Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Just finished Kristin Hoganson's The Heartland: An American History, and I think I was wanting something different out of the book than what it was. I was hoping for a book that tackled the why of the "Midwest as REAL America" trope. What I got was a book about the displacement of the Kickapoo nation from central Illinois, and how the white population that took their land was neither static nor globally isolated. While she makes frequent references to the heartland myth, she never actually gives it any context. Very frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

That’s a very hosed up reading of the Vietnam war. There wouldn’t have been a civil war hadn’t the colonial powers created an opposition to the liberation movement. Even most American historians agree on that. Seems like a big attempt to justify atrocities committed by the colonial powers (US and France).

he doesnt though. he talks about how france and america and the ARVN do tons of horrible poo poo but also how the NVA pissed away alot of the moral high ground they had. he doesnt justify poo poo, surprisingly.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 27, 2019

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I can also recommend his Vietnam book, it seemed to be objective and cover many viewpoints, at least from European readers perspective.

I just finished his "Nemesis", which is about Pacific theater 1944-1945. It really enforced how screwed Japan was during the last 12 months of the war.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

rantAK posted:

I can also recommend his Vietnam book, it seemed to be objective and cover many viewpoints, at least from European readers perspective.

I just finished his "Nemesis", which is about Pacific theater 1944-1945. It really enforced how screwed Japan was during the last 12 months of the war.

It's called "Retribution" in American print from what I can tell. That's the version I have.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Can anyone recommend a good history of the Spanish Inquisition?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Can anyone recommend a good history of the Spanish Inquisition?

Probably the current definitive book on the Spanish Inquisition is Henry Kamen's "The Spanish Inquisition:A Historical Revision". Kamen is a pretty serious historian, and his book is sort of the modern standard book on the topic.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Is there a good biography that focuses on Chiang Kai-Shek's time in Taiwan? All the ones I've looked at treat those 25 years as barely worth an epilogue.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Epicurius posted:

Probably the current definitive book on the Spanish Inquisition is Henry Kamen's "The Spanish Inquisition:A Historical Revision". Kamen is a pretty serious historian, and his book is sort of the modern standard book on the topic.

Thanks!

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Can anyone recommend me a book on the history of Suicide or other mental health/behavioral history? I am currently reading History of Suicide by Minois, and it's fascinating. I have also come to adore Madness and Civilization by Foucault (though, less historical)

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

clam the gently caress down posted:

Can anyone recommend me a book on the history of Suicide or other mental health/behavioral history? I am currently reading History of Suicide by Minois, and it's fascinating. I have also come to adore Madness and Civilization by Foucault (though, less historical)

I can't remember how historical it is but I really enjoyed The Heartland: Finding and Losing Schizophrenia by Nathan Filer.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

clam the gently caress down posted:

Suicidal: Why We Kill Ourselves by Jesse Bering is a fairly recent (2018) work on the subject. It's been about a year since I read it however so I'm a little hazy on the details, I think it is a more psychological look at the subject than historical.

There is also Geo Stone's book Suicide and Attempted Suicide: Methods and Consequences, but that book is a) out of print so you might have trouble finding a copy, and b) more of a how-to book, although he does spend some time on the history / philosophy of suicide through the ages.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Is The Anarchy: The Relentless Rise of the East India Company by William Dalrymple any good?

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

I'm reading about the Taiping Rebellion and its crazy how violent it was and the confluence of events that guided the war's outcome. I had never even heard of the war before reading this book.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

HamsterPolice posted:

I'm reading about the Taiping Rebellion and its crazy how violent it was and the confluence of events that guided the war's outcome. I had never even heard of the war before reading this book.

It was one of the deadliest wars in human history, in fact.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

HamsterPolice posted:

whats some good books on it? i have the johnathan spence one on it and thats it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom by Stephen Platt is the other good one.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

i have heard that. its pretty cheap on amazon and i may pick it up on audible at some point.

i got some good books for christmas.

one was about the shinning path of peru which is interesting so far. https://www.amazon.com/Shining-Path-Madness-Revolution-Andes/dp/0393292800/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=shining+path&qid=1577737947&sr=8-1

another was a book on the 1948 election. https://www.amazon.com/1948-Trumans-Improbable-Victory-Transformed/dp/1635764483/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=1948&qid=1577737980&sr=8-8

than i bought the new SC gwynn book about the last year of the civil war and some weird book about Frank Lloyd Wright which is interesting but alittle to prosy at times.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 30, 2019

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats some good books on it? i have the johnathan spence one on it and thats it.

Also God's Chinese Son: The Taiping Heavenly Kingdom of Hong Xiuquan.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

Mantis42 posted:

Yeah that's the one I'm reading now. Highly recommended.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
God's Chinese Son and Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom are both really good, and they cover pretty different topics overall, so they make a nice complement to one another. I read both of them (along with a few other books I found in a dusty corner of the University library, the names of which I've since forgotten) for a paper I wrote about the Taiping in my last year of undergrad. Really fascinating and sadly under-explored (outside of China) period of history.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yep read both of those if you want a complete picture of things.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

team overhead smash posted:

Is The Anarchy: The Relentless Rise of the East India Company by William Dalrymple any good?

I read it after reading Return of a King. He can craft a great narrative, and The Anarchy is no exception. He details the decline of the Mughal empire and the shift in focus and rise of the EIC through the life of Shah Alam, one of the last Mughal emperors who spent time allied with most of the factions during the period.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Does anyone have a recommendation for a book on the Iroquois confederation's history, especially its interactions with colonists and later the American government? I grew up not far from one of the several reservations in NY, and while I figured I was being lied to in school, I never really followed up on it. I know more about the plains tribes than the people whose land I grew up on.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'll recommend Facing East From Indian Country , with the caveat that it is about European-Indigenous interactions across Eastern North America including the Iroquois, but it does not have a particular focus on the Iroquois.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

PittTheElder posted:

I'll recommend Facing East From Indian Country , with the caveat that it is about European-Indigenous interactions across Eastern North America including the Iroquois, but it does not have a particular focus on the Iroquois.

This is a really good book in general even if it doesn’t meet the exact criteria. Hearty recommend.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Thank you! Purchased.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

whats a good book on vikings, like a history and such. the new assassins creed is gonna get announced soon and i always love reading about the time periods.

i know The Vikings: A History is pretty good but anything else. especially on audible.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i really like ferguson's book but have heard it described as dry. lars brownworth's the sea wolves is written to be as action-packed and accessible as possible and is a very fun quick read. the focus is very much on the battle and adventure side of things, though, so you wont get much about daily life. i havent read winroth's the age of the vikings but have heard good things

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Hyrax Attack! posted:

To double check, is Hastings on the level? Wanted to double check he hasn’t been busted for plagiarism or any terrible opinions before I pick up more of his works.

I really like most of the guy's writing on WWII overall. I remember though when Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk movie came out he wrote articles about the film for the Daily Mail and the NYRB which have a painfully different tone to one another:

https://www.maxhastings.com/2018/splendid-isolation-max-reviews-dunkirk-and-alone/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4719902/A-war-film-dares-celebrate-British-triumph.html

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Was it this thread that recommended Snow & Steel for a good book on the Battle of the Bulge?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats a good book on vikings, like a history and such. the new assassins creed is gonna get announced soon and i always love reading about the time periods.

i know The Vikings: A History is pretty good but anything else. especially on audible.

I liked The Vikings by Else Roesdahl.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 5, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Vikings at War which goes into the military strategies of the vikings.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i really like ferguson's book but have heard it described as dry. lars brownworth's the sea wolves is written to be as action-packed and accessible as possible and is a very fun quick read. the focus is very much on the battle and adventure side of things, though, so you wont get much about daily life. i havent read winroth's the age of the vikings but have heard good things

Alhazred posted:

Vikings at War which goes into the military strategies of the vikings.

Action Jacktion posted:

I liked The Vikings by Else Roesdahl.

thanks. i'll look into them.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

Any good books on the Seven year war?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Any good books on Iberia prior to 1492? The broader the better.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I have a shitton of books already laying around to read, but I was curious if anyone knew of anything good about Oneida and the other "free love" communes in the US in the 19th century.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Known Lecher posted:

I was curious if anyone knew of anything good about Oneida and the other "free love" communes in the US in the 19th century.

I would definitely recommend Paradise Now: The Story of American Utopianism by Chris Jennings. Oneida is only one of several movements covered in the book, but I still found its individual section to be really informative.

And although I haven't read it, you could also look into Oneida: From Free Love Utopia to Well-Set Table by Ellen Wayland-Smith.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 12, 2020

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Known Lecher posted:

I have a shitton of books already laying around to read, but I was curious if anyone knew of anything good about Oneida and the other "free love" communes in the US in the 19th century.

Not a book, but Nice Try did a good podcast on Oneida specifically.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Any good books on the strike of 1877? Or gilded age labor struggles in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

team overhead smash posted:

No, it's so bad it caused me to create a new personal idea of pre-colonial nostalgia. Which is basically the idea that pre colonial societies weren't brutal Empires or states in their own right.