Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

This video (starting around 9m30) goes into detail about a lot of the issues they've faced with the massive unexpected demand they've had for the Pi and why it's taking so long. The Raspberry Pi foundation is a charity so they aren't allowed to raise venture capital etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublethink
Sep 11, 2001

Umpossible my dear fellow, simply umpossible
on a scale from stupid to Paris Hilton, how much of a failure am I setting myself up for by attempting to develop a relatively simple app using Qt for embedded linux and the virtual frame buffer to bypass needing X on the RPI.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
Paris Hilton's pocket dogs.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Goon Matchmaker posted:

Paris Hilton's pocket dogs.

Between stupid and Paris Hilton, I'm actually not sure where that falls.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
That's, like, Snooki stupid.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

Between stupid and Paris Hilton, I'm actually not sure where that falls.

Well they're pocket sized chihuahuas...

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
So, like, 30% Paris?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

More like more retarded than Paris Hilton.

Doublethink
Sep 11, 2001

Umpossible my dear fellow, simply umpossible
Any other pointers for a C++ Gui API that doesn't require X? Or am I mistaken in thinking that x is. morbidly obese?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
You're mistaken in thinking that X is morbidly obese. FFS, it's essentially the same program that ran on PA-RISC systems with 8MB of memory. It's fine. QT and GTK may be hogs (QT's better than GTK in that regard, at least), yeah. dbus? Sure. X? No.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

If I've been invited to order, how long do I have to actually order? I just paid my car registration and I'm out of disposable income until Friday next week. I got he email last Friday. Will I still be able to do it?

Birdkiller
Oct 24, 2006
I got mine running OpenELEC. plays media off my network just fine but has problems with the mouse and keyboard I use.

I originally tried Raspbmc but couldnt get it to install properly, so I will have to wait for a newer update to try again.

Anyone else come across the raspbmc not actually installing on its first run? it restarts thinking it's done but wont come back on.

INTJ but horny
Feb 3, 2011

AH, YES.
YOU FOUND MY
LAIR'S SECRET
ENTRANCE.

AlphaDog posted:

If I've been invited to order, how long do I have to actually order? I just paid my car registration and I'm out of disposable income until Friday next week. I got he email last Friday. Will I still be able to do it?

I ordered months after I got the invite so you'll be fine.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
If i understand this correctly, you can now buy an $8 accessory to interface custom hardware projects with the raspi.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/02/adafruits-pi-cobbler-breakout-kit-puts-raspberry-pis-pins-to-w/

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

You could do the same with a couple of these on the end of the ribbon cable instead of using a whole pcb.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/SIP110-PPPC-D13-ST-BK/S9332-ND/2095341

There's probably also a single 2 row plastic connector somewhere with .3" row spacing that would fit a breadboard too.
Edit: I think this one should work(couldn't find a 26pin, so I went up to 28): http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ADAM-TECH/FDP-28-T/?qs=TTVbHWoAP%2fQP8HTx%252b5csmA%3d%3d

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 3, 2012

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Mr. Wedenhart posted:

I ordered months after I got the invite so you'll be fine.

Good to know, thanks!

I should be able to order this friday, so I guess I'm set :)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

evol262 posted:

You're mistaken in thinking that X is morbidly obese. FFS, it's essentially the same program that ran on PA-RISC systems with 8MB of memory. It's fine. QT and GTK may be hogs (QT's better than GTK in that regard, at least), yeah. dbus? Sure. X? No.

Ha, yes - X is many things, but it does have a long history of running on things we'd consider laughably weak today. (Fluxbox was usable on my 486.)

That said: Do test Qt embedded, just to see. I'm sure they've put a lot of work into it to make it run ok on all sorts of junk, so... could be interesting. :)
(It should be fairly easy to move from Qt embedded to Qt/X, anyway.)

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Pweller posted:

If i understand this correctly, you can now buy an $8 accessory to interface custom hardware projects with the raspi.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/02/adafruits-pi-cobbler-breakout-kit-puts-raspberry-pis-pins-to-w/

There's also this breakout board (similar to the Arduino Protoshield) which even has an Xbee socket:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Slice-of-Pi...=item4ab8725dcd

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Does anyone want to use my order code I just got from Element 14?

My email is redrobinhood.sa@gmail.com
also
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3493958

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Finally got my Pi. I installed Arch Linux ARM on it, overclocked it to 800MHz, 350MHz GPU, 500MHz RAM, adjusted the RAM allocation to 224/32, and recompiled the kernel. It's noticeably faster than stock now even though it took about 5 hours to compile the kernel. :v:

I still haven't figured out exactly what I'm going to do with it. I'm kind of thinking portable SSH terminal. It's a neat toy, for sure.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Red Robin Hood posted:

Does anyone want to use my order code I just got from Element 14?

My email is redrobinhood.sa@gmail.com
also
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3493958
edit: I'm out. Not paying for access code.

calcio fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 4, 2012

Spagett
Feb 24, 2012

calcio posted:

edit: I'm out. Not paying for access code.

You're in luck, I have one and I'm too lazy to order it! PM me if you want it, free of charge.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Nobody should be paying for an access/order code. Newark/Element14 has a notice up on their 'sign up' page stating that they expect to have units available for order (without having to express interest and wait for a code) by July 5th. They're still estimating 6-8wks until delivery once orders are placed, but thats no different from anyone who has used an order code the past few months.

I would expect RS/Allied will be in the same position shortly too.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

brettlaf posted:

You're in luck, I have one and I'm too lazy to order it! PM me if you want it, free of charge.
Thanks! PM Sent.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Lukano posted:

Nobody should be paying for an access/order code. Newark/Element14 has a notice up on their 'sign up' page stating that they expect to have units available for order (without having to express interest and wait for a code) by July 5th. They're still estimating 6-8wks until delivery once orders are placed, but thats no different from anyone who has used an order code the past few months.

I would expect RS/Allied will be in the same position shortly too.

Yeah I received an email today telling me I can place an order and as soon as I went to place one they said to wait until July 5th. Oh well, not like one day matters in the long run considering how long it takes to ship.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
People who have already received their pis, what did you end up paying for shipping? (to which country)

I'm still interested in picking up a pi at some point, but not if it's $15 for shipping a $35 kit.

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!

Pweller posted:

People who have already received their pis, what did you end up paying for shipping? (to which country)

I'm still interested in picking up a pi at some point, but not if it's $15 for shipping a $35 kit.

To the US (Chicago, but where in the US shouldn't make much difference) it cost me $43.33 shipped by Newark/Element14.

Edit: That includes $3.33 in taxes.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Pweller posted:

I ended up being charged $62.51 total from farnell, shipped to Austin, TX :(

Oh and a $1.87 "Foreign transaction fee" on my CC.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

I paid $38.88 CAD to me in Canada from Newark Canada. I think they'll be closer to $43-44 shipped now, but mine was ordered in the first 24hrs after launch and they had to honor some mistskenly low shipping costs I believe.

Order from Newark if you're North American as they don't dropship across the pond like RS/Farnell/Allied.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Ordered 2 of them from Element14/Newark and shipped to Austin

Merchandise Total $70.00
Freight: $6.80
Tax: $6.37
Order Total: $83.17

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
poo poo. You guys in the States are getting screwed on the postage aren't you? In the UK it cost me £26 delivered from Farnell (pre-ordered on the first day via phone), comes to about $41. I would offer to buy them on your behalf and ship them over cheaper but I'm going away for most of the month shortly :( maybe when I get back.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Your Merchandise Total $35.00
Your Freight Total $6.55
Your Tax Total $2.49
Your Order Total $44.04

It would be more expensive to have them reshipped from anywhere else than it would be to just buy them locally, it seems.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I'm trying to get it off of Newark Element14 but it says it is temporarily unable to take my order. At least the message says it still has my place in line.

12 element
Jan 24, 2005
Too rare to die.
Anyone have any ideas when farnell are going to start selling to the general public? Yesterday they said it would happen on the 5th of July but now it's saying that they are waiting so that the customers that expressed interest have ample opportunity to order?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Just placed my order with Allied Electronics since the Newark Element14 site still won't take orders. This is before I read shipping from them will be high. :( Hopefully I can cancel it if Newark's site starts working so I don't have to pay the high shipping fee.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Element14 edited their page to say "mid-July" for general orders now. :(

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Just got shipping confirmation on mine, ordered March 22nd.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
I just got in on a group order through E14, expected ship date is late November.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

univbee posted:

Element14 edited their page to say "mid-July" for general orders now. :(

I'm trying to figure out why they sent me an email saying it was my turn and then immediately say they are unable to take my order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kapowski
Dec 21, 2000

HONK
I got mine last week, though I've still got little idea what I'm going to do with it and literally none of the equipment I need to make it work like SD card, micro USB power cable, monitor, keyboard, or mouse :)