Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Heads up: there's been an NVIDIA Experience update. Shadowplay now records at 16:10 aspect ratio if that is what you play at. In other words, it is now ~perfect~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Also it records your mic now as well, apparently.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM

Animal posted:

Heads up: there's been an NVIDIA Experience update. Shadowplay now records at 16:10 aspect ratio if that is what you play at. In other words, it is now ~perfect~

Does it record at 2560x1440 now? Or is 1920x1200 the max?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Animal posted:

Hearing things like this make me want to upgrade my GPU, even though I have no reason to. Does it still only work with fullscreen games, or can you record in windowed mode now?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Agreed, you may have jumped on the 780Ti train too soon. Report: EVGA Making GTX 780 Ti Kingpin for Overclockers

quote:

The card is rumored to feature 6 GB of GDDR5 memory as well as an unlocked voltage sweetened with no limit on the TDP. A little snippet of the cooler has been teased; it has a carbon fiber effect, which obviously makes the card 100 BlingyHz faster.

Sadly, that's all we know about the card, except that EVGA will be releasing it in December.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Perhaps we could start a pool on how long it takes Agreed to get one after it's released. :getin:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I give him half an hour, tops.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Whoever's closest get's his 780ti?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm buzzing in one minute.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
You can get all of the TDP and voltage benefits by editing the bios on whatever 780ti you already have. The GK110 has voltage and power limits set by the manufacturers similarly to the GK104.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 2, 2013

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Speaking of bioses, I am now rockin' an unlockable r9 290 (Powercolor). :toot:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Ghostpilot posted:

Speaking of bioses, I am now rockin' an unlockable r9 290 (Powercolor). :toot:
Welcome to the club. :respek:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

El Scotch posted:

Perhaps we could start a pool on how long it takes Agreed to get one after it's released. :getin:

Going to go with "The instant someone else can talk themselves in to buying his current 780ti"

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Gwaihir posted:

Going to go with "The instant someone else can talk themselves in to buying his current 780ti"

I would be tempted to if he did want to.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Don't encourage him! :arghfist::v:

Edit: Wow. The XFX 290 I just dropped the Gelid onto before slapping it into my system. This one I decided to see if it was unlockable before jumping through the Gelid's hoops again (haven't flashed yet). With the reference cooler and on stock clocks this thing idles higher (64c) than what my load was with the Gelid cooler and a 1100mhz overclock.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 2, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

beejay posted:

Agreed, you may have jumped on the 780Ti train too soon. Report: EVGA Making GTX 780 Ti Kingpin for Overclockers
Running BF4 at 2560x1440 only uses 1.8GB on my 7970GE :colbert:

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Running BF4 at 2560x1440 only uses 1.8GB on my 7970GE :colbert:

Out of curiosity, what frames do you get and at what settings?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Guni posted:

Out of curiosity, what frames do you get and at what settings?
I requested a refund and deleted the game, but with everything maxed out, I want to say FPS was always 50-60. Any frame drops were never noticeable, and I can definitely tell the difference between 30 and 60fps.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
How would I go about trying to figure out if I can flash my r9 290 to a 290x? There's $200 difference between the 2 cards here and I'd love to get that extra performance for free.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Back from vacation! That was awesome, no internet woooo

I fully expected them to release a high memory model (dumb) with unlocked TDP (unnecessary); I got one fresh off the presses so I could play the "welp time to answer R9 290x ASAP!" fully unlocked GK110 chip lotto. Those models will probably top out at about 50MHz more on the core/shaders and, oh, heck, who knows, push as much as twice the memory OC as your average 770 or 780Ti (the two cards shipping with 1750MHz GDDR5 modules) since EVGA sticks REALLY well validated VRAM on their special models, neither of which I care about at all (and for all practical purposes you shouldn't either, unless you're a CUDA developer who doesn't do dick with double precision, in which case full speed ahead that thing will rule).

I've got a 780Ti with 3GB of VRAM (not going to need more than that for the year that I'll be using this card, I'd bet on that I reckon but not sure how much) that runs at or over 1250MHz in all games that can actually put this much power to use. Good to go. I got a chip as good as the ones they'll be binning to stick in that thing, and the ACX cooler keeps it frosty as heck.

Only thing that'd change that would be if I could step-up to it in a reasonable time frame, but in the high end Step Up is just all stick no carrot, virtually every EVGA card past the "SC" models are considered "special" models and not eligible to step up to in the first place.

Also, this bandwagon rules hard, I got me a batman game and a pirate game and and and a new game of pwns poster to replace the old one and some splinter cell crap, is that any good I don't even know, and a ton of cool stuff from the Steam sale and it all runs so super duper fast now and man oh man I'm one happy video card nerd :) Go go gadget graphics motherfuckers!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 3, 2013

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I actually really like the new Splinter Cell, even speaking as a total Chaos Theory fanboy. There's a really interesting flow to it and it's super loving fun when you pull off crazy poo poo.

I played it on PS3 though so I dunno how it actually takes advantage of PCs other than high res textures. Are there any crazy shaders or effects or whatever?

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Rahu X posted:

Name a price and/or feel free to shoot me a PM with the details, and I'll decide from there.

I missed your post. Here is what I have available:

Antec 620
13 copper 'ram sinks' with thermal tape.

I am trying to work on a price. How about $67 shipped for the 620 and a package of ram sinks? That and the $29 Kraken G10 would make a formidable cooling setup for any video card.

(I also have a second 620 and 4 VRM heatsinks)

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

jink posted:

I missed your post. Here is what I have available:

Antec 620
13 copper 'ram sinks' with thermal tape.

I am trying to work on a price. How about $67 shipped for the 620 and a package of ram sinks? That and the $29 Kraken G10 would make a formidable cooling setup for any video card.

(I also have a second 620 and 4 VRM heatsinks)

That sounds excellent. What kind of VRM heatsinks do you have, and how much extra would they add on to the price if you were to throw them in?

Either with or without them, you pretty much have my interest at this point.

See second post below.

Rahu X fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 3, 2013

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I picked up a 770 a week or so back, and while I love the performance I'm getting out of it I'm worried I made a mistake getting a 2GB edition. I can do EVGA's step up program to a 3GB 780 for around ~150 or a 780TI for ~250. Both could be doable, but I'm not sure it's worth it. I want to hold on to this card for at least 2 years.

I think it should $350 to step up from the 770 to the 780ti. It is a slow process for the step up. I have moved up 5 spots (currently #41) for the 780 acx after 3 weeks in queue. The 780ti queue is above 300 cards currently.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

cat doter posted:

How would I go about trying to figure out if I can flash my r9 290 to a 290x? There's $200 difference between the 2 cards here and I'd love to get that extra performance for free.

First go here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1445030/is-your-r9-290-unlockable-find-out-here

And if your card's unlockable, head here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1443242/the-r9-290-290x-unlock-thread

Just finished unlocking mine. I actually hard more trouble making my USB drive dos bootable than anything else (kept hitting snags with 3 different methods before finally just snagging this, making an MS-DOS boot and dragging the atiflash.exe and the asus.rom onto the USB).

Went off without a hitch once I got past that bit.

Here are my results with ShaderToyMark at standard settings.

Pre-Flash
290 @ 1 ghz
644 points
107 FPS

Post-Flash
290x @ 1 ghz
689 points
114 FPS

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 3, 2013

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Rahu X posted:

That sounds excellent. What kind of VRM heatsinks do you have, and how much extra would they add on to the price if you were to throw them in?

Either with or without them, you pretty much have my interest at this point.

Just as a heads up, you'll need some more ramsinks:

16 for the chips (blue) and then for VRM 1 (red) and 2 (green). The bit there in purple is the one that the Gelid's GPU heatsink will partially cover (about 20% of the chip) if anyone here went that route (there's about a 2mm gap of air between the Gelid heatsink and that chip. For that you may be best turning one of the ramsinks 90 degrees to mostly cover that chip and perhaps using that thermal pad for the remaining bit covered by the Gelid's heatsink.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 3, 2013

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

Ghostpilot posted:

Just as a heads up, you'll need some more ramsinks:

Oh, I know. I'll probably get more at a later date.

VRAM doesn't really get that hot anyway, so I'm sure I'll be fine with a few not being heatsinked.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
If you need more vram sinks, this is the cheapest I've found them online, $3.89 shipped for 8 with tape:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8pcs-14x12x5-5mm-Copper-Chipset-Cooler-Heat-Sink-For-IC-SD-DDR-SDRAM-VGA-Memory-/350876577198

I just got my thermal tape in the the mail, I'm considering maybe just laying copper refrigerator coil from Home Depot across the chips as a heatsink, would that work about as well?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Edit: ^^^ Not sure, but I am curious! Be mindful of the weight. While my Gelid is lighter than the reference cooler, I'm not sure how much weight you'd be adding with a refrigerator coil. Of course, if you don't think you'll ever be taking advantage of the warranty, you can do what this guy did and take a hacksaw to the reference sinks.

And too bad I didn't know of that auction before. 2 sets of those would be only slightly more than what I paid for the tape.

Fortunately I spent the downtime between cards cleaning off the thermal tape from the ramsinks (seriously, the 3M thermal tape is a monster and anybody that says different didn't clean their surfaces properly), cutting and applying new Sekisui thermal tape to the ramsinks, and getting a nice, lapped sheen on the Gelid's copper.

Knowing what I know now should enable me to install it in a fraction of the time, but I'm still not looking terribly forward to the process.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 3, 2013

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Doyzer posted:

I think it should $350 to step up from the 770 to the 780ti. It is a slow process for the step up. I have moved up 5 spots (currently #41) for the 780 acx after 3 weeks in queue. The 780ti queue is above 300 cards currently.

This is totally unconscionable if you ask me, and completely kills the Step Up program as a value-add at all. The opportunity cost associated with waiting that long to receive the desired item is unbelievably high, and as somebody who has paid attention to their stock as they've rolled out both the GTX 780s and the GTX 780Ti cards, it is BLATANTLY apparent that step-up goes behind everybody else in terms of order fulfillment. It's got way too much of the feel of a bait-and-switch, I imagine anywhere with stronger consumer protections it could even be illegal.

With their extended warranties, you have the opportunity to reasonably evaluate whether you think the card will fail in 3 vs. 5 vs. 10 years, and if you really, really think that a failure in years 3-5 are worth the extra warranty cost given that they'll just be giving you a ~performance parity card, and 4-5 years is usually two generations in graphics cards so by the time you get the new card it'll be middle tier at best. A ten year warranty is just excessive and silly and hopefully nobody who is buying an EVGA card will register that, total waste of money.

But their Step-Up program is really clearly some misleading advertising. I guess in the end you'll get your card, but when? Considering you're a legacy customer, you'd think they'd allocate a solid portion of direct sales for that purpose alone, but they are completely screwing folks who want to go from a good card to the better or the best card. If the 780Ti queue is as slow-paced as the 780 one has proved to be, despite them having good stock on the 780 many, many times and supplying a ton to retailers during the period that Doyzer mentions, could realistically, bafflingly see people not getting 780Ti step-ups completed until the next generation of cards is out, assuming the rumor mill is correct about a late Q1/early Q2 launch of 28nm Maxwell SKUs.

So :psyduck: I don't even know what to say. I like EVGA as a brand for their warranty, but I will never, ever recommend them for the Step Up process. It seems to be damned near worthless. Surely your time is worth more than that, and you learn too late that you'd have been better off selling the old card for a moderate loss (since EVGA does have an excellent, transferable warranty, they retain their value well) and just putting up the cash to upgrade yourself.

Doyzer, is it even possible to cancel a Step-Up once it's begun to get your poo poo back and take care of it yourself? That just seems so unbelievably shady. Not loving cool, EVGA. :mad:

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
I can cancel anytime. No issues there. For me I think it is worth it for me to upgrade to the 780 because I bought my 770 in September at $400. So it only costs me $100 plus shipping to upgrade. I could always sell the new card once it arrives and not lose much money. But unfortunately my 770 retails $50 less than what I paid for it in September. I plan to use the 780 for as long as possible.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Agreed posted:

This is totally unconscionable if you ask me, and completely kills the Step Up program as a value-add at all. The opportunity cost associated with waiting that long to receive the desired item is unbelievably high, and as somebody who has paid attention to their stock as they've rolled out both the GTX 780s and the GTX 780Ti cards, it is BLATANTLY apparent that step-up goes behind everybody else in terms of order fulfillment. It's got way too much of the feel of a bait-and-switch, I imagine anywhere with stronger consumer protections it could even be illegal.

With their extended warranties, you have the opportunity to reasonably evaluate whether you think the card will fail in 3 vs. 5 vs. 10 years, and if you really, really think that a failure in years 3-5 are worth the extra warranty cost given that they'll just be giving you a ~performance parity card, and 4-5 years is usually two generations in graphics cards so by the time you get the new card it'll be middle tier at best. A ten year warranty is just excessive and silly and hopefully nobody who is buying an EVGA card will register that, total waste of money.

But their Step-Up program is really clearly some misleading advertising. I guess in the end you'll get your card, but when? Considering you're a legacy customer, you'd think they'd allocate a solid portion of direct sales for that purpose alone, but they are completely screwing folks who want to go from a good card to the better or the best card. If the 780Ti queue is as slow-paced as the 780 one has proved to be, despite them having good stock on the 780 many, many times and supplying a ton to retailers during the period that Doyzer mentions, could realistically, bafflingly see people not getting 780Ti step-ups completed until the next generation of cards is out, assuming the rumor mill is correct about a late Q1/early Q2 launch of 28nm Maxwell SKUs.

So :psyduck: I don't even know what to say. I like EVGA as a brand for their warranty, but I will never, ever recommend them for the Step Up process. It seems to be damned near worthless. Surely your time is worth more than that, and you learn too late that you'd have been better off selling the old card for a moderate loss (since EVGA does have an excellent, transferable warranty, they retain their value well) and just putting up the cash to upgrade yourself.

Doyzer, is it even possible to cancel a Step-Up once it's begun to get your poo poo back and take care of it yourself? That just seems so unbelievably shady. Not loving cool, EVGA. :mad:

This is why I like Australia's consumer protection law. I bought a 5970 for 700 dollars in early 2010, when it died in november 2012 I returned it to the store I bought it from for a full refund, and purchased a gtx680 for $500.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Ahh, that goes a long way to explaining the pricing in Australia.

I've never been much for aesthetics inside of my case so long as it was cool, quiet and functional. But this 290 waterblock is gorgeous.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 3, 2013

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

You do at least get to keep your video card until your spot comes up in line for the step-up. I did the step-up from the 660 to 660Ti earlier this year and had to wait a couple weeks to get to the front of the line. The thing is you have to pay for shipping and stuff so you have to factor those costs in. I dunno, the process was quite underwhelming honestly once I was done but then again I didn't come out of it with a working card so that tainted my experience as well.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

-Malaysian King Kai

Zero VGS posted:

If you need more vram sinks, this is the cheapest I've found them online, $3.89 shipped for 8 with tape:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8pcs-14x12x5-5mm-Copper-Chipset-Cooler-Heat-Sink-For-IC-SD-DDR-SDRAM-VGA-Memory-/350876577198

I just got my thermal tape in the the mail, I'm considering maybe just laying copper refrigerator coil from Home Depot across the chips as a heatsink, would that work about as well?

Thanks for the tip. I was actually eyeing those exact heatsinks.

Also, upon browsing eBay, I've come across a "lightly used" Antec Kuhler 620 going for $48.99 with free shipping. That with 2 8 packs of those heatsinks only brings me to ~$58.

So, I think I'm going to hop on that before it's too late. Sorry jink. This thing does have a 14 day no hassle return on it though, so if it ends up being absolute poo poo when I get it, I'll be sure to announce it in this thread and I'll be open for business again.

Now I just need to decide what to do for some VRM heatsinks. Those Enzotechs are so goddamn pricey. Debating on just getting some RAM heatsinks and cutting them up.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Old post, but yea- If you installed the latest drivers for a 650ti, they don't support an ancient 6200LE (Jesus how old is that card now, 10, 11 years?) The most recent drivers that support that series of GPUs are the 300s, and I think we're on 331.something.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/57491

Yeah it's pretty ancient - I got it while waiting for my 8800GT to arrive, and it was old and cheap already that point. What threw me off though was that it was the shiny new 650Ti Boost that wasn't working with newest drivers, while the 6200LE didn't even have any displays connected to it at the moment. In other news, my computer is celebrating its 6th birthday this month!

Have to say that the bundle I got with the card was quite disappointing - literally just a driver cd and a Molex power adapter. The 8800GT had a mountain of all kinds poo poo in the box as well as a game or two. Well, looking at my order history, it did cost over twice as much as the (probably overkill) 650 so I can live with that :gonk:. Oh, and I did get a couple of Free2Play coupons out of it but, sadly don't know anyone who would give me actual money for them.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Throw them on SA Mart and if they're the same coupons everyone else has been getting you can make at least 50$ back.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Agreed posted:

Back from vacation! That was awesome, no internet woooo

I fully expected them to release a high memory model (dumb) with unlocked TDP (unnecessary); I got one fresh off the presses so I could play the "welp time to answer R9 290x ASAP!" fully unlocked GK110 chip lotto. Those models will probably top out at about 50MHz more on the core/shaders and, oh, heck, who knows, push as much as twice the memory OC as your average 770 or 780Ti (the two cards shipping with 1750MHz GDDR5 modules) since EVGA sticks REALLY well validated VRAM on their special models, neither of which I care about at all (and for all practical purposes you shouldn't either, unless you're a CUDA developer who doesn't do dick with double precision, in which case full speed ahead that thing will rule).

I've got a 780Ti with 3GB of VRAM (not going to need more than that for the year that I'll be using this card, I'd bet on that I reckon but not sure how much) that runs at or over 1250MHz in all games that can actually put this much power to use. Good to go. I got a chip as good as the ones they'll be binning to stick in that thing, and the ACX cooler keeps it frosty as heck.

Only thing that'd change that would be if I could step-up to it in a reasonable time frame, but in the high end Step Up is just all stick no carrot, virtually every EVGA card past the "SC" models are considered "special" models and not eligible to step up to in the first place.

Also, this bandwagon rules hard, I got me a batman game and a pirate game and and and a new game of pwns poster to replace the old one and some splinter cell crap, is that any good I don't even know, and a ton of cool stuff from the Steam sale and it all runs so super duper fast now and man oh man I'm one happy video card nerd :) Go go gadget graphics motherfuckers!

Just as a heads up, Saints Row 4 is maxing the memory on my 290s in crossfire using 7880x1440 resolution, so it's coming sooner than people might think. At least at giant resolutions.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

veedubfreak posted:

Just as a heads up, Saints Row 4 is maxing the memory on my 290s in crossfire using 7880x1440 resolution, so it's coming sooner than people might think. At least at giant resolutions.

I don't think we should hold up the saints row series as a sign of anything, aside from the results of rushing a pc port on a dated engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I hope this is the right thread to ask this. Have any of you come across an issue with nVidia cards where the HDMI display will randomly crap out, and come back a few seconds later. Basically I'll be watching VLC, or playing a game, or even browsing the web, and my screen will go blank, the hdmi lost signal will pop up, and then the display will return. The drivers don't crash and nothing shows up in the windows event viewer about it. Here is what I've done so far:

- Stress tested the card, I can get it up to full load @ 53 Celsius for an extended period of time, ruling out cooling issues
- Uninstalled all drivers, then used the driver clean up tool to remove everything including the old ATI 5770 drivers
- Re-installed drivers using the latest, non beta drivers. I've tried 2 other sets of drivers and it still happens
- Underclocked the memory by 50mhz and the GPU by 45 mhz
- Moved the 660ti card from the upper PCIx16 slot to the lower one
- Set the GPU fan to go to full speed once it goes above 40 celsius, and set all of my full tower fans to go full speed

I'm at a loss at this point, my next step is to format the PC and see if it's a windows thing.