Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DakianDelomast
Mar 5, 2003

Duckboat posted:

What are the odds of the sights of my Vertec being off from the factory versus me being a lovely shot who shoots consistently left?

I am perfectly willing to accept being a lovely shot, I just want to eliminate variables here.

Been there. "There's no way that my shooting can be that far off!!" Shooting off a rest will also help dispel this logic trap. You're new, pistols take practice, get a 22 for training and dryfire the Vertec a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

Will constant dryfire gradually lighten the godawful DA trigger pull or just strengthen my finger and get me used to it?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

I think the solution that everyone uses is to switch to the D spring. Most people don't seem to have light strike problems. In any handgun I've ever had, putting rounds through it smooths out the trigger pull but doesn't make it much lighter.

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

I've only been reticent about installing a D spring because this gun will be on home defense duty and reliability is paramount.

E: I know Yuns said light strikes weren't common, I just didn't want to take the chance.

Duckboat fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 14, 2015

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

Duckboat posted:

I've only been reticent about installing a D spring because this gun will be on home defense duty and reliability is paramount.

E: I know Yuns said light strikes weren't common, I just didn't want to take the chance.

92D guns are not less reliable than 92FS guns.

Do not be concerned.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The INS, Border Patrol, and several police departments used D guns for years without reporting any problems. Unless your HD ammo is European 9mm surplus ball, I wouldn't worry about it.

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

Killing planets since 1876

Duckboat posted:

I've got D springs in both my 92FS and my 96FS and neither have had problems with light strikes beyond one box of cheap ammo that had the same problem every 3 rounds or so with a Glock, the Beretta, a Sig, and another .40 pistol (can't remember what it was)...it was just a bad box of ammo apparently. Beyond that I've had no problems and it improves the DA pull dramatically...before I hated it and now I love using it.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Just ditched the polymer trigger my 92 came with for a steel one.

DA improved a bit. My polymer unit was pretty fuzzy looking which I guess explains the grit that cleaned up.

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

I've been using an Ed Brown mainspring meant to give a light trigger pull to a 1911 in my Beretta, significantly lighter than the D spring. While I obviously wouldn't recommend doing this in a Beretta intended for defense, the fact that I've had no problems at all with it says to me that the significantly heavier D spring should be a pretty reliable option.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

What weight 1911 spring are you using?

I've read of people using reduced-power 1911 springs in guns that have been sent to Wilson Combat for action work getting truly silly DA weights, and apparently without awful light strike issues.

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

I think the Ed Brown I put in is a 19 lb. People apparently put 16 pound springs in Wilson Combats and still get carry-reliable ignition. Supposedly, the elite hammer can help with this. Since it is heavier than the stock hammer, it ignites primers more reliably even with a lighter spring. This may be BS though.

I bought the Ed Browns in a five pack on a whim. There is one in my Beretta, one in my S&W 1006, and one in my S&W 52. It works reliably in all three and makes a whole world of difference in each. I think if I ever planned to carry the 1006 as a weapon, like in the woods, I'd switch back to stock, but it's been perfectly reliable so far. With the stock hammer spring in the 52, I could not fire it double action more than seven times in a row. It was simply that heavy. With the 1911 spring in it is heavenly.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Bill Wilson has been pretty active in the Wilson Combat 92 Brig Tac thread over at the Beretta forum. 92 spring discussion has come up here and there, and Bill has put up some good posts on the subject.

Bill Wilson posted:

The following factors effect which hammer spring you can use with 100% ignition:

Primers, Federal and USA mfg Win (what you get when you buy Win carry ammo or Win primers for re-loading, not necessarily in white box) are the easiest to light. Personally I use nothing but Federal.

Primer seating depth, primers must be .003"-.005" below flush for maximum sensitivity.

Hammer dimensions (some arch more than others DA)

Trigger bar dimensions (some make the hammer arch more than others)

If my pistol had good hammer arch and I was using Fed/Win primers I'd feel good about a 13# chrome silicone hammer spring in my carry gun. As a reference BJ Norris one of our sponsored pro shooters runs a 12# CS with 3 coils clipped off in his competition pistol with good Fed primer ignition.

When I refer to good hammer arch you can ck by dry firing the pistol DA and watching where the hammer gets to before it falls. If the front face of the hammer reached the top of the rear frame rails or more the pistol has good hammer arch. Some hammer/trigger bar combinations will be considerably short of this location and will require a heavier hammer spring to obtain the same ignition as one that has good arch. The hammer simply has more momentum when it hits the firing pin when it's coming from a more cocked position, why SA ignition is always more reliable than DA.

As to recoil springs, I wouldn't run a recoil spring of less than 13# in a carry gun.

My Brig Tac has the action tune, so it has a 13# spring in it. The trigger pull is fan-loving-tastic, but I have experienced a couple of light strikes over several hundred rounds of new production Freedom Munitions. No problems with anything else I've fed it, but I would probably stick with the D for defensive use.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Beretta really did take some extra time on those guns. I've compared mine (no action work) to the three other D-sprung guns I own, and the Wilson has a noticeably nicer DA trigger.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!

Fun Shoe

DeesGrandpa posted:

Back in the Beretta game :toot:

You have good taste in guns 102 buddy.

I found some mags a while back. If you want, I'll try to re-trace where I got them from.
I lucked out and got some magazine spacers from a guy on the Beretta forum. I ended up with 3 complete mags w/ spacers.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

I just received some 15 round Mec-Gar Beretta 96 magazines for my 96 Combat. They are anti-friction coated and seem high quality. The extended baseplate is a little clunky looking but is grooved in the front to complement the front grip texture of the Beretta. It's nice to have 15 rounds in a 40S&W.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

GEEKABALL posted:

You have good taste in guns 102 buddy.

I found some mags a while back. If you want, I'll try to re-trace where I got them from.
I lucked out and got some magazine spacers from a guy on the Beretta forum. I ended up with 3 complete mags w/ spacers.

That would rule, I'd love to find some more magazines.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Yuns posted:

It's nice to have 15 rounds in a 40S&W.
Sounds like a Glock 22, lol

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

z06ck posted:

Sounds like a Glock 22, lol

Except infinitely classier.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

infrared35 posted:

Except infinitely classier.

Agree, just sayin'

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!

Fun Shoe

DeesGrandpa posted:

That would rule, I'd love to find some more magazines.

http://www.gun-parts.com/magazines/
Web site looks kinda iffy but is legit. The mags I got were aftermarket but have worked well so far. When I get a chance I will see if I can find the contact info for the spacer guy. He was making them on a 3-d printer and I got a couple of his test examples.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I picked up my Beretta Centennial and the fit is insane. Frankly I thought it had a fancy finish but was made out of regular Beretta 92 parts other than the SAO and frame mounted safety. However, the fit is insanely tight and it does not look like they just put together parts bin stuff. I can't field strip it because the fit is too tight. The slide gets stuck as I try to slide it off. Does anyone have any tips for disassembly? I own other Berettas so its not like I don't know how.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Anyone want a $450 police surplus (!) 90-Two? I'd mash the buy it now button but .40 :argh:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=491646026

Basticle fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 28, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I really want to know which PD adopted the 90-Two as a standard sidearm.

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

I really want to know which PD adopted the 90-Two as a standard sidearm.

I mean, it kind of makes sense if you squint. Adjustable grips for different sized hands, accessory rail. Makes more sense than a regular 92 FS, except for price.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Noone said snything about a standard sidearm, its more likely a buy-your-own type department rule (or the seller could be just making it up).

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

I did some target shooting with my 92FS last week and then cleaned it up and re-lubed it (dryphite graphite lube...it runs like a top with that poo poo). I meant to do the same with my 96FS...but I didn't get around to it.

Its one of my favorite pistols (though I have a few favorites...my vz.82, S&W 586, and my Colt 1991A1 all rank up there for different reasons)...and it probably fits my hand better than anything else (though the vz.82 is pretty damned close in that department). At some point I will probably get a 92G of some sort (ideally a 92G-SD or something else I could slap night sights into), but I don't see myself ever selling this one; it was the first pistol I bought that I kept and didn't sell when I was trying to find one I liked (and it was also the first one I really really liked).

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

That looks great.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Basticle posted:

Anyone want a $450 police surplus (!) 90-Two? I'd mash the buy it now button but .40 :argh:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=491646026

This got relisted with a BIN of $400 FYI

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

May I join in?

First post to TFR, first handgun. Bought a PX4 in 9mm on the advice of my cop cousins. No pictures since everyone know what it looks like. Took it to the range today, had a good time, except for loading those loving tight magazines. Signed up for a CCW class starting next week.

Now yell at me for my horrible decisions, etc.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I can't help but like PX4s, even if they do look funny.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Is it the compact, or the subcompact? Either way, the low profile slide catch and low profile G decocker lever are nice upgrades.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Full size. Designated range gun, will decide on a CCW model (compact?) later.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

beefnoodle posted:

May I join in?

First post to TFR, first handgun. Bought a PX4 in 9mm on the advice of my cop cousins. No pictures since everyone know what it looks like. Took it to the range today, had a good time, except for loading those loving tight magazines. Signed up for a CCW class starting next week.

I won't yell at you for that. My first handgun was a PX4, I liked it. My mags were a bitch to load as well. Easy gun to work on.

Best factory DA trigger I've felt, easy to convert from F to G, low profile levers, nice soft shooter.

Very amusing that a big-name personality shat all over them at launch and like this past week Ernest Langdon just wrote up how much he likes them... on that personality's website.

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

beefnoodle posted:

May I join in?

I can't yell at you. My first pistol was a loving Bersa Mini-Firestorm (a loving Mini-Firestorm)! In loving .40S&W...horrible first pistol choice on my part. You did much much better than I did. I mean look at that ugly fucker:

I traded it off years ago...I can't remember if I traded it for my 92FS (pictured several posts above) or for my RIA 1911...I think it was the RIA (I'm pretty sure it was actually)...but either way I was happy to trade it for something I actually enjoyed shooting.

I also shot my 92FS and my 96 last week and that was fun...I then cleaned them! I may shoot them some more tomorrow if the weather permits...I always forget how much fun shooting .40S&W is out of a large gun like the 96.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

:golfclap: Excellent use of the clone tool.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Dead Reckoning posted:

:monocle:

But yeah, the PX4 series is awesome, at least the full-size and compacts. They're not even bad in .40. Don't know about the subcompacts though, since those have a different locking system.

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

I couldn't help myself! It just begged to be done!

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

Does anyone know if the cx4 beretta 92 magazine adapter is still being sold? It seems to be out of stock everywhere and I want to use the much much cheaper 92 mags.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Well, a Beretta AR70 Sporter popped up on GB for what passes today for a very reasonable (even low?) price, and since the BuyNow was the same as the starting price, i skooped it up.

It will go nicely between my SA Beretta BM59 and Beretta ARX100.

Speaking of the ARX, seriously guys it is a loving awesome .223 rifle. I've had mine since last Christmas and its just been fan-loving-tastic.
It has no felt recoil, is accurate, very lightweight, and easy to disassemble for cleaning.

OK, will shut up now. Maybe some of you will try the ARX out one day though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Mishaco posted:

Well, a Beretta AR70 Sporter popped up on GB for what passes today for a very reasonable (even low?) price, and since the BuyNow was the same as the starting price, i skooped it up.

It will go nicely between my SA Beretta BM59 and Beretta ARX100.

Speaking of the ARX, seriously guys it is a loving awesome .223 rifle. I've had mine since last Christmas and its just been fan-loving-tastic.
It has no felt recoil, is accurate, very lightweight, and easy to disassemble for cleaning.

OK, will shut up now. Maybe some of you will try the ARX out one day though.

I thought the ARX was supposed to be a bit of a "meh" rifle? Even before taking price into consideration?