Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Psion posted:

I find it funny how this genuinely locks me out - forever - of the "bad ending."

Yeah, that's why I waited on promoting until I got my fuckup Shep done. That said, there's nothing preventing you from getting the new "worst" ending that they added with the Extended Cut. Since all that takes is any sort of defiance to their MASTERPIECE OF AN ENDING. :jerkbag: Tell him twice that you don't accept his stupid choices, and welp, cycle continues and you magically fail at even making a dent in the Reapers. You can't even do some therapeutic shooting at the Catalyst anymore without triggering it. Passive-aggressive assholes. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
I'm pretty sure just disabling your internet connection before you start the game before attending the Cerberus base mission will prevent the game from accessing your N7 War Assets and lock in the lovely EMS if you want that, so you should be able to do Failshep runs just fine regardless of your promotions.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Burning Mustache posted:

I'm pretty sure just disabling your internet connection before you start the game before attending the Cerberus base mission will prevent the game from accessing your N7 War Assets and lock in the lovely EMS if you want that, so you should be able to do Failshep runs just fine regardless of your promotions.

Not really. You need both lack of war assets and lack of readiness to pull it off, and disconnecting only does the former. When I was doing the Failshep, with the exception of one happy accident I'm still not sure how it happened, every time I disconnected it would punch me up to 100% readiness rating when I was actually down at 50-odd. And the threshhold for the "worst success" is plenty low that you do need both.

E: Yeah, you'd think so. But they seem to be far more concerned about everyone being able to get the best ending than anyone being able to get the worst success. Then again, this was back in June or whenever the EC came out (I waited for it to see my Failshep in it so I could stop caring), so who knows what they may or may not have changed since then with patches.
\/\/\/\/\/\/

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 17, 2013

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Oh wow, I didn't know that. I would have assumed it would automatically assume a 50% readiness, not 100%.
Well that's pretty silly then, yeah.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wish the war assets crap had played into the reject ending, high assets, you win, low you don't, instead its bad end cause gently caress you for rejecting our masterpiece.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Felinoid posted:

E: Yeah, you'd think so. But they seem to be far more concerned about everyone being able to get the best ending than anyone being able to get the worst success. Then again, this was back in June or whenever the EC came out (I waited for it to see my Failshep in it so I could stop caring), so who knows what they may or may not have changed since then with patches.
\/\/\/\/\/\/
I'm pretty sure removing any negative impact from readiness was one of the advertised benefits of the EC. I imagine deleting it would still allow the Failshep ending, just with the original cut scenes.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Alteisen posted:

I wish the war assets crap had played into the reject ending, high assets, you win, low you don't, instead its bad end cause gently caress you for rejecting our masterpiece.

Well, after all the dumb “REAPERS CAN NEVER EVER EVER BE BEATEN CONVENTIONALLY" (that was shoehorned in via various retcons and forgetting plot points), they would have had to change the game overall to have that. That said, they should have had War Assets come in in a lesser way. Low EMS? Sorry, you get crushed. Middling EMS? You kill a good few Reapers before going down. Lots of EMS? You take down a whole bunch of Reapers. Massive EMS? You kill all of the Reapers at Earth, including Harbinger. All end in a loss of course, but with work you can make the Reapers choke on you. Also, have the female Stargazer comment on how much reaper losses contributed to their victory.

That would make it seem much less like a middle finger.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I'm pretty sure the spoiler thread is the place to whine like 14 year old BSN posters about how Bioware are just a big bunch of mustache twirling villains who deliberately do things to personally insult you :cry:

Tyrel Lohr posted:

I ran into a strange problem on Giant / Geth / Gold on about Wave 7 or 8 where my Salarian Infiltrator stopped being able to run, and could barely walk. It was like my keyboard had died, but I could tell it was just the movement aspect of the game that had fallen down on itself because the other keys were all still working. After I died once or twice and was revived it got a little better for the rest of the wave, still not great, but then I was back to normal on the next wave.

I've had that happen every now and then for months. The fix is pressing shift for a second. Why that effects it, despite it having no function in multiplayer, I have no idea.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I think we're drifting into the SP thread territory. this wasn't what I wanted :negative:

Anyway I tried the all-AP arrows all the time strategy for my Talon since I was re-levelling him and could max that out early. Not bad - basically effective, but I'm still not sure I want to give up conc. Still, the idea of having arrows everywhere and level 6 Cain mines does sound good. We'll see!

Arcology
Nov 6, 2012
So I ended up getting a Falcon in a pack recently, are there any classes that it works well on? I have a lot of fun staggering groups with it but it does so little damage that it feels more like a crowd control weapon than anything else. Unfortunately I don't have all that many classes unlocked yet, so here's my manifest: http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/?name=Thearcology&platform=pc

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah, the Falcon is basically for crowd control. It works best with disruptor or incendiary ammo on a tech class. Here's an example human engineer build based on what you have. The Hurricane is there for bosses while the Falcon should take care of most non-boss enemies. Stun them with it (works best if you can get them in groups), then unleash powers.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

UnknownMercenary posted:

Yeah, the Falcon is basically for crowd control. It works best with disruptor or incendiary ammo on a tech class. Here's an example human engineer build based on what you have. The Hurricane is there for bosses while the Falcon should take care of most non-boss enemies. Stun them with it (works best if you can get them in groups), then unleash powers.

It also works great with cryo ammo. I dunno if it's true but it seemed to me that more enemies were getting frozen, and faster too. Hit em with a concussive shot or incinerate specced for frozen damage and you've got a lot of shattered infantry! An extended clip and learning how to reload cancel work well with the Falcon, too. It's also comparatively light compared to some of the other ARs.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Seemlar posted:

I'm pretty sure the spoiler thread is the place to whine like 14 year old BSN posters about how Bioware are just a big bunch of mustache twirling villains who deliberately do things to personally insult you :cry:

Just explaining why having a reject victory wouldn't work. And I said 'seem like a middle finger' - I for one am not sure if the reject ending is one, just that it can be read that way.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Well I tried the talon merc going 5/3/6/5/6(?) and going bow-happy and he's a fun glass cannon on silver if you have a juggernaut shield and a crusader shotgun. I topped the scoreboard on silver/reapers/london and as long as you have a team to back you up the squishiness isn't a problem. I definitely wouldn't solo with it but it can be a great team player.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Seemlar posted:

Wow that is some leap over a few minor comments.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
My Talon Merc bugged out and now has all 6s. :getin: I have been running around gold matches with a melee consumable, juggernaut shield and executioner pistol modded with power and melee boost. Good clean fun. Might respec because I hardly ever use concussive arrows and don't think I will miss them.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
No one cares. This is the thread for pretending to be a giant-robot-Darth-Vader who teams up with Kirby-who-just-ate-Captain-Falcon.

Anyway, I finally decided to try the Adas. It's actually a pretty good souped-up Falcon. It staggers enemies, has a big clip and a decent RoF, and does pretty good damage to shields and barriers.

edit - sorry, I meant about the SP stuff. Hawkeye's awesome.

LeastActionHero fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 18, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Dilb posted:

No one cares. This is the thread for pretending to be a giant-robot-Darth-Vader who teams up with Kirby-who-just-ate-Captain-Falcon.

Anyway, I finally decided to try the Adas. It's actually a pretty good souped-up Falcon. It staggers enemies, has a big clip and a decent RoF, and does pretty good damage to shields and barriers.

If you hate Hawkeye you hate fun. :colbert:

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Oh, and you should probably respec, because hypothetically you can be banned for 'exploiting' the extra skill points bug. I'm not sure they've actually gotten around to banning anyone for it, but I've never understood their ban system in the first place.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I wonder how much banning they'll do now that they're presumably done making content for it.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

eonblue174 posted:

Cabal is finicky enough I imagine I'll think it's garbage until Elotana posts a video of him destroying with it
:dukedog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRF76dt8Kuo

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Alteisen posted:

Wow that is some leap over a few minor comments.

It was a bit hyperbolic but I think nipping any ending discussion in the bud is a good idea. This isnt really the place for it.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

All I can think when the Biotic Focus overlay is up is "BLUE RAGE, BLUE RAGE".

EDIT:

UnknownMercenary posted:

I don't recommend Disruptor ammo, it ends up being redundant since the Falcon's rounds stagger nearly every time anyway. Cryo or Incendiary are the way to go.

EDIT2: If Drill Rounds worked on the Striker or Falcon... :getin:

Aqua_D fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 18, 2013

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

You're not taking disruptor for stagger, projectiles apply ammo powers 100% so you get a free tech burst on every hit.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

What build're you using there?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Zoran’s Sentinel Compendium
I finally got around to reworking this! Hooray!

The prototypical sentinel has a defensive power of some kind that confers damage reduction bonuses, so I’ll go over the mechanics of that first. They’re not as simple as you would expect.

Important information: damage reduction
You would expect that the damage reduction listed for your powers would work in the following way: if the sum of your damage reduction bonuses is D then all damage is multiplied by (1-D).

Unfortunately, the numbers lie to you—all damage is actually multiplied by (1-3D/4). That means damage reduction is only 75% as good as you think it is. On the flip side, it is possible under certain circumstances to become completely invincible by stacking enough damage reduction.

Fitness and Tech Armor overlap in that they both work to increase your survivability. Some classes have a better Fitness tree than others—most notably the batarians and turians—but for various reasons the builds in this guide still tend to favor armor powers over fitness. Shields can be replaced with cyclonic modulators but there’s no substitute for massive DR.

About this guide
I’ve tried to arrange this guide in approximate order of usefulness, listing classes from weakest to strongest. It is written with random Gold and Platinum matches in mind. On occasion, the builds I’ve put here reflect the fact that newer classes have obsoleted certain builds of older classes. For instance, there’s no reason to have a Turian Sentinel without Warp, because then the Turian Ghost does everything the sentinel does but better.

I also recognize that there are viable alternative builds for many of these classes, but I’m aiming for simplicity here so I’m only including ones that have worked best for me and take advantage of a class’s unique features when possible.

The best tip in the world
Abuse right-hand advantage. Instead of actually using the cover mechanic, peek out from the right side of cover so that you can shoot enemies but they can’t hit you. Getting into this habit will make the game much easier.

Weaponry and Gear
I’m not going to attempt to produce a full-blown weapon tier list right here, but I will point out some of the best guns to use for sentinels. None of the sentinel classes can really make good use of sniper rifles, so I’ll neglect those. If you have one of these guns at a high enough level to carry it without wrecking your cooldowns, you would do well to use it.

Assault Rifles
Cerberus Harrier (use Extended Mags!)

Heavy Pistols
Paladin
Talon

Shotguns
Reegar
Piranha
Crusader
Wraith
Raider

SMG
Hurricane (this gun is a good bet for any class)

Gear choices are mostly common sense: pick something that matches your powers, your guns, or your need for grenades or melee damage; failing that, take the Stronghold Package.

If you have the ability to carry one while maintaining a cooldown bonus of about 100% or more, you’ll almost always want to have an assault rifle or shotgun. The exception is when you really want to use the power amp attachment on a pistol or shotgun. However, most of these builds rely on weapon damage or combo damage, so they don’t benefit too much from that attachment.

Volus (link to Class Builder)
  • Decoy 6: Durability | Shock | Exploding Decoy
  • Combat Drone 6: Detonate | Shock | Chain Lightning
  • Shield Boost 6: Shields | Regeneration | Protection
  • Volus Training 5: Damage & Capacity | Power Damage
  • Fitness 3
Note: Don’t just spam Shield Boost. There’s an unfortunate bug that temporarily prevents your teammates from doing anything useful if they are reloading when you use Shield Boost.

The volus is a pure support character that’s good for controlling enemy aggro, but he’s pretty much bereft of killing power. Take the explosive/area damage options on his powers so that he can help quickly take down lower-level enemies. Use your cloak (light melee) liberally to get out of sticky situations and to help you stay with the team.

Apply Shield Boost every once in a while, particularly when you see your teammates get his with damage-over time attacks or when they ask you to do it.

Weaponry: Pistol or SMG with power amp. At least you’ll do some damage.
Equipment: Omni-Capacitors
Team Composition: Any. Hope they can dish out the DPS, because you won’t.

Batarian
  • Blade Armor 6: Durability | Recharge Speed | Durability
  • Shockwave 5: Force & Damage | Detonate
  • Submission Net 6: Radius | Detonate | Force & Damage
  • Batarian Enforcer 3
  • Fitness 6: Durability | Shield Recharge | Fitness Expert
Note: On PC, never take Radius on Shockwave.

The batarian’s power selection is, unfortunately, pretty bad. Shockwave is an underwhelming power despite its strong combo-detonation bonus; Submission Net is useful but finicky; and he’s outdone as a melee attacker by his vanguard cousin.

What we can do is take advantage of his good defenses: he has more leeway to invest in them than the other batarians do and he has some very nice shield recharge bonuses. The shield recharge bonus is extremely undervalued, because less downtime before recharging means more time firing your gun and using powers. Stacking all of the available ones reduces the shield recharge delay on Platinum from 4.5 seconds to 1.26, second only to the Geth Trooper for fastest possible in the game.

Employ Submission Net liberally; if you hit an unarmored target with it, the electric field will persist for a while even after the target dies, dealing good damage in a large area. Use Shockwave to detonate or on really weak mooks. Keep in mind that it works through walls.

Weaponry: ARs or shotguns.
Equipment: Stronghold package, shield power cells
Team Composition: Any, but Shockwave only shines in the company of other biotics with good priming powers.

Human
  • Tech Armor 6: Durability | Power Damage | Power Recharge
  • Warp 6: Detonate | Expose | Recharge Speed
  • Throw 6: Radius | Detonate | Force & Damage
  • Alliance Training 4: Damage & Capacity
  • Fitness 4
The human sentinel is pretty much the definition of boring but practical. She’s available even to new players and is one of the best classes for them to use, but she relies on combos to dish out the damage, while power creep has brought better and better power classes and has left the lowly human largely untouched.

Feed your enemies a steady diet of Warp followed up by Throw. That’s pretty much it!

Weaponry: Good guns with ~130% or higher recharge bonus
Equipment: Incendiary/warp ammo
Team Composition: Biotics

Krogan Warlord
  • Tech Armor 6: Durability | Melee Damage | Durability
  • Biotic Hammer 6: Damage & Force | Armor Damage | Number of Charges
  • Electrical Hammer 0
  • Krogan Warlord 6: Damage & Capacity | Power Damage | Shotguns
  • Warlord Rage 6: Melee Damage | Martial Artist | Pure Rage
The Warlord is by far the best melee sentinel, and he’s a lot of fun to use. I forgo Electrical Hammer not because I think it’s bad but because I think Biotic Hammer is better most of the time. The AOE effects on Electrical Hammer don’t benefit from things like the 50% bonus from a shotgun’s omni-blade, and the main concern for the Warlord is dealing enough damage to instantly kill Phantoms and bring Banshees out of teleporting mode.

To use this class well, you have to be familiar with sync-kill tells. Phantoms, Praetorians, Scions, and Atlases have to use one melee attack (but not necessarily hit anyone with it) right beforehand. Brutes will only sync kill after doing their close-range attacks, not their long charges. Banshees won’t sync kill if they’re in Warp-casting mode, which they are forced into if you do enough damage to them fast enough.

Against Collectors on Gold or higher, you’re pretty much hosed. Accept it and have fun.

Weaponry: Shotgun with omni-blade (this attachment is essential!)
Equipment: Melee amps, shield amps
Team Composition: You need team support so that you can detonate biotic and tech combos and kill the enemies before they can sync-kill you. Make friends with someone playing a fury, justicar, or the like. Snap Freezers also work well, and a Javelin user can save your rear end sometimes.Thanks Lynx

Vorcha
  • Bloodlust 6: Health Regeneration | Power Damage | Health Regeneration
  • Flamer 6: Reach | Damage | Shield Damage
  • Cluster Grenade 6: Radius | Damage Combo | Shrapnel
  • Vorcha Resilience 5: Damage & Capacity | Power Damage
  • Fitness 3
The vorcha sentinel has a great set of powers. Flamer does awesome damage over time and Cluster Grenades can clear out entire spawns. You can do two things with Flamer: either quickly turn it on and off to set enemies on fire and then detonate with cluster grenades for a fire explosion, or allow the flamethrower to go for several seconds and build up huge damage over time. Use your discretion. Note that with Damage Combo, Cluster Grenades do double (!) damage against biotically primed targets.

Don’t take your regenerating health for granted. You can still be killed, so do the prudent thing and abuse right-hand advantage whenever possible. Also, try to prioritize weak enemies so that you can get your Bloodlust stacks going.

Weaponry: SMG or pistol with power mod
Equipment: Power amp, grenade capacity
Team Composition: Any, hopefully without more than 1 other grenadier. Biotic primers help.

Krogan
  • Tech Armor 6: Durability | Power Damage | Durability
  • Incinerate 6: Radius | Burning Damage | Armor Damage
  • Lift Grenade 6: Damage| Max Grenads | Damage & Radius
  • Krogan Berserker 4: Damage & Capacity
  • Rage 4: Durability
I love using this guy because Lift Grenades are easy to use and they do stupendous amounts of damage. The playstyle here amounts to spam, spam, spam: cast Incinerate, throw Lift Grenades to kill things and maybe get a fire explosion, repeat.

Even though you’re a krogan, you shouldn’t go out of your way to get melee kills for rage. Rely on your powers and you won’t go wrong. With the right mods, even Incinerate can do 2356 damage to armor by itself. (About a third of that is over a span of three or eight seconds, but still!)

Weaponry: SMG or pistol with power mod. Take the Blood Pack weapons for flavor, or ARs/shotguns if you’re offended by the idea of your krogan using a hand cannon.
Equipment: Power amp, grenade capacity
Team Composition: Avoid having too many grenadiers.

Turian
  • Warp 5: Detonate | Expose
  • Overload 6: Chain Overload | Neural Shock | Shield Damage
  • Turian Veteran 6: Damage & Stability | Power Damage | Damage & Stability
  • Fitness 3
Time was that the turian sentinel was one of the best classes in the game. He had the best defensive power, the best biotic power, and the best tech power, with a kickass racial passive on top. Nowadays his passives are even better, and there are still a half-dozen awesome builds for this guy, but the turian ghost has stolen a lot of his mojo in terms of DPS and abuse of Overload. The build shown here is a very strong all-rounder, but I highly recommend that you take advantage of one of the turian sentinel’s best features: he can exploit the hell out of a bug that occurs when combining Warp and Incendiary Ammo.

Basically, the Expose evolution of Warp causes the damage-over-time ticks of Incendiary Ammo to grow astronomically. The Prothean Particle Rifle is the best gun to do this with because of its good damage and great fire rate (applying more incendiary DOT), and the turian sentinel is the best user of the gun because of his great defenses, access to Warp, and ability to still take care of shields and weak mooks with Overload. When you're facing bosses, all you have to do is this: apply Warp, fire particle rifle continuously until nearly dead, walk away while boss melts.

As precision has pointed out, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that when you're surrounded, you can detonate your Tech Armor.

Weaponry: Prothean Particle Rifle, otherwise your best AR or Hurricane
Equipment: Incendiary Ammo, AR amps, cyclonic modulator
Team Composition: If employing particle rifle, you want teammates who will deal with mooks while you clean up bosses.

N7 Paladin
  • Energy Drain 4: Radius
  • Incinerate 6: Radius | Burning Damage | Armor Damage
  • Snap Freeze 6: Reach | Cryo Explosion | Damage and Weakness
  • Alliance Training 6: Damage & Capacity | Power Damage | Weapon Damage
  • Shield Mastery 4: Durability
Note: Don’t take Freeze Combo in Incinerate because it won’t work with Snap Freeze, and don’t take Tech Combo on Snap Freeze because there’s a helpful bug that essentially gives it to you for free.

Meet the best Engineer in the game! Once Bioware freed cryo and fire explosions, the Paladin became absurdly good. His powers don’t do a whole lot of damage by themselves, but they all combo into each other on every enemy in the game (except Energy Drain, which won’t give you combos on unshielded, barrierless organics).

Use Snap Freeze (through walls!), cast Incinerate, and repeat, throwing in an Energy Drain whenever your shields get low.

I should mention that I don't take Shield Mastery to 6 because Cryo Shield doesn't do anything (except for the cool perk of being able to freeze Phantoms) and Fire Shield is both boring and not too powerful. With this build I can take heavier weapons, which are more useful in general.

Weaponry: Your highest-DPS guns with better than ~150% cooldown bonus
Equipment: Geth Scanner
Team Composition: Tech. Tech tech tech.

Asari Valkyrie
  • Annihilation Field 6: Impact Radius | Damage Taken | Drain
  • Asari Valkyrie 4: Damage & Capacity
  • Fitness 4: Durability
Finally we reach my favorite Sentinel, who rolls great survivability, maneuverability, combo potential, and raw DPS into one awesome package. Annihilation Field and Warp both debuff the enemy, boosting your own damage and that of your teammates. Annihilation Field also instantly restores your shields whenever damage is dealt to enemy shields or barriers within its radius—even if you didn’t deal that damage yourself.

Her powers alone would make the Valkyrie reasonably good, but she is also the best abuser of Warp Ammo in the game thanks to her dual biotic debuff powers. Warp ammo has its own damage boosted when the target is biotically primed. At level IV, this bonus doubles the ammo damage, so that instead of doing 60% extra to health, armor, and barriers, the ammo deals +120% damage. Alas, there’s still no extra damage against shields, but that’s not a huge problem because Annihilation Field lets you benefit from enemy shields anyway.

Weaponry: Piranha, or your best lightweight shotgun. Reegar is discouraged because it limits mobility.
Equipment: Warp ammo, cyclonic modulator, shotgun amps
Team Composition: Anyone, but biotics or DPS classes work well with you. Hosting makes Annihilation Field’s Drain more reliable.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 24, 2013

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

DerLeo posted:

What build're you using there?
It's in my megapost, which I'm slooowly updating.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Thanks Elotana!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You forgot to say that TurSent should Always Be Detonating Tech Armor when surrounded by mooks.

(Actually I respecced mine for explosion damage and it actually is pretty good on Gold).

And what about Suicide Bomber Asari? That's what I always do. Detonate, detonate, detonate. It helps that turning on Tech Armor doesn't cause a cooldown.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Suicide bomber is fun, but I'd consider that a gimmick build.

Taibhse
Apr 30, 2005
I loathe Rio plat games, every other map is like 20ish minutes a game. Rio is always 30 and tedious. I wish there was a skip rio filter when searching for games.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Gotta disagree with that Paladin build, specifically the ED part. A level 6 ED detonating a level 6 Snap Freeze will flat-out kill Nemeses and Combat Engineers on Gold, so taking it to 6 is a lot more helpful than the mediocre gains in power and cooldown from levels 5&6 of the passive, plus you can get a lot more survivability from them. I've also found the radius evolution to be really underwhelming, because you don't get much additional distance out of it and the power can only hit up to two targets anyway.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

quote:

Even though you’re a krogan, you shouldn’t go out of your way to get melee kills for rage. Rely on your powers and you won’t go wrong. With the right mods, even Incinerate can do 2356 damage to armor by itself. (About a third of that is over a span of three or eight seconds, but still!)
Counterpoint 1: With the right mods a Krogan Sentinel's heavy melee can do 3000+ damage to armor and also 4000+ damage to everything else

Counterpoint 2:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Power usage with the Krogan Sentinel has always felt pretty underwhelming to me. Incinerate isn't a bad power, but lift grenades only detonating on health makes the combination bad. It feels like pre-unlocked explosions QME, but worse.

Not to say that it doesn't work, but I have way more fun with the "give no fucks about weight backhand everything" build.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Gotta disagree with that Paladin build, specifically the ED part. A level 6 ED detonating a level 6 Snap Freeze will flat-out kill Nemeses and Combat Engineers on Gold, so taking it to 6 is a lot more helpful than the mediocre gains in power and cooldown from levels 5&6 of the passive, plus you can get a lot more survivability from them. I've also found the radius evolution to be really underwhelming, because you don't get much additional distance out of it and the power can only hit up to two targets anyway.

This is all correct. If you're going to skimp on ED then you're not worried about maximizing effectiveness and you should put into a fire shield for fun point blank explosions. Melee, snap freeze, melee, incinerate, etc. You owe it to yourself to do this in the Rio/Platinum box of shame at least once.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Power usage with the Krogan Sentinel has always felt pretty underwhelming to me. Incinerate isn't a bad power, but lift grenades only detonating on health makes the combination bad. It feels like pre-unlocked explosions QME, but worse.

Not to say that it doesn't work, but I have way more fun with the "give no fucks about weight backhand everything" build.

This is also correct, except the point of lift grenades is their very high damage, not the lift effect. But they're 40% better on the Asari vanguard, so yeah.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Taibhse posted:

I loathe Rio plat games, every other map is like 20ish minutes a game. Rio is always 30 and tedious. I wish there was a skip rio filter when searching for games.

Rio Plat can take upwards of 40 if you get across-the-map delivery missions.

Meanwhile I can do Plat/Giant with semi-competent pubbies in 30 minutes max.

God I hate Rio so much.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The only thing wrong with that krogan is that he wouldn't be screaming and laughing the whole time.

Also I had a really strange sound glitch while using the Raptor for challenge points (it was actually a pretty decent gun). I'd have a weird static-y sound for the entire match which would go away once I swapped it for another weapon.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The Slithery D posted:

This is also correct, except the point of lift grenades is their very high damage, not the lift effect. But they're 40% better on the Asari vanguard, so yeah.

Well, I meant they also can't detonate fire explosions with Incinerate unless the target is health only, since we're talking about the Krogan Sentinel.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Zoran posted:

Asari Valkyrie
  • Annihilation Field 6: Impact Radius | Damage Taken | Drain
  • Asari Valkyrie 4: Damage & Capacity
  • Fitness 4: Durability
Finally we reach my favorite Sentinel, who rolls great survivability, maneuverability, combo potential, and raw DPS into one awesome package. Annihilation Field and Warp both debuff the enemy, boosting your own damage and that of your teammates. Annihilation Field also instantly restores your shields whenever damage is dealt to enemy shields or barriers within its radius—even if you didn’t deal that damage yourself.

Her powers alone would make the Valkyrie reasonably good, but she is also the best abuser of Warp Ammo in the game thanks to her dual biotic debuff powers. Warp ammo has its own damage boosted when the target is biotically primed. At level IV, this bonus doubles the ammo damage, so that instead of doing 60% extra to health, armor, and barriers, the ammo deals +120% damage. Alas, there’s still no extra damage against shields, but that’s not a huge problem because Annihilation Field lets you benefit from enemy shields anyway.

Weaponry: Piranha, or your best lightweight shotgun. Reegar is discouraged because it limits mobility.
Equipment: Warp ammo, cyclonic modulator, shotgun amps
Team Composition: Anyone, but biotics or DPS classes work well with you. Hosting makes Annihilation Field’s Drain more reliable.

Any reason to go recharge speed on Warp instead of Pierce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

With max power damage the Asari Vanguard does 8.6% more damage with Lift Grenades, not 40%.

The goal isn't really to get fire explosions with Incinerate+Lift Grenades, just to do fucktons of damage and prime or detonate combos for your teammates.

Pierce on Warp is a pretty weak evolution and I need the recharge speed to make up for not taking it on Tech Armor.

• Locked thread