Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Is there any easy way to make a Beretta 92's SA trigger less creepy? I've seen that you can swap a spring to improve the DA pull, which I don't care too much about, but the SA has a lot of take-up and I hate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Well everyone has their own terminology when it comes to things like "creep" and "takeup". If you mean the weight of the trigger pull, swapping the mainspring to one from a Beretta 92D helps lighten that some. If you mean the amount of slack in the trigger before you begin to feel real resistance, I'm not aware of a way to remove that. If you mean actual movement in the trigger after that point before the hammer actually falls, you can smooth out that part of the pull by lightly modifying your hammer. What you're feeling is the sear dragging against the hammer as it attempts to disengage.

The notch circled in red is the part that engages the sear when firing in single action. The smoother this edge is and the closer it is to 90 degrees even, the crisper your trigger will be. I'll try to get a picture of my own gun's hammer - I filed that edge a bit and the trigger has practically no drag at that stage of the pull now; it's very crisp.

edit: durr had the wrong part circled

edit 2: Pictures!

As you can see, I've got that notch, the one in the top right, daaaaaamn near 90 degrees. You can also see I smoothed out the raised 'ring' on the side of the hammer. Since that's the part that carries all the friction when the hammer moves, smoothing it out takes grit out of the pull and lightens it slightly.

This angle doesn't show much except for the lines of missing finish where I (carefully) attacked it with a file.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 12, 2011

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

O great Beretta thread, if I am seriously considering getting some sort of Cheetah, and if I am fairly certain I have it narrowed down to either the 84 or 85, should I go for the single stack or double stack?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

iyaayas01 posted:

...either the 84 or 85, should I go for the single stack or double stack?

The 84 is identical in dimension to the CZ 82. If you want thinner to avoid buying something so similar, then the 85 would be your option.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Butch Cassidy posted:

The 84 is identical in dimension to the CZ 82. If you want thinner to avoid buying something so similar, then the 85 would be your option.

Well then, I think that answers that.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

iyaayas01 posted:

Well then, I think that answers that.

Try them both out, if you can, to see how they feel. I personally prefer the 85's thin profile. I figure if I'm going to carry a double stack, I'll just go with a 9mm something. They're both darn good guns though.

SithL0rd
Nov 6, 2007
Dark Lord of the Sith

Love Berettas! Have a 92FS, 92FS Compact L and a Cougar 8000F otw.

Want one of the new nanos but thats gonna have to wait til some cards are paid off.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Carbohydrates posted:

Well everyone has their own terminology when it comes to things like "creep" and "takeup". If you mean the weight of the trigger pull, swapping the mainspring to one from a Beretta 92D helps lighten that some. If you mean the amount of slack in the trigger before you begin to feel real resistance, I'm not aware of a way to remove that. If you mean actual movement in the trigger after that point before the hammer actually falls, you can smooth out that part of the pull by lightly modifying your hammer. What you're feeling is the sear dragging against the hammer as it attempts to disengage.

I bolded the part I'm thinking of. The slack, take-up, creep, whatever it's called. It bothers me that on my 92, even in SA mode there's a good ~1/2" of slack where the trigger does nothing, finally dropping the hammer when it's almost touching the frame. Not a huge deal, all said and done, but I thought maybe there was a simple-ish tweak to make it break sooner.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

LifeSizePotato posted:

I bolded the part I'm thinking of. The slack, take-up, creep, whatever it's called. It bothers me that on my 92, even in SA mode there's a good ~1/2" of slack where the trigger does nothing, finally dropping the hammer when it's almost touching the frame. Not a huge deal, all said and done, but I thought maybe there was a simple-ish tweak to make it break sooner.

It is a two-stage trigger by design. Pick up something K31 and it will be even more pronounced. They were not designed for one pull the entire length. The shooter is supposed to take up the first stage (slack) while getting ready to shoot. The trigger pull proper when ready is then very crisp.

Granted your spiffy old 92 may have a creepier second stage than new Berettas, I've never shot one. If that is the case, just ignore me.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Butch Cassidy posted:

It is a two-stage trigger by design. Pick up something K31 and it will be even more pronounced. They were not designed for one pull the entire length. The shooter is supposed to take up the first stage (slack) while getting ready to shoot. The trigger pull proper when ready is then very crisp.

In a DA/SA, the first pull is DA anyway, and then riding the reset solves the "problem" from there.

Granted your spiffy old 92 may have a creepier second stage than new Berettas, I've never shot one. If that is the case, just ignore me.

I haven't shot a newer FS in a couple years, so I don't even know how it compares, really. I do just end up riding the reset like you mentioned, like I do with my Walther P99's similarly lonnnnng SA pull. It is fine at the end of the staging, but I thought maybe there was a way to reduce that excessive staging effect. Oh well, though. v :) v

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Yeah, just stick with Mec-Gar or factory Beretta mags and you'll be fine. Beretta factory 15-rounders are usually around $18 to $20 a piece and you can find them everywhere. Beretta also makes 17-rounders, but the cheapest I've been able to find them is $25, and for that money you may as well get a Mec-Gar 18-rounder instead, which has the neat added bonus of witness holes and MG's nice anti-friction coating. Additionally, Beretta has recently put out a 30 round magazine from their factory that actually works, and it's priced at a reasonable $39.99.

Checkmate GI surplus mags also kick rear end.

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

IMO Mec-Gar's 18 round flush and 20 round semi-flush for a 92, or the .40 variants for a 96, are the two best mags for a 9x pistol.

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

thermobollocks posted:

Checkmate GI surplus mags also suck rear end.

Ftfy

Any malfunctions i had with a beretta were with those lovely mags.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Flikken posted:

Ftfy

Any malfunctions i had with a beretta were with those lovely mags.

My anecdote cancels out your anecdote!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

tiebreaker: checkmate surplus mags run fine in my gun and have never malfunctioned in any way!

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

Carbohydrates posted:

tiebreaker: checkmate surplus mags run fine in my gun and have never malfunctioned in any way!

:argh: 2:1 I lose, another internet argument failure.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Flikken posted:

:argh: 2:1 I lose, another internet argument failure.

Realtalk: unless they were new (in which case, :wtc:), you could've gotten some that were beaten out of spec.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Neo Mara posted:

IMO Mec-Gar's 18 round flush and 20 round semi-flush for a 92, or the .40 variants for a 96, are the two best mags for a 9x pistol.

:whatup:

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

IuniusBrutus posted:

Only issue is that the slide doesn't like to lock back - on one mag it does it about 50% of the time, and the other it never does. It's not a huge issue at the moment, but I'd like to get it taken care of.

Going back to the original post to say that I just got my Summit Gun Broker 92G in today and at first was experiencing the same thing you were. Both mags were LEO marked 15 round Beretta factory mags. Something to check out, make sure you are seriously racking the slide when the mag is empty and inserted in the gun. I found that if you baby it one of them doesn't like staying open, but if you rack it like it was actually firing a round it works everytime. Maybe the mag springs are a little weak and replacing them would "fix" this, but I think it's fine.

On a side note, I know a lot of people talk about how their posurp handgun must have never been shot, but I'm the exception here. My Beretta was loving filthy, so much so that the 92G's decocker might as well have been a 92FS's safety because it wouldn't move back up from the safety position without some help. Some elbow grease did the trick for the frame but I had quite the time taking the safety apart so I could clean everything out (1/16" punch my rear end, you liar). Here's a video that shows the differences in taking it apart from the 92FS, but suffice it to say the 92G is a little more annoying. I did take the opportunity to take out the extractor and firing pin block, both of which had lots of grime and carbon buildup hard enough to drop out as little rocks.

Now that everything has been cleaned, lubed, and put back together it runs like it's supposed to and I'm loving it. I think I'll end up throwing a D-spring in there sometime soon, but for now I'm just really digging the honest wear on it and how comfortable the big thing is.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

The only reason I really noticed the problem was because it was happening while shooting it. :sigh: I fooled around with inserting the magazine with the slide off though, and it appears the magazine spring is weaker than the slide stop spring, which is causing the follower to be forced down rather than the slide stop be forced up. I'll get some Wolff +10 springs for it, and I think I'll be ok.

Did Beretta ever make a pistol with a slightly larger mag release on it? I'd like one with a mag release just a wee-bit longer than the stock one, but I need to keep it SSP legal for IDPA, so it has to have come on a stock pistol

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

IuniusBrutus posted:

Did Beretta ever make a pistol with a slightly larger mag release on it? I'd like one with a mag release just a wee-bit longer than the stock one, but I need to keep it SSP legal for IDPA, so it has to have come on a stock pistol

http://www.berettausa.com/products/beretta-steel-oversize-magazine-release-botton-black/

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

thermobollocks posted:

Realtalk: unless they were new (in which case, :wtc:), you could've gotten some that were beaten out of spec.

When I was in the army if i got issued checkmates, the mag's were....unreliable. But if I can get my hands on some of the other brands(looked for the thick mag floorplate) I never had a problem with them.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

summit has 96Gs now http://www.summitgunbroker.com/96G.html

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Basticle posted:

fffff

They also have a ton of used mags for sale, including $15 Glock mags.

Sporto
Oct 16, 2010

The Slayer walks the earth!

Does anyone know how to get their hands on any original pre-ban, all-steel 20 round 93r magazines?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Basticle posted:

:dong: I hope they are still there after I get my Police Positive.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

I just shot my first 92FS today and ohgod :flashfap: It just pointed and shot amazingly well. Very amazingly well.

Aside from a D hammer spring and some grips, there's very little that can be done as far as I know. Any other pertinent upgrades?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

DkHelmet posted:

I just shot my first 92FS today and ohgod :flashfap: It just pointed and shot amazingly well. Very amazingly well.

Aside from a D hammer spring and some grips, there's very little that can be done as far as I know. Any other pertinent upgrades?

Not really. I like the factory grips, so a D spring is pretty much it for me. Just make sure it's got good mags - factory mags or MecGars - and not military contract mags.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

DkHelmet posted:

Hammer mod I posted above, only if the trigger isn't crisp.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

DkHelmet posted:

Any other pertinent upgrades?

The skeletonized hammer, because it looks cool.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

Is the skeleton hammer IDPA legal? That thing looks awesome.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Trying to remove the rear for a target sight and that thing is on there. I know it's removal from right to left and even tried a few doses of Kroil to lubricate things, all to no avail. Is it generally accepted to need a sight pusher for a 92FS?

The Glocks just tapped on and off with relative ease, this thing is seemingly permanent.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

It's a little on the expensive side, but there's a 92D Type M Compact on gunbroker at the moment. :stare:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'm almost tempted to sell a kidney for that. :allears:

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I wonder how many of those things are actually in the U.S. The Type M is rare enough on its own, let alone the D variant.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

crosspostin' from the Secret Santa thread, my new rad metal grips:

Better fitted and more grippy than factory grips, I really like these a lot. Also, since my gun has metal mag followers and floorplates and a metal recoil spring guide, I don't think it has any plastic left on it now.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!

Fun Shoe

It has been a good Christmas. Wife got this 92FS, I got the whiskey.
Merry Christmas TFR goons.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

GEEKABALL posted:

It has been a good Christmas. Wife got this 92FS, I got the whiskey.
Merry Christmas TFR goons.

:aaaaa:

Maybe I am a dumb, but I did not think 92FSs could be cocked and locked.

That looks like a very happy merry indeed :)

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

:aaaaa:

Maybe I am a dumb, but I did not think 92FSs could be cocked and locked.

I didn't think they could either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

They can if they're not in battery.