buy" range for me if it was a little closer:
http://texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=356068

Advertised as 6.5 Carcano Beretta Gardone Italian Army Carbine.
Of course the seller has to mention Lee Harvey in his ad

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

That ad doesn't show up for me but it does bring me to a question I've had before: Namely, if Carcanos were made by Beretta why did they suck so much? Was it not a Beretta design or does it have something to do with Beretta's relative inexperience producing bolt action rifles? Are there any other bolt guns made by Beretta?

Rupert_Yeats
Jun 7, 2011

ZenMastaT posted:

That ad doesn't show up for me but it does bring me to a question I've had before: Namely, if Carcanos were made by Beretta why did they suck so much? Was it not a Beretta design or does it have something to do with Beretta's relative inexperience producing bolt action rifles? Are there any other bolt guns made by Beretta?

The rifles themselves aren't actually that bad. Some of the later ones can be a little crude, but you can say that about most military firearms during WWII. The biggest issue has always been the ammo. It was really inconsistently loaded, with inconsistent bullet weights, and generally lovely quality control. That, coupled with round nose bullets makes for a poor performing rifle.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

ZenMastaT posted:

Namely, if Carcanos were made by Beretta why did they suck so much? Was it not a Beretta design or does it have something to do with Beretta's relative inexperience producing bolt action rifles? Are there any other bolt guns made by Beretta?

They didn't suck. The cartridge was pretty nice, they were trim and slim for battle rifles at the time, the sights were out-dated but were part of the design Beretta had gently caress-all to do with, the triggers were heavy by specification but usable, and the action is strong as hell. And Beretta has made a handful of bolt-actions in the past to include some neat bolt-action 22 rifles that could also be used in semi-auto

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009

From what I know they were actually pretty good guns, just with bad reputation. There were some issues with undersized bullets for instance though I don't remember details. And then, the fascists loved short little carbines - the 6.5mm long rifle was converted en masse to M38 and others just by chopping length off the front end. Those barrels had progressive twist rifling so this did the accuracy no favors.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

Thanks for the replies guys - I'd always heard vile mutterings wherever the Carcano was concerned but I think I'll see if I can't pick one up and judge for myself at some point. I'm definitely partial M38 Cavalry carbine with the neat little folding bayonet. Were all Carcanos manufactured by Beretta or did the Italians have a number of arsenals?

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!

Fun Shoe

ZenMastaT posted:

Thanks for the replies guys - I'd always heard vile mutterings wherever the Carcano was concerned but I think I'll see if I can't pick one up and judge for myself at some point. I'm definitely partial M38 Cavalry carbine with the neat little folding bayonet. Were all Carcanos manufactured by Beretta or did the Italians have a number of arsenals?

Not sure what part of the country you are in but the same guy has an ad for the same gun up on Armslist. I'm not going to trash up the thread with another broken link, but if you google the description from my earlier post you will get to the ad. And this time I ganked some pictures for posterity:

He's only asking $150.00 which puts it close to the area of impulse buy as a wall hanger. The guy states that the bolt face has been repaired, but that it should be OK to shoot . I don't think I would want to chance it myself.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Waiting to decide on one of those 84s was a mistake; they're all sold out as of this morning, even the horrible camo abortions.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Pistols/BI.aspx?Keywords=beretta&IncludeSellers=2621012

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Am I wrong to want a Beretta 86?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=337706058

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

They're really neat guns, but they're hard to find holsters for if you're considering carrying it.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

infrared35 posted:

They're really neat guns, but they're hard to find holsters for if you're considering carrying it.

Nah, its just a toy. I'm sure I will carry my J frame until the end of time.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Also, that one is extra awesome because it's being sold by Guns Galore in Fenton, Michigan.

Although I should say that I can't give them an official endorsement because I haven't dealt with them in over 20 years, but I loved going to that shop back in the day.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

I have a major thing for Beretta 86s, but Jesus Christ that thing is at $900.

Is such a ridiculously wide pricing range for 80-series guns normal? My 84BB was like $275 shipped!

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Operating Rod posted:

I have a major thing for Beretta 86s, but Jesus Christ that thing is at $900.

Is such a ridiculously wide pricing range for 80-series guns normal? My 84BB was like $275 shipped!

I would say normal for an 84/85 used to be between $400 and $500, but there appears to be a huge dump on the market right now bringing the prices down. 86s on the other hand were rare to begin with.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Thanks for the heads up, but it turns out the "everything is sold out" was a glitch. Grabbed an 84BB. The bluing still looks pretty good, shiny bore, but there's some rust spots on the serrations and hammer that weren't apparent in the pictures. If I take 0000 steel wool to those, do I risk damaging the finish?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

I'd spent the past week looking at Mini Beretta vest pistols (the older 950s and 20s) only to have what looked like a Bobcat/Tomcat/Jetfire pulled on me today while driving (details in the CCW thread), now I kind of no longer want one

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

Dead Reckoning posted:

Thanks for the heads up, but it turns out the "everything is sold out" was a glitch. Grabbed an 84BB. The bluing still looks pretty good, shiny bore, but there's some rust spots on the serrations and hammer that weren't apparent in the pictures. If I take 0000 steel wool to those, do I risk damaging the finish?

I used a little 0000 steel wool and CLP to get a rust (?) or crud deposit off of a safety lever. I was super duper gentle, it didn't hurt anything. YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

If you're really worried about the bluing, order some bronze wool off of Amazon. It ends up being more, but it's softer than steel, so it's harder to gently caress up.