Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

tijag posted:

I'm thinking then I should just get a 1080p monitor unless I'm willing to spend big money on gsync and at least a 1070?

Well the 480 will preform better then a 290 or a regular 980.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Is a 1080 the card that will be recommended for 1440p and VR if the OP was updated? 1070 for 1080p?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

tijag posted:

I'm thinking then I should just get a 1080p monitor unless I'm willing to spend big money on gsync and at least a 1070?

Well, if you care about maxing everything the RX 480 is definitely going to be more of a 1080p card. If not, you could probably make it work at 1440p with medium settings.

The other thing you could do is wait for Vega, which will be the 490. It's obviously going to be more expensive than the RX 480, but it'll be more powerful too, and you can effectively put the $200 you save going FreeSync instead of GSync into a more powerful card. Or you could buy an RX 480 now and upgrade to Vega if you don't find that it's enough.

wargames posted:

Well the 480 will preform better then a 290 or a regular 980.

980 is 290X-tier. Significantly faster than a 290/970.

It's not possible to recommend the RX 480 before benchmarks come in, simple as that. I refuse to recommend the card blind. We can make some bare-minimum guesstimates like "no worse than a 290" but we need to know real numbers and see how far the card overclocks before you can definitely say "faster than a 980".

Some people even think it'll be almost as fast as a 980 Ti, I think that's delusional (there's a huge gap between 980 and 980 Ti). Maybe if you get a super good overclocker going up against a stock 980 Ti, but we just can't know for sure until the embargo lifts.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 27, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

KingKapalone posted:

Is a 1080 the card that will be recommended for 1440p and VR if the OP was updated? 1070 for 1080p?

A 1070 is probably more than good enough for VR right now. It's significantly above the baseline 970 recommendation, both in terms of performance and the fact that it's got multi-perspective rendering. A 1080 is fine if you really want to overkill but it's only 20% faster and it costs 50% more, so it's not a good recommendation from a price-to-performance perspective. A 1070 is way fast for the current crop of games - I am fine with a 780 Ti and a 1070 is probably at least twice as fast as a 780 Ti or 970 in VR.

For regular gaming, a 1070 or 980 Ti is perfectly fine up to 1440p, or even 4K at low/medium settings for some games. 1080 is "I have too much money and I am too impatient to wait until the 1080 Ti", it's too expensive to recommend given its small performance gain unless you absolutely must have the very best right this very second. RX 480 is probably going to be a rock-solid 1080p performer but on the low side for 1440p (potentially workable at lower settings). Vega 10 is an unknown but probably 1080-level performance, supposedly launching in the Q4 timeframe.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 27, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

KingKapalone posted:

The GTX 1070 can handle 1440p pretty easily. Doom fully maxxed out is ~120fps for me most of the time, dropping to 100-110 in large and open areas occasionally. I imagine it'll max out games at 1080p for a long time.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IndianaZoidberg posted:

Does anyone have any issue with Zotac GPUs? I just asked my goon playmate about there GPUs and he said "they are built cheap, don't buy one". I think he's full of poo poo and want to see what y'all think.

For the 980Ti generation, the Silent PC Review forums really liked their acoustic profile. In their 1080 thread, it appears they're going to continue having the quietest cooling solution.

Might not be what you're looking for if you're looking for a good overclock though.

For what it's worth, about 10 minutes ago I had the Zotac 1080 in my cart and was checking out on Amazon, but didn't get through in time. I guess they're like newegg -- until you actually get charged the item is still up for grabs.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 27, 2016

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
I have a Zotac GTX 770 that I was please with overall. It was the cheapest 770 they made, but build quality felt solid, metal shroud along with a dual fan cooling solution that didn't seem audible over any other components I have in my PC. I had to deal with customer support for a bit because the codes for the free games I had included in the box weren't working, but we had very solid e-mail communication with each other and they fixed my issues, so at least with my one experience with customer service with them, it was positive.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

NoDamage posted:

While I think it's pretty dumb that you can leave negative reviews for a product you haven't purchased, I doubt that these reviews have any effect whatsoever on sales of these cards. If you know you want a 1080, you're going to buy one regardless of whether some reviewers whine about the supply/price.

I wonder if the release of the RX 480 will have some effect on Pascal availability. Might be some people saying gently caress it, I'll just buy this weaker but much cheaper card. It should be enough for 1080p gaming, anyway.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

I wonder if the release of the RX 480 will have some effect on Pascal availability. Might be some people saying gently caress it, I'll just buy this weaker but much cheaper card. It should be enough for 1080p gaming, anyway.

I'm going to guess most people in that crowd will end up with a 1070 over 1080 since it's a much more rational choice except in a very few specific circumstances.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

A 1070 is probably more than good enough for VR right now. It's significantly above the baseline 970 recommendation, both in terms of performance and the fact that it's got multi-perspective rendering. A 1080 is fine if you really want to overkill but it's only 20% faster and it costs 50% more, so it's not a good recommendation from a price-to-performance perspective. A 1070 is way fast for the current crop of games - I am fine with a 780 Ti and a 1070 is probably at least twice as fast as a 780 Ti or 970 in VR.

For regular gaming, a 1070 or 980 Ti is perfectly fine up to 1440p, or even 4K at low/medium settings for some games. 1080 is "I have too much money and I am too impatient to wait until the 1080 Ti", it's too expensive to recommend given its small performance gain unless you absolutely must have the very best right this very second. RX 480 is probably going to be a rock-solid 1080p performer but on the low side for 1440p (potentially workable at lower settings). Vega 10 is an unknown but probably 1080-level performance, supposedly launching in the Q4 timeframe.

I disagree with you on a lot of your justifications but you are right on some things.

A 1070 is really only cutting it for vr as the only games we have are indie games, nothing that intensive, but I bet in about a year we see some real intensive titles and keeping those at a locked 100fps.

Also I have a 980ti and run doom on ultra at 1440p 100fps, so that low medium things is just wrong.

If you want 1440p, a 1070 will work great, if you want more power wait for the 1080ti, the launch 1080 will always be the worst card to buy if you can wait.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ColHannibal posted:

I disagree with you on a lot of your justifications but you are right on some things.

A 1070 is really only cutting it for vr as the only games we have are indie games, nothing that intensive, but I bet in about a year we see some real intensive titles and keeping those at a locked 100fps.

Also I have a 980ti and run doom on ultra at 1440p 100fps, so that low medium things is just wrong.

If you want 1440p, a 1070 will work great, if you want more power wait for the 1080ti, the launch 1080 will always be the worst card to buy if you can wait.

I said a 980 Ti is low/medium at 4K, depending on the game. It's typically high or ultra at 1440p, and as I said the 980 Ti/1070 are the default recommendation for high-settings 1440p.

Overall the 1070 is basically tied with the 980 Ti. The 1070 wins slightly at 1080p, they perform pretty much the same at 1440p, and the 980 Ti wins slightly at 4K.

The exception is VR, the 1070 has multi-perspective rendering which is a pretty significant boost to VR. I don't know an exact figure but I'd guess 30-50%.

VR is basically 1440p at 90fps (ideally 90fps minimum), so the 1070 should be doing OK given it performs like a 980 Ti plus the multi-perspective rendering performance boost. A 1070 may not be as much power as you like but it's really as much power as is practical right now - the only alternatives are the 1080 or multiple cards. The 1080 is only a 20% performance boost for a 50% increase in cost, and I think anything that's not going to run decently on a 1070 with tweaked settings is not going to run decently on a 20% faster card either. SLI 1070s is a better use of money in theory, but so far most VR games don't support SLI (although that's common for indie/shovelware titles).

So, as with monitor games, if you think a 1070 isn't going to be enough VR performance for you then I think you should wait for the 1080 Ti. However, since the 970 was sold as the "recommended" hardware spec, I think a lot of people are going to be quite pissed if a 1070 (which is roughly twice as powerful as a 970 in VR) isn't going to be cutting it.

It's also important to bear in mind that VR is probably going to be played with a framerate target with quality settings allowed to float free as necessary, as opposed to the quality target used in monitor games where framerate is allowed to float freely. This is how the few AAA titles like Project Cars work so far - the game tweaks settings on the fly to hit its 90fps target. That's going to make the difference less critical, weaker hardware won't look as pretty but at least you won't puke.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 27, 2016

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Is there any word on which brand/cards are the better values for the 1070s, or does it not matter too much? I saw some MSIs in stock last week but everything seems to have dried up again. I'm sorely overdue for a new card and have just wanted to throw money at something, but with them being so new I don't know if there are any recommended brands or lemons on the market right now. Are we probably expecting mid-July as the point where supply stabilizes
a bit? Are there any significant choices I need to make other than blower vs 2-fan vs 3-fan ( and I guess 3-fan seems to be the recommended unless you have water cooling?)

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Is there any word on which brand/cards are the better values for the 1070s, or does it not matter too much? I saw some MSIs in stock last week but everything seems to have dried up again. I'm sorely overdue for a new card and have just wanted to throw money at something, but with them being so new I don't know if there are any recommended brands or lemons on the market right now. Are we probably expecting mid-July as the point where supply stabilizes a bit? Are there any significant choices I need to make other than blower vs 2-fan vs 3-fan ( and I guess 3-fan seems to be the recommended unless you have water cooling?)
I got the MSI Gaming X 1070 which has a big dual-fan cooler. I can't hear its fan even under load and it's very effective, never went over 74 C over 2 hours of Doom despite running at 120% power. Best cooler I've ever owned.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Is there any word on which brand/cards are the better values for the 1070s, or does it not matter too much? I saw some MSIs in stock last week but everything seems to have dried up again. I'm sorely overdue for a new card and have just wanted to throw money at something, but with them being so new I don't know if there are any recommended brands or lemons on the market right now. Are we probably expecting mid-July as the point where supply stabilizes
a bit? Are there any significant choices I need to make other than blower vs 2-fan vs 3-fan ( and I guess 3-fan seems to be the recommended unless you have water cooling?)

Not really right now. Whatever is cheaper with the fan style you want (ie blower or not blower)

Edit: I'm looking a little more carefully over the 480 leaks. It looks like the average Firestrike Extreme score is roughly ~5200-5600 depending on OC or not. If I recall these are similar to factory AIB 970 and 390x (290x post patch) numbers. Has AMD hinted at any architectural improvements?

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 27, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Not really right now. Whatever is cheaper with the fan style you want (ie blower or not blower)

Edit: I'm looking a little more carefully over the 480 leaks. It looks like the average Firestrike Extreme score is roughly ~5200-5600 depending on OC or not. If I recall these are similar to factory AIB 970 and 390x (290x post patch) numbers. Has AMD hinted at any architectural improvements?

most people are unsure on the leaks because we don't know if the "card fell off the back of a truck" folks are using release drivers or not. the reviews that drop on wednesday should be more accurate.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

Gsync is the best technology, the problem is that it requires an expensive FPGA and new pcb which is why it's more expensive. I've seen a freesync monitor (5-10 min) and lived with a gsync (gsync autocorrects to gay club btw) 144hz 1440p, and gsync still wows me.

The choice to continue shipping a giant fPGA is mind-boggling to me. Okay, fine: if you want to get your tech out to the market asap, you can sell it as an fPGA. But surely by now, they could've designed an ASIC, and quietly replaced the fPGAs with ASICs? It's not like they lack the resources or the expertise to do so: ASIC design is this company's bread-and-butter.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lDDQD posted:

The choice to continue shipping a giant fPGA is mind-boggling to me. Okay, fine: if you want to get your tech out to the market asap, you can sell it as an fPGA. But surely by now, they could've designed an ASIC, and quietly replaced the fPGAs with ASICs? It's not like they lack the resources or the expertise to do so: ASIC design is this company's bread-and-butter.

Maybe they expect Freesync to take over soon so they don't want to invest in a new ASIC?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

The exception is VR, the 1070 has multi-perspective rendering which is a pretty significant boost to VR. I don't know an exact figure but I'd guess 30-50%.

How does this work? Is the videocard rendering less far-edge pixels on the users periphery?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

lDDQD posted:

As somebody who actually works for a company that develops multiple ASICs a year it was probably due to development cost. They probably had this on a schedule that was probably proof of technology on a fpga then ASIC design, what probably happened was somebody in marketing showed projected sales and low adoption of new monitors and they freaked out that they would never recoup the high DV and manufacturing cost of the ASIC and decided to ramp with the fpga.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eggyolk posted:

How does this work? Is the videocard rendering less far-edge pixels on the users periphery?

Both eyes share a single geometry pass.

Basically they do as much work as possible before they split it into two images. As long as the viewports are relatively close, the geometry in both eyes will be nearly identical and they're probably culling and warping for each eye in a second pass or something like that.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Paul MaudDib posted:

Basically they do as much work as possible before they split it into two images. As long as the viewports are relatively close, the geometry in both eyes will be nearly identical and they're probably culling and warping for each eye in a second pass or something like that.

Are there any games that use this yet? Is this a hardware change or is this done in the drivers?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's what they call Single Pass Stereo, but there's Lens Matched Shading as well. Instead of rendering one giant linear projection then warping it into the curved projection the HMD requires, they render four viewports in a pyramid arrangement approximating the desired curvature then warp those instead.

This way the distortion step is much less destructive and you can get away with rendering fewer pixels (33% fewer for the same perceived result according to NV, on top of 50% less geometry load from SPS).

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Naffer posted:

Are there any games that use this yet? Is this a hardware change or is this done in the drivers?

It's a hardware thing and it's completely new so it's going to be a bit until we see devs making use of it.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

As somebody who actually works for a company that develops multiple ASICs a year it was probably due to development cost. They probably had this on a schedule that was probably proof of technology on a fpga then ASIC design, what probably happened was somebody in marketing showed projected sales and low adoption of new monitors and they freaked out that they would never recoup the high DV and manufacturing cost of the ASIC and decided to ramp with the fpga.

Counterpoint: they already have the HDL code they program the fPGA with, so they could just shove it into synopsys to automatically spit out a (lovely) layout, and then send it off to be made on some old-rear end process, like 130+nm or something. poo poo's pretty cheap.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It's a hardware thing and it's completely new so it's going to be a bit until we see devs making use of it.

True, but at least the Maxwell VR stuff is finally getting some love. Obduction is going to ship with support for multi-res shading (the precursor to Pascals lens-matched shading) next month, and other UE4 VR games should follow.

lDDQD posted:

I actually can't find any images of the G-Sync v2 module (the one with HDMI input), are we sure they're still using an FPGA on that?

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 27, 2016

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What's a good way to tell the difference between all the different type of 1070 cards there are? This one just came back in stock. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=6202798&SID=

Obviously the 2 vs 3 fan thing is one difference.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

Zotact's Amp! Extreme Edition version of the 980 Ti is probably one of the fastest out of the box cards on the planet, equal in speed to the MSI 980 Ti Lightning. (but much louder, I'd rather go for quiet than power, and the lightning has both)

Hopefully the 1070/1080 versions will be the same. No idea on customer service though.

Apparently the new 1080 AMP is boosting to 2 giga-wiggles out of the box.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Whats sad is that Maxwell introduced VR SLI, and yet nothing uses it yet unfortunately. So any VR Specific features provided by hardware are easily still 1-2 years out from being used/mainstream. For now with VR, you just want the fastest most powerful single GPU solution if you want to play stuff like Project CARS at max with a full grid at 90FPS or Elite at Max on planets/in stations. Most of the other VR games are built for that 970 level performance, but having more headroom is always better.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Bought a 1070GTX gaming G1 for too much money but it is being delivered tomorrow and I'm hyped as gently caress (coming from a 660GTX)

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
I want to get a Gigabyte G1 or Windforce but I looked at all the reviews on newegg and pretty much every review complained about Gigabyte's "Xtreme Gaming" application. Ie. it doesn't work or is buggy etc.

You can just uninstall it and use EVGA precision or afterburner right? But you will lose the RGB control (they said that doesnt even work)?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I use afterburner for my G1, yeah. Seems to be full featured, but I haven't experimented with the fans yet. Haven't paid any attention to the RGB stuff, sorry.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

El Scotch posted:

Apparently the new 1080 AMP is boosting to 2 giga-wiggles out of the box.

I need a chrome extension like Cloud To Butt, but for MHz/GHz/Megahertz/Gigahertz to Mega-wiggles/Giga-Wiggles.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

I was curious about this as well and there's not much more public information on it besides "It's so great and everything you render will be faster and more fun" so I went to what I know which is code.

Reading the documentation comparing results in a quick demo, for what I would call "low geometry scenes" (250k triangles), Single Pass Stereo reduced geometry count by half but I didn't see any perf benefit at all. At 2M triangles there was a significant performance benefit of about 25% overall frame rate. So definitely a huge win there for decently complex scenes, which I would say no current VR title is complex enough for this to have much benefit. Implementing this is actually pretty straight-forward for games which don't already have complex rendering paths as you're really just passing some extra parameters through your vertex, hull, domain, and geometry shaders. If you're doing basic fixed-function pipeline kinda stuff with maybe some fragment shader effects then you could turn this on in under an hour. This does require that the game itself support it though, but I imagine VR games moving forward will definitely be including this tech.

Lens Matched Shading on the other hand reduces the number of rendered pixels to what is going to be warped into the VR headset. Again, this requires changes to the render path by the game developer but there's even less to do here, just creating N viewports (4 are used for VR) and setting some parameters which also will need to integrated into your Geometry shader. Using the NVIDIA supplied coefficients for the Rift reduced the number of pixels in the scene by 40% and and which increased performance by about 30%.

Both of these can be used together to combine their gains, however they are mutually exclusive with Multi-res Shading. It might be moot though because your lens-matched shading pixels are actually going to be compressed when rendered / stretched somewhat when presented so you're not just rendering with lower resolution (like you would with multi-res), you're not rendering those pixels at all (with lens-matched).

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Is there a formula that approximates the expected fps on 3440x1440 by interpolating the benchmarks for 2560x1440 and 4k?

I am still on the fence if I'm going to get a 1070, 1080 or wait for the inevitable 1080Ti and 3440 benchmarks seem to be hard to come by.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
So overall you think 30% for both on simpler stuff and 40% for more complex stuff? Cool, I was right in the ballpark :pcgaming:

Yeah, if you're building a VR system right now I think the 1070 is the way to go. Unless you hate money, in which case go ahead and knock yourself out with a 1080.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mcbexx posted:

Is there a formula that approximates the expected fps on 3440x1440 by interpolating the benchmarks for 2560x1440 and 4k?

I am still on the fence if I'm going to get a 1070, 1080 or wait for the inevitable 1080Ti and 3440 benchmarks seem to be hard to come by.

Maybe halfway between I guess?

The 1080 is a huge waste of money, you're paying 50% more for 20% more performance. If you are going to be tempted by the 1080 Ti then either wait for it or get a 1070 to tide you over. Or flip it and take a big hit when the 1080 Ti comes out.

I'd also recommend a 980 Ti if you can get one for under $400. They outperform the 1070 at those kind of resolutions, and you can actually get them.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
RX480's are now listed as coming soon on Newegg. :woop:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Bleh Maestro posted:

I want to get a Gigabyte G1 or Windforce but I looked at all the reviews on newegg and pretty much every review complained about Gigabyte's "Xtreme Gaming" application. Ie. it doesn't work or is buggy etc.

You can just uninstall it and use EVGA precision or afterburner right? But you will lose the RGB control (they said that doesnt even work)?

No reason to install it in the first place, its just afterburner with RGB controls. Afterburner works perfect (fan controls, etc) Geforce experience has RGB controls built in and it works.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The amount of "OMG GUYS I SOLD MY 390X/FURY X/980Ti FOR A 480 WHY ISN'T IT LITERALLY THE JESUS OF PERFORMANCE" posts in the last few days is amazing. It's insane the furor that people will whip themselves into with little to no information to go on. God drat. I can't wait to see all the angry posts about how AMD screwed up yet again by not delivering 1080Ti performance for 200 dollars like they (obviously had not) promised!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Gonkish posted:

The amount of "OMG GUYS I SOLD MY 390X/FURY X/980Ti FOR A 480 WHY ISN'T IT LITERALLY THE JESUS OF PERFORMANCE" posts in the last few days is amazing. It's insane the furor that people will whip themselves into with little to no information to go on. God drat. I can't wait to see all the angry posts about how AMD screwed up yet again by not delivering 1080Ti performance for 200 dollars like they (obviously had not) promised!

Been reading r/amd the last few days. Middle of last week people really had bought into the wccftech bullshit and thought they were about to get 200 dollar GTX 1070's with cards that were gonna do 1.6ghz on air. Now it seems like sanity is starting to reign again, with people expecting R9 390-390X performance instead. But the calls to ban wccftech are hilarious because people wanted to believe so hard.

Newegg shipped my 399.99 Gigabyte GTX 1070, I'll have it on Thursday. Looking forward to doubling to quadrupling my FPS depending on the game, games that don't like 2GB of VRAM are a real struggle on the card now.