Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

It's actually because the spell is called "Summon Eldritch Animal" and none of those animals are remotely Eldritch. They're too high tier to be summoned by Summon Wild Animal.

Ah, yeah I see your point...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gerblyn posted:

It's actually because the spell is called "Summon Eldritch Animal" and none of those animals are remotely Eldritch. They're too high tier to be summoned by Summon Wild Animal.
Sounds like there's design space for a Summon Greater Animal hidden spell.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Splicer posted:

Sounds like there's design space for a Summon Greater Animal hidden spell.

Or adding monkeys and such to Summon Beast Horde, maybe? It's sort of a random grab bag of not overly powerful animals already.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
This week we get the rest of the Tigran lineup:

http://ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-tigrans-part-ii/

That last screenshot is totally a thing you might want to look closely at.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Those aren't Archons...

Actually they appear to be Prussian.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Are those the crawlers that were talked about in the necro devlogs? They look like they are kneeling and praying with arms raised up. The kaiser helmets are amusing.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Carnalfex posted:

Are those the crawlers that were talked about in the necro devlogs? They look like they are kneeling and praying with arms raised up. The kaiser helmets are amusing.

Those are the crawlers, (Cadevars, now) yeah though it was more the battlefield I was trying to draw your attention to. (There's also a Tigran hero hiding behind the Mystic Screenshot)

Live Beta is delayed to next week, going by the official forums.

Tigran units are all really cool. One thing that deserves attention is that between the Frostlings having a T3 Support and the Sphinx (Who has LAZER EYEBEAMS) being a T3 irregular you get some interesting ability combos you couldn't do with the old race's elite units.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
Are you trying to call attention to how overweight those chariot-pulling tigers look? Some kind of ox-tiger hybrid?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Malachamavet posted:

Are you trying to call attention to how overweight those chariot-pulling tigers look? Some kind of ox-tiger hybrid?

They've grown fat on the blood of their enemies.

I was actually referring to the arena but eh whatever it's not that big a deal. Just another treasure site that hasn't been previewed yet. (The upgrade building, though...)

madmac fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 6, 2015

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
So not only can we bring back the corpses of our enemies (or, you know, allies...) but they get little pickelhaube hats as a bonus!

You can never have enough hat variety.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Man, Triumph loves giving their DLC races a shitload of gimmicks. Tigrans have morphing units, extra damage to bleeding units, breaking guard, etc. etc.

Guardbreaker could be a game changer, especially if it's readily available on other units. Really weakens Crusaders, really strengthens Rogues.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

The racial gimmicks are what makes these type of games what they are. At release most races felt really samey and Triumph did a pretty good job of addressing that and adding variety.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate

madmac posted:

They've grown fat on the blood of their enemies.

I was actually referring to the arena but eh whatever it's not that big a deal. Just another treasure site that hasn't been previewed yet. (The upgrade building, though...)

Empire upgrade: Weight-loss plan for mounts

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

PFlats posted:

Man, Triumph loves giving their DLC races a shitload of gimmicks. Tigrans have morphing units, extra damage to bleeding units, breaking guard, etc. etc.

Guardbreaker could be a game changer, especially if it's readily available on other units. Really weakens Crusaders, really strengthens Rogues.

A lot of the new content will make more sense when the beta starts and you can see what's been done with the old races and classes, although you won't get the whole picture until you see the Racial Governance perks. It's going to be a much more expansive overhaul then Golden Realms, and the Golden Realms patch notes were so long that they had built in achievements for finishing the whole thing.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah I'm just assuming they're doing yet another massive balance pass on all the races.

I am guessing this one is going to cost a full expansion price at this rate.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
The feature list is pretty huge, yeah. I think everyone just wants it to come out at this point, anything else can come later. Just reading the changelog will be a weekend by itself most likely.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Long overdue, but since I've had reason to do some hero related research lately, consider this a small addendum to my hero guides.

Every class of hero has slightly different starting stats, a weapon, and some sort of passive ability.

ArchDruid:

HP 55 Def 9 Res 10 Melee 12

Starts with Vision range+1 and a Longbow.

Warlord

HP 50 Def 11 Res 9 Melee 14

Starts with Armored (Included in stats) and a Heavy Crossbow.

Dreadnaught

HP 50 Def 12 Res 9 Melee 12

Starts with Armored (Included in stats) and a Musket

Rogue

HP 50 Def 10 Res 9 Melee 13

Starts with Backstab and a blowgun.

Sorcerer

HP 50 Def 9 Res 10 Melee 12

Starts with Channeler (+5 CP) and a Shock Wand

Theocrat

HP 50 Def 9 Res 11 Melee 12

Starts with Devout and a Holy Wand

Necromancer

Pending...Quite unusual, though!

Now looking at these, obviously the baseline stats are 50 HP, 9 Def/Res and 12 Melee Damage, so you can alternately look at it this way:

Druid gets +5 HP and +1 Res, Warlord +1 Def and +2 Dam, Dread +2 Def, Rogue +1 Def and +1 Damage, Sorc +1 Res, and Theocrat +2 Res.

I'm posting this now because this will be important information to keep in mind when the live beta launches and you start hiring heroes. Just trust me on this.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Well i better link that post in the OP then! :haw:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Heh.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/226840/discussions/

Check out the "moved" thread at the top.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Doesn't lead anywhere. :negative:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Triumph usually releases patches in about 4-5 hours from now, around the time Dev Journals go up on Friday. Don't despair just yet...

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Just trust me on this.

There are extreme variances per hero, then?

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
The poor beta instructions are slowly slipping away down the page as I frantically :f5:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Carnalfex posted:

The poor beta instructions are slowly slipping away down the page as I frantically :f5:

It's past the window to be released today, I'm afraid. Word on the street is "very soon" though. Maybe tomorrow?

quote:

There are extreme variances per hero, then?

I'm just saying, the "show me your abiilities" button they've added for hiring heroes is really helpful, that's all. :p

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

madmac posted:

It's past the window to be released today, I'm afraid. Word on the street is "very soon" though. Maybe tomorrow?

I'm just saying, the "show me your abiilities" button they've added for hiring heroes is really helpful, that's all. :p

Sounds like maybe heroes get a bunch more unique abilities.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Oh I hope they do. That would be amazing.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I wish they would have a show me your abilities button for dating :xd:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

madmac posted:

You are a false prophet, a deceiver, a bringer of vain hopes.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffgsf3pqaD8

I am genuinely curious what the patch will include. I know all the new content is expansion specific, but does that include things like diplomacy changes? It has got to be a pretty big list even without the expansion content at this point. Between dev logs and constant hints from both devs and testers it seems to touch on just about every aspect of the game.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 10, 2015

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

madmac posted:

What is the window's endtime, so we can know when to stop wondering each day?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Splicer posted:

You are a false prophet, a deceiver, a bringer of vain hopes.

Yes.

quote:

What is the window's endtime, so we can know when to stop wondering each day?

I mean, they're in the Netherlands. The cut-off time for releasing a patch is around 5:30 pm their time. That's like 9:30-10:00 AM my time, but it depends where you live.

quote:

I am genuinely curious what the patch will include. I know all the new content is expansion specific, but does that include things like diplomacy changes? It has got to be a pretty big list even without the expansion content at this point. Between dev logs and constant hints from both devs and testers it seems to touch on just about every aspect of the game.

I'm not entirely positive, but you'll get all the balance changes for existing content, including changes to diplomacy, racial happiness, RNG/AI changes, ect. Oh and PBEM, naturally.

Stuff that definitely won't be in the live beta:

Tigrans
Frostlings
Necromancer
New Items/Heroes/Buildings/Map Objects, ect.
Racial Governence.
Cosmic Events
New Specializations
*Cough*
*Cough Cough*

madmac fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 11, 2015

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Are there really still features to be announced this close to the expansion? That is nuts. There is already way more stuff coming than I thought possible.

Still hoping they talk more about the event system, they touched on it a little and asked for suggestions and people went insane with joy but we haven't heard about it since.

Also really hoping it is easy to make more so people can churn out more of those when proper mod tools are a thing.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 10, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Still hoping they talk more about the event system, they touched on it a little and asked for suggestions and people went insane with joy but we haven't heard about it since.

It's one of those things that's hard to talk about in a way that isn't just spoiling what more events are. I can tell you that there's an associated difficulty slider and mine is permanently cranked to "hard".

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

madmac posted:

It's one of those things that's hard to talk about in a way that isn't just spoiling what more events are. I can tell you that there's an associated difficulty slider and mine is permanently cranked to "hard".

I'm pretty sure the slider for everyone following this thread is cranked to "hard"!

So out of curiosity, will you be revisiting your class how-to's once the expansion comes out? It'll be interesting to see what changes.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Taliesyn posted:

I'm pretty sure the slider for everyone following this thread is cranked to "hard"!

So out of curiosity, will you be revisiting your class how-to's once the expansion comes out? It'll be interesting to see what changes.

I'm not going to write up whole new Class guides, (Except Necromancer, man that's going to be a pain to put together.) but I'll probably do a post or two talking about the changes, since some of the effects on the meta are not entirely obvious.

I will probably end up doing actual race guides though, because racial governance alone is a huge change, to say nothing of the other stuff.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Looks like CA just teased total warhammer coming 2015. They eventually managed to turn rome 2 around and everything I hear about atilla is great, so we might have a decent competitor in the fantasy 4x with tactical combat genre coming along.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Carnalfex posted:

Looks like CA just teased total warhammer coming 2015. They eventually managed to turn rome 2 around and everything I hear about atilla is great, so we might have a decent competitor in the fantasy 4x with tactical combat genre coming along.

How exactly did they turn Rome 2 around? I'm not being facetious, as I got burned on a preorder because my friend was hyped as hell about it and then forgot about it. Did they turn it around to "kind of a retread, but at least it isn't a buggy trainwreck," or does it competently move the formula forward from previous TW games?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Guys, guys. Focus. It's time:

http://ageofwonders.com/eternal-lords-expansion-announced-coming-to-windows-mac-and-linux/

btw, both of the new features I was coughing about yesterday are in the list if you dig for them.

madmac fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 11, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"Horrors of the Deep" dwelling race. :stare:

And a racial unity victory. That's a pretty sweet way to do a diplomatic victory condition!

(I'm guessing your *cough* things are the Reef Colony and either the campaign or that win condition)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

"Horrors of the Deep" dwelling race. :stare:

And a racial unity victory. That's a pretty sweet way to do a diplomatic victory condition!

(I'm guessing your *cough* things are the Reef Colony and either the campaign or that win condition)

Got it in one. :)

Though yeah, campaign spoilers and a new forum background, too. Plus some of that sweet new terrain stuff they put in for Artic/Desert, and well, you might want to pause at a few points in that video. Age of Death is a thing.

Man, I thought Golden Realms was a good deal, but $20 bucks is a loving steal for this much new content.

What I've seen of the campaign so far is pretty sweet, too. I like it better then the Golden Realms campaign which was better then the original campaign, so yeah.

madmac fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 11, 2015

• Locked thread