Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MRC48B posted:

:stare: context please?

OPSEC, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TCD posted:

He looks like :smug: but with glasses

Someone really needs to make a Mike Vining Smilie.

In the top left...Charles Bronson?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

A little birdy told me this is actually Belgian SF undercover

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

MRC48B posted:

It's what we call "A good day."

Ice Cube rapped about it once.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

It's a good day when your CIWS goes "gently caress you dad you can't tell me what to do!"

Of all of the terrible things that machine could do, I've never seen anything crazy happen with it other than some jackass deciding he wanted to drill through a 20 mm round and promptly expending it through his foot.*

e:*Happened right before I checked on board, was not actually in the room when this happened.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MRC48B posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowhere_Man_%28TV_series%29

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Thanks for the serious answer. I have never seen or heard of that show.

Makes sense it was in the 90s though. People really went apeshit back then over the whole meninblack government conspiracy thing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You're the guy that yells out how magic tricks work while they're being performed.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

Godholio posted:

You're the guy that yells out how magic tricks work while they're being performed.

Some of us like to be informed :)

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Couple pictures of Delta Force guys right before Operation Acid Gambit, during the US Invasion of Panama in 1989:

Oldschool SF Bestschool SF

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Wild weasel jet... gets radars to track it so other planes can blow them up!

"You want me to fly in the back of a little tiny fighter aircraft with a crazy fighter pilot who thinks he's invincible, home in on a SAM site in North Vietnam, and shoot it before it shoots me, you gotta be shittin' me!"

Fallows fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 22, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

Come on now, I let them stew a lil'

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Fallows posted:

Wild weasel jet... gets radars to track it so other planes can blow them up!

"You want me to fly in the back of a little tiny fighter aircraft with a crazy fighter pilot who thinks he's invincible, home in on a SAM site in North Vietnam, and shoot it before it shoots me, you gotta be shittin' me!"

Pretty sure that aircraft was not performing as Wild Weasel in Vietnam.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I believe the aircraft you are looking for is this:

But if F-16s are more your bag, then try F-16CJ:

Or, you can fly Navy and do tactical electronic warfare the way it was meant to be done:

I've got a huge soft spot for electronic warfare aircraft. My dad worked the back seat in both the Prowler and the Whale. The EA-3 is an often forgotten aircraft. It wasn't fast, efficient, or good looking, but dammit it existed:

Red Crown fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 23, 2013

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
What's that thing on the centerline hardpoint on the F-16CJ and why is that a single seater and not a two-seater?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Mortabis posted:

What's that thing on the centerline hardpoint on the F-16CJ and why is that a single seater and not a two-seater?

Sniper XR/LANTIRN/LITENING pod. Useful for observation and locking on to laser designators.

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 23, 2013

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Mortabis posted:

Because Air Force, basically. The USAF had absolutely no desire to replace the F-4G and was content to let the Navy handle SEAD and other tactical electronic warfare missions for the most part. The USAF has a disdain for two seat fighter aircraft, and has avoided making them whenever possible. Rather than contract a new airframe for SEAD or buy EA-6Bs, the USAF decided to add some wiring and pods to F-16C. As far as I know, since the F-16CJ has no ECMO it isn't useful for much more than straight up SEAD, it lacks much of the versatility of EA-18G/EA-6B.

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

everyone is fabulous always
hey look at all those words

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Found an old AirForce® recruiting video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0YSaEOiUG8&t=610s

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Thump! posted:

Couple pictures of Delta Force guys right before Operation Acid Gambit, during the US Invasion of Panama in 1989:

Oldschool SF Bestschool SF

I lived at Fort Sherman, Panama during Operation Just Cause. My dad was the operations officer of the Jungle Warfare Training Center. Most of the instructors were either SF or Rangers. Here's a excerpt from a website about the JWTC:

quote:

The unit that operated the Jungle Operations Training Center was redesignated the Jungle Operations Training Battalion (JOTB) during the invasion of Panama in December 1989. The battalion was notified of possible contingency operations as tensions between the American and Panamanian governments increased, and prepared and trained accordingly. The JOTB was augmented with additional combat and combat support assets and as JUST CAUSE began, was designated Task Force Sherman. The task force served with the 3rd Brigade, 7th Infantry Division (Light) as part of Task Force Atlantic.

Task Force Sherman successfully maintained the security and defense of Fort Sherman and the Gatun Locks complex, including numerous key communications and transportation facilities, the Gatun Locks, dam, spillway bridge, and hydroelectric plant. The Task Force also cleared and 27 towns and villages, and 140 kilometers of coastline. They conducted 19 air assaults and Civilian Military Operations in four villages. Patrols from Task Force Sherman eliminated all Hunter Platoons south of the Rio Chagres, captured numerous prisoners of war, weapons, and large amounts of ammunition and equipment. They cleared the town of Portobello, Isla Grande and other villages located north of Colon during a joint operation with Navy SEALs and Special Operations Aviation. Patrols continued until 12 January 1990, when Task Force Sherman became the reserve for Task Force Atlantic. The Jungle Operations Training Battalion was awarded a battle streamer for its actions during Operation JUST CAUSE, making it the only TDA unit in the U.S. Army to receive this distinction.

You got one of these for finishing the course.

And here's what Fort Sherman looks like today over a decade after being transferred back to the Panamanians.

I lived in a house just like one of these while my dad was stationed there.

Any goons that were in the military during the 90's attend Jungle School?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

There are some pro rear end mustaches in this pic.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
When we pulled into Panama in '05-ish they took us to some old US Army base that looked an awful lot like that one. The Panamanians were desperate for the Americans to come back.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Rude. posted:

Sniper XR/LANTIRN/LITENING pod. Useful for observation and locking on to laser designators.

No it's not it's a jammer. Targeting pod for the HARMs is the smaller one on the right side of the intake (HTS pod).

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

compressioncut posted:

No it's not it's a jammer. Targeting pod for the HARMs is the smaller one on the right side of the intake (HTS pod).

What kind of jammer? I want to look for this on the F/A-18s I'm going to be seeing.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

compressioncut posted:

This man is correct.

The centerline hardpoint is an ALQ-184 ECM pod.

The intake mounted pod is a pod associated with the HARM Targeting System (hence, HTS). The HARM being the big gently caress-off missiles between the AIM-9's and the external fuel tanks.

I used to put those pods up and take them down every day. Neither of the F-16s on this page have a normal targeting pod installed. And as for why it's not a two-seater? Two-seaters are trainers.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 23, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Red Crown posted:

Because Air Force, basically. The USAF had absolutely no desire to replace the F-4G and was content to let the Navy handle SEAD and other tactical electronic warfare missions for the most part. The USAF has a disdain for two seat fighter aircraft, and has avoided making them whenever possible. Rather than contract a new airframe for SEAD or buy EA-6Bs, the USAF decided to add some wiring and pods to F-16C. As far as I know, since the F-16CJ has no ECMO it isn't useful for much more than straight up SEAD, it lacks much of the versatility of EA-18G/EA-6B.

If you're saying it's not much more useful in the EA realm than for SEAD, yeah that's pretty accurate. But most or all of ACC's F-16s are CJ/CG (ie, SEAD capable) while maintaining their primary multirole missions. It's probably the only current example of a jack of all trades aircraft that actually works reasonably well. The F-16s will be used for SEAD on smaller missions while the Growlers are saved for bigger/more challenging stuff when PET shots aren't gonna cut it...and the F-16s will probably be carrying bombs on those missions.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

gfanikf posted:

One more of Mike...because its even better.

Mike gets his Bronze Star in 1971.

Dude looks like he enlisted when he was still 14-15 (like some guys did back in WW2 when it was harder to catch) but no one caught on. Jesus.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Handsome Ralph posted:

Dude looks like he enlisted when he was still 14-15 (like some guys did back in WW2 when it was harder to catch) but no one caught on. Jesus.

I've heard of this happening, and know about a few cases, but I'd love it if I could find some actual numbers on how many teenagers got into the military this way. Man high school/working on a farm blows, I'm gonna kill me some krauts.

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...
Spot the Vining.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Easy, far right.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Uh y'all talking about Wild Weasels without posting any -G model Thuds are wrong, wrong, wrong:

Some bad rear end mother fuckers here:

Also Spark Varks, thanks Air Force for prematurely retiring the one thing in the fleet that was completely irreplaceable (click for huge with most of these):

And yeah, like Godholio said Vipers aren't intended to be full blown SEAD/DEAD aircraft like the Prowler/Growler (and they certainly have a basically nonexistent jamming capability) because SEAD/DEAD is just an additional mission for certain units that fly those models, not their be all end all like the Prolwer/Growler. The last dedicated SEAD aircraft in the USAF inventory was the EF-111 F-4G, whoops brain farted that the Spark Vark couldn't carry HARMs, although it was the last dedicated EW jamming aircraft.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 23, 2013

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

nullandvoid posted:

Spot the Vining.

Someone should have told him he probably didn't have to wear those frames.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The modern selection of frames is a pretty recent thing.

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008
If I were a loving Delta operator I drat sure would wear BCGs.

False Flag Rape
Aug 22, 2013

by Lowtax

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

JSARSOM posted:

If I were a loving Delta operator I drat sure would wear BCGs.

I am no Delta, but I wear my BCGs when I workout or underway.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Is he using his rifle as an antenna?

edit: And a SKILCRAFT pen. Fuckin' awesome. Wanna talk on dat satphone.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Nope, you're just getting old. 18 year olds look younger every drat day.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

iyaayas01 posted:

And yeah, like Godholio said Vipers aren't intended to be full blown SEAD/DEAD aircraft like the Prowler/Growler (and they certainly have a basically nonexistent jamming capability) because SEAD/DEAD is just an additional mission for certain units that fly those models, not their be all end all like the Prolwer/Growler. The last dedicated SEAD aircraft in the USAF inventory was the EF-111 F-4G, whoops brain farted that the Spark Vark couldn't carry HARMs, although it was the last dedicated EW jamming aircraft.

Have there been any proposed replacements for the EF-111?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
On the subject of special forces, here is a documentary on the selection course for the Australian SAS. Speaking as a civilian, it looks incredibly loving brutal.

edit: full thing here.

Hydrolith fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 24, 2013

• Locked thread