Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuitcasePimp
Feb 27, 2005

ZoCrowes posted:

Yeah it's a drat good one. For years it was the Scubapro Aladin Prime and was considered pretty solidly midrange. Scubapro changed the color to white, changed the name on the front and dropped the price by about $150. It's got quite a few more features than a lot of other computers at its price point.

The only complaint I have ever had about it is that it's display numbers is a little bit smaller than some of the other hockey puck sized computers.

My wife and I just got back from a dive trip and used our XP10s for the first time. They were easy to set up and use (first computers) and to switch from air to nitrox. We like to be conservative so I was stoked to be able to change the ppO2 for the MOD calculation. The only thing I would change is larger numbers as said above and an audible beep when the safety stop timer is done.
This was our first time diving alone and I freaking loved having a computer. I did the tables as an exercise while logging and we would have been severely limited by assuming a square profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
In five days I'll be in Key Largo diving. Yesssssssssssss. I'm excited enough about it that I'm gonna post post post about some of the wrecks in the Keys and what I'll be diving to hype myself up and maybe someone else will care.

Spiegel Grove: My home court, shared with every dive professional in the area because this site gets lots of traffic. This is a 510ft WWII landing ship that was intentionally sunk in 2002. OK... actually they unintentionally sunk it earlier than their intentional plan and after much clusterfucking, the ship ended up on its side. A few years later hurricane Dennis had other plans. The storm turned the ship perfectly upright. Hurricanes mean business. A 510 foot steel military vessel weighs a loving poo poo ton. "poo poo" may be interpreted to mean 9,000 if wikipedia is right.

This wreck can be all things to all divers. You can max out at 70-80 feet and see big portions of the main superstructure and do some cool swim throughs. You could also go under the ship and see the giant props at 140 feet. As far as wreck penetration, it's as easy or serious as you want it to be. I've got around 100 dives on this wreck and I've not seen everything. I like to do the Spiegel first because I know it well and it gives me a chance to acclimate and test all my gear out. One thing I have to do is touch snoopy. Snoopy was the ships mascot. There is a seal with him on it on the floor on the ~95ft deck level right in the middle of the ship. He's pretty easy to get to and I do it for good luck. I also really like the anchor chain room, which you access via small hatches on the front deck. There's cool machinery in there but not much room. Getting to the engine room is one of the more aggressive penetrations on any wreck that I'm willing to try.

The Duane: An intentionally sunk ('89 I think?) coast guard cutter. Much smaller than the Speigel but still a good size wreck. It sits upright. The sand is at 130' but the main deck is at about 100'. The fish life is better on this wreck and it's hard to get yourself into too much trouble penetrating it. Older wrecks have more stuff growing on them, thus attract more fish. The Duane and its sister ship are both very intact though.

The Bibb: The Duane's sister ship lays on her side maybe 2000 feet from the Duane. I believe that they originally wanted to sink them closer together so you could dive both at once but they botched it. Nobody ever goes to the Bibb because by virtue of being on its side, it's a deeper wreck. Looking at my past profiles, I'm constantly going from 115 to 130ish just swimming around and peeking into the wreck. A ship on its side also offers much less protection from current than an upright one. Like any ship on its side, you have to be more careful penetrating it because of how easy it is to get disorientated. I was a huge rear end in a top hat once when diving this wreck. A group of divers had requested a two site trip, one to the Bibb, then the Duane. I was the only dude doing decompression. Well I was down 107 minutes when they were down 30 tops. I surface to a boat full of seasick people ready to murder me. I thought they were doing two dives with a surface interval on the Bibb :(

The Eagle: I love the Eagle! It's off Islamorada, which is just south of Key Largo. It lies on its side and is also broken in half. I think the sand is at 100' feet so it's a good dive for everyone. I've always had great dives on it, with rays and sharks, etc.

"The Cannabis Cruiser": Honorable mention. Near the Eagle. Some guys were trying to smuggle a poo poo ton of weed into the US and apparently scuttled the ship when they were discovered. Legend has it that the first divers on it pried open a hatch and a huge block of marijuana came floating out. Shops don't really go there because it's not a good dive compared to other wrecks. I just like the story.

The Vandenberg: I've only got one dive on this one. This is a certified big rear end wreck. Bigger than the Spiegel Grove even! It was intentionally sunk off of Key West in the past few years. I dove it last summer. There is very little growth on it thus far, but still a lot of awesome things to see. This ship did signals intelligence and has huge satellite dishes on top of it. Before it was sunk it was in some lovely 90's movie about a computer going insane or something. The rudder is giant and despite being at 150', is an easy thing to get to. There were a ton of nice looking places inside but I did not penetrate too much. I bet you could spend hours in there and we were trying to see as much as possible in one dive. One cool thing I saw was a photography art project they placed on the wreck. One that stood out to me was a picture of a ghostly woman hanging laundry on the sunken wreck. It takes 2.5 hours to get to Key West from Key Largo so I doubt I'll be hitting this one unless someone down there wants to go.

Northern Light: This is an unintentionally sunk wreck off of Key Largo. It has a complicated history but long story short this ship ended up carrying cargo in the area and sunk in a gale in the 1930s. This is a big boy wreck. The bottom is at 190' and you spend most of the dive around 180'. There are no mooring buoys so the dive boat has to either: 1. "Hook" the wreck with an anchor, which is very difficult to do from the surface in strong current. 2. Drop a "shot line" which is a heavy anchor that provides a stable line that hopefully is near the wreck. Or 3. Let the divers do a "hot drop", which involves positioning the boat a quarter mile or so up current of the wreck, getting bearing on it, and then jumping in and sinking as fast as possible while trying to let the current drive you towards the wreck. A nice thing about hot dropping is that you get to do a drift decompression where you launch to the surface an inflatable buoy tied to your reel. The boat then follows the buoy and you as you slowly ascend and decompress with the (often strong) current.

The Northern Light is an amazing wreck. For whatever reason once you get as far out/deep as it is, you see marine life that you don't otherwise. Bull and Hammerhead sharks are very common, as are Goliath Grouper. The wreck itself buckled into two pieces as it sunk. The bow portion sits intact and upright, but the stern is inverted and bent backwards towards the bow. This led people to call it "the elbow" wreck before it was identified. It looks like a bent elbow on sonar. There is not much to penetrate. The cargo hold and other areas are very open. The fish life and the ambiance of the dive really make this one.

Queen of Nassau: A lot of what I just said about the Northern Light applies here. It sank around the same time and place but is more intact. It rests in around 230' of water. It was a retired naval cruiser. It owns. Can you tell that I don't know enough about it to write a good post so I'm hoping I can dive it again in the comming week?

Another dive I want to do very badly is the Hydro Atlantic off of Pompano Beach. Another real wreck that I think is 170 to the sand with most of the interesting stuff around 150.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 6, 2012

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

East gales to 35 kt. Wind waves 17 ft. Scattered showers.

Its time to DIVE
be safe bishop we must hear of exploits of this :)

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
drat dude, this all sounds awesome. It's getting me really excited for when I make my hike to the Keys the first week in August. If you happen to be down there then, I'd definitely like to meet up to check some of this out.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

ZoCrowes posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that the Suunto and the XP10 are both pretty conservative dive computers. The uses XP10 uses a Buehlmann algorithm and the Suunto uses RGBM. That's not really a bad thing to me though.

How conservative is conservative? If I exceed no-deco time and have to do a deco stop, will the computer refuse to allow me a second dive before a 24 hour time period has elapsed?

Also, not too clear exactly on what the difference in algorithms is.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Bishop posted:

Free divers often spearfish or hunt for lobster and other sea life. Here's a sweet video of some free diving instructors messing around on a wreck off of Key West.

There is a good chance this is the most badass thing I ever seen. Freediving looks really awesome and it would be fun to push your body like that.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Trivia posted:

It's er, really complicated. Most of the models are going to give you close to the same no-decompression limits. The bigger difference is how they structure your decompression.

If you take a computer running Buhlmann into deco, it should try and get you to shallow stops quickly, where RGBM or other VPM variants will give deeper stops. This has to do with differences in the basic assumptions (yeah, this ain't an exact science) that each model makes. The total deco time will be close with both models. Their differences are more apparent the deeper/longer the dive is. If you unintentionally go a bit past the no-deco limits, any model is going to give you basically the same thing... 10 minutes at 20 feet or whatever.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 7, 2012

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Trivia posted:

How conservative is conservative? If I exceed no-deco time and have to do a deco stop, will the computer refuse to allow me a second dive before a 24 hour time period has elapsed?

You'll be fine. Its seriously a non-issue for anyone who isn't in divemaster training, or a super gear queer. If you dive with someone else with a different algorithm, if you've been at the same depth/time as that computer, you might have a minute or two variance in your no deco time, or what depth/time your deco stop should be at.

It reaaaaaaaaaly is complicated and bears little to zero weight on recreational diving.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Trivia posted:

One day you can do the same dive and the next day get bent. Best advice?

STAY HYDRATED!!!

http://www.alertdiver.com/697 Dere ya go.

BTW I use external male catheters (thanks liberator medical).. pee valve and drysuit. I piss some 5+ times on a 3 hour dive as I hydrate like Brad Pitt on Burn After Reading.

I need to video the urine sometime!

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 7, 2012

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Trivia, since your question was really about if that specific computer locks you out for entering deco: based on a quick look at the manual*, it looks like it only locks you out if you incur deco and then go above one of the prescribed stops for more than 3 minutes. They call it :siren: SOS :siren: mode and in addition to your computer screaming at you, it locks you out for 24 hours.

*http://www.subgear.com/media/9908/xp10-multilanguage.pdf

Bishop fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 7, 2012

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I'm curious why computers bother to lock you out. I've watched people (idiots) on dive boats pop out the batteries on their dive computers between dives in order to clear them and bypass a lockout. There's something about warm water that brings out reckless divers.

I get that the people shouldn't be diving after doing something so reckless, but since sometimes they do, isn't it safer to have a computer with their dive history that will accurately reflect their exposure?

Maybe it's a liability thing?

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 8, 2012

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Maybe it's a liability thing?

Bingo. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen if they don't lock you out and something bad happens. Why would they want to give you any sort of mode that would let you back in the water and allow THEM to provide you with any bit of information. If their equipment kept giving you feedback it would be really easy for them to be sued.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

SlicerDicer posted:

I would say if you have to strap something to you do a 40cf Worthington for the weight characteristics. Those things are FANTASTIC!!

But then again I am not advising doing such things I am in awe at 3cf/min SAC... That would be 16cf/min give or take at depth of 120.. Are you sure its 3cf per min sustained?

Finally pulled up the VM with my dive software in it to check again, and I was high; the actual SAC for my exciting 2 minute 15ft max depth dive was 2.258 ft3/min.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

fordan posted:

Finally pulled up the VM with my dive software in it to check again, and I was high; the actual SAC for my exciting 2 minute 15ft max depth dive was 2.258 ft3/min.

Just remember results are not that great when your first going down + water etc.

What was external temp? You can lose 200psi just hitting water due to temp changes. Need larger sample size.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

SlicerDicer posted:

Just remember results are not that great when your first going down + water etc.

What was external temp? You can lose 200psi just hitting water due to temp changes. Need larger sample size.

It was mid May in PA, so probably 70-80 external temp. The tank was at least partially submerged for several minutes while we stood stomach/chest deep in the water on the ramp dealing with gloves/hoods/people in front of us/last minute pre-dive discussion.

edit: and given that I was using it as a stressed/scared diver SAC rate for me, I'd prefer not to give a larger sample size, thank you. :D

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Hopefully the weather clears up soon to allow for diving again. Its been all of terrible here.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Well I will be going to MokuHo'oniki Rock (Molokai) and bringing my camera. Hopefully will get some good pics and video :)

Things seem to be settling down to allow me to do it tomorrow.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Did some wreck diving on Saturday and Sunday. Both dives were about 90 minutes surface to surface. I almost ran out of line on my 400ft reel on one penetration which is cool or disconcerting depending on how you look at it.

I dove an Evolution+ rebreather today and it's a cool unit. Trims out real nice. My only complaint about it that the bailout valve is a bit awkward and just dosen't feel well constructed. More generally, I'm so used to holding my breath when I get my buoyancy perfectly dialed in (before passing through a tight restriction or something) that I did it out of habit a few times which messes you up on a rebrerather. I'm taking it to a wreck diving sometime this week so we'll see how that works out.

Weather is not cooperating for some of the more aggressive dives but I've got almost a week to see if things clear up. On that subject: the snorkeling boats in Key Largo can be pretty evil. They go out pretty much regardless of weather, taking people who probably aren't used to being in rough seas to sites that have poo poo visibility because of how shallow they are. I saw a boat coming in earlier full of people that... did not look very excited about their experience.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Bishop posted:

Did some wreck diving on Saturday and Sunday. Both dives were about 90 minutes surface to surface. I almost ran out of line on my 400ft reel on one penetration which is cool or disconcerting depending on how you look at it.

I dove an Evolution+ rebreather today and it's a cool unit. Trims out real nice. My only complaint about it that the bailout valve is a bit awkward and just dosen't feel well constructed. More generally, I'm so used to holding my breath when I get my buoyancy perfectly dialed in (before passing through a tight restriction or something) that I did it out of habit a few times which messes you up on a rebrerather. I'm taking it to a wreck diving sometime this week so we'll see how that works out.

Weather is not cooperating for some of the more aggressive dives but I've got almost a week to see if things clear up. On that subject: the snorkeling boats in Key Largo can be pretty evil. They go out pretty much regardless of weather, taking people who probably aren't used to being in rough seas to sites that have poo poo visibility because of how shallow they are. I saw a boat coming in earlier full of people that... did not look very excited about their experience.

Man, that is pretty terrible. Not only do rough seas suck, but low vis snorkeling can be pretty terrifying for people who aren't experienced. I was out this weekend in Fort Lauderdale and the Viz was horrible. Couldn't see bottom in 20fsw. Mostly went fishing but got some diving in later in the day. Viz waslow enough to make hunting hard, and the only nice fish I put a shot on was too quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzh6lroPp1c

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

Very cool the evo is a good unit, buoyancy is a totally different animal on the rebreather indeed. Holding breath is bad idea LOL.

The BOV are you talking of that lovely buddy air thing connected to the wing? I tore that off and have a aftermarket power inflator. I can shoot pics if needed, best thing to do would get a different alternate air source indeed. I hate that buddy air thing.

I am likely going on a rough boat tomorrow. I wonder if the length of rope + bucket will be needed to horse trough the vomit for people. Failing that it goes full blown shomit I will get video promise if that happens!

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

Man, that is pretty terrible. Not only do rough seas suck, but low vis snorkeling can be pretty terrifying for people who aren't experienced. I was out this weekend in Fort Lauderdale and the Viz was horrible. Couldn't see bottom in 20fsw. Mostly went fishing but got some diving in later in the day. Viz waslow enough to make hunting hard, and the only nice fish I put a shot on was too quick.

Rough seas are not so much what sucks, what sucks is visibility. But Terrifying is better than vomit there is a level of truth to this. You get somebody scared enough they wont poo poo or puke.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

SlicerDicer posted:

Very cool the evo is a good unit, buoyancy is a totally different animal on the rebreather indeed. Holding breath is bad idea LOL.

The BOV are you talking of that lovely buddy air thing connected to the wing? I tore that off and have a aftermarket power inflator. I can shoot pics if needed, best thing to do would get a different alternate air source indeed. I hate that buddy air thing.

I am likely going on a rough boat tomorrow. I wonder if the length of rope + bucket will be needed to horse trough the vomit for people. Failing that it goes full blown shomit I will get video promise if that happens!

Rough seas are not so much what sucks, what sucks is visibility. But Terrifying is better than vomit there is a level of truth to this. You get somebody scared enough they wont poo poo or puke.

What mechanism makes holding your breath to maintain an exact buoyancy not work on a rebreather?

Tell them to wait until the dive to puke, no reason to let free chum go to waste.

The last time someone I know puked they got attacked be a few remoras, it was absolutely hilarious watching the 3 of them trying to attach to his body while he desperately defended himself while puking and making them more interested.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 13, 2012

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

What mechanism makes holding your breath to maintain an exact buoyancy not work on a rebreather?

Never ever ever ever hold your breath while breathing any compressed gas at depth no matter what. You can have an over expansion injury with even a pressure change of a few feet. It does not take much to damage the alveolar membrane.

Bishop- that's too bad about the weather. It's kind of par for the course for the keys in late winter and early spring though. You might get lucky though because the weather can turn around I what seems like minutes.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

The counterlung. In open circuit, your lung volume helps with buoyancy. This isn't the case with rebreathers because when you inhale, the counterlung reracts the same volume as your lungs, and when you exhale, it expands as much. There's no net volume change of air when you inhale/exhale, so you can't control buoyancy with your breath.

Oh, and another update on my buddy in the hospital. He just came out of surgery, and all of his 3rd degree burns have been grafted. It'll take a week to tell if they will all stay, but he's extubated and is pretty stable at the moment. All in all, as good as he can hope for barring infections/pneumonia complications.

Crunkjuice fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 13, 2012

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

ZoCrowes posted:

Never ever ever ever hold your breath while breathing any compressed gas at depth no matter what. You can have an over expansion injury with even a pressure change of a few feet. It does not take much to damage the alveolar membrane.

Bishop- that's too bad about the weather. It's kind of par for the course for the keys in late winter and early spring though. You might get lucky though because the weather can turn around I what seems like minutes.

I know you aren't supposed to, and I understand the dangers of lung over expansion injuries. But I do it every so often while lobster diving if I need to do some precise hovering with my hands in a hole. I only do it in those instances where im absolutely certain im not changing depth at all. I also do it in a way that's more exhaling imperceptibly slow then "holding" my breath (keeping the airway open). I dont think there is much risk in that, and it beats some other lovely lobster divers solutions of going negative and standing all over the reef for support.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 13, 2012

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound

Viz waslow enough to make hunting hard, and the only nice fish I put a shot on was too quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzh6lroPp1c

Is that a helmet mounted cam or something, loving the FPS vibe you had going there. I've never used a speargun, but it does look like a fun way to get a fresh meal...

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Azzip posted:

Is that a helmet mounted cam or something, loving the FPS vibe you had going there. I've never used a speargun, but it does look like a fun way to get a fresh meal...

I use one of these

Which is pretty great for scuba diving too. Although a number of gopros have gone missing from peoples heads. You can also mount it to a mask pretty easily with a small bolt.

Going out, swimming off the beach to hunt dinner completely under your own power. On a beautiful reef in a sustainable fishery. Then going home and making an incredible and otherwise expensive meal for the cost of the seasonings. Is probably the greatest thing I've ever done or will ever do. If I was rich I would just leave all my money in the bank and spend every day free-diving/spearfishing. The problem is that its exceedingly addicting and im not rich. Even when I dive all weekend, on Monday morning I am wishing I was in the water.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 13, 2012

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

ZoCrowes posted:

Never ever ever ever hold your breath while breathing any compressed gas at depth no matter what.
Pretty much. It would be bad to teach anything else. I'll "hold my breath" (in reality I might be barely inhaling or exhaling)in situations where I need to be absolutely still vertically. Passing through a small hatch in a silty room is a good example. Always with my lungs around half full because assuming you've got the right amount of gas in your BC/wing, empty lungs will make you start sinking and full ones make you rise.

W/R/T rebreathers, in addition to what crunkjuice said, if you hold your breath the unit gets confused and starts injecting gas into the loop which messes up your buoyancy and breathing. The best advice I've heard is to just breathe deeply and constantly. Unlike open circuit it's not effecting your buoyancy and you've got plenty of gas. Using your lungs for fine tune buoyancy is just a tough habit to break after 15 years.

As far as the weather goes, it might get a little nicer towards the weekend but I don't like my chances of getting to do some of the deeper wrecks. It's been a lovely past 6 months down here for boating.

Crunkjuice posted:

Oh, and another update on my buddy in the hospital. He just came out of surgery, and all of his 3rd degree burns have been grafted. It'll take a week to tell if they will all stay, but he's extubated and is pretty stable at the moment. All in all, as good as he can hope for barring infections/pneumonia complications.
That's great that he's recovering as well as can be hoped for. That's some scary poo poo.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 13, 2012

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Welcome to Molokai

Yes that is me using the Rebreather, it allows me to spend time taking photos without really having to worry about no decompression limits the same as open circuit.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

SlicerDicer posted:

Welcome to Molokai

Yes that is me using the Rebreather, it allows me to spend time taking photos without really having to worry about no decompression limits the same as open circuit.

Some really awesome photos there, the fish variety in hawaii is just out of control, so many schools of color. What was the depth on those dives? Also your camera takes some pretty nice photos, what are you using?

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 14, 2012

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I guess envy doesn't really describe how I feel right now.

Jerk.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Some really awesome photos there, the fish variety in hawaii is just out of control, so many schools of color. What was the depth on those dives? Also your camera takes some pretty nice photos, what are you using?

I was over 100ft for a hour.. I am using a consumer grade canon G12 that has been a nonstop nightmare. It partial floods quite frequently its not designed for what I am doing. I have also only a single strobe as I imploded my other one. In the mean time I will use this till I get my DSLR case to go underwater with it and pro strobes.

Trivia posted:

I guess envy doesn't really describe how I feel right now.

Jerk.

Sorry :(

http://imgur.com/a/chmgv Here is the complete album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH_2uobcNr0 some video stuff.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound

Although a number of gopros have gone missing from peoples heads.

As in the whole thing came off I'm guessing? Yeah I'd probably want to secure it to my BCD or something as a secondary failsafe, but in a way that wouldn't present a danger of it getting tangled up in the octo hose or around tank valves or whatever.

Going out, swimming off the beach to hunt dinner completely under your own power.

Mmm yeah, when I was in NZ it was really easy to get a fresh caught huge snapper for a decent price, then chuck it in the oven in a huge pyrex dish head tail and all surrounded by fresh veg and water, and have it come out later cooked to perfection and surrounded by tasty fish gravy. The only thing that could make that better is having caught that fish myself.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Azzip posted:

As in the whole thing came off I'm guessing? Yeah I'd probably want to secure it to my BCD or something as a secondary failsafe, but in a way that wouldn't present a danger of it getting tangled up in the octo hose or around tank valves or whatever.

Right, and I just mean with that particular head-strap. It feels secure and hard to not notice coming off your head. But under water it seems to quietly sneak away when people are distracted with important diving stuff. I know like 2-3 people who have lost them that way. Now they just bolt it to the mask. Which is an all around better solution.

SlicerDicer posted:

I was over 100ft for a hour.. I am using a consumer grade canon G12 that has been a nonstop nightmare. It partial floods quite frequently its not designed for what I am doing. I have also only a single strobe as I imploded my other one. In the mean time I will use this till I get my DSLR case to go underwater with it and pro strobes.

Sorry :(

http://imgur.com/a/chmgv Here is the complete album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH_2uobcNr0 some video stuff.

Man, I forget that hawaii's mountainous topography extends into the ocean. Here in Florida the only elevation we get is Reefs that have made themselves tall and the gradual slope into the ocean. I get a boner when I see a 10ft cliff lol.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 14, 2012

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Awesome pics slicer. I like seeing pacific ocean stuff because the fish confuse the poo poo out of me :)

Here in Florida the only elevation we get is Reefs that have made themselves tall and the gradual slope into the ocean. I get a boner when I see a 10ft cliff lol.
You can do wall dives in Southern FL but they suck rear end. There are some great ones in the Bahamas or elsewhere in the Caribbean though.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Bishop posted:

Awesome pics slicer. I like seeing pacific ocean stuff because the fish confuse the poo poo out of me :)
You can do wall dives in Southern FL but they suck rear end. There are some great ones in the Bahamas or elsewhere in the Caribbean though.

Yeah I did some cruise diving/freediving in the carribean in feb of last year and it was awesome. Which wall dives do you know of? And im guessing they suck rear end as in they are devoid of life?

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Man, I forget that hawaii's mountainous topography extends into the ocean. Here in Florida the only elevation we get is Reefs that have made themselves tall and the gradual slope into the ocean. I get a boner when I see a 10ft cliff lol.

Note: All pics are taken by me so they are free as in beer share them if you wish

Also all these are i.imgur.com/foobarh.jpg remove the trailing h on foobar and they punch out to full resolution if you wish to have larger copies or gain full res shots of one.

CONFINE TO BLOODY DEEP!!! This is over 300ft deep

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Right, and I just mean with that particular head-strap. It feels secure and hard to not notice coming off your head. But under water it seems to quietly sneak away when people are distracted with important diving stuff. I know like 2-3 people who have lost them that way. Now they just bolt it to the mask. Which is an all around better solution.

I'm planning on getting one within the next few months and was considering doing a bolt on to my mask too. The other option I thought of for a quick and dirty failsafe would just be zip tie the head strap to my mask strap. Eventually I would want to find a mask that would work with it though. My Oceanic is frameless so there's really nothing good to mount it to on that one.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I was almost one of these people. As I was descending, I tried to scratch my head because it itched. I noticed that the GoPro wasn't on there. Fortunately, it had JUST fallen off, so I was able to reach out and grab it.

My current problem with my GoPro, though: I tried to change the lens out for a flat lens, and somehow stripped one of the screws in the process. I can get all of them out but one, and I still haven't replaced the lens, so my one experience underwater is just a big blurry mess. I tried the 'put a rubber band on the screw" trick, and all the things I've found on the internet are like "use a power drill!", but I obviously don't want to do that near the lens and such. Does anyone have any tips?

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 15, 2012

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Definitely don't use a power drill, but you do need to switch tools. Try to find a screw extractor small enough to fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

SgtScruffy posted:

I was almost one of these people. As I was descending, I tried to scratch my head because it itched. I noticed that the GoPro wasn't on there. Fortunately, it had JUST fallen off, so I was able to reach out and grab it.

My current problem with my GoPro, though: I tried to change the lens out for a flat lens, and somehow stripped one of the screws in the process. I can get all of them out but one, and I still haven't replaced the lens, so my one experience underwater is just a big blurry mess. I tried the 'put a rubber band on the screw" trick, and all the things I've found on the internet are like "use a power drill!", but I obviously don't want to do that near the lens and such. Does anyone have any tips?

If one of the screws is damaged I would say there is a high probability that case is hosed. Even just 60 feet down those little seals get the poo poo squeezed out of them, I dont know If I would trust the side without the screw to hold up. But you can always install and do a dive without the camera inside to find out.

If it is hosed you can get a flat lens+housing for eyeofmine for only $80

http://www.eyeofmine.com/gopro/underwater/

rockcity posted:

I'm planning on getting one within the next few months and was considering doing a bolt on to my mask too. The other option I thought of for a quick and dirty failsafe would just be zip tie the head strap to my mask strap. Eventually I would want to find a mask that would work with it though. My Oceanic is frameless so there's really nothing good to mount it to on that one.

Yes and not only that the skirt needs to be attached to the front, not the sides of the frame. But not all masks are like this. Another good options is a small lanyard you can attach to your mask strap.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 15, 2012