Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."

Millions Knives posted:

Uh oh what do we have here...

The latches on my Beretta M9 case haven't broke off, but they're pretty close. Thank Beretta for using cheap lovely plastic that can't bend more than a couple times w/o stress whitening and breaking off, and/or piss poor part design on the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 11, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love

Springfield Armory has the best factory gun cases on the market.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Hentai Tentacle Demon posted:

Springfield Armory has the best factory gun cases on the market.

Unfortunately, also the worst guns.

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 11, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love

The xdm series is excellent, the triggers are a bit spongy but the guns are great.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Socom16.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Aren't you just proving his point?

DakianDelomast
Mar 5, 2003

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Their Imbel 1911s aren't bad. My GI had been a hoot to monkey around on.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

DakianDelomast posted:

Their Imbel 1911s aren't bad. My GI had been a hoot to monkey around on.

Their 1911s get a pass and are actually quite excellent.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

I have an unnatural lust for one of those. Very unnatural. Very lusty.

They just look awesome. Probably shoots 8 MOA, but you'll look solid while doing so.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

DkHelmet posted:

I have an unnatural lust for one of those. Very unnatural. Very lusty.

They just look awesome. Probably shoots 8 MOA, but you'll look solid while doing so.

Apparently the 16 had a wonky gas system but they fixed it on the SOCOM II. Plus, rails.

I think, since this is the Beretta thread, that I should mention the fact that there's a Steel I up for sale again on gunbroker. $2499 opening bid though.

If I had the money I would totally buy it and give no fucks.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I love those Mini Cougars.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Want, badly.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

FFF

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Tis a proper white whale of mine.

Honestly, I love berettas. I never have stopped loving berettas. I don't like shooting them, or much about them mechanically for that matter, but that doesn't stop me from loving them.

So a hot Beretta revolver would be something I would absolutely love to own.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Also,

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Also, they technically have some Beretta single action revolvers, not really.

Those little things I was unaware of, but they don't really interest me like the ported .357 from the early 80's in the picture.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

A 4" Minx or Bobcat would be so much god-damned fun

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Crosspost from the tacticlol thread, (which is now also the Beretta thread):

92 Combat on Gunbroker, opening bid is $3,500. I keep thinking about it... but then I think, "wouldn't you rather go on vacation in Europe for two weeks?"

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

"wouldn't you rather go on vacation in Europe for two weeks?"

No. Europe is a vacation destination for older folk thanks to infrastructure unless you plan to hike the Alps or something. Buy the pistol and take a cheaper vacation in Asia/Africa/South America while you still have stout enough legs to bounce around a more rough area.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Please say I'm not the only one who has done this. I was cleaning my M9 when I forgot to reengage the slide lock lever, I sent the slide forward, and sent the slide across my room. I feel like a pretty big idiot.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

How do you even do that? Put the slide back on and lock it with the slide release, then let the slide release go?

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Protons posted:

Please say I'm not the only one who has done this. I was cleaning my M9 when I forgot to reengage the slide lock lever, I sent the slide forward, and sent the slide across my room. I feel like a pretty big idiot.

I cleaned my issued weapon before turning it in, and instead of clearing it at the clearing barrel I left the slide locked back and handed it to the armorer. He inspected the chamber and released the slide, next thing he knows the spring and guide rod are flying past his face with the frame in his hand. Only reason PFC Flikken didn't get smoked right then and there is I had a PT test 15 minutes from then.

Millions Knives
Mar 8, 2005

They don't show anime on a daily basis in my mess hall!

I have done it, but in my defense I was Lance Corporal Knives cleaning like 25 pistols at once at the aromry.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

I was high on an Ambien when I was cleaning it, so there's that.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Operating Rod posted:

How do you even do that? Put the slide back on and lock it with the slide release, then let the slide release go?
It's a pretty obvious case of negative transfer. With a lot of guns, the last step of reassembly is, "pull slide to rear and engage slide stop, confirm chamber clear, release slide, pull trigger." On the 92 family or P226, you have to reengage the takedown lever in the middle of all that. Someone who is used to different guns could easily forget the extra step. (I may have sent a Beretta slide airborne before.)

Butch Cassidy posted:

No. Europe is a vacation destination for older folk thanks to infrastructure unless you plan to hike the Alps or something. Buy the pistol and take a cheaper vacation in Asia/Africa/South America while you still have stout enough legs to bounce around a more rough area.
Don't have any family in Asia/Africa/South America, but point taken. Still, it's an easier call when it isn't your $3,500
(I may be keeping my powder dry in case a G-SD or something else I really want comes up at a lower price.)

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Protons posted:

I was high on an Ambien when I was cleaning it, so there's that.

You should probably lock your guns up when you are on ambien. That stuff is not good.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Kommienzuspadt posted:

You should probably lock your guns up when you are on ambien. That stuff is not good.

Not sure if it makes it better or worse that he's deployed, haha.

And despite very explicit threats of violence from the CATM guys running my qual class prior to coming out here someone in it with me did exactly that (didn't reengage the takedown lever).

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's a pretty obvious case of negative transfer. With a lot of guns, the last step of reassembly is, "pull slide to rear and engage slide stop, confirm chamber clear, release slide, pull trigger." On the 92 family or P226, you have to reengage the takedown lever in the middle of all that. Someone who is used to different guns could easily forget the extra step. (I may have sent a Beretta slide airborne before.)

I'm used to 92s/84s and P226s, so .

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Summit has 9mm Cougars in stock with night sights:

http://summitgunbroker.com/8000-cougar-f.html

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Butch Cassidy posted:

Summit has 9mm Cougars in stock with night sights:

http://summitgunbroker.com/8000-cougar-f.html

Those are sweet. I wish they had some Mini Cougars though.

Emulator
Sep 20, 2007
perma-nub

So I'm shopping for my first handgun, after some playing around at the range with a variety of guns I've settled on getting a beretta 92. My dilemma - in the area, there are of course plenty of black 92FS's for sale, some 92A1's and one place has a bunch of 92FS Inox. I was thinking inox, but upon seeing and handling them, it seems they switched out all the stainless steel controls for black controls (which looks kinda horrible on an inox gun, IMO). Anyone know why beretta started doing this? Is it specific to the USA or Italian Inox? (I don't recall the country of origin on the Inox I looked at, I thought the guy said it was from italy but the only Inox models I've found online with black controls and rubber grips are the USA models)

Basically, should I search out an italian inox? Are they all just made this way now? If so, I may just stick with the standard black finish.

Rupert_Yeats
Jun 7, 2011

Emulator posted:

So I'm shopping for my first handgun, after some playing around at the range with a variety of guns I've settled on getting a beretta 92. My dilemma - in the area, there are of course plenty of black 92FS's for sale, some 92A1's and one place has a bunch of 92FS Inox. I was thinking inox, but upon seeing and handling them, it seems they switched out all the stainless steel controls for black controls (which looks kinda horrible on an inox gun, IMO). Anyone know why beretta started doing this? Is it specific to the USA or Italian Inox? (I don't recall the country of origin on the Inox I looked at, I thought the guy said it was from italy but the only Inox models I've found online with black controls and rubber grips are the USA models)

Basically, should I search out an italian inox? Are they all just made this way now? If so, I may just stick with the standard black finish.

Newer 92 inox guns not only have black controls, but are the frames are coated in some kind of lovely silver paint that starts to flake and chip instead of properly clear anodized. If you want an inox, try to get an older one. As far as a new 92fs or 92a1, make sure that you can field strip the gun in the store before you buy. I've seen at least a couple lately that have peening and gouges on the frame from burrs on the locking block.

Emulator
Sep 20, 2007
perma-nub

Rupert_Yeats posted:

Newer 92 inox guns not only have black controls, but are the frames are coated in some kind of lovely silver paint that starts to flake and chip instead of properly clear anodized. If you want an inox, try to get an older one. As far as a new 92fs or 92a1, make sure that you can field strip the gun in the store before you buy. I've seen at least a couple lately that have peening and gouges on the frame from burrs on the locking block.

That's some good advice, I actually made it a habit to ask every store owner to strip them in front of me when I go to look. Mostly so I can watch how they do it, then I make a pretense of inspecting the slide and whatnot (even though I have no idea what I'm looking for). Now, I actually have a clue! Thanks!

Open to any other suggestions/input, looking like pricing is around 625-650 for american made 92FS, 725 for the 92A1, 775 for the USA made 92FS Inox. I've heard the italian made 92FS is a little nicer/higher QC, so was going to aim for italian over american, but is that even true?

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Emulator posted:

IMO you should get the 92a1. A picatinny rail and a front sight post that you can drift out and replace with a better one are really really really important on a gun that you actually want to use to do stuff with. You can always get the gun refinished later.

Emulator
Sep 20, 2007
perma-nub

Kommienzuspadt posted:

IMO you should get the 92a1. A picatinny rail and a front sight post that you can drift out and replace with a better one are really really really important on a gun that you actually want to use to do stuff with. You can always get the gun refinished later.

I like the 92A1 but doubt I'll ever mount anything on the rail so wasn't sure if it was worth the extra $$$.

Millions Knives
Mar 8, 2005

They don't show anime on a daily basis in my mess hall!

The front sight is really where the extra money is at, but if you don't care about that you can find lightly used 92fs for around $400. Just be sure to check the locking block and the wear on the inside of the frame. If the gun has been shot a bunch it will be super obvious (finish wear, nicks, etc) but most used guns are usually not shot a lot. People buy them for some reason, shoot them maybe once or twice, then sell them when they need the money for something else. Most people who are going to shoot a gun into oblivion and to the point it will need new parts will prob just hang onto it because if they are shooting it that much why sell it?

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!

Fun Shoe

Watch Gunbroker auctions http://www.gunbroker.com/ . Even if you don't want to buy through Gunbroker, you will get an idea of the going price for used models. If you're in an area which has pawn shops start trolling them. Find the ones which buy and sell guns and check in on them once or twice a week. You will eventually see a 92FS come through. Be patient and you will probably get a good deal

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Be aware that 92A1 internals are not 100% identical to 92FS internals. They have carryover parts from the 90-Two, but in action it shouldn't matter much.

On the other hand, M9A1s are 92FS guns inside with a rail on the frame, have a fixed front sight, and a bevel in the magwell. Again, not really a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Emulator posted:

I like the 92A1 but doubt I'll ever mount anything on the rail so wasn't sure if it was worth the extra $$$.

If you ever use it for personal protection a weapon mounted light is a good investment. Otherwise its really just about the dovetailed front sight.