Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
While I don't remember that scene, it's fitting with Stringer's character who wanted to separate his two lives as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

CBJSprague24 posted:

I was not expecting the Omar story to end as it did and I was hoping there was going to be some sort of final showdown.

I just got to that part on my first watch myself and had to back up to make sure it was him.

I'm not sure if you want an explanation or not but here it comes... It's an ignominious death for a man that perpetuated a culture of violence. The child that kills him used to play as Omar with his friends reinacting the shoot out that killed his friend and another. His legend lives on in the streets, but the story of his death doesn't even make the local paper. So undignified in death, his corpse is nearly marked with the wrong toe tag. It is a warning and admonition to any viewers that think "Omar is so bad rear end."

deoju fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 7, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It’s also significant because his death comes from one of the civilians that he never interferes with. Kenard isn’t in the game and so not only does Omar not see him as a threat, he doesn’t see him at all.

And in dying without a confrontation Mario is also denied the respect that comes from killing him. Omar dies and fully becomes a creature of legend, and Marlo merely a coward afraid to face him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

christmas boots posted:

It’s also significant because his death comes from one of the civilians that he never interferes with. Kenard isn’t in the game and so not only does Omar not see him as a threat, he doesn’t see him at all.

I'll disagree only in so far as I think it is very important that Omar does see Kenard.... it's just that he immediately discounts him as not in any way a threat, which turns out to be a fatal mistake. In that final scene you see that he very pointedly checks to see who has just come into the store, and obviously thinks,"Oh, it's just a kid," and then goes back to paying attention to the cashier, and... welp.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Why is Marlo so feared? It's Chris that does all the hard work. They're like the opposite of Avon and Stringer, where Avon is the warrior and Stringer is corporate management.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Kosmo Gallion posted:

While I don't remember that scene, it's fitting with Stringer's character who wanted to separate his two lives as much as possible.

McNulty is on a payphone getting yelled at by Daniels.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Omar's death isn't in the papers, but the corner boys Marlo confronts at the end are trading rumors about his death, vastly blowing it out of proportion, making him into a sort of folk legend.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Why is Marlo so feared? It's Chris that does all the hard work. They're like the opposite of Avon and Stringer, where Avon is the warrior and Stringer is corporate management.

No one knows who's killing who, they just know that anyone who gets on his bad side disappears.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also, who is scarier: the guy who emotionlessly kills dozens of people or the guy who THAT guy is impressed/scared enough of to follow his orders without question?

zenguitarman posted:

Omar's death isn't in the papers, but the corner boys Marlo confronts at the end are trading rumors about his death, vastly blowing it out of proportion, making him into a sort of folk legend.

Yeah, one glorious thing about the end of the series is that on paper Marlo absolutely wins but in reality Marlo absolutely lost, because his name has already disappeared from the streets in a matter of weeks while Omar's continues to ring out all the stronger even after his death. It also quite neatly represents the "two worlds" aspect of Baltimore, where things that are vitally important in one world are utterly meaningless or irrelevant in the other.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
We see glimpses of how dangerous Marlo is as a street player. His murder of Devon is pretty coldblooded, and he's shown handling himself pretty well with a gun when his gang is practice shooting bottles. Nobody gets to the position Marlo is at without getting their hands dirty and being real good at it. Even The Greek looks pretty vicious when he stabs that one guy after sweettalking him into telling the truth.

Not saying they're like kung fu ninjas or whatever but anyone at the top of those organizations has bodies to their name and can handle themselves in that regard.

They let others mostly do the killing for them (unless it's a situation like Devon where Marlo wanted to send a message) because that's a perk of the job. But if needed, they're capable. We don't really see Avon's streetgame but I have no doubt that character has killed before and is proficient at it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Ginette Reno posted:

Nobody gets to the position Marlo is at without getting their hands dirty and being real good at it.

Homicide knew about him for a while. Their assessment...
"spawn of the devil."
Killed a witness.
"that motherfucker's real."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=avDInBXcRWY

Edit: "Street name 'Black.'" Nobody else calls him that in the series. Maybe Holly was wrong here, or maybe later on Marlo made sure everyone knew his name. "My name is my name."

deoju fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 7, 2021

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Well, final season of Bosch came and went, and up to the very end I viewed Daniels' character in Bosch as Daniels from The Wire.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

deoju posted:

Homicide knew about him for a while. Their assessment...
"spawn of the devil."
Killed a witness.
"that motherfucker's real."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=avDInBXcRWY

Edit: "Street name 'Black.'" Nobody else calls him that in the series. Maybe Holly was wrong here, or maybe later on Marlo made sure everyone knew his name. "My name is my name."

Yeah I kinda enjoy that you only get glimpses of Marlo's street game. And really that's all you need. You get enough to know that there's a reason that killers like Chris and Snoop are still willing to loyally follow him.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So what is the spoiler policy in this thread right now? Not asking for myself but I know there are a bunch of folks in their first foray into the show popping in here and some people are considerate enough to spoiler even the smallest things but also some who just completely spoil everything, particularly, and weirdly, in response to those posts. Can we get a solid view on this?

My personal policy is to always be considerate, it doesn't cost you anything to tag poo poo even if it makes the thread look like a CIA document. Don't ruin the show for new people for goodness' sake.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I would assume the third line of the OP still holds:

escape artist posted:

:siren: Important: This thread is not for first time viewers. Even if we are only on Season 1 Episode 1, we are likely to discuss certain plot parallels from the series finale, and we are not using spoiler tags in this at all. :siren: In the words of Ellis Carver, "fair warning, you just got."

granted that OP hasn't been updated in a very long time, but my understanding has always been that this is explicitly an open spoiler thread and newcomers read it at their own risk. If people want to be considerate and tag spoilers anyway, that's a fine thing, but it's not the expectation of the thread

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

I would assume the third line of the OP still holds:

granted that OP hasn't been updated in a very long time, but my understanding has always been that this is explicitly an open spoiler thread and newcomers read it at their own risk. If people want to be considerate and tag spoilers anyway, that's a fine thing, but it's not the expectation of the thread

Okay, cool, that's fair enough. I do kind of wish the title reflected that as new viewers may not read the old OP and all and I'd hate for them to get spoiled coming in hot after a few episodes. Kudos to all who still keep tagging poo poo though.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Stare-Out posted:

So what is the spoiler policy in this thread right now? Not asking for myself but I know there are a bunch of folks in their first foray into the show popping in here and some people are considerate enough to spoiler even the smallest things but also some who just completely spoil everything, particularly, and weirdly, in response to those posts. Can we get a solid view on this?

My personal policy is to always be considerate, it doesn't cost you anything to tag poo poo even if it makes the thread look like a CIA document. Don't ruin the show for new people for goodness' sake.

I kind of wish the forum software would have smart spoilering for threads as an option. Such that the creator of the thread can tag a thread like this one as a spoiler enabled thread, with everything covered up unless the reader clicks a "show all" box of some sort. I don't know, some sort of "opt in" or "opt out" type of system.

Just spitballing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I always mention that the "old" wire thread had a spoilers policy because nobody had seen it when it came out so there was always new people.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The writers just gave up on the “need to have a visual on the person on the phone” in season 2 didn’t they.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

drunken officeparty posted:

The writers just gave up on the “need to have a visual on the person on the phone” in season 2 didn’t they.

I don't think you need a visual confirmation when you're tapping a private phone.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, when it was a public phone they needed to visually confirm the person they were recording was a known person of interest before they could listen in on the call (or at least, use it as evidence). Once it went to private phones, they didn't need to visually confirm once they'd established the number belonged to them, but they did still have to hear them say something "criminal" to justify listening to the call for longer than I think a minute.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

S2E11 - I doubt anyone will know without looking at the episode, but I’m confused on who the blue suit man that leaves the hotel with Spiros is. He shows up again at dinner with the Greek when they rip up passports. Also, why does Greek walk into the parking garage after, other than to get a cool shot of Keema missing him.

E: I’m an idiot and they answer it in the first minute of the next episode :downs:. But they didn’t cut Franks head and hands off so

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 9, 2021

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
“Love Rollercoaster” has been stuck in my head since the little snippet in S4E2, Soft Eyes, when Namond gets home to find the new clothes on his bed.

It just clicked that it’s literally describing Namond and his mom. Like, the chorus even plays during their talk. A little touch that has to be intentional.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Boywhiz88 posted:

“Love Rollercoaster” has been stuck in my head since the little snippet in S4E2, Soft Eyes, when Namond gets home to find the new clothes on his bed.

It just clicked that it’s literally describing Namond and his mom. Like, the chorus even plays during their talk. A little touch that has to be intentional.

His mom is remarkable. Wee Bey gets thrown in prison and she needs someone to help sustain her lifestyle, so the next person up is her son, who clearly wants no part of it; no fucks given. I was glad to see things turned out well for him in his one scene in season 5.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CBJSprague24 posted:

His mom is remarkable. Wee Bey gets thrown in prison and she needs someone to help sustain her lifestyle, so the next person up is her son, who clearly wants no part of it; no fucks given. I was glad to see things turned out well for him in his one scene in season 5.

Doesn't she get paid by Barksdales anyways as compensation for Wee Bey confessing to all the murders?
I got the idea that Namon didn't have to do any of it and was doing it because his dad was a big deal and he felt compelled to.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Also literally nobody ever told Namond he could do anything else.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Brianna heavily implies without coming right out and saying so that she (via Avon) has given De'Londa a huge amount of money intended for her and Namond (to keep the very loyal Wee Bey feeling satisfied sitting in jail knowing his family are taken care of) over a long period of time, but that De'Londa has just been blowing it and not putting anything aside at all, and SHE is the reason that when they get cut off (due to the Barksdale Organisation's complete collapse) there is no money left over.

De'Londa of course fully expects Namond to go and be the exact kind of provider that Wee Bey was despite Wee Bey growing up hard on the streets and Namond growing up being given everything and never having to work for anything.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Webay was so much better than Chris

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Chris is definitely feared. There's one conversation where it's revealed that people believe he has almost magical powers. They literally calls him the zombie master. People are so scared of him that just the sight of him makes people fear for their life.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jul 15, 2021

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I would be scared of Chris if I ran into him on the street and didn’t know a loving thing about him, the guy has a look about him. Whereas Weebey just seems larger than life.

Of course that fear at first sight goes tenfold for Marlo.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

drunken officeparty posted:

Webay was so much better than Chris

Webay is one you can crack open a cold one and chill with, while Chris was simply a sociopath with a bad guy badge.

General Battuta posted:

I would be scared of Chris if I ran into him on the street and didn’t know a loving thing about him, the guy has a look about him. Whereas Weebey just seems larger than life.

Must be the acting, because his character in Bosch has that "chill with a cold one" vibe.

Speaking of Bosch, since the series is "over" (until spinoffs of some sort), I began reading the Bosch books on Kindle. $10 per book, Amazon? Seriously?

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 18, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If anybody didn't see The Deuce, Gbenga Akinnagbe plays a pimp in the first 2 seasons. His 1st season is okay, there's some interesting stuff in there about his image vs. his actual personality, but in season 2 he absolutely shines. It's a shame he wasn't in the last season even if only for a cameo, but he went out on an incredible high and his storyline was probably the absolute highlight of the second season. It also demonstrates very clearly that he's more than capable of playing an entirely different type of person to Chris Partlow.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The Deuce is great in general and if you love The Wire you should give it a watch imo.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Orange Devil posted:

The Deuce is great in general and if you love The Wire you should give it a watch imo.

It's fantastic, but just a warning to anyone interested, it's as much of a downer as The Corner or Show Me a Hero, so definitely gird yourself for it. But there is some incredible acting from everyone in the cast.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Orange Devil posted:

Definitely, amazing from beginning to end. I should really give Show Me a Hero and Treme a shot as well considering I've loved everything else David Simon made.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

General Battuta posted:

That’s one reason why I liked the scenes w/ Chris and his family, or about his family.

He’s clearly a loving dad and it’s an interesting insight. Snoop, cold. Marlo, cold. Chris, cold but has some softness to him. It’s like the scene w Rawls at the gay bar. Just a little taste of their life without it being a complete focus.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Vichan posted:

Definitely, amazing from beginning to end. I should really give Show Me a Hero and Treme a shot as well considering I've loved everything else David Simon made.

I really liked Show Me a Hero. They made good use of the miniseries format.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Just finished my rewatch season 4. Excluding 5 until I finish that, the Official Season Goodness Rankings is as follows:

2>1>4>>>>>>3

1 and 4 could be switched at the readers discretion.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Vichan posted:

I love seasons 1 and 2 of Treme, but 3 and the short season 4 are just ok. I think Simon wasn’t really sure where to take some of the characters because some of them kind of languish. There’s still good stuff in there though.

Show Me a Hero is great beginning to end, but it’s a short show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Show Me A Hero is utterly superb but holy gently caress talk about a gut-punch of a show and DEEPLY depressing. Especially when it REALLY sinks in that you're watching poo poo that was happening in the late 80s and early 90s, not the 60s or hell even the 70s.

Oscar Isaac's last scene is absolutely incredible but goddrat :stonk: