Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Has anyone here used one of the Ceiner Beretta .22 conversions? I know the guy is an rear end, but my dad wouldn't mind getting one if they aren't junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

IuniusBrutus posted:

Has anyone here used one of the Ceiner Beretta .22 conversions? I know the guy is an rear end, but my dad wouldn't mind getting one if they aren't junk.

No idea on the quality of his Beretta conversions, but he may be a little preoccupied with other problems to sell you one.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Reading this thread makes me want one of the 92Fs that Robertson Trading Post has. $369 for a LA County trade-in + 15rd preban mag (Not that this matters - the store is semi-local to me and I'd like one with lots of honest wear on it). It's really tempting to get one at the start of next year, and they look like beefy 9mm guns.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEEvh3wYFps

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I really want an ARX 160.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I want 8. :zoid:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Ugly as sin, but I want one. It would be my one obligatory black rifle.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

OK, questions on Beretta pistols, specifically 9mm. A) $663 + tax, NICS, etc. seems like a decent price for a NIB Beretta M9A1 pistol, any thoughts on better prices? I've seen them for $588 elsewhere, but when you add in shipping, FFL fee, etc. you're approaching parity with a B&M store.
What sets the M9A1 apart from different Beretta 92 models? Are these differences significant? C) Does anyone have any experience with the Model 87 Target in .22?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

C) Does anyone have any experience with the Model 87 Target in .22?

I shot a friend's. they are very accurate, very nice triggers, but they are really expensive when I do see them, usually around $550.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Sad day at the range with my 92 :( Had two FTEs again, this time with Silver Bear 115gr FMJ. Guess that's what I get for listening to a buddy tell me his Silver Bear works fine in all his guns :v:

I had cleaned the crap out of my extractor and chamber after the last range trip o' FTEs, and I brought 100 rounds today to see if that had resolved the problem. The first FTE was about 35 rounds in. I locked the slide back, dropped the magazine, and very gently eased the slide forward until the extractor claw grabbed the rim again. I then pulled back, gradually adding strength, until the case popped out. This is what it looked like (click for huger):

What the hell could cause the case to deform like this? :confused:

Stupidly, I decided to keep on testing. Five or so rounds later, another FTE :sigh: I did the above procedure again, but somehow this time the case wouldn't come loose. I had to get a dowel from the range, but it came out easily with that. The case wasn't deformed at all this time, though. I took a pic of it once I got home:

I don't get it. In any case, I guess I'll just never ever again use any steel-cased ammo in this gun.

Tangentially related, and I should probably post the story in the confessions thread, but anyone want 400+ rounds of Silver Bear 9mm that I bought too much of before ensuring it'd work in my gun? :v:

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Maybe now's the time to replace your extractor spring? Or get your chamber really cleaned out and polished if that's not a horrible thing to do to a 92.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Took my 92 out for the first time, last weekend. I only ran one 20-rounder through it, but goddamn it fed like poo poo. The first few rounds didn't even strip from the magazine, and a couple after that paused the slide for a split second. Of course, the springs on those things are tight as poo poo (which is why I bought a lula to load them). Maybe it'll get better as it breaks in, since it fed fine after a few more rounds.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

SadWhaleFamily posted:

Maybe now's the time to replace your extractor spring? Or get your chamber really cleaned out and polished if that's not a horrible thing to do to a 92.

Well, I scrubbed it out with a brass brush just now, and it's as shiny as I can get it. In any case, I did a little test with some fired cases I found lying around the house. The steel cases from today will not fit into the chamber if I drop them in. I found a couple of fired brass cases, and they drop right in.

Guess that means I have 459 rounds of ammo I can't shoot :(

Related: is it safe to keep 59 rounds of loose ammo rolling around in a cardboard box? :v:

edit: 459_rounds_of_sad.jpg

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 17, 2011

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Well, I scrubbed it out with a brass brush just now, and it's as shiny as I can get it. In any case, I did a little test with some fired cases I found lying around the house. The steel cases from today will not fit into the chamber if I drop them in. I found a couple of fired brass cases, and they drop right in.

Guess that means I have 459 rounds of ammo I can't shoot :(

Related: is it safe to keep 59 rounds of loose ammo rolling around in a cardboard box? :v:

edit: 459_rounds_of_sad.jpg

You only had a couple FTEs dawg. Its fine for practice ammo don't sweat it.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Kommienzuspadt posted:

You only had a couple FTEs dawg. Its fine for practice ammo don't sweat it.

This is two FTEs in 41 rounds, and this is after three FTEs in 100 rounds of TulAmmo previously. Five of the same kind of failure in fewer than 150 rounds seems a bit high of a rate to me.

Anyway, should I just suck it up and bring my brass dowels with me to every range trip?

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

This is two FTEs in 41 rounds, and this is after three FTEs in 100 rounds of TulAmmo previously. Five of the same kind of failure in fewer than 150 rounds seems a bit high of a rate to me.

Anyway, should I just suck it up and bring my brass dowels with me to every range trip?

Seems to me your gun might be hosed for Russian steel-cased ammo. I guess it's possible to ream out the chamber to loosen up tolerances, but I can't really recommend that as I don't know how much that entails destroying your gun. :(

I'll buy that ammo off you if you want. :riker:

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Have you tried running any brass ammo through it yet? If you have issues with that too, you might need an extractor.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Oh sorry I totally misread your post. 5 in 150 is pretty bad. That said I'd still shoot it just maybe not for something like IDPA where I dont want to be clearing stoppages if I can help it. Still fine to plink with or whatever.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

I locked the slide back, dropped the magazine, and very gently eased the slide forward until the extractor claw grabbed the rim again. I then pulled back, gradually adding strength, until the case popped out. This is what it looked like (click for huger):

What the hell could cause the case to deform like this? :confused:

In my experience, that kind of case-mouth deformation really only happens when the extracted case bangs into the receiver somewhere on its way out. How forcefully did it eject when you got it to pop out?

I'm really, really leaning towards you getting your extractor or extractor spring replaced. Where did you get the brass casings from? Also shot through your 92G or somewhere else?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

IuniusBrutus posted:

Have you tried running any brass ammo through it yet? If you have issues with that too, you might need an extractor.

Seconding the "try brass ammo" thing. Or thirding, or whatever. I've seen a lot of high round count Berettas and I've never seen one that needed a new extractor or spring. I'm guessing the inelasticity of the steel cases plus the dirtiness of the powder and whatever they coat the casings in plus the weakness of the powder charge in typical cheap, steel-cased ammo is a recipe for extraction and ejection problems.

Wolf is the only ammo that I've seen jam up my Glock 17C and my USPc. Even powderpuff reloads barely strong enough to cycle the action work more reliably.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Now that I think about it, I don't think I have run brass ammo through this gun. I'll try a couple boxes of those next time.

I really really hope I won't need a new extractor or extractor spring, but from the sound of it, I'm pretty sure it's just the steel cases.

SadWhaleFamily posted:

In my experience, that kind of case-mouth deformation really only happens when the extracted case bangs into the receiver somewhere on its way out. How forcefully did it eject when you got it to pop out?

The stuck case didn't pop out particularly forcefully. I guess it banged into the cutout in the barrel where the extractor claw goes or something.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

infrared35 posted:

Seconding the "try brass ammo" thing. Or thirding, or whatever. I've seen a lot of high round count Berettas and I've never seen one that needed a new extractor or spring. I'm guessing the inelasticity of the steel cases plus the dirtiness of the powder and whatever they coat the casings in plus the weakness of the powder charge in typical cheap, steel-cased ammo is a recipe for extraction and ejection problems.

Wolf is the only ammo that I've seen jam up my Glock 17C and my USPc. Even powderpuff reloads barely strong enough to cycle the action work more reliably.

You have a 17C? WTF man you seriously are a gun library.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Naramyth posted:

You have a 17C? WTF man you seriously are a gun library.

Used to have. I sold it when I realized I couldn't use it in IDPA, and it wasn't great for home defense what with the porting.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

infrared35 posted:

Used to have. I sold it when I realized I couldn't use it in IDPA, and it wasn't great for home defense what with the porting.

Boo. :(

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Naramyth posted:

Boo. :(

What?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Boo! :neckbeard:

Today I ran 100 rounds of Winchester (i.e., brass-cased ammo) through my 92. No failures. I am hopeful. When I have more time, I will run another 100-round value box ammo.

Looks like I won't be using all this Silver Bear anymore. Good thing some dumbass good buddy has offered to buy it off me at cost, though :shobon:

SixthFloorFreak
Jun 18, 2005

My M&P loves that Silver Bear ammo...weird that the Beretta won't shoot it

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Today I ran 100 rounds of Winchester (i.e., brass-cased ammo) through my 92. No failures. I am hopeful. When I have more time, I will run another 100-round value box ammo.

Looks like I won't be using all this Silver Bear anymore. Good thing some dumbass good buddy has offered to buy it off me at cost, though :shobon:

The answer is never selling ammo.

It is buying more guns until one eats it reliably.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

listen maybe your good buddy just has guns that aren't fuckin broken if it can't shoot Silver Bear, huh???

Anyway I'll buy it off you if your dumbass doesn't. :haw:

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

Hey what's this I've read about using a 92's D-spring in an F-type PX4 to improve the trigger a little?

Does that actually work?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

What?

:glomp:

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I'm almost upset about this

sell me your 92G

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

If I pass up a Beretta 92 Compact with two full-size 15 round 92 mags in excellent internal condition and very carried, but well-loved eternal condition for $375, will I hate myself?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Butch Cassidy posted:

If I pass up a Beretta 92 Compact with two full-size 15 round 92 mags in excellent internal condition and very carried, but well-loved eternal condition for $375, will I hate myself?

Not only will you hate yourself, WE will hate you. There will be hate aplenty. A parade of hate, if you will.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'm on a tight budget until Christmas, but I'll see if I can talk him into doing a long-term layaway so I don't miss it.

It's a consignment piece that he is offering me a discount on for being a reliable regular, so he may not be able to hold it that long.

Edit: If he can't hold it for a month, I am seriously considering putting in a few hours of overtime each week to get it now-ish.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 19, 2011

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Butch Cassidy posted:

I'm on a tight budget until Christmas, but I'll see if I can talk him into doing a long-term layaway so I don't miss it.

It's a consignment piece that he is offering me a discount on for being a reliable regular, so he may not be able to hold it that long.

Does it have any 13-round mags?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

No, but I can still buy new ones from Beretta.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 19, 2011

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Butch Cassidy posted:

No, but I can still buy new ones from Beretta.

Yeah, they're out there. Mec-Gar probably still makes them, too. I was just curious.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Someone in this thread has to have a 1201FP.

Give it to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Gray Stormy posted:

Someone in this thread has to have a 1201FP.

Give it to me.

I tried to give you mine but you were all like, "nah, what would I need the second-coolest shotgun in the world for?"

:v: