Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Basticle posted:

Is there a way to visually tell the difference between a type c and type d if you cant see the markings?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=509411293

I asked the seller and several days later they got back to me and said its a type c if any of you want to try to hit the reserve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

As far as I know, the only way to tell the C and D Storms apart visually is if you can a shot of the back of the slide. If the hammer appears to be halfway cocked and sitting more or less flush with the back of the slide, it's a C. The D guns, the hammer is at rest down inside the slide recess.

But if a C gun has its trigger pressed and the hammer is all the way forward, they look the same.

Edit: Type C, with the hammer pre-cocked:

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 29, 2015

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Back to these, is that an Air Force unit insignia from someone stationed in Thailand during 'Nam?

E: And is there a decent way to tell if they are actually pewter/English metal/whatever? Still awesome, at any rate.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 30, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Man, I've always wanted a 92 barrel weight and target grips, but unfortunately I couldn't stretch to $1,600

Butch Cassidy posted:

Back to these, is that an Air Force unit insignia from someone stationed in Thailand during 'Nam?
The crossed arrows and torch looks more like an Army insignia, but my casual look didn't turn up anything.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Will hopefully have time to find out. I bid on them after talking to the guy who bought my 84 and deciding one of us would own them and we could go halfsies before deciding which.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Could be the insignia of a Thai unit, SE Asian military units often sported insignia that mimicked US units.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Hah, glad to see that auction has stirred something up. I rarely find exciting and interesting old beretta grips.

I am not certain how to tell what they are made of, but I think they are actually silver. They look like something someone cast at home.

With Siam and '63 on there I'd start off with looking at Thai units.

Has anyone discussed the.. script? Writing? at the top/bottom of the right panel?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

With a single year engraved, it really feels liks an American's tour.

I also have a feeling that the original grips were used to make the mold. The whole thing is so unique, garagineered, and brings up so many questions that I need it in my hands.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

gently caress edit:

Won the grips. Off to the bank to put the pooled cash in my fun account to pay for them. :yaycloud:

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Congratulations. I suspect you now own a rather interesting bit of militaria. I'm really going to be curious to see what you find on them.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Spartan 5150 posted:

Is there any reason they stopped making the 96G Elite? I'm quite fond of mine and a buddy is looking for one new.

Yo 5150, tell your buddy here's his chance. Best get on that, because I don't know if the Elites are going to be renewed on the roster after the 1st of the year.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Compact L D :catdrugs:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=513376336

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

U.N.F.

:flashfap:

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Why the gently caress have none of you bid on that yet?

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

infrared35 posted:

Done.

You happy?

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

Centurion model made in USA.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

infrared35 posted:

I fully planned to watch it for a couple days and sell poo poo to fund a bid if it looked like it would go for $affordable.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Butch Cassidy posted:

I fully planned to watch it for a couple days and sell poo poo to fund a bid if it looked like it would go for $affordable.

I only have that opening bid on there, feel free to outbid me.

I just figure if no one else bid and I won it for 200 I would be happy, anything more and someone else should own it.

Oddly enough I have won a number of guns in just this fashion.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Man that seller also has an Uzi carbine made by Norinco (!?) :wtc:

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

It's a thing. :china:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Grips came in:

Going to try talking the guy into swinging by with the 84BB to try fitting them with a camera handy.

Between the garage-grade casting and engraving, I feel like there is a very high chance the silver is melted down old style quarters. Also have a hunch the original grips were used to make the mold. With the script following the same pattern as the English, I assume it is Thai? Not a linguist and a brief-ish trip to :google: was no help. Likewise with the insignia.

Being honest, I hope the guy decides not to keep these and lets me buy out his part of the purchase price. But he is enough of a nerd that they would be going to an appreciative home if he does keep them.

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

It wasn't even called Siam in '63.

These grips are designed to be a mindfuck.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Quickshanks posted:

It wasn't even called Siam in '63.

These grips are designed to be a mindfuck.

Lots of these old weird militaria pieces are like that. Dudes made them for all sorts of reasons to commemorate lord knows what. It's sad they aren't in the original family.

On another note.

Wasn't the gun they go on not actually designed until the mid 1970s?

Also, my grandmother called it Siam because she liked the sound of it. Old people do that.

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

This book says all the military units in Thailand in 63 were wierd non combat support units. It will end up belonging to some guy in the 873rd Dump Truck Maintenance Company that doesn't even exist anymore.

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

Idle thought: is it possible to rebarrel a 96 into .357Sig?

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Butch Cassidy posted:

Grips came in:

Going to try talking the guy into swinging by with the 84BB to try fitting them with a camera handy.

Between the garage-grade casting and engraving, I feel like there is a very high chance the silver is melted down old style quarters. Also have a hunch the original grips were used to make the mold. With the script following the same pattern as the English, I assume it is Thai? Not a linguist and a brief-ish trip to :google: was no help. Likewise with the insignia.

Being honest, I hope the guy decides not to keep these and lets me buy out his part of the purchase price. But he is enough of a nerd that they would be going to an appreciative home if he does keep them.

Looks to me like someone tried to copy the crest of the Green Berets, and hosed it up.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

That would actually make them even more nifty in my eyes :allears:

And yeah, the Beretta 8x series came out well after the sixties.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Duckboat posted:

Yes. Not sure how reliably the mags would work but I know some beautiful bastards have done it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Duckboat posted:

It's been done, but apparently it's not healthy for the alloy frame, and eats locking blocks faster.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Lol

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

:siren: 92G VERTEC :siren: :gizz:

One of y'all better get this. gently caress youuuuu, California!

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'd be all over it if it was a 96. :rubshands:

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Unrelated note: Beretta 92FS Compact grips will not fit the Type M. :(

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Will 92SB Type M grips fit it?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I dont know if its been discussed here but the M9A3 is coming to the civilian market soon. Vertec Grip, replaceable tritium sights, threaded barrel, FDE finish. Street price seems to be $900-$950 :lol:

I mean I know if it was a SIG with the same features it'd be like $1200 but jesus christ.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Sort of; they need to be cut to accommodate the larger hammer pin of the FS series. :effort:

The wood grips are awesome, but they're probably no thinner than the factory plastic anyway. :(

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

Just picked up a 92FS vertec or I'd be all over this. All it needs is a brigadier slide to be perfect.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

BadgerMan45 posted:

Just picked up a 92FS vertec or I'd be all over this. All it needs is a brigadier slide to be perfect.

Wouldnt that basically make it an Elite?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The Elite had a standard grip profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I looked it up and I'm thinking of the Elite IA which is a dumb name but whatever