Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

FCKGW posted:

Professor Messer’s

Crap, I ordered the wrong videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I passed the JNCIA-Juno’s exam today if anyone has any questions about it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Crap, I ordered the wrong videos.

Now you're ready for your 2007 Word MOS exam

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I recently was laid off from a company I’ve been with since 2005. I’ve started looking for work but realizing how little I know. I seem to line up with level 2/3 desktop support from most descriptions I’ve seen, but I’m looking to move up. Unfortunately, I’m not sure where to start. I spent my career working w individual people and never progressed much past desktop support. I was hoping to get into corporate IT even as help desk and move up, but I’m beginning to understand I’m in dire need of certification to move up.

I’m not sure where to start and the OP is pretty old. From what I’ve seen in the last few pages, I’d be best served looking into NET+ and then move onto CCNA for a general start to things. Where do I start certification-wise? What online training sites are reputable?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Boywhiz88 posted:

I recently was laid off from a company I’ve been with since 2005. I’ve started looking for work but realizing how little I know. I seem to line up with level 2/3 desktop support from most descriptions I’ve seen, but I’m looking to move up. Unfortunately, I’m not sure where to start. I spent my career working w individual people and never progressed much past desktop support. I was hoping to get into corporate IT even as help desk and move up, but I’m beginning to understand I’m in dire need of certification to move up.

I’m not sure where to start and the OP is pretty old. From what I’ve seen in the last few pages, I’d be best served looking into NET+ and then move onto CCNA for a general start to things. Where do I start certification-wise? What online training sites are reputable?

My first question would be, what do you enjoy doing? Or do you not know yet?

NET+ is an ok intro to networking, ICND1 would be better served if you're sure you want to dive into networking (then ICND2 gets you the CCNA)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

MF_James posted:

NET+ is an ok intro to networking, ICND1 would be better served if you're sure you want to dive into networking (then ICND2 gets you the CCNA)

Yeah if you're going to get the CCNA anyway you might as well do ICND1 and forget N+. N+ covers the same ground and isn't as respected as an ICND1.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

MF_James posted:

I really don’t know yet. I like fixing things that are broken. I enjoy working w people. I enjoy planning, and putting together projects (baking, LEGOs, assembling computers, etc). I’m just so ignorant of the various systems roles and functions. I have a buddy who’s pretty deep in network administration that I’m planning on reaching out to, so I can better understand what he does and what it took to get there.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

skooma512 posted:

Yeah if you're going to get the CCNA anyway you might as well do ICND1 and forget N+. N+ covers the same ground and isn't as respected as an ICND1.

I take it that CompTIA certs aren't very much respected generally speaking? Because i just finished studying studying for the discount Cloud+ guinea pig exam tomorrow, and I really don't feel like I leaned anything useful from the experience.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
N+ is a joke compared to ICND1, and ICND1 is incredibly approachable. There are high school classes locally that end with the ICND1, so I couldn't imagine trying to leverage any networking status below CCENT.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Sec+ is okay, mostly. But in reality, the only reason to go for a CompTIA test is if you are an entry level person with zero experience or if your job requires it.

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

Peachfart posted:

Sec+ is okay, mostly. But in reality, the only reason to go for a CompTIA test is if you are an entry level person with zero experience or if your job requires it.

I am currently in the process of taking Sec+ and im only doing it to get my Cert-ball rolling. It feels like if you finally get a cert which takes maintaining you are driven to take more advanced certs, which furthers your growth and value.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, CompTIA exams have a purpose they serve very well: when you are fresh out of school or making a career change, even an A+ certification will put you leaps and bounds above similar candidates. The Sec+ is useful for getting into government positions, so it has a use.

If you have already been doing tier 2/3 desktop support, N+ is fine to get real quick and put on your resume while you work toward the CCNA. You have to cover basically everything on the N+ for the CCNA part 1 anyway. You should immediately start working toward a higher cert tho

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
CompTIA tells your prospective employer you have a baseline/general knowledge or you know where the test dumps are.

Don't underestimate them though. They make up for their newbie reputation by being deliberately obtuse in content and questions. You have to put in the time preparing for them. I probably spent 6 months in casual prep and 1 month hardcore and barely passed my Sec+.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
It also shows you're willing and able to learn new poo poo in IT. You'd be surprised how many people think they can get by on what they know and never develop methods to learn new things, and they generally make for the worst employees.

Linux+ doesn't show that you know Linux. It shows that you have the capacity to study and learn something complex, and apply that knowledge in a pressure situation.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

If you like fixing stuff and building stuff than taking a look at RHCSA is worth it too. It’ll get you a job pretty quickly and will allow you to do a lot of on the job training for RHCE. At that point you’ll make decent money.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I've been working as T1 Help Desk for the better part of the past 3 years, would I be better off getting the N+ or the CCNA? I'm assuming A+ wouldn't be a good fit for me.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

BigDave posted:

I've been working as T1 Help Desk for the better part of the past 3 years, would I be better off getting the N+ or the CCNA? I'm assuming A+ wouldn't be a good fit for me.

Absolutely no A+. Even N+ should be below your level if your job gives you freedom to troubleshoot. If they demand network related stuff get escalated away from you it might help understand some issues better.

I'd take a look at N+ material and if it looks easy, skip it for ccna. If it looks foreign, pick up the cert for a quick job boost before you go for ccna.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I’m studying for Net+ right now and there’s a paragraph on War Chalking, where hackers leave hobo code to designate open access points

Most of the material is good but there’s a few odd standouts lol

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

FCKGW posted:

I’m studying for Net+ right now and there’s a paragraph on War Chalking, where hackers leave hobo code to designate open access points

Most of the material is good but there’s a few odd standouts lol

CompTIA is obsessed with dumb crap like that, it infects all of their tests.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Peachfart posted:

CompTIA is obsessed with dumb crap like that, it infects all of their tests.

Phishing, smishing, vishing, mishing, what other forms of 'phishing + communications technology' are on the new Sec+?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Grassy Knowles posted:

Phishing, smishing, vishing, mishing, what other forms of 'phishing + communications technology' are on the new Sec+?

Are these methods used to gain access to company information, or deviant sex acts?

Whitefishing, where hackers get access to your network by sending a racist email chain to angry white men at your company.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Mantrap gets a lot of attention both on the Sec+ and in BSDM forums.

CompTIA recommends you not write your safe word on a sticky note under your keyboard.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

Mantrap gets a lot of attention both on the Sec+ and in BSDM forums.

CompTIA recommends you not write your safe word on a sticky note under your keyboard.

Use a safe word manager like KeepAss

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I've been working in Desktop Support for 2 years now, have 3 years as a Dell hardware contractor, and have been the go to person for a few years on tech issues for friends/family. No formal education or certs but I'm looking to change that.

I was going to go to WGU for the Network+Security BS but I'm not sure if I am ready to commit "4 years" of school work as I haven't taken any classes in nearly 5. I'm thinking the A+ and N+ are out as my experience trumps that now. I'm not sure if I want to do Network Admin or Sec, but I feel like that's the best place for me to go to get a decent career.

My local community college offers certificates (30 credits), diplomas (58 credits), and AAS degrees (72 credits) depending on what you're looking for. I'm assuming with my years of experience that even going with a certificate wouldn't hurt and would be a good primer to get back into studying without over doing it.

Would this be an okay option? Or would just going for the CCNA by doing the ICND exams be a better resume booster? Are there any relevant Microsoft or higher-tier CompTIA certs that'd benefit me too?

Edit: A coworker thought that the Net+ might not be a bad starting point.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 26, 2017

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

cage-free egghead posted:

I've been working in Desktop Support for 2 years now, have 3 years as a Dell hardware contractor, and have been the go to person for a few years on tech issues for friends/family. No formal education or certs but I'm looking to change that.

I was going to go to WGU for the Network+Security BS but I'm not sure if I am ready to commit "4 years" of school work as I haven't taken any classes in nearly 5. I'm thinking the A+ and N+ are out as my experience trumps that now. I'm not sure if I want to do Network Admin or Sec, but I feel like that's the best place for me to go to get a decent career.

My local community college offers certificates (30 credits), diplomas (58 credits), and AAS degrees (72 credits) depending on what you're looking for. I'm assuming with my years of experience that even going with a certificate wouldn't hurt and would be a good primer to get back into studying without over doing it.

Would this be an okay option? Or would just going for the CCNA by doing the ICND exams be a better resume booster? Are there any relevant Microsoft or higher-tier CompTIA certs that'd benefit me too?

Edit: A coworker thought that the Net+ might not be a bad starting point.

CCNA classes. I was self taught for much of my networking experience also, and taking the Cisco curriculum at my local community college filled in the gaps and taught me quite a lot. And a CCNA is a great starting point for both Network Administrators and Security.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Peachfart posted:

CCNA classes. I was self taught for much of my networking experience also, and taking the Cisco curriculum at my local community college filled in the gaps and taught me quite a lot. And a CCNA is a great starting point for both Network Administrators and Security.

I second this, although they might be able to eke it out on their own with a CCNA lab and the 31 days book. Even with the classes, I'd still recommend those supplemental purchases if the dosh is available.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Thanks for the replies. My network experience is very small now. Have never touched any of our company's equipment, did barely anything with the software side. Mostly just remote stuff within my company's network in Windows. I looked at the local college but it looks like they took out the CCNA stuff specifically and moved down to general network admin and prep for CCENT.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Networking is always one of those things that goes underappreciated until things actually break; then holy poo poo are people happy you know what you're doing.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I took the beta cloud+ exam earlier this week, and holy gently caress that was godawful. The official preparation book is utterly worthless and had absolutely nothing to do with the obtuse content on the exam, and every question was a dense or nonsensical troubleshooting prompt. The study material was light to the point of being utterly useless, and was of almost negative value on the exam.

I didn't figure it'd be a worthwhile cert anyways, but I figured hey fifty bucks would get me off my rear end and studying for new certs again. But after that experience, I really wish I hadn't wasted my time with it. I learned nothing of value from the official cert study guide, and the test had nothing to do with the study materials and the questions were stupidly obtuse.

Worst part is, I won't find out how I did for another few months :argh:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

I took the beta cloud+ exam earlier this week, and holy gently caress that was godawful. The official preparation book is utterly worthless and had absolutely nothing to do with the obtuse content on the exam, and every question was a dense or nonsensical troubleshooting prompt. The study material was light to the point of being utterly useless, and was of almost negative value on the exam.

I didn't figure it'd be a worthwhile cert anyways, but I figured hey fifty bucks would get me off my rear end and studying for new certs again. But after that experience, I really wish I hadn't wasted my time with it. I learned nothing of value from the official cert study guide, and the test had nothing to do with the study materials and the questions were stupidly obtuse.

Worst part is, I won't find out how I did for another few months :argh:

Did you get the question on warclouding?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Warballooning is the act of using a hot air balloon to attack your company's cloud

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Networking is always one of those things that goes underappreciated until things actually break; then holy poo poo are people happy you know what you're doing.

And there are so many people in various levels of IT (including networking) that really have no loving clue what they're doing.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Hi thread, I just got my CCNA today after years of informal self-taught router diddling! Cisco sent me an email saying they'll mail me a physical certificate in 6-8 weeks and everything. :feelsgood:

A week from Friday I sit for the RHCSA.

Hopefully those credentials will rustle some hiring manager's jimmies enough to want to talk to me.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Kashuno posted:

Warballooning is the act of using a hot air balloon to attack your company's cloud

Warskating is a primarily Canadian concern, United States residents should look at "watering hole attack"

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
My company sent out an alert email this week:

quote:

ALERT: A new scam is targeting employees with text messages

$COMPANY employees are often targeted by phishing — malicious email-based scamming. But recently, hackers are targeting $COMPANY employees by ”smishing” — phishing via text message.

These smishing attempts seek to trick employees into logging into fake $COMPANY websites for employee review or personal password resets.

SMISHING IS REAL!

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Yeah there was a pretty big campaign targeting bank customers a couple weeks ago too.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Isn't phishing by any means still phishing?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This is how we know you're not cut out for a security gig. When you have the chance to give something a really loving dumb cooler name, you take that shot every single time.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Mishing is phishing by mail
Smishing is by sms
Vishing is by video chat
Tishing is by telegram
Tinshing is by tin cans on string
You get the idea, and half of those are actually on the sec+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Vishing is voice phishing, not video.

Most of these are just called 'social engineering' these days because the real attack threats combine multiple phishing methods to build a realistic rapport.