Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Thanks for the Ash Lake answers, guys!

Are there any other Dragon weapons in the game other than the Drake Sword, because after Ash Lake, I'm swimming in scales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shalinor posted:

I guess the large worm with clacky teeth told me to go to the Tomb of the Giants et al anyways. Bleh, whatever, gently caress it.

That's down in the Catacombs, right? And the light thingy I need, I find down there in the midst of it, no need to go elsewhere first?

Get the light producing spell if you can use it. Alternately, if you've unlocked the shortcut in lost Izalith, you might want to get the sunlight-maggot which is a light producing helm.

If both of those are not an option, after the Pinwheel boss (who is a joooooooke) the whole place goes pitch dark. If you can survive a few slides and giant skeletons you'll find a pit with the a light producing lantern in it. This lantern also makes things glow on the wall to point the way. Just remember its not a good shield and the dog-skeletons hit like trucks.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Does anyone know the specifics of Dark Hand functionality? I've hit people with it in PvP for damage with the strong attack, but it didn't do any grabbing. It just did damage after the full windup.

It is a frontal grab. My experience is that you must hit them in the front, not the side or back. It also seems that if the target has enough poise to ignore a strong attack, it may not grab the person; almost as if the grab is a special 'stun' effect.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Hatter106 posted:

Are there any other Dragon weapons in the game other than the Drake Sword, because after Ash Lake, I'm swimming in scales.

The big guy at the end of Ash Lake drops a greatsword if you cut his tail off. (If you're in his covenant, it doesn't break covenant, either.)

Gaping Dragon's tail gives you a bigass axe.

Priscilla's Dagger might upgrade with scales? IDK, I didn't get it due to shenanigans. I have the others though.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Pickled Kittens posted:

It is a frontal grab. My experience is that you must hit them in the front, not the side or back. It also seems that if the target has enough poise to ignore a strong attack, it may not grab the person; almost as if the grab is a special 'stun' effect.
Seriously? That's awful. How am I supposed to land this in PvP. :qq:

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
:stare:

I just got stomped to death through a loving wall from inside one of those huts.

:unsmigghh: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Tyrannosaur Butts Izalith wgah'nagl fhtagn

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hatter106 posted:

A couple of dragon bosses drop them if you slash their tales, as does the dragon who you can form a covenant with.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Hatter106 posted:

You should probably hold onto those scales if you want to join and level up the Dragon Covenant.
There's the Dragon King Greataxe, the Dragon King Greatsword, the Dragonbone Fist and Priscilla's dagger. I think that's all the other weapons that upgrade with scales.
The first is from cutting Gaping Dragon's Tail. The Second is from cutting the Everlasting Dragon's tail. The 3rd is the Iron Golem's boss weapon (fist weapon), and the last is from cutting Priscilla's tail.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Elysiume posted:

Seriously? That's awful. How am I supposed to land this in PvP. :qq:
Parry.

Has anyone been able to get Pris's dragon weapon in NG+ without one shotting her?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Barudak posted:

Just remember its not a good shield and the dog-skeletons hit like trucks.
Is it not an option to main-hand it, and swap to weapon as necessary?

... and no, no shortcut - that's part of why I'm going down there. To farm for humanity to give to Chaos lady

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

Hatter106 posted:

Yup!

All of these are gotten by chopping the tail off of things:

Dragon Greatsword - Chop off the tail of the stone dragon in Ash Lake. Oddly enough, he won't get pissed at you, and you can still be in the covenant.

Dragon Greataxe - Chop of the tail of the Gaping Dragon in the Depths

Moonlight Greatsword - Chop off Seath's tail in the Crystal Caves. This is a pain in the rear end to get.

Priscilla's Dagger - Chop off Priscilla's tail in the Painted World of Ariamis

Dragonbone... fist? I can't remember the full name of it - Upgrade a +10 Caestus or Claws with the Iron Golem's soul at the giant in Anor Londo

ericthebear
Mar 4, 2011

Elysiume posted:

I'm going to head down into the Tomb of Giants to farm humanity because I'm not getting summoned and my Dark Hand is failing to get me humanity.

Does the grab not fully activate unless they have liquid humanity?

It activates if they have no humanity, you will do the grab/damage just not get anything. Well besides the satisfaction of doing something cool in a video game.

Edit: I would gladly pay 30 humanity to not have to ever go through that bloomshitfest.

ericthebear fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 26, 2011

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

doomfunk posted:

Join the Daughters of Chaos and feed them 30 humanity, then go into the Demon Ruins and make it past the capra demons, and yes, there is a shortcut.

It's not much of a shortcut considering the length of time it takes to donate 30 humanity :v:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
^^: That's honestly one of the worst things. Even donating 10 (Sunlight Medals) was agonizing. Why is there no [Donate] and then you can just donate any amount?

Rascyc posted:

Parry.
To make use of the stagger they get if I parry them? Worth a shot.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

doomfunk posted:

Join the Daughters of Chaos and feed them 30 humanity, then go into the Demon Ruins and make it past the capra demons, and yes, there is a shortcut.

Ah, completely forgot about that. Lost Izalith is the one place I'm incredibly apprehensive about in NG+. Pretty sure the Bounding Demons would one-shot me quite easily.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Shalinor posted:

Is it not an option to main-hand it, and swap to weapon as necessary?

... and no, no shortcut - that's part of why I'm going down there. To farm for humanity to give to Chaos lady
You have to equip it as a shield, otherwise you can't use its illuminating effects. But you can switch out to a shield when you need to. You'll just be temporarily in the dark.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How can you all forget the best dragon weapon, the Dragon's Tooth?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I am not man enough to be Havel :(

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

Roguelike posted:

I didn't realize that one actually upgraded. I always kind of write it off cause the rest of Havel's stuff doesn't.

edit: Though now that I think about it, the shield does, though all it does is increase strike damage.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Welp I just finished the game, Soul Level 93 with 70 hours played. Gosh this is a great game, where you'll run into a wall, then break that wall down after coming back/ thinking about the strategy. So satisfying :black101:

I would definitely play NG+ but right now my gaming backlog is so full, I'll come get my rear end kicked by your later Dark Souls :3:

Gwyn talk: So I can't be the only one who thought the end boss felt rushed? I don't mean it in a 'he doesn't have 2 more forms like all J-rpgs' way, but more like he didn't get an introduction movie like the other bosses, he doesn't say anything, there's no build up. Also his parrying timing is insane, I was basically mashing the parry button whenever he got in my face

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Roguelike posted:

I'm petty sure you pick up this weapon along with Havel's armour set in Anor Londo.

ericthebear
Mar 4, 2011

Nahxela posted:

I am not man enough to be Havel :(

There's a challenge for Waspinator. Be a Havel that backflips. I double dog dare you.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I landed Dark Hand! I guess it does need to be from the front. She had no humanity, though.

We also hit each other for the death blow in the same instant, which was interested. YOU DIED. TARGET DESTROYED.

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Welp I just finished the game, Soul Level 93 with 70 hours played. Gosh this is a great game, where you'll run into a wall, then break that wall down after coming back/ thinking about the strategy. So satisfying :black101:

I would definitely play NG+ but right now my gaming backlog is so full, I'll come get my rear end kicked by your later Dark Souls :3:

Gwyn talk: So I can't be the only one who thought the end boss felt rushed? I don't mean it in a 'he doesn't have 2 more forms like all J-rpgs' way, but more like he didn't get an introduction movie like the other bosses, he doesn't say anything, there's no build up. Also his parrying timing is insane, I was basically mashing the parry button whenever he got in my face

I have mixed thoughts on that fight.

On the one hand, it does feel like maybe it was a bit rushed. On the other, Gwyn is basically a burned out husk, and the end of the game isn't about him so much as about whether you choose to follow in his footsteps or drastically change the world. It might have actually been an aesthetic choice to make the final boss fight much simpler.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Just beat Gaping Dragon! Both sunbro and my phantom buddy were vanquished in the process, but I sent him a message telling him 'hey thanks, couldn't have done it without you'. He seemed understanding. Praise the sun! :sun:

EDIT: Lesson learned -- using your Estus Flask does not heal sunbro.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Elysiume posted:

I landed Dark Hand! I guess it does need to be from the front. She had no humanity, though.

We also hit each other for the death blow in the same instant, which was interested. YOU DIED. TARGET DESTROYED.

If I was on the design team I'd be absolutely sure the message for when that happened was simply MUTUALLY ASSURED DESTRUCTION.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

ericthebear posted:

There's a challenge for Waspinator. Be a Havel that backflips. I double dog dare you.

I'm actually doing this in my current run! Mask of the Father, Ninja Flip Ring, Ring of Favor and Protection, and the rest is Havel's gear. Granted, I also have Endurance 40.

And even with flips and poo poo, the Tyrannosaur Butts are still killing me.

gently caress this place, gently caress whoever thought of this place, I'm using the shortcut t:mad:t

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Elysiume posted:

I'm going to head down into the Tomb of Giants to farm humanity because I'm not getting summoned and my Dark Hand is failing to get me humanity.

Does the grab not fully activate unless they have liquid humanity?

So far as I can tell, yeah. They need liquid humanity for it to give you anything, and you need to get them at just the right distance and angle.

Seriously, it is a complete piece of poo poo and you are better off using other methods if you want to farm humanity. It would be faster just to invade and kill people without bothering with the dark hand. Most people don't run around with a bunch of liquid humanity anyways, and they need to be horrendous at the game to ever get hit by it. I've heard you can line it up after parrying, but online parrying is such a crapshoot. Better to just stab him to death and get your guaranteed +1 humanity.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Vargs posted:

So far as I can tell, yeah. They need liquid humanity for it to work, and you need to get them at just the right distance and angle.

Seriously, it is a complete piece of poo poo and you are better off using other methods if you want to farm humanity. It would be faster just to invade and kill people without bothering with the dark hand. Most people don't run around with a bunch of liquid humanity anyways, and they need to be horrendous at the game to ever get hit by it. I've heard you can line it up after parrying, but online parrying is such a crapshoot. Better to just stab him to death and get your guaranteed +1 humanity.
Well I need to get the 10 humanity to be able to invade first, because gently caress blowing money on cracked reds when I currently have a 0% success rate (statistically irrelevant sample sizes are the best). I'd rather not blow all of my hard humanity for it, though. I can't ever assist because I have massive trouble with getting summoned*, and Forest Hunters doesn't give humanity on kills (it instead gives various mostly useless titanite chunks).

Also, Dark Hand is fun! I've decided I'll balance the horrible poo poo-ness of Fog Ring with only using the Dark Hand.

*: The only time I've been summoned in the last ~40 minutes was by a guy who died to rats. The ones you don't even need to fight to get to Gaping Dragon.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Parry.

Has anyone been able to get Pris's dragon weapon in NG+ without one shotting her?

Yes, and it was a huge pain in the arse. Took three or four suicides and on the time I did it, she was one hit away from death. I ended up whacking her tail with Smough's Hammer as it was the only thing I had on me with a smash attack. I had to use Combustion very sparingly to get her to appear again.

It still wasn't as tedious as Seathe's tail. More difficult but definitely not as tedious.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Daeren posted:

I'm actually doing this in my current run! Mask of the Father, Ninja Flip Ring, Ring of Favor and Protection, and the rest is Havel's gear. Granted, I also have Endurance 40.

And even with flips and poo poo, the Tyrannosaur Butts are still killing me.

gently caress this place, gently caress whoever thought of this place, I'm using the shortcut t:mad:t

You do realize that wearing that mask isn't the full Havel set right?

For this challenge you must have enough strength/stamina to equip all pieces of Havel's set, which includes the mallet and the shield, while still being able to at least medium roll. Or else you ain't the real Havel son, just some buster.

Enjoy!

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Oh, incidentally, the armored tusks at the beginning of Duke's Archives may not be buttstabbable...

But they burn real good. I finally have my boar head. I don't care if it's bad. It's awesome and that's all that counts.

I also, since everyone seems to love it, cranked my Zweihander up to +10 and made it lightning and holy gently caress. I'm loving it, I just flatten everything in the Archives with the R2 and giggle when they hit the ground.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Elysiume posted:

Also, Dark Hand is fun! I've decided I'll balance the horrible poo poo-ness of Fog Ring with only using the Dark Hand.
This doesn't work for two reasons.
1. With a Fog Ring, they are never facing you because they are a coward.
2. Once you take the Fog Ring off, they just back out of the pathetically small range. So dumb.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Starting the poo cannon run. Oh sewer shortcut you can't come quick enough.

https://www.twitch.tv/waspinat0r

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

waspinator posted:

Wait, poo cannon?

EDIT: bwa hahaha, hey, Havel's got a friend :3: EDIT2: Well, had.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Crystal Ring Shield with lightning zweihander +4 into the face of Gaping Dragon: 2035 damage. This is good.

edit: That's it, I give up on using Dark Hand, ever. This thing is beyond worthless. So far all it's gotten me is killed.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 26, 2011

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

waspinator posted:

I saw this and had to make sure I wasn't in the Saints' Row 3 thread. What is this run?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Alright since I see it a lot, I'm going to type up a little guide for Lost Izalith. I did this zone as a melee only guy by myself without any egregious farming, so it's totally doable. Here's the guide:

How to Not Lose Your poo poo in Lost Izalith

Alright, so you've beat up some Demons, punched some other Demons, and then stabbed a giant Centipede Demon in the face. Feeling pretty good right? Think your hot poo poo? Too bad, Lost Izalith time motherfucker. Here's the deal:

-The hardest part of Lost Izalith is the first 15 minutes. After that it's not really hard at all. So hang in there.

-There are two ziggurats to the right of where you enter the zone, the rightmost one is your eventual goal. There is a bonfire in there, and it's actually the best bonfire for running back to Bed of Chaos after you get bullshitted to death.

-DO NOT FORGET to equip the Orange Charred Ring, and if you don't think you have it, as long as you beat the Centipede Demon, yes you do, check your inventory. You automatically get it for killing any of the Centipede Demons limbs or killing the Demon itself.

Let's talk about the Leaping Demons. First, they don't respawn! So that's nice. However, fighting them is unlike fighting anything else in the game. They have three attacks: a triple stomp that hits everything underneath them, a GIANT leaping butt slam that they can launch into from quite far away, and a long range sweeping kick. They are SUPER fire resistant, so Pyromancy isn't going to work well, and their kick out-ranges your fireballs anyways. However, they inflict FRIENDLY FIRE damage on each other with all their attacks, and they kill each other in 4-5 attacks. The best way to fight them is to pull as many as you can with a bow and then dance in and out of their range, triggering their attacks. Once you have one left, the best way to deal with it is to shoot it with Sorcery. If you don't have good Int, get an Oolacile Ivory Catalyst, obtainable from Dusk of Oolacile. I will write a small guide on getting to her at the bottom. If Sorcery is not an option, a Bow/Crossbow works, but takes a lot of ammo. I find that melee works better. The way you kill them in melee is by getting them to do their butt slam attack, which has huge recovery, letting you get a few good whacks in. Retreat and repeat until it's down. Once you get the hang of it, it's really easy, just be patient.

Here's the basic path you want to take: Run from the bonfire up the root until you reach the opening to the area. From here, there should be 6 Leaping Demons in between you and the first Ziggurat. Try to pull all 6 to the door with your bow if you can. Get them to kill each other by dancing in and out of their range along the root. Alternatively, or when only one remains, get them to do their butt slam, and run up and hit them/shoot them with Sorcery. After they are down, make a mad dash to the first ziggurat, which is strait ahead and slightly to your right. There will be a doorway on one of the sides, I believe it is the opposite side from where you are starting. Here there should be two Leaping Demons, one to your left and one to your right. Pull them individually and kill them. Once they are down, look at the second ziggurat, to the right of the first one. You should see a root leading up to the top of it. Run up that root, and then, standing on it and facing the second ziggurat (the one you are running up the root towards), make a note that the entrance to the second ziggurat is on your left. It is actually a fake wall, so you will want to run up the root to the top of the ziggurat, drop down, hit the wall, and dive inside, since you will almost definitely have aggroed a Leaping Demon. Inside is the bonfire! Now it is easy mode, just kill the 4-5 demons standing between the doorway of the ziggurat and the root across the way that leads up into the ruins of Lost Izalith. Once you get those last Demons down, the rest of the zone is nothing but super easy fire statues and those adorable tentacle demons that are really weak. Good luck!

Dusk of Oolacile Guide: Go to Darkroot Basin and kill the Hydra there. It's pretty easy, just get in close, don't fall in the pit, and chop his heads. Once you kill the Hydra, reload the zone somehow, either by dying or quitting your game and logging back in. Now run to the back of the lake the Hydra was in, there should be a fairly large cave with an Amber Golem inside. Kill him and Dusk will come out. Say yes to her question, and then run back to the shore of the lake, where you will find her summon symbol (don't need to be human). Summon her and she sells the Oolacile Ivory Catalyst, a Catalyst with a flat Magic Adjust (the stat on catalysts that affects your magic damage) that doesn't scale with Int. It's equivalent to having about 28 or so Int with a normal catalyst, so it's pretty dang good. Also if you return to the cave where the Amber Golem was, there will be the set of armor Dusk is wearing, the headgear of which improves your magic damage by quite a bit. So wear that, the Bellowing Dragoncrest ring you can buy from the basic Sorcery trainer rescued from Lower Undead Burg, and as many Soul Arrows/Heavy Soul Arrows as your weak Attunement and Int will allow.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 26, 2011

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

You do realize that wearing that mask isn't the full Havel set right?

For this challenge you must have enough strength/stamina to equip all pieces of Havel's set, which includes the mallet and the shield, while still being able to at least medium roll. Or else you ain't the real Havel son, just some buster.

Enjoy!

You have to have nearly maxed endurance for this to work. The full Havel's set, including the Dragon Tooth, weighs 94, so you need 188 max load for a medium roll. I'm assuming the game doesn't dick you in weird ways with rounding, so with Havel's Ring equipped you need to have a raw 125 max load to get to the 188 mark.

So I guess it's Havel's Ring and Dark Wood Grain Ring and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Yup that's exactly right. The Real Havel Starts at a high Soul Level

• Locked thread