Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Agent Carter didn't really do it for me, but I was excited when Royo showed up. And then promptly disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Royo had this fantastic role on Fringe in season 2 I think, in an alternate universe, where he played the nicest NYC cabbie ever - but maybe cabbies in the alternate universe are just nicer. But anyway, I could have sworn the writers were making a "The Wire" joke/reference, because they didn't have time to give Royo's character much background, but he does have a brief monologue where he talks about how he was in a bad place a while back and only got his life together because of real help/support from other people, which is his justification for helping Olivia. And I always liked to think that Royo's character was Alternate-universe Bubs, who maybe did a little better for himself and got clean with a wife and kid.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I can't tell if you guys are kidding around about the HD remake. Did they gently caress up some shots by zooming in too much or is the HD worth it?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
General consensus is that some shots look weird without the original framing but the majority of it is fine. The HD is also really good.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Jose Oquendo posted:

The only thing funnier than Davis' 'sheeeeeit' is when Carcetti's aide, Norman Wilson does an impression of it.

Honorable mention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN5eYFH8HZ8

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Jimmy crashing his car is the funniest scene.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Looks like rewatch 4 begins tonight. Goodbye job hunting for the next 60 hours + minimum amount of sleep.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Jimmy crashing his car is the funniest scene.

A shitbox teal Cavalier, intentionally rammed into a pillar of cement twice, and it's still drivable and continues to show up scene after scene. I don't understand why that car had to live to see another day but Nick Sobotka's badass post-apocalyptic LeSabre doesn't start one morning and promptly gets replaced with a bro truck. Season 2's most heartbreaking tragedy right there.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
the cavalier is really mcnulty personified, though.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

NOTinuyasha posted:

A shitbox teal Cavalier, intentionally rammed into a pillar of cement twice, and it's still drivable and continues to show up scene after scene. I don't understand why that car had to live to see another day but Nick Sobotka's badass post-apocalyptic LeSabre doesn't start one morning and promptly gets replaced with a bro truck. Season 2's most heartbreaking tragedy right there.

Probably because Nick Sobotka is pretty bro-ey, especially once he gets some money.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

juche mane posted:

the cavalier is really mcnulty personified, though.

speaking of mcnulty personified, the scene in season 5 where the FBI does a profile on the fake serial killer and basically nails every detail of mcnulty's life is sheer genius.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

NOTinuyasha posted:

"You should go out and spend some of the money on something you can touch: a new car, a new coat. It's why we get up in the morning, right?"

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Just got to season 5 on my rewatch, and I did the same thing I do every time I rewatch...everything's fine and good, I'm enjoying it, and then it cuts to the reporters outside smoking "Oh yeah, the newspaper...gently caress." I really hate everyone involved in the newspaper. Maybe it's because of the lack of characterization (less episodes, less screen time compared to police/schools), but I hate all newspaper scenes, I hate the lingo, hate the characters, hate everything about it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I need budget lines.

To evacuate a person is to give them an enema.

Their lingo and dialogue is kind of cool even if the characters aren't.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm a big Homicide fan so I was just happy to have a storyline featuring Clark Johnson.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Cromulent posted:

Just got to season 5 on my rewatch, and I did the same thing I do every time I rewatch...everything's fine and good, I'm enjoying it, and then it cuts to the reporters outside smoking "Oh yeah, the newspaper...gently caress." I really hate everyone involved in the newspaper. Maybe it's because of the lack of characterization (less episodes, less screen time compared to police/schools), but I hate all newspaper scenes, I hate the lingo, hate the characters, hate everything about it.
I skipped through a lot of Carcetti stuff about midway through when he showed up. I kept waiting for something interesting but nope its all boring.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Cage posted:

I skipped through a lot of Carcetti stuff about midway through when he showed up. I kept waiting for something interesting but nope its all boring.

I love the scene of Norman dying laughing at the serial killer being fake but that's about it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Spoilers Below posted:

"You should go out and spend some of the money on something you can touch: a new car, a new coat. It's why we get up in the morning, right?"

And of course, these are all things that the Greek himself would never do.

Edit: initially I remembered this as being something he said to Nick, but now that I think about it, it was to Frank, wasn't it? That was a mistake, Frank had very misguided reasons for doing what he did, but none of it was for his own personal gain.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 8, 2015

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The Greek and his crew totally misread Frank but it's Frank who ends up paying for it. Such is the game. The king stay the king.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

The Greek and his crew totally misread Frank but it's Frank who ends up paying for it. Such is the game. The king stay the king.

One thing in my rewatch I never remembered was the report says he tried to fight back. That's Frank, fighting to the end against something he can't defeat. :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LordPants posted:

One thing in my rewatch I never remembered was the report says he tried to fight back. That's Frank, fighting to the end against something he can't defeat. :smith:

Goddammit :qq:

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Cage posted:

Don't skip scenes. Carcetti eventually becomes interesting, and his story is critical to the overall narrative. He's one of the hardest characters to break down and fully understand - but he's a politician, that's how they do.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

NOTinuyasha posted:

Don't skip scenes. Carcetti eventually becomes interesting, and his story is critical to the overall narrative. He's one of the hardest characters to break down and fully understand - but he's a politician, that's how they do.

Oh I thought he just meant in season 5, definitely pay attention to Carcetti overall.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I wanted to check out the HD remaster without re-watching the entire series as I just did a re-watch this past summer and felt it was all still too fresh..... So I picked season 2 episode 11"bad dreams" as my episode to see the HD. What a mistake, that episode is just too good. I'm having a really hard time not starting into my 2nd re-watch right now.

Had to youtube the "greek song" and listen to it about 10 times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DozVdtbMuM8

My first time through season 2 was least favorite, but after my first re-watch it is by far my favorite.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The HD remake is good largely because they initially shot on 35mm so there's very few weird upscaling issues, but that also takes away from the documentary aspect since with the higher resolution and widescreen it looks like film now.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005

That DICK! posted:

does anyone have a link to the really long "sheeeeeeeeeeeit"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrfCixsd2N8

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I would kill to get an instrumental version of the music they used in the Season 2 trailer and the weekly sneak previews. It always got me so loving pumped for the show.

http://youtu.be/Hv3jf9DHFzk

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

Dead Snoopy posted:

I would kill to get an instrumental version of the music they used in the Season 2 trailer and the weekly sneak previews. It always got me so loving pumped for the show.

http://youtu.be/Hv3jf9DHFzk

:lol: Drunk Bunk saying "Where Is The Motherfuckin Love" is played so menacingly in the trailer. Reminds me of the old Sopranos promos where they'd show Tony getting furious at something and you'd think poo poo was going down in the next episode, only to find out that he's just trying to open a jar of pickles or something.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
One thing I never got (working through S3 with the HD release) is how pissed String is for being taken for a quarter mil ride by Clay Davis. For an organization who banked a good 60 a day in season one and chuckle at 150 in their safe getting took at season end to one that gets supremely mad to the point of assassination for less than a weeks work (at the time when the towers were running full bore) is a bit weird.

Then again it just shows while String claims to be a businessman he still got the blood of the streets running through his veins.

The HD release has been pretty great (if conservative) so far. There aren't any surprises with cinematography at all but there really wasn't with the original 4:3 release either. About the best couple shots are when Kima chucks some bookstands at the camera and when Avon And Stringer are on opposite sides of the Dee confession.

Edit: one of the more noticeable shots that is blue screened is the rooftop convo between Avon and Stringer. Stringer they did pretty well but Avon you can tell is being blue screened since they black out an inch past his face/nose.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 10, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I believe it's more that Stringer got conned as opposed to the amount, he probably would have reacted the same if it had been $100. The whole thing was about his self-image, and the idea that not only did these guys not see him as the smart, savvy businessman that he wanted to be but that they thought he was some rube to take to the cleaners drove him wild with misdirected rage.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah think of it as him being mad on principle... he thought he could run with the big dogs and realize that next-level power fairly easily since he was already a king in his world. There's a bunch of longer, more articulate posts about this exact same thing already in this thread so I won't try and rehash them any further

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah, I mean, I would say it runs pretty deep to the comments the show makes about how your class and your background and your upbringing and your education are so much of what makes you are what you are, and one can only change that so much. So many seasons reiterate this point; D'Angelo practically spells it out in that wonderful, key scene where he talks about Gatsby - he's not just talking about himself there, he's also talking about Stringer, and all the people who are not at peace with the station in life that fate has given them. Interestingly, folks like Avon or Marlo know exactly what they want and how to carry it, and have the cruelty and amorality and lack of internal pathos to be fairly clear-headed about going after it.

But ultimately with the money, for String, it's absolutely all about pride. It's about the fact that he's the one who is supposed to be running the games, and this guy just ran the most simple, basic, retarded con in the world on Stringer because he knew that Stringer, being a total stranger to how political cons work, could be taken like a fuckin' child. And bear in mind this was a LONG loving con on the part on Clay Davis, and who the gently caress knows how many hundreds of thousands - or millions - of real estate Stringer invested in on the promises of Clay Davis, and how much money overall Davis really took him for. Remember Clay Davis' crooked driver? Davis had his people regularly leaving the towers with trashbags full of drug money in season 1.

But I dunno, maybe he got a legit return on that money? I'm not sure. I was under the impression that Davis had been long-term loving over Stringer, ultimately, and it wasn't just a case of 250 grand ultimately - that it sorta threw into doubt all the supposed business he had ever done with the guy and all the promises that were made, because now he knows that Davis sees him as mark and not a partner.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
davis tells freamon in the last episode that he 'bled' some sucker named Bell

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I just now finished my first watch of this show, and god drat.

Afterwords I looked up everyone on IMDB, to see where they landed. Uh, didn't know that Snoop (in the show as Snoop Pearson) is...actually named Felicia Pearson, and is actually from the streets, and actually loving killed a guy :stare:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i bought my nailgun based on snoops review. 7 years later it's still a loving beast. Fires a hanger through 8mm steel no problemo.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Red Crown posted:

Afterwords I looked up everyone on IMDB, to see where they landed. Uh, didn't know that Snoop (in the show as Snoop Pearson) is...actually named Felicia Pearson, and is actually from the streets, and actually loving killed a guy :stare:

Snoop was arrested in 2011 for conspiracy to distribute heroin by the DEA. Life imitates art.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Red Crown posted:

It shouldn't matter much because it makes her a terrible person either way, but she killed a girl and only "turned her life around" after her drug dealer friend got murdered.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Cage posted:

It shouldn't matter much because it makes her a terrible person either way, but she killed a girl and only "turned her life around" after her drug dealer friend got murdered.

She was also a crack baby born to two incarcerated criminals who grew up in a foster home and was dealing drugs as a child.

Terrible people are bred by terrible systems.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I happened to come by a Swedish show recently in which Snoop Pearson shows them around some of The Wire's shooting locations and talks about stuff. I believe it was shot sometime in 2014. It's worth a watch.

http://www.svtflow.se/video/2267755/avsnitt-1-snoop

You can skip the first 5 minutes if you don't care about Swedish :words:

Zat fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Cage posted:

someone missed the ENTIRE point The Wire was trying to make. I guess you just thought it was a show about black people selling drugs and killing each other.