Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why bother with hard modes then?

I think it's fine for people to play single player games however they want, but I don't get why people want to play the hardest mode of games and then use unlockables or cheats to make it easy. Isn't the point of a hard mode the challenge?

It's not a hill I'm willing to die on cause it doesn't even matter and I might even use that buzzsaw if madhouse pisses me off, but the logic doesn't really make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It can still be more challenging than the normal difficulty even with unlockables, especially in RE7 where that is definitely the case.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Why bother with hard modes then?

I think it's fine for people to play single player games however they want, but I don't get why people want to play the hardest mode of games and then use unlockables or cheats to make it easy. Isn't the point of a hard mode the challenge?

It's not a hill I'm willing to die on cause it doesn't even matter and I might even use that buzzsaw if madhouse pisses me off, but the logic doesn't really make any sense.

because that is how they have fun. different people enjoy different things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Its almost as if the people playing the game are busy adults who don't wanna spend god knows how long a single section.

If you're a busy adult who doesn't want to spend time on a single section why are you replaying (since you have to have finished the game at least once, probably at least twice if you're using the bonus weapon) a game on hard mode then?

I mean if it's fun for you to play hard mode with an OP weapon then all power to you, just feels like a weird combo to me.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

People like being able to use the fruits of their previous labours as they go up against new and tougher challenges, in a mental process that is distinct from the desire to just cheat. It's the reason Souls-style NG+ modes exist. I don't know what else to tell you

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's not like it's even the first time Resident Evil's done that. RE5 Professional is effectively balanced around the idea that you will be using these over-powered weapons.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Has the thought ever occurred that people may be doing it to unlock infinite ammo or get an achievement?

Plenty of reasons as to why someone may want to try madhouse especially considering that item locations are mixed around.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If it's just for unlocks and a trophy or whatever that's one thing. And in RE it makes more sense with the way the unlocks are done than some games.

I was thinking in a broader sense it's just funny to me how many people (in many games )go "allright I unlocked infinite health and ammo and turned off fail states, time to do the hardest mode" and I can't help but think, why? I'm surprised how many PC players do this and use mods to cheat hard modes or whatever.

Like I said it doesn't matter at all it's just kind of funny.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly I kinda felt like RE4 got setpiecey and linear toward the end just like 5, but I might be in the minority in enjoying 5 more than 4 for the most part. I think 6 plays better than either, but most people end up starting with Leon's campaign, which is the worst to play by a significant amount.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Panzeh posted:

Honestly I kinda felt like RE4 got setpiecey and linear toward the end just like 5, but I might be in the minority in enjoying 5 more than 4 for the most part. I think 6 plays better than either, but most people end up starting with Leon's campaign, which is the worst to play by a significant amount.

Honestly, I think Leon's has the best start. Chris's and Jake's both have awful poo poo in them when you start out, whether it's a ton of dudes with guns or a snowmobile and stealth section.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just beat RE5 with my friend and yeah lmao that sure was an ending sequence. The ending kinda just ends with them riding off in the chopper though? Kind of a weird ending, but I remember RE4 being sorta similar when you rode out in the jetski.

Time for RE6. I'm playing on PC and the aiming I think is going to be better from the 30 minutes I've played so far. But the keybindings seem a bit strange. What is everyone's favorite style to play this game? Or whats the best way/best key bindings?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The best way to play RE6 is to just run up to zombies and punch them because the camera shake when you shoot is nauseating.

edit:

In case you think I'm joking:

http://i.imgur.com/OD1Il6m.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/TYp3f3N.mp4

RE6 is only good as a zombie wrasslin simulator. It has the best mercs mode of any game in the series and the worst everything else. Let an enemy grab you and then hit the QTE properly to do one of a fuckbillion different animations (it is truly nuts how many melee animations there are) and you will take no damage.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 2, 2017

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Just beat RE5 with my friend and yeah lmao that sure was an ending sequence. The ending kinda just ends with them riding off in the chopper though? Kind of a weird ending, but I remember RE4 being sorta similar when you rode out in the jetski.

Time for RE6. I'm playing on PC and the aiming I think is going to be better from the 30 minutes I've played so far. But the keybindings seem a bit strange. What is everyone's favorite style to play this game? Or whats the best way/best key bindings?

shift on sprint/action

ctrl on walk

q for item slot

e for reload/pickup

h for mixing herbs, 1 for healing with herbs

g for guns, f for items

v for partner action

i dont remember whats default so yeah

anyways the biggest tip is that the stun areas to shoot humanoid enemies are in the head and shoulder/arms. look for a stun reaction when you do so- it's pretty small but it's there. one of the big shortcomings of the actual combat system is those stun reactions being so weak rather than really pronounced. besides that, just experiment going ham with slides and dodges and rollin' around on the ground to dodge enemies

edit:
second tip is that otg melee/stomping enemies is kind of as a resource-efficient thing rather than something that's always the best option, like in re5. unless you're jake, i guess. you can instakill enemies by stomping them in the head but otherwise it's just a giant risk as you have no invulnerability when doing that attack. so do it on singled out enemies, not in crowds lik in RE5 otherwise you're asking for a lot of trouble.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 2, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

The best way to play RE6 is to just run up to zombies and punch them because the camera shake when you shoot is nauseating.

edit:

In case you think I'm joking:

http://i.imgur.com/OD1Il6m.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/TYp3f3N.mp4

RE6 is only good as a zombie wrasslin simulator. It has the best mercs mode of any game in the series and the worst everything else. Let an enemy grab you and then hit the QTE properly to do one of a fuckbillion different animations (it is truly nuts how many melee animations there are) and you will take no damage.

That was why I didn't like RE6 mercs though. There was literally no point in doing anything but endless melee attacks because it was the only way to rack your score though the roof. That and I thought the enemy spawns felt super random and uninspired compared to pervious mercs entries.I'd do RE4 or 5 mercs over 6 any day.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

That was why I didn't like RE6 mercs though. There was literally no point in doing anything but endless melee attacks because it was the only way to rack your score though the roof. That and I thought the enemy spawns felt super random and uninspired compared to pervious mercs entries.I'd do RE4 or 5 mercs over 6 any day.

enemy spawns are actually less random than 5, but that has to do with 5's bizarre spawning system vs 6's fixed spawning order+areas.
don't know about 4, wouldn't be surprised if it was also fixed spawning order+areas as well.

anyways regular mercs is trash garbage and is just 'wait around to counter enemies'
no mercy is where it's at since you have way more incentive to just unload in order to survive the sheer enemy density
https://a.pomf.cat/ygjsvn.webm

plus you get to use the super fun l4d char loadouts. nick's loadout of the AK and grenade launcher (starting w 12 freeze nades) is just way too fun to use- only chris's default and sherry's alt come close in terms of loadout + melee funtimes

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 2, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I actually never tried no mercy. Played probably 4 hours of regular mercs and was put off of it. I may have jumped the gun because that does sound better.

The thing I liked about RE4-5 Mercs was how frantic and brutal it felt while 6 felt like I was just trying to grind a good score by chaining melee attacks/being frustrated I couldn't find anything to kill.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

veni veni veni posted:

I actually never tried no mercy. Played probably 4 hours of regular mercs and was put off of it. I may have jumped the gun because that does sound better.

The thing I liked about RE4-5 Mercs was how frantic and brutal it felt while 6 felt like I was just trying to grind a good score by chaining melee attacks/being frustrated I couldn't find anything to kill.

No Mercy makes it hilariously easy to get an S rank if you can survive with any kind of combo because the score requirements were not scaled up to compensate for double the amount of enemies.

Which is fine, i don't mind the more counter heavy aspects of RE6's mercs but i don't like how if you do it to well/to fast then you're gonna screw yourself because you eventually just run out of enemy spawns early on and then it's just a never ending wave from the midway point till the end.

Not to mention the "secret" enemy that shows up which is usually more of the assholish variety that you're encouraged to kill last because they give more points depending on when in the combo you kill them.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

CJacobs posted:

I quit playing four hours or something into the game just after the boobs cutscene because unlimited zombies drained all my ammo. It's been a while but I don't remember even knowing you could counter. Started watching Lunethex's LP recently and thought "hey this actually isn't that bad once you know it's a melee-only game" but then realized it only seemed playable because the person playing it made every counter and knew the game to an insane degree.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You guys keep saying RE6 was melee only but I got through just fine shooting man's. And had fun with it. And played it solo. Sooooo :iiam:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

is the Requiem for War mercs map in RE6 supposed to be loving impossible? Keep trying it with Chris and dying horribly. Closest I came to success, a giant walked up behind me and stomped me for an instant kill while I was locked in an animation lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Len posted:

You guys keep saying RE6 was melee only but I got through just fine shooting man's. And had fun with it. And played it solo. Sooooo :iiam:

They were saying it's only fun as melee, not that you can't shoot through it. I don't agree with that, but some people enjoyed it. The melee attacks feel way too canned in RE6 to feel fun to me. Personally I shot my way through most of the time too except in mercs where only melee is viable for a good score.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Awesome RE6 gifs.

You forgot the best one:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Len posted:

The game being melee only is an exaggeration. But if you try to play it like a normal 3rd person shooter and shoot everything to death you're gonna have a bit of a hard time since most of the enemies are bullet sponges.

Which is why Chris's campaign kinda bothers me, it's suppose to appeal to people that normally only play like Call of Duty or Gears of War type games but trying to play it like that is a massive headache. Especially with the amount of enemies with guns in his levels.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I played all of the campaigns like a shooter with a friend (who also played it like a shooter) and we didn't have a hard time at all. We never played on No Hope difficulty but we did play on Professional. We certainly made use of melee, quickshots, and all those things but we really just shot a whole bunch of zombies. Never really played Mercs.

I didn't even know about all the counter-attacks the player could do until much later because I was usually aiming my gun and you can't counter when aiming.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 2, 2017

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The part that specifically killed it was the unlimited spawns. I don't know how many areas in the game are like that but we just kept shooting and then figured that we missed looting or whatever and would have to start over and that killed it. Also not having a defensible position because enemies get teleported in is supremely annoying to me for some reason, but that's just a personal quirk. Knowing about all the counters and quickshots and sliding and wacky melee would have probably made it something we stuck with after a quick trip to gamefaqs.

RE7 is thankfully pretty awesome and way less frustrating than any videos/impressions would have led me to believe.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

SettingSun posted:

You forgot the best one:

gently caress, i did that level last night and i had no idea you could counter that run like that! holy poo poo. fucker never ran at me, so all i ended up doing was uppercutting him all the time.

hope rev3 is all jake wrestling federation.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

That really should've been Leon, to show how far his suplexing has come

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Rev3 will simply be a mode tacked on to the next WWE game where you fight off 49 zombies in a Royal Rumble match

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The start of DR2: Off the Record already did that.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Help Im Alive posted:

That really should've been Leon, to show how far his suplexing has come

No way, the best thing about that fight is that it ends jake's character arc by placing him in an inverted RE5 final fight with the Ustanak filling in for muscle monster Chris.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

So I bit and decided to buy RE7, and overall I'm quite enjoying it despite being so goddamn skeptical. A lot of it is very much like classic RE with shuffling items around and staring at item boxes, but then there's a few things which I'm a bit less fond of, namely Ethan controlling like some sort of leadfooted braindamaged idiot at the worst possible moments.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The speed at which Ethan backs up is truly crazy. It's gotta be like a quarter of his forward movement speed, which is already slow as molasses. It seems like they realized this at some point, because once you enter your first area that's actually open he starts moving at normal video game protagonist pace... and then slows back down once you enter the next area.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd usually just do a double quick turn if I needed to back up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean, that does gel with the Resident Evil control scheme, backing up in these games has always been real slow. But man, it sucks when you can't get out of the way of an enemy swing because Ethan can't back up fast enough and a quick-turn stops you in your tracks for a second. I have a feeling that's the whole reason the silly wimpy hand-block thing is there, because there are some hits you straight-up just cannot avoid.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That hand block is a lot more effective than you'd expect.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I know, it's really annoying! It's so dumb looking!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think they expect you to crouch out of attacks (Alongside the blocking) more than the traditional tactic of baiting attacks to run around guys in classic RE games.

But yeah the blocking looks silly, and only marginally less so when you're holding a weapon that might work decently as some kind of a shield.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 4, 2017

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
I apparently suck at Mercenaries in RE4. Trying to unlock the hand cannon and I can only get 4 stars consistently especially with Leon he is my roughest to play with... I think the TMP spoiled me and I miss being able to use it with other characters (obviously doing fine with Hunk and Ada)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiffster posted:

I apparently suck at Mercenaries in RE4. Trying to unlock the hand cannon and I can only get 4 stars consistently especially with Leon he is my roughest to play with... I think the TMP spoiled me and I miss being able to use it with other characters (obviously doing fine with Hunk and Ada)

Wesker and Krauser shouldn't be giving you too much trouble. Wesker just has absurdly powerful everything and with Krauser just make sure to save his arm transformation for big situations.

Unfortunately Leon is probably the roughest of the lot as he has no real significant advantages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Generally you want to wait until a billion enemies have filed in and are chasing you in a conga line before you do anything to earn points. That way chaining a combo is easy and fast. When the map opens, just run around nabbing the timers while the enemies stream in, then start going to town once you've got them all.

edit: Also, it helps to bunch them up into a group and then stagger one, run directly into the middle of the gaggle of angry zombiemen, and knock them all down with one melee. It's especially easy to do with Leon.