Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It is a great feeling. Related, I had a few people over for a BBQ in the yard today since it was nice out, and while showing them around the construction zone I looked up at the porch ceiling I'd just torn out and saw something that looked suspiciously like a squirrel tail...

Yeah, dead squirrel in the porch ceiling. I guess that explains the rotten smell from that general area for the last year or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I like that you're burning down an entire house in slow motion.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The fire department put the kibosh on burning more until I have a proper outdoor fireplace put together and inspected by their head honcho. So that's unfortunately out for now... I have begun cleaning the old mortar off the bricks from the old chimney, at some point in the next few months I intend to finish cleaning them up, take a count of how many I have, and sketch up some rough drafts of what I want to build. I have some ideas, but nothing concrete yet. Next "free dump day" isn't for around 3 months, so I have time...

ACEofsnett came over today and helped me pick up a bunch of the scrap/demo lumber and lath that had been sitting around for a while, free dump day isn't for a long time so we just stacked it neatly in one corner of the yard. I can't wait to have that crap out of my life, whether by burning it or by dumping it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Obvious choice for the brick would be a nice firepit or one of those cool outdoor stove/oven things if your municipality allows it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That's exactly what I have planned - if I have enough. I'm going to build a fireplace/hearth where the southeast corner of the back porch ends, with a chimney going up above roofline as required, and add a sort of pergola structure over the porch that will allow me to put up an awning and use the porch even when it's raining.

That's all in theory - I need to determine if I have enough brick, sketch up what I have in mind, and discuss it with the building inspector and fire chief/inspector before I do anything.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Oh god :stonk:

I just tore some plaster/lath off the bottom of the wall in the living room to see what kind of sill plate damage I'm looking at on that side of the house.

:stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk:

The longer wall seems to be MOSTLY ok, it's at least solid enough to still hold the house up. I won't know more till I peel the sheathing off and stick a screwdriver in it, but from the top of the beam, it wasn't too pungy.

The short wall right by the front door? Yeah, nope. Holy gently caress. It's as bad as I feared... not only was there evidence that someone had been in there before, it looks like the living room floor (originally, as pictured before it's been redone since then) and that particular sill plate had a rather bad insect infestation at some point. The base of the wall cavity was about 4-6 inches deep in wood dust that appeared to have been digested. The sill plate under it was extremely pungy and I accidentally knocked the bottom out of a stud (in a weight bearing wall) with my screwdriver. The wall over the worst section was 1/4" drywall layered directly over the lath, rather than plaster/lath, so I know someone went in there to do repairs at some point, and half assed it.

Welp. I was afraid of this, seeing as I could hear rainfall from inside the basement next to this wall, but I was kinda hoping I was wrong. Apparently I'm going to be spending some quality time with the 12 ton bottle jack again in the near future! At least now I know for a fact that I can handle this level of repairs without much sweat, it's just annoying.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Sounds like it's worse than the last wall you repaired. Definitely sucks, but you're definitely right - at least you have the skills to fix it now. Just makes it that much more bad rear end when you finish.

Do you have that inside wall opened up? Are you going to run all new studs since they sound like they're toast anyway and you'll be in there?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's about as bad as the worst corner of the last wall I did - unsurprisingly, it's directly under the other valley of the roof. Guess which parts of the roof were leaking the worst?

Not gonna run new studs, the outer walls are balloon construction so the studs go all the way to the top of the second floor. I'll just cut them off about a foot up (or wherever the rot stops, whichever comes second), splice, then sister them with about a 3-4 foot piece to make sure nothing tips over.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Since it was raining and I don't really feel like working on sill plates, I did some spackling/mudding in the bathroom. I couldn't find anyone who sold a waterproof spackle, the only similar product being thinset mortar with a waterproofing agent added (which I don't feel like working with) so I'm using type 1 low-VOC mastic. Is it not exactly what it was intended for? Yes. Is it going to work? Yes, I've already learned to finish it to the same surface finish as spackle and it sticks like a bastard to anything and is more waterproof than regular spackle/mud, which is what most contractors would use for this anyways. I just want it waterproof because I have high standards, not because it truly needs it.

A few more applications (since it's odd to work with and I'm a beginner, I can only do a 12-18" wide swath of it without leaving goofy lines and marks everywhere) and I'll be able to sand it down and install the proper shower surround, which will be nice because I'm tired of showering surrounded by poly sheeting as if I'm in some sort of chemical agent/decontamination shower.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

kastein posted:

The fire department put the kibosh on burning more until I have a proper outdoor fireplace put together and inspected by their head honcho. So that's unfortunately out for now...

Where do they stand on poo poo just magically setting itself on fire? drat kids with their boxes of matches.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
As a fan of Legos and German engineering I always wanted to try using the Kerdi line for building bathrooms:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zcjSeh5RiQ

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

88h88 posted:

Where do they stand on poo poo just magically setting itself on fire? drat kids with their boxes of matches.

That doesn't really fly with them unfortunately.

iv46vi posted:

As a fan of Legos and German engineering I always wanted to try using the Kerdi line for building bathrooms:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zcjSeh5RiQ

That's pretty neat, but probably way out of my price range. If I build another house... hmmmm...

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

kastein posted:

The fire department put the kibosh on burning more until I have a proper outdoor fireplace put together and inspected by their head honcho. So that's unfortunately out for now...

Half-bury an old bathtub.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

My yard may look pretty hillbilly right now with the piles of demolition debris in it, but I don't want it to stay that way. I'm not sure a half-buried bathtub firepit would add exactly the ambiance I'm aiming for.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

kastein posted:

My yard may look pretty hillbilly right now with the piles of demolition debris in it, but I don't want it to stay that way. I'm not sure a half-buried bathtub firepit would add exactly the ambiance I'm aiming for.

1/2 buried toilet!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Build miniature castle walls and battlements with a wee moat 'round them if you want to class it up. :scotland:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

kastein posted:

My yard may look pretty hillbilly right now with the piles of demolition debris in it,

I wonder if the person who called in the complaint about you burning thought that all the way through...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Cleaning up the yard a bit more, just found some leftovers from the sill plate replacement.

Not sure if :frogsiren: or :2bong: is more appropriate here. That's not chalk!

These EXOTIC MOLDS have apparently been feasting on this sill plate for some time, and now they're blooming! Into the demo waste pile they go, green, red, yellow, white, or blue, I'm an equal opportunity hater of molds.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Mostly just keeping this out of the archives...

... I had a quite promising interview today. So there is a decent chance that I'll actually have money to fix things again in the near future.

Can't wait. :getin:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

kastein posted:

Mostly just keeping this out of the archives...

... I had a quite promising interview today. So there is a decent chance that I'll actually have money to fix things again in the near future.

Can't wait. :getin:

Any details? Full time work? You're some sort of electrical engineer or something, right?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Based on his apparent lack of a self preservation instinct it was posited that he's next in line to become a dangerous secret agent for the government.

There's supposed to be a movie about it soon called Jeepflinger.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Close, hopefully I'll be becoming the lead (AKA only) EE/embedded systems engineer at a company building flying cars.

So yes it involves flying cars.

I'm an electrical and computer engineer specializing in embedded systems.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

kastein posted:

Close, hopefully I'll be becoming the lead (AKA only) EE/embedded systems engineer at a company building flying cars.

So yes it involves flying cars.

I'm an electrical and computer engineer specializing in embedded systems.

Well that sounds fuckin awesome. Best of luck to ya! I've been patiently awaiting my George Jetson briefcase car for a long time now. GET TO WORK! :D

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Is this the 4-turbine VTOL guys?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Finally, so that was your long plan for the 5 tonner :iamafag:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I slept in this house last wednesday. did not get nail through foot A+ visit

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

:siren: free dump day! :siren:

Time to haul demo debris with ACEofsnett until my arms fall off.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

We rocked the poo poo out of that free dump day, all the bagged plaster I had stacked up and around 80% of the massive waste-wood pile is gone.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

kastein posted:

We rocked the poo poo out of that free dump day, all the bagged plaster I had stacked up and around 80% of the massive waste-wood pile is gone.

Aww yiss. Mutha loving free dump.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I wish there was free dump day around here. I would take the day off work and empty my basement.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Wasn't going to rub this in but might as well... Every day is free dump day in my town! wooooooooooooo 420 throw poo poo out every day

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

apatite posted:

Wasn't going to rub this in but might as well... Every day is free dump day in my town! wooooooooooooo 420 throw poo poo out every day

lucky bastard! :argh:

They told me they won't be continuing this soon, so I hope I manage to get this job because then I can just have 30yard rolloffs delivered instead of loving around waiting 3 months stockpiling debris.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Just do what the bastards do around my part of the world, Load up the ute with rubbish, go find the nearest national park, back up to the fence, heave all the poo poo over the fence into the park and make it so I have to go and pick it all up and throw it in the bins.

Fuckers.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I really really hate it when people dump stuff in the woods illegally. In fact I've hauled probably 20 old tires, a couple old couches, and a few truckloads of random debris out of the woods while 4-wheeling because I hated looking at it. One of the best things about running a pickup instead of an SUV.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

kastein posted:

I really really hate it when people dump stuff in the woods illegally. In fact I've hauled probably 20 old tires, a couple old couches, and a few truckloads of random debris out of the woods while 4-wheeling because I hated looking at it. One of the best things about running a pickup instead of an SUV.

I do the same thing because it makes me sad to see this stuff in the woods. Have hauled out all sorts of insane stuff and brought it to the dump because others were too lazy. Ran across a big pile of junk in some County Reforestation Land last night on an ATV trail, but was on a motorcycle and it was too hard to carry a full weight bench thing out of the woods with just a bungee net and no real straps...

Bunch of idiots around the world apparently.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Ferremit posted:

Just do what the bastards do around my part of the world, Load up the ute with rubbish, go find the nearest national park, back up to the fence, heave all the poo poo over the fence into the park and make it so I have to go and pick it all up and throw it in the bins.

Fuckers.

I'm ok if we shoot these people.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Backov posted:

I'm ok if we shoot these people.

Same here, can we bury them with all their illegally dumped refuse in an unmarked grave?

ACEofsnett found a receipt with a name on it and everything while we were cleaning up a recent illegal dumping site once, if it weren't for the fact that I don't like going to jail I likely would have used the name/address to track the perp down and slashed the tires on their loving truck after dumping all the garbage in the back again. Assholes.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

When they clean up fly-tipping sites in the UK they go through any paperwork and prosecute anyone they find info for.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

kastein posted:

lucky bastard! :argh:

They told me they won't be continuing this soon, so I hope I manage to get this job because then I can just have 30yard rolloffs delivered instead of loving around waiting 3 months stockpiling debris.

At least your dump takes building debris, my useless town won't take it or let us burn it. Have to borrow a pickup truck and pay $30 at the next town over. We waited till our in laws came down with their truck to strip out our room full of ugly paneling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Cakefool posted:

When they clean up fly-tipping sites in the UK they go through any paperwork and prosecute anyone they find info for.

Last big pile I went to clean up had the guys dole forms and everything in it. Work declined to prosecute because unless we witnessed them doing the dumping, it couldnt be confirmed that it was them and wasnt someone else stealing their rubbish and dumping it in the park.

Sometimes my work absolutely floors me with the levels of stupid it will descend too...