Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

guppy posted:

I am introducing friends to the hobby, with some success. A lot of them are fit and take to it no problem, but I have one friend who -- although she has been very gung-ho -- is having a lot of trouble getting going because she's out of shape. She isn't even doing routes right now, just using whatever handholds are handy, and still can't reliably get up the wall, and generally only manages 1-2 attempts per evening.

She's upbeat about it, not getting discouraged or anything, and she loves it enough to buy gear and everything already. So that's great. But I'm a little worried she'll get discouraged. I try to give her technique advice and be motivating, but I'd welcome advice on helping her improve, if any of you guys have experience getting people who aren't in top form started.

Anyone who can climb a ladder can get up easy routes with decent technique (not pullups). Just avoid overhanging stuff for a while and she'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Anyone wanna trade left ring fingers with me? Or fix it with a miracle cure? Mine seems to have tendonitis.

JustAnother Fat Guy
Dec 22, 2009

Go to hell, and take your cheap suit with you!
Just rest it for a few days and gently climb on it in such a way that doesn't hurt it is my reccomendation. If you've truly hosed it to the point it hurts doing anything with your hand then rest it and ice it. Also as the tendons have a phenomenally crap blood supply, do some cardio to get blood moving around as that's helped me with multiple ligament and tendon injuries in the past.

Prevention is worth a mention as well, does it hurt when doing any sort of hand hold in particular? If it is open handing holds then it could indeed be the tendon. If it is crimping that hurts then you've probably tweaked a flexor pulley.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

guppy posted:

I am introducing friends to the hobby, with some success. A lot of them are fit and take to it no problem, but I have one friend who -- although she has been very gung-ho -- is having a lot of trouble getting going because she's out of shape. She isn't even doing routes right now, just using whatever handholds are handy, and still can't reliably get up the wall, and generally only manages 1-2 attempts per evening.

She's upbeat about it, not getting discouraged or anything, and she loves it enough to buy gear and everything already. So that's great. But I'm a little worried she'll get discouraged. I try to give her technique advice and be motivating, but I'd welcome advice on helping her improve, if any of you guys have experience getting people who aren't in top form started.

Maybe try doing traverses across the walls (side to side) using whatever holds are available? It depends strongly on how your gym is setup but this can be fun and can have a mix of challenging and easier sections, while also teaching you some of the technique of how to grip various holds without wearing you out quite as much as climbing up the wall.

E: I'm talking about a bouldering wall here in case that wasn't obvious.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 18, 2013

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

guppy posted:

This presumably pretty long routes? Does your gym have a bouldering wall as well? If she can literally only go up a couple of times a session, then doing short bouldering routes will allow her to do a lot more routes, which means quicker improvement and more successes.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

WhatEvil posted:

Maybe try doing traverses across the walls (side to side) using whatever holds are available? It depends strongly on how your gym is setup but this can be fun and can have a mix of challenging and easier sections, while also teaching you some of the technique of how to grip various holds without wearing you out quite as much as climbing up the wall.

E: I'm talking about a bouldering wall here in case that wasn't obvious.

This sounds like a good idea, thanks. I'll try that.

Magnus Manfist posted:

This presumably pretty long routes? Does your gym have a bouldering wall as well? If she can literally only go up a couple of times a session, then doing short bouldering routes will allow her to do a lot more routes, which means quicker improvement and more successes.

Not entirely sure I'm following. We do have a bouldering cave, but the limiting factor isn't time, she's just pooped after a time or two up. Wouldn't bouldering be harder for her? (edit: I generally find "easy" bouldering problems more demanding than "easy" top-roped routes.

guppy fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 18, 2013

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bouldering problems tend to have fewer holds than some of the taller roped walls. At my gym they range from about 5 to 15 holds depending on the type and location, so if stamina is an issue it could be good to use some of the shorter routes.

That said I'm not all that experienced (~8 months) and I've only ever done bouldering so I don't actually know how roped climbing compares in practice.

JustAnother Fat Guy
Dec 22, 2009

She just needs to be made aware of the fact that if you are new to climbing then it takes a while to adjust to the new demands on your body, especially if you are already quite unfit.

I started climbing a while back as a bamboo thin weakling with zero muscle who came from playing computer games all day. It took me like 6 months to do a single pull up and for a man I am told that is fairly bad :v: . But I stuck at it and after that first few months were over I got a lot better and it's onwards and upwards from there. Also I am still a bamboo thin nerd body type, but hey at least I can climb now :toot:

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Also, different people have different motivations. If she's having fun by her standards, it's not really up to you to make sure she's also having fun by your standards.

TotallyUnoriginal
Oct 15, 2004

Damnit bob

magicalmako posted:

Anyone wanna trade left ring fingers with me? Or fix it with a miracle cure? Mine seems to have tendonitis.

I'll give you my middle finger for your ring finger. Torn collateral ligament :smith:

JustAnother Fat Guy
Dec 22, 2009

Whenever I crack climb I fear for my collateral ligaments. Like a pulley or tendon tear I have coped with in the past, but torquing a finger out sideways and tearing the joint capsule is a potential injury that terrifies me :stonk:

What's the sort of recovery period on those? I've become quite acquainted with pulley injury care but collateral ligament injuries seem a lot less documented.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

guppy posted:

Not entirely sure I'm following. We do have a bouldering cave, but the limiting factor isn't time, she's just pooped after a time or two up. Wouldn't bouldering be harder for her? (edit: I generally find "easy" bouldering problems more demanding than "easy" top-roped routes.

Literally just that they're usually much shorter. So if you were too tired to do another long top-rope climb, you might be a able to do a couple of short ones and get a bit more climbing in?

I'm going to a bouldering only gym at the moment so we have a really good range - obviously not good if there aren't many easy ones or it's mostly overhangs or whatever.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
If she's just barely starting she just needs to climb more. Her technique will suck, her grip will suck, everything will just suck. Bare bones starting technique, I'd just tell her about straight arms and remembering to breathe. Gettig used to straight arms is the biggest improvement - it really isn't that intuitive, like dropping your rear end down so you can make easy foot movements & such.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

JustAnother Fat Guy posted:

She just needs to be made aware of the fact that if you are new to climbing then it takes a while to adjust to the new demands on your body, especially if you are already quite unfit.

I started climbing a while back as a bamboo thin weakling with zero muscle who came from playing computer games all day. It took me like 6 months to do a single pull up and for a man I am told that is fairly bad :v: . But I stuck at it and after that first few months were over I got a lot better and it's onwards and upwards from there. Also I am still a bamboo thin nerd body type, but hey at least I can climb now :toot:

The nice thing about being a skinny weakling when starting climbing is that you don't weigh much. Climbing is actually good for us rail-thin guys as far as getting really good at it, I spent last winter bulking up, gained about 15-20 pounds of muscle and then stopped eating so much and lost the weight and I've never been stronger on the wall. I'd rather do that than be the big person who has to suffer through cardio and less food to lose the pounds necessary to climb harder.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks for the advice guys. She's overweight, not under, so the rail-thin stuff doesn't really apply.

TotallyUnoriginal
Oct 15, 2004

Damnit bob

JustAnother Fat Guy posted:

Whenever I crack climb I fear for my collateral ligaments. Like a pulley or tendon tear I have coped with in the past, but torquing a finger out sideways and tearing the joint capsule is a potential injury that terrifies me :stonk:

What's the sort of recovery period on those? I've become quite acquainted with pulley injury care but collateral ligament injuries seem a lot less documented.

Well my doctor did verify that it was most likely my problem when I showed him the exact spot that hurt but it's not 100%. I've been reading that it's one of the slower injuries in terms of healing and recovery but I can actually climb on it still. It's not a full tear but it hurts pretty drat much whenever I put pressure on the right side of the finger, finally taking some time off to try and let it heal fully but it's hard to keep myself from doing anything.

Most things I do aggravate it so I have my middle and ring fingers buddy taped 24/7 but the worst thing is that my job involves typing all day. I think that and using a mouse is what really prolongs any kind of healing.

Although my finger occasionally dislocates sides slightly. Gotta pop it back into place a few times a day. It was healing fine but then I was a silly boy and climbed on it a bunch and now I'm back to square 1.

Beth Rodden has a pretty cool post about a few collateral ligament injuries that she's suffered

http://blog.bethrodden.com/2012/03/collateral-ligament-injuries.html

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Today I set some routes, and managed to have an extendable ladder de-extend itself onto my hand, chipping off part of my thumbnail and ripping a huge chunk of skin off my middle finger. Then my manager decided to throw a bolt into a bucket, just as I was reaching into said bucket. Needless to say, I'm out of commission for a little while. Also halfway through putting up a route the head setter took the ascender I needed. No problem dude, I'll just do one arm pull ups on the rope, dunno why I bother with that thing anyway.

Setting is literally a party all the time.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Today I set some routes, and managed to have an extendable ladder de-extend itself onto my hand, chipping off part of my thumbnail and ripping a huge chunk of skin off my middle finger. Then my manager decided to throw a bolt into a bucket, just as I was reaching into said bucket. Needless to say, I'm out of commission for a little while. Also halfway through putting up a route the head setter took the ascender I needed. No problem dude, I'll just do one arm pull ups on the rope, dunno why I bother with that thing anyway.

Setting is literally a party all the time.

The good thing about setting here is it's just two dudes, one ascender for setting rope, and enough area to ensure the other has plenty of time to work bouldering problems.

Still a small as hell area though. A good place to cut your teeth on setting though.

jryand
Jun 18, 2013
went climbing in california for the first time today

i on-sighted a 5.10c which was awesome cause i can normally barely do 5.10's at all at the gym i go to

in a few days im gonna go to yellowstone, thats looking to be hella dope

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

jryand posted:

went climbing in california for the first time today

i on-sighted a 5.10c which was awesome cause i can normally barely do 5.10's at all at the gym i go to

It's almost as if the numbers are a totally arbitrary system based on the personal opinions of a small handful of people who set gym routes or write guidebooks (they never do both).

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Speleothing posted:

It's almost as if the numbers are a totally arbitrary system based on the personal opinions of a small handful of people who set gym routes or write guidebooks (they never do both).

I was just going to say this, climbing route grades should only be compared to the other routes on that crag/gym.

Chromatic Penguin
Aug 20, 2013

Let me see your face.
I'm going to Devil's Lake with friends to do some bouldering in a few days, anyone have any recommendations for the V2-V4 range?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My regular partner's been out injured and the person I've been introducing to climbing is out of town, so I've been going bouldering and putting my name up on the "looking for a partner" board and it's been going great. I've made some new friends and gotten a whole bunch of wall time. Climbing is neat. I stepped up to 5.8s and I'm bringing another new friend tomorrow night.

I seem to be hurting the ball of my foot occasionally by standing on that instead of on my toes -- it's nothing serious but it's sore sometimes when I walk on it, especially barefoot. I climb in climbing shoes, but just cheap Evolvs. Other than the obvious ("stop standing on the balls of your feet") is there anything I should be doing? It's not a severe injury or anything, I just want to make sure it's okay to keep climbing while it recovers and that I don't need to be doing anything in particular to treat it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The balls of my feet hurt when I started wearing toe shoes (not climbing) and it just went away after a week.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I've been trying these out (girlfriend gave me one) on my sore fingers between problems at the gym, and it's kind of a nice sensation.

I'm quite sure the benefits are not nearly what they're made out to be, but it does seem to loosen up my finger a little bit each time I use it. It's a given (at least for me) that when your finger hurts you'll usually be massaging it by squeezing the painful section, so this kind of does the same thing but in a more even manner. Looks like an evil cock-ring but you're just supposed to roll them back and forth along the section of your finger that hurts. If you have a torn such-and-such, of course seek appropriate medical attention instead.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
I lightly sprained my left ankle the day after my first climbing class (and I wasn't even climbing at the time). It kept me off the wall for a week and a half, and really I probably should have kept away for a full two weeks. But I almost lost my motivation to keep going with this climbing thing so I forced myself back to the gym when my foot was still a bit tender. Luckily I managed not to re-injure myself! I've been back a couple of times since then and am back to having a blast.

But the loving flappers just keep on coming. I've had two more this week despite judicious use of ClimbOn, ugh.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

French Canadian posted:

I've been trying these out (girlfriend gave me one) on my sore fingers between problems at the gym, and it's kind of a nice sensation.

I'm quite sure the benefits are not nearly what they're made out to be, but it does seem to loosen up my finger a little bit each time I use it. It's a given (at least for me) that when your finger hurts you'll usually be massaging it by squeezing the painful section, so this kind of does the same thing but in a more even manner. Looks like an evil cock-ring but you're just supposed to roll them back and forth along the section of your finger that hurts. If you have a torn such-and-such, of course seek appropriate medical attention instead.

I have a buddy who has one of those and he loves it to death.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Kefit posted:

I lightly sprained my left ankle the day after my first climbing class (and I wasn't even climbing at the time). It kept me off the wall for a week and a half, and really I probably should have kept away for a full two weeks. But I almost lost my motivation to keep going with this climbing thing so I forced myself back to the gym when my foot was still a bit tender. Luckily I managed not to re-injure myself! I've been back a couple of times since then and am back to having a blast.

But the loving flappers just keep on coming. I've had two more this week despite judicious use of ClimbOn, ugh.

I would guess you are gripping way too hard.

deck
Jul 13, 2006

Whenever I grab a "full hand" jug, I always bounce it a couple times for a optimal re-grip. Watch other climbers and you'll see them doing this too. It helps relieve any pressure points (skin folding in a weird direction) you might have caused by gripping something quickly/poorly, so it probably helps reduce flappers.

Also, it should be obvious, but lots of dynamic swinging moves can destroy your skin pretty fast and should be avoided when you don't have the calluses for it.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

spwrozek posted:

I would guess you are gripping way too hard.

When you eventually get into harder problems you'll only use your finger tips anyway, haha!

JustAnother Fat Guy
Dec 22, 2009

Or the most vile pinches known to man.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

deck posted:

Whenever I grab a "full hand" jug, I always bounce it a couple times for a optimal re-grip. Watch other climbers and you'll see them doing this too. It helps relieve any pressure points (skin folding in a weird direction) you might have caused by gripping something quickly/poorly, so it probably helps reduce flappers.

Also, it should be obvious, but lots of dynamic swinging moves can destroy your skin pretty fast and should be avoided when you don't have the calluses for it.
You see a lot of climbers doing this, but it's not very good technique--the goal should be to grab the hold the right way the first time. If you're doing a lot of repositioning to get the right spot, you'll tire yourself out a lot quicker. Approaching the hold slower/more static until you have the move down right will help build up the muscle memory here, and help sequence into the next move. Great practice for this is to keep doing a route and not move your hands once they're on a hold. You'll see that going from one move into the next is a lot smoother because you aren't stopping to adjust between handholds.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

PYF chalkbags: http://www.yamaclimbing.com/index.html

She's a friend of mine, but they're really durable and the closing mechanisms work very well. New designs are posted all the time and she can do custom stuff.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Discomancer posted:

You see a lot of climbers doing this, but it's not very good technique--the goal should be to grab the hold the right way the first time. If you're doing a lot of repositioning to get the right spot, you'll tire yourself out a lot quicker. Approaching the hold slower/more static until you have the move down right will help build up the muscle memory here, and help sequence into the next move. Great practice for this is to keep doing a route and not move your hands once they're on a hold. You'll see that going from one move into the next is a lot smoother because you aren't stopping to adjust between handholds.

Yeah I used to readjust a lot, I think it's a phase.

Well my pulley tendon is finally healed up, and I'm climbing as hard as ever, and now my elbow tendonitis is coming back. Woo. I think I'm going to have to back off for a while and hope it settles down.

The nice thing about the injuries I've gotten is that I can usually climb easier stuff without aggravating them, so as long as I just go outside and climb moderate trad or easier sport I can keep climbing.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

modig posted:

Yeah I used to readjust a lot, I think it's a phase.

Well my pulley tendon is finally healed up, and I'm climbing as hard as ever, and now my elbow tendonitis is coming back. Woo. I think I'm going to have to back off for a while and hope it settles down.

Do you do dips or any tricep work? I find adding a few sets of those after climbing helps a lot when my elbows start aching.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

French Canadian posted:

PYF chalkbags: http://www.yamaclimbing.com/index.html

She's a friend of mine, but they're really durable and the closing mechanisms work very well. New designs are posted all the time and she can do custom stuff.

I was actually looking into custom bags recently. This might be my answer.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Discomancer posted:

Do you do dips or any tricep work? I find adding a few sets of those after climbing helps a lot when my elbows start aching.

I've done some tricep stuff on and off, and its never been clear if it was helping or not. I might start trying again. Never really did dips.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

modig posted:

I've done some tricep stuff on and off, and its never been clear if it was helping or not. I might start trying again. Never really did dips.

Skullcrushers are better and less likely to exacerbate internal rotation.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Any Colorado folks want to get out this weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
I took a gnarly fall at the bouldering gym today. I was making the last move of a problem, reaching up to grab the top of the wall, and before I knew it I was on the floor. I don't really know how it happened but I landed on my hip and shoulder and I hit the mat so hard that my glasses came off. My shoulder hurts right now and I can tell that it's going to hurt tomorrow. When I first started climbing it took me a while to work through the whole "I'm kind of high up and I'm nervous about making this next move" mental state and now I'm back there in a different way.

Any advice on how to break through the mental stuff? I've found that I've been having issues climbing problems on aretes and problems with lots of volumes. I'm worried about falling and hitting my head on something on the way down. I know that the answer is always "climb more" and that is my plan, but I would like to hear about your personal experiences in advancing the mental aspect of your climbing ability. Right now I feel like my physical climbing skill is ahead of my mental skill and I need to find a way to get them in synch.