Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

The Pirate Party is now one of the largest political parties in Iceland:

:psyduck:

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Haha, I think it's past time for Iceland to give up its independence project and just come back to Norwegian governance so that responsible adults can be in charge again. Looking back over the past decade, they're clearly not mature enough to be left alone without some kind of sitter.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
mwah, thread

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Combined with cheap plentiful geothermal energy, they could have a bright future as a data haven country.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

Haha, I think it's past time for Iceland to give up its independence project and just come back to Norwegian governance so that responsible adults can be in charge again. Looking back over the past decade, they're clearly not mature enough to be left alone without some kind of sitter.

Norway is just in a crazy separatist phase, you should get back under Denmark straight away.

Pictured: The rightful homelands of the Danes. All the Swedes and Finns and whatever that have moved into our lands are free to leave or be blockaded and bombed.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

Norway is just in a crazy separatist phase, you should get back under Denmark straight away.

Pictured: The rightful homelands of the Danes. All the Swedes and Finns and whatever that have moved into our lands are free to leave or be blockaded and bombed.

That map is incomplete.

Seriously though, it's bad enough it doesn't include Denmark down to Danevirke, but it doesn't even include all of modern day Denmark.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That map is incomplete.
It is. It doesn't even have Danish Mercia.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

BonHair posted:

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Mug shots of Baltimore police officers charged in Freddie Gray's death

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
We had a May Day march today.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I wanna know too. Such a party seems to me like the kind of thing lots of people (well, young men anyway) would SAY they were all about when they're with their friends, but when it was time for actual voting they'd be more sensible. Do they have some meaning beyond what they appear to?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

If You Build It We Will Burn It by Thomas Hawk, on Flickr

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
LONG LIVE REDDIt

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 2, 2015

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

wayfinder posted:

LONG LIVE REDDIt

You have a magic bullet.

You can remove one plague from the earth.

Royals or Reddit.

Make your choice.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Royalty, Redditors aren't a violation of equal rights simply by existing.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

Baracula posted:

Well a poster from the time they were busy suppressing all opposition with brutal violence is maybe not a good idea and perhaps this fetishism for the bolsheviks and their propaganda is actually unhelpful? Nope, probably just dumb hippies lol

E: my anarchocommunist fetishism is okay though

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

I thought this was a joke. It's not.

The OSS: Well known German secret police agency

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 3, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Seems like a thing to deprogram people who became objectivists as teenagers. I can't really hate that.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Rick Santorum surprised me today.

"If [Bruce Jenner] says he's a woman, then he's a woman," Santorum said to reporters Saturday at the South Carolina Republican convention. "My responsibility as a human being is to love and accept everybody. Not to criticize people for who they are."

:unsmith:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Met posted:

"If [Bruce Jenner] says he's a woman, then he's a woman," Santorum said to reporters Saturday at the South Carolina Republican convention. "My responsibility as a human being is to love and accept everybody. Not to criticize people for who they are."

Holy poo poo.

Ban me if you want, but holy loving poo poo that astounds me. :stare:

He may not be a Lich King afterall.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Met posted:

Content:
Joseph Kent, the guy who "disappeared" behind a humvee, being arrested again.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Strongly religious people can be weird about some stuff like that since it's not mentioned in the bible, so they just go with their heart. I know a woman who when she told her family, they accepted the trans part but told her quite firmly that she would need to begin dating men because dating a woman would be homosexuality and they wouldn't stand for that in their daughter.

Private jet terminal in Las Vegas a couple hours before the Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao fight.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Met posted:

I really can't hate Santorum. He's not somebody I want in any position of power over others but one one or two things he has his heart in the right place. I mean, 9 out of 10 times he's wrong and bigoted as hell but that remaining 1 time he says something that most people can agree with (but even there he fucks it up by his reference to global warming)

quote:

“Republicans should resist the temptation to dismiss all the talk about declining mobility as another hyped-up crisis – like global warming – and settle back to our old economic polices,” Santorum writes.

He complains that Republicans often pursue 1980s-era remedies to 2014 problems.

“Today, large businesses are doing well, and stock and commodity prices are strong,” said Santorum. “If you are an owner or investor, life has been pretty good. But for workers, it’s a different story…We have to admit that for the people at the bottom, that’s what it feels like these days—just a trickle.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/04/rick-santorum-book-106072.html#ixzz3Z2sVoZT3

Also the fact that he suspended his campaign for his disabled daughter really seems nice.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/rick-santorum-opens-about-disabled-daughter-bellas-gift

Random picture of 1989 Moscow.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

The "Night Wolves", a group of hardcore nationalist, pro-Putin bikers, are currently on their way from Moscow to Berlin which they want to reach on May 9th, the day of the German surrender. The governments of the various transitional states have made their attempt fairly difficult though, and they had to reroute several times. Today they've arrived in Vienna and laid down a wreath in front of the Soviet monument there. No idea why they're putting 9 year olds in WWII uniforms.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fermun posted:

Strongly religious people can be weird about some stuff like that since it's not mentioned in the bible, so they just go with their heart. I know a woman who when she told her family, they accepted the trans part but told her quite firmly that she would need to begin dating men because dating a woman would be homosexuality and they wouldn't stand for that in their daughter.
"No one who has been emasculated by crushing or cutting may enter the assembly of the Lord." [Deut. 23:1]
You might also be able to wrangle something out of Deuteronomy 22:5 "A woman must not wear men’s clothing, nor a man wear women’s clothing, for the Lord your God detests anyone who does this.", and at a stretch 1 Corinthians 11:3-15.

Sure, you'd be putting an absolute ton of emphasis on a couple of Old Testament verses while completely ignoring the surrounding verses, and then maybe seriously grasping for straws in the New Testament, but how is that any different to how they use the Bible to oppose homosexuality? :haw:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

grasping for straws in the New Testament, but how is that any different to how they use the Bible to oppose homosexuality?

A google search of new testament and homosexuality shows that it's pretty clear that christians who read their rulebook would oppose it. (do you think the new testament doesn't teach that homosexuality is bad?)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Norman Rockwell and MAD Magazine respectively, I think.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

spacetoaster posted:

A google search of new testament and homosexuality shows that it's pretty clear that christians who read their rulebook would oppose it. (do you think the new testament doesn't teach that homosexuality is bad?)

Most Christians who oppose homosexuality use Leviticus as the basis of their opposition, while disregarding a lot of other things that Leviticus says. It seems far fewer use Romans or Paul's other NT epistles.
A lot Christians who accept homosexuality believe that Paul was referring to ritual prostitution, pederasty, or the rape of lower class men by aristocrats in his epistles, or that the inflamed lust was the bad part.

There are as many rules in the OT (through Deuteronomy), and in Paul's writings in the NT on the 'natural born' roles of men and women in Corinthians, and even the creation itself in Genesis that a Christian who wished to quote scripture to oppose trans people would have as much ammunition as a Christian who wished to oppose homosexuality. And would open themselves to similar criticisms of cherry picking. The only difference seems to be that the pulpit has been used far more often to decry LGB than it has T. Bigotry against trans people usually takes other rationalizations than scripture.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
pictured: voters

http://www.vice.com/en_us/read/mossless-brighton-show-april?utm_source=vicefbus

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Help, poor people voting scares me.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
[wrong thread]

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

I'd rather have them then this person.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 3, 2015

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Ethiopian Jews protesting in Tel Aviv.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Nckdictator posted:

Help, poor people voting scares me.

It's OK, it's a self-correcting problem! Poor people have higher mortality rates from stress-related diseases, meaning they die younger, and therefore are not around to participate in as many elections. Looking at just US black voters from 1970-2005, one peer reviewed study found that 7 US Senate elections, and 11 gubernatorial elections that went to Republican candidates would have instead gone to Democrat candidates if the black voters who should have been present to vote had the same mortality rates as white voters.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn27456-black-lives-matter-premature-deaths-skew-us-election-results.html

chefvinny
Apr 5, 2009

The New York Times: News for the people the news will never effect.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
dnd.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

http://en.yibada.com/articles/30562/20150502/dead-zones-without-marine-life-found-atlantic-ocean-first-time.htm

World On Brink Of Sixth Great Extinction, Species Disappearing Faster Than Ever Before

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/29/sixth-great-extinction-species-disappearing_n_5412571.html

:tinfoil:

• Locked thread