Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
First person re2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

That custom-made version of REmake in first person looked awesome.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

First person re2

Really would not mind that.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

But then you don't get to look at leon

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

But then you don't get to look at leon

But you could really see the sweat on Chief Irons face.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

CJacobs posted:

Helicopter pilots also.

At least Brad made it to the sequel!

ShineDog posted:

Do we think code Veronica style 3d for re2make?

Yes because unfortunately prerendered backgrounds in HD are too expensive for companies (espesically Capcom). At the very least I hope the environments look as good as they do in RE 7 (Ideally better though)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Vakal posted:

But you could really see the sweat on Chief Irons face.

i only want to see the sweat on chris

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Also I hope to God they use at least some of the soundtrack of RE 2. Especially the RCPD and save room themes. That whole soundtrack is iconic to me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mr President posted:

Yes because unfortunately prerendered backgrounds in HD are too expensive for companies (espesically Capcom). At the very least I hope the environments look as good as they do in RE 7 (Ideally better though)

Brad's mistake was leaving his helicopter

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Mr President posted:

That made me try and think of which area in a RE game has the most amount of detail put into it.

The one that stands out to me is the abandoned banquet hall at the start of Leon's section in RE 6.

The amount of unique assets and effort that went into an area that has barely any gameplay or impact on the storyline is pretty impressive.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

First person re2

first person remakes of the first 3 RE's would actually be super rad.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Woo, 100%'ed re7. All achievements and unlocks. Last time i did that for a game so close after release was the pc version of re2. Hmm, suppose i better get back to this life thing until the dlcs come out.

Also remake2 is totally having a vr mode, i think alot of that early photogeomtry stuff had things for remake2 so its on the REngine at least. Reminds me there was a blonde character in that stuff i originally thought was mia...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Vikar Jerome posted:

Woo, 100%'ed re7. All achievements and unlocks. Last time i did that for a game so close after release was the pc version of re2. Hmm, suppose i better get back to this life thing until the dlcs come out.

Also remake2 is totally having a vr mode, i think alot of that early photogeomtry stuff had things for remake2 so its on the REngine at least. Reminds me there was a blonde character in that stuff i originally thought was mia...

I can't for the life of me get the Spicy Meat-a-Ball. I've let Molded beat the poo poo out of me like 15 times and I just got sick of the loading screen and gave up.

The other achievement I'm missing is fly swatter. I don't have any pre-Marguerite saves and I don't wanna burn 90 minutes getting to her again. Arg.

Did you unlock anything cool for 100%-ing it? They datamined that you can get the chainsaw but haven't been able to figure out how to get it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I can't for the life of me get the Spicy Meat-a-Ball. I've let Molded beat the poo poo out of me like 15 times and I just got sick of the loading screen and gave up.

The other achievement I'm missing is fly swatter. I don't have any pre-Marguerite saves and I don't wanna burn 90 minutes getting to her again. Arg.

Did you unlock anything cool for 100%-ing it? They datamined that you can get the chainsaw but haven't been able to figure out how to get it.

The meatball one you have let them hit you while they do a grab/knock down attack while you have the remote bomb equiped, then it will you plant it. I think i did it on normal. Fly swatter is annoying, you have to time it right, she sorta looks at you before a jump and i only got it work when i shot a nanosecond before the jump.

You dont get the chainsaw but you do get a circle saw for beating it under 4 hours, which isnt as cool as the chainsaw in the main game but does wreck poo poo. I only got infinite ammo item for beating madhouse, acts like one of the coins so it takes an inventory space.

Speaking of coins, even with the dirty coin from the demo you are still one short of unlocking all the cages on madhouse, which is some grade A bullshit.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
I somehow got the walking shoes and xray glasses with a really long completion time on normal (like 10 hours). Still no circular saw until I beat it in 4. The saw made madhouse a lot more bearable and fun.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
There are multiple ways of unlocking things. It's either the Walking shoes or the Xray that can come from either 4 hours or from getting all Mr Everywheres, I think.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
So I beat Resi 1 remastered, since I kind of came to the series with Resi 2.

The back half once you're largely done with the mansion kind of... sucks? There isn't any real escalation. Just bumble around as per usual and oh hey wesker is here and heres Tyrant now. Resi 2, from memory, is much better paced.

I genuinely love how no one bothers to explain gently caress all to anyone else. Tell Barry about the bodies of your friends? pfff. Question Barry about what is going on after he pulled a gun on you after you return it to fight Lisa? gently caress it who cares!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They can kinda be dicks when they know you're wanting that cheevo. All you can really do is block the normals and wait for the big hug. It took me three reloads to eventually get it. One time I placed the bomb but it refused to detonate so he just lumbered around with a bomb on his head until I hit retry.

quote:

There are unlocks for getting all the statues, easy/normal/madhouse clears and the under-4-hour speedrun. The other achievements are just achievements.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is the RE1 remake on PC worth it if I already have the original GameCube version still?

I've had it since release but was always a big baby and gave up once crimson heads are introduced.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's mostly the same but the camera relative control option makes dodging 100x easier.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is the RE1 remake on PC worth it if I already have the original GameCube version still?

I've had it since release but was always a big baby and gave up once crimson heads are introduced.

I think it's worth it for the increased framerate, resolution, and new controls. It's a top quality remaster and would beat playing it on Gamecube any day.

Plus you can do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdp28ve-6Aw

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

man nurse posted:

I think it's worth it for the increased framerate, resolution, and new controls. It's a top quality remaster and would beat playing it on Gamecube any day.

Plus you can do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdp28ve-6Aw

I'll never understand what exactly is so bad about the voice acting in RE 1? It was one of the first video games to have full voice dialogue and a real story and did a very good job of it. People just look for things to nitpick I guess and then it became an internet meme for people that never even played the game in the first place to latch on to.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I never thought about it but RE1 is almost old enough to legally drink in the US.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mr President posted:

I'll never understand what exactly is so bad about the voice acting in RE 1? It was one of the first video games to have full voice dialogue and a real story and did a very good job of it. People just look for things to nitpick I guess and then it became an internet meme for people that never even played the game in the first place to latch on to.

It's bad because the voice actors had little experience doing voice acting- which is not surprising considering how new of a concept it still was -and none of the characters sound like real people. They sound like actors delivering lines. Which is not entirely their fault for the following two reasons:

Well, for one, the translation is pretty stilted, which can cause problems with the acting. If you were a voice actor, or rather, some joe hired to do voice acting for a game, how the would you VA the line: "Now it's Wesker's time to disappear!" exclaimed randomly in the middle of a conversation? That's not a thing a person would say.

The second issue, one that the VAs themselves have touched on in interviews, is that the directors for the voice acting were all Japanese. Therefore, with no context as to where the lines would be used in the game, the actors would basically have to guess. But since the directors were Japanese, they would have very little knowldege of what the lines would sound like in a normal speaking tone. DC Douglas, the guy who does Wesker now of course, speculates that the problem is they just picked what sounded best out of the takes they had, resulting in the weird-rear end pronunciation we have come to love.

This was also an issue with Silent Hill, specifically 2 according to the voice actor for James. The language barrier is huge because it means you're going in with basically no direction whatsoever which can be torture if you're an actor. Even if you're a good actor, not being told crucial stuff like "this is where this line will likely be used" will probably result in a bad delivery no matter what.

edit: For comparison's sake from another Japanese company, see the voice acting for the Dark Souls series. Those games don't have any Japanese VA, so they have an English VA director. And because of that it's been pretty good throughout.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 11, 2017

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
The one achievement I could never get to unlock was the Slash Slash one. I have knifed spiders off of 5 different doors and it never popped.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mr President posted:

CJacobs posted:

It's bad because the voice actors had little experience doing voice acting- which is not surprising considering how new of a concept it still was -and none of the characters sound like real people. They sound like actors delivering lines. Which is not entirely their fault for the following two reasons:

Well, for one, the translation is pretty stilted, which can cause problems with the acting. If you were a voice actor, or rather, some joe hired to do voice acting for a game, how the would you VA the line: "Now it's Wesker's time to disappear!" exclaimed randomly in the middle of a conversation? That's not a thing a person would say.

The second issue, one that the VAs themselves have touched on in interviews, is that the directors for the voice acting were all Japanese. Therefore, with no context as to where the lines would be used in the game, the actors would basically have to guess. But since the directors were Japanese, they would have very little knowldege of what the lines would sound like in a normal speaking tone. DC Douglas, the guy who does Wesker now of course, speculates that the problem is they just picked what sounded best out of the takes they had, resulting in the weird-rear end pronunciation we have come to love.

This was also an issue with Silent Hill, specifically 2 according to the voice actor for James. The language barrier is huge because it means you're going in with basically no direction whatsoever which can be torture if you're an actor. Even if you're a good actor, not being told crucial stuff like "this is where this line will likely be used" will probably result in a bad delivery no matter what.

edit: For comparison's sake from another Japanese company, see the voice acting for the Dark Souls series. Those games don't have any Japanese VA, so they have an English VA director. And because of that it's been pretty good throughout.

Valid points but I submit this as evidence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9MK-Xi1EiM

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've always wanted to know the story behind this VA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmMispgpUs0

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The biggest shame about things like that is these days you can assume terrible voice acting in an otherwise good game is entirely on purpose and we'll never have these wonderful performances again.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
We're the voice directors still Japanese in the remake? It's still incoherent chuff.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oh dammit, I thought Hunters could only do their one hit kill move if you were on caution status? I just lost my playthrough of REmake as Jill on Hard mode at full health because a Hunter did that move on a camera angle I couldn't see from. Unless the higher damage of Hard mode plus Jill's lower health pool than Chris is enough to trigger that move even at full health.

I've been playing the RE games in order of game release again, even the lovely ones like Survivor and Gaiden. Gaiden honestly isn't as bad as everyone says and it's kinda novel, but it wears out pretty fast. I'd say it's better than Survivor 1 and 2 though, Survivor 1 was just miserable to play and Survivor 2 would be more fun if Capcom figured out how to implement a FPS onto a controller because the closest you can get to modern FPS controls still has you use the D-Pad to move and the left stick to strafe for some reason.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Survivor 2 was supposed to be played with a controller in one hand and a lightgun in the other, hence the weird rear end control schemes.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

veni veni veni posted:

I've always wanted to know the story behind this VA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmMispgpUs0

The doctor's voice actor sounds like the guy who did the tutorial VO in Myth I and II.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Survivor 2 was supposed to be played with a controller in one hand and a lightgun in the other, hence the weird rear end control schemes.

That still sounds like a clusterfuck, if not worse than just using a controller.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Survivor 2 must be purged from this world using some kind of ceremonial ritual.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Oh dammit, I thought Hunters could only do their one hit kill move if you were on caution status? I just lost my playthrough of REmake as Jill on Hard mode at full health because a Hunter did that move on a camera angle I couldn't see from. Unless the higher damage of Hard mode plus Jill's lower health pool than Chris is enough to trigger that move even at full health.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I'm trying to play through all of the Resident Evils available on PS4. I finished RE 4 and I'm playing through five. Which should I play next, 0/1/6 or revelations two?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

REmake easily. 0/6 are love/hate games with no in-between, especially the latter. Revelations 2 is pretty decent but make sure you look up how to get the good ending since it's bullshit.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
0 is a big pile of poo poo, feel free to skip, REmake is the best.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Skip zero and then play 4. If you love co op play 5. If you want some more action re I would play re6 if you're up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Also play Darkside Chronicles if you can get your hands on a copy.