Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Scarf posted:

A buddy of mine won an ARX-100. And now I hate him.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to shoot it soon. He said he likes it, but isn't sure if he'll end up keeping it. Shoots well enough, but says it just feels so different from anything else that's out there.

Don't be mad, it's a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

92D Centurion at MORE_GUNS

These are neat little guns, and this one has enough character that someone can probably grab it for cheap.

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

Seriously though. These grips are anorexic.

These replaced a pair of alumagrips, already thinner than factory plastics, and they make a big difference in feel of the gun. In fact it feels exactly as thin to me as my P220 also wearing alumagrips.

You could get an idea of how they feel by removing the grips entirely and just wrapping your hand around the frame, but with some more ergonomic shaping and a gripable texture. There's even a thumb rest.

For anyone who ever thought they'd never want a 92 series because they're too thick, this could make it a whole new option for you. For someone who likes and has a 92 but still finds it a little too thick, these will be a big improvement. For someone who finds the Beretta just right, stay far away.

Of course now that Trausch is dead, none of us may ever see a pair for a reasonable price again.

Quickshanks fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 20, 2015

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.

This is interesting. I like the idea of those big slide serrations.

http://www.janes.com/article/49203/idex-2015-beretta-takes-the-wraps-off-its-striker-fired-apx

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Timely bump. What is the best way to get a hold of a Beretta 92D? I will be in the market in the next month or two. I am planning on buying one + sending it off to Wilson Combat for some custom work and really want to use a 92D as my base gun. For those who are curious, this is the work I have planned & priced out.... thoughts/suggestions are welcome. One thing I thought about is the Elite II hammer.. does that do anything except look neat?

Wilson Combat Basic Carry Package :
Action Tune
Contoured Mag Well
Battlesight rear Sight
Fluted steel guide rod
Armor-Tuff frame refinish
WC logo laser etch.
$340

+ArmorTuff Slide: $100
+FO Front Sight: $50
+Short Reach Trigger: $30
+Oversized Mag Release w/WC Logo $45
+Replace Recoil Spring $8

Total: $573 + Pistol

Kommienzuspadt fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 24, 2015

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

I think EII hammers are supposed to lock and drop faster? Not 100% on that.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Neo Mara posted:

I think EII hammers are supposed to lock and drop faster? Not 100% on that.

If it would contribute to a shorter, "better" DAO trigger I would splash out $45 for that.

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

It would have to do with how fast the gun cycles on locking, and the amount of mechanical force required to drop the hammer (trigger pull weight). Hammer can also drop faster, less weight means less work to start inertia. I don't think it would affect pretravel. Again, I could be wrong here.

Neo Mara fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 24, 2015

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Neo Mara posted:

It would have to do with how fast the gun cycles on locking, and the amount of mechanical force required to drop the hammer (trigger pull weight). Hammer can also drop faster, less weight means less work to start inertia. I don't think it would affect pretravel. Again, I could be wrong here.

I can always ask Wilson Combat when I call to place my work order. They have already been super helpful so far. First order of business, though, is to find a 92D...

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

A heavier hammer would allow the spring to be lighter. You get more momentum at the same amount of spring energy.

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

I think the idea is you keep a lighter spring. True you get less force on the hammer/primer, but outside of extremely hard primers, you still get reliable operation.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Kommienzuspadt posted:

If it would contribute to a shorter, "better" DAO trigger I would splash out $45 for that.

If you decide you don't want the D hammer, I've been looking for one.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Timely bump. What is the best way to get a hold of a Beretta 92D? I will be in the market in the next month or two. I am planning on buying one + sending it off to Wilson Combat for some custom work and really want to use a 92D as my base gun. For those who are curious, this is the work I have planned & priced out.... thoughts/suggestions are welcome. One thing I thought about is the Elite II hammer.. does that do anything except look neat?

Wilson Combat Basic Carry Package :
Action Tune
Contoured Mag Well
Battlesight rear Sight
Fluted steel guide rod
Armor-Tuff frame refinish
WC logo laser etch.
$340

+ArmorTuff Slide: $100
+FO Front Sight: $50
+Short Reach Trigger: $30
+Oversized Mag Release w/WC Logo $45
+Replace Recoil Spring $8

Total: $573 + Pistol

If you are getting all that poo poo and want to go all completist, maybe consider getting the WC magazine guide. My WC brigadier came with one installed. I didn't know what it was at first but I am liking it now, I just have the magazine hit that and it guides it right in. Makes it easier for me to reload without having to take my eyes off target. According to one review though, the floor plate on 20 round beretta magazines hits it. I have 18 round magazines and 15 round ones and they work fine.

This will be a pretty sweet setup after you find your 92D. If you get a really good deal on one, that won't be that much more than a brand new 92, but it will be a ton nicer. If I had money to burn I would get an old 92 that looked like it was dragged behind a truck and send that in for shits giggles.

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

Do Vertecs take different grips from regular 92FS's?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Duckboat posted:

Do Vertecs take different grips from regular 92FS's?

Yep.

Although you might be able to cut a set of regular grips to fit.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Tell me how stupid I am for wanting a $679 Brigadier on Gunbroker.

Also tell me how skinny VZ grips are compared to stock.

Thanks bunches.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

thermobollocks posted:

Tell me how stupid I am for wanting a $679 Brigadier on Gunbroker.

Also tell me how skinny VZ grips are compared to stock.

Thanks bunches.

What kind of Brigadier?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

infrared35 posted:

What kind of Brigadier?

Blued and 9mm. Most importantly, available :razz:

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

thermobollocks posted:

Blued and 9mm. Most importantly, available :razz:

FS, G, D?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

FS. G, I'd already have sold my least favorite gun or something to get it.

Edit: Piss on a shingle, there's a G brigadier for cheaper :stare:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Wilson can make that FS a G if your heart truly desires.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

thermobollocks posted:

FS. G, I'd already have sold my least favorite gun or something to get it.

Edit: Piss on a shingle, there's a G brigadier for cheaper :stare:

You do know Beretta is currently making new 92Gs, and just did a limited run of G-SDs?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Dead Reckoning posted:

You do know Beretta is currently making new 92Gs, and just did a limited run of G-SDs?

Yeah, which is why I've seen any of them at all as opposed to none.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Are you talking about the Wilson Combat ones? Or did Beretta start making them on their own?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Begby posted:

Are you talking about the Wilson Combat ones? Or did Beretta start making them on their own?

They're doing their own, but especially on the 92G-SD if their .22 slides are any indication they'll actually ship about the time The Simpsons gets cancelled and sell for waaaay more than I want to pay :(

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

I poked around on the Beretta forum, the new 92G-SDs have been in the wild for a little while now. There are two on gun broker as I write this, and quite a few online dealers are showing them in stock. Looks like they are going to be around $1100 though. You might as well spring for a wilson at that price unless you just don't like the wilson look or want rear night sights.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Begby posted:

I poked around on the Beretta forum, the new 92G-SDs have been in the wild for a little while now. There are two on gun broker as I write this, and quite a few online dealers are showing them in stock. Looks like they are going to be around $1100 though. You might as well spring for a wilson at that price unless you just don't like the wilson look or want rear night sights.

The selling point for me is being able to slap a Dawson front on it, and have a gunsmith do unholy things to it with some ceramic stones so I can have a 6# DA pull and still ignite factory ammo. The features of the G-SD are nifty but not really what I'm after.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

thermobollocks posted:

The selling point for me is being able to slap a Dawson front on it, and have a gunsmith do unholy things to it with some ceramic stones so I can have a 6# DA pull and still ignite factory ammo.

Who are you planning to send it to?

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012

So spent some time with a borrowed ARX100 and now its starting to grow on me. The short length or pull wasnt a big problem when I was shooting but it does need a better charging handle. Really thinking about scooping one up since I freed up some space in my safe. Whats the goon thought on one of these and whats the going price these days? Some people said they got theirs for less than 1300. Something about its oddballness calls out to me.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

:frogon:

Are those mock-ups, or has Beretta made Christmas come early?

DakianDelomast
Mar 5, 2003

Dead Reckoning posted:

:frogon:

Are those mock-ups, or has Beretta made Christmas come early?

How much money do you have?

http://www.berettacollection.com/9mm/92FS-2.htm

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

Holy poo poo a frame safety. I didn't realize those existed.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

We put up 2 Beretta shooting review this weekend.

One on the BM59 and the other on the ARX100.

I have to say, that ARX is a loving great machine.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Mishaco posted:

I have to say, that ARX is a loving great machine.

If I made a little more money, I would buy the ARX and a Mini-14 to be derpy poodleshooter buds with my MR1.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Mortabis posted:

Holy poo poo a frame safety. I didn't realize those existed.
I have this 96 Combat that I posted a couple of pages ago and while it's an amazing pistol, the frame safety is so large with hard edges as to be annoying. It's super easy to bang your fingers on it even when it's down while racking the slide if you use the rear serrations. It's actually more annoying that the slide mounted safety in that regard. I just use the front serrations to rack it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I know about those, but a few in that picture (the centurion length on the left, the M9A1 on the lower right with Combat grip panels) are definitely new configurations, or some super rich guy mixing and matching slides and frames.

Yuns posted:

I have this 96 Combat that I posted a couple of pages ago and while it's an amazing pistol, the frame safety is so large with hard edges as to be annoying. It's super easy to bang your fingers on it even when it's down while racking the slide if you use the rear serrations. It's actually more annoying that the slide mounted safety in that regard. I just use the front serrations to rack it.
How's the trigger?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Dead Reckoning posted:

How's the trigger?
Single action only at about 2.9 to 3.1 lbs on the Lyman. Overtravel stop and pretravel/takeup adjustment. I hae it set to almost no overtravel and barely enough takeup to allow reset. Trigger is light and crisp with short travel. Reset is not the shortest in the world but it is reasonably short.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Wilson Combat is now selling G10 grips for the 92/96 in an ultra-thin grip profile. I have a feeling I would really love these, but at the same time I'm not sure I dislike factory grips or my existing Wilson G10's enough to drop $80+ on them right now. I suppose I'll pick some up to try eventually when I've got some extra money and nothing else to do with it.

Link to the Dirty Olive version, other colors available as well:

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-G10-Grips-ULTRA-THIN-with-WC-Logo-Dirty-Olive-Beretta-92_96/productinfo/728-FS-UT-DO/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Final Blog Entry posted:

Wilson Combat is now selling G10 grips for the 92/96 in an ultra-thin grip profile. I have a feeling I would really love these, but at the same time I'm not sure I dislike factory grips or my existing Wilson G10's enough to drop $80+ on them right now. I suppose I'll pick some up to try eventually when I've got some extra money and nothing else to do with it.

Link to the Dirty Olive version, other colors available as well:

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-G10-Grips-ULTRA-THIN-with-WC-Logo-Dirty-Olive-Beretta-92_96/productinfo/728-FS-UT-DO/

I've never shot a 92 but I've shot a PT92 and my tiny hands have trouble with the chunky factory grips. If I ever get a beater 92 I'll have to look into those grips.