Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zore posted:

I think Warbreed could get some fun stuff to really play up their 'monstrous' nature. Like Goblin Warbreed getting poison spit, or Draconian Warbreed having Flame Aura or Explosion. Elven Warbreed could also be terrifying with Awareness, Inflict Stun (at gold) or Phase. And you could really be a dick by giving Dwarven ones Defender or Break defense.

And obviously Human Warbreed should get swimming and the Kraken ability that makes them super good at killing ships. :krakken:

See these are great ideas.

I mean if anybody should have neat and crazy abilities, it's an unit who's defining characteristic is "monstrous hybrid of your Warlord and whatever he thought was most apt for wrecking poo poo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Krakens are insane right now. I've had a single adult kraken tear through entire armies on the water, like so much delicious candy.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
Halfling Warbreed with Slingshot (Giant Size), throwing boulders instead of pebbles

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Malachamavet posted:

Halfling Warbreed with Slingshot (Giant Size), throwing boulders instead of pebbles

Yeeeeeeeeeessssss.

Also this happened:

:haw: I like to think its looking in the water and seeing its future.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Haven't played this game much since after it was released, going to be pretty interesting to jump back into it after the expansion comes out since there's been quite a few changes since then. Looking forward to it.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I'm downloading the beta. Are those new faction specializations in the game yet or no?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Business Gorillas posted:

I'm downloading the beta. Are those new faction specializations in the game yet or no?

No. Nothing expansion only is in the beta (So no Necromancer, Cosmic Events, Racial Governance, New Specializations, Units, Races etc.) its just what the game will be like for people who didn't get the new expansion. The only changes are updates to existing units (like Goblins replacing Skewers with Butchers, or High Elves getting the new skill Awareness on a bunch of their units etc.) and mechanics that people without the expansion would have access to.

You can see a lot of the details on stuff in the Tome of Wonders though.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Racial happiness is in, so if you are friendly or mean to different races it will affect other towns and AI of that race.

The actual "culture" upgrades and victory for racial stuff is in the expansion though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It's mostly just the rebalancing of the existing races that's in the beta patch.

Which is still really good stuff.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Hey now, there's cool class changes too. Flashbang Engineers are so good.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is there a way to sell extra equipment for gold?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Azuth0667 posted:

Is there a way to sell extra equipment for gold?

If you're playing the beta there is. Go to a hero's equipment screen and put it in their general pool. On the right side three options should pop up, Sell/Send to another hero/drop.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Zore posted:

No. Nothing expansion only is in the beta (So no Necromancer, Cosmic Events, Racial Governance, New Specializations, Units, Races etc.) its just what the game will be like for people who didn't get the new expansion. The only changes are updates to existing units (like Goblins replacing Skewers with Butchers, or High Elves getting the new skill Awareness on a bunch of their units etc.) and mechanics that people without the expansion would have access to.

You can see a lot of the details on stuff in the Tome of Wonders though.

I'm fairly sure I played a game on the beta with Skewers still in the game...

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm very sure I played a game on the beta where the skewers were no longer in the game, and replaced by butchers

Do you still have the skewers? Might be a bug

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Skewers are still around, you just can't build them. They'll appear now and then guarding structures, or as quest targets.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Gerblyn posted:

Skewers are still around, you just can't build them. They'll appear now and then guarding structures, or as quest targets.

Ah, that must be where I saw them.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I want to do big race effort posts so bad, but it's too soon with all the race stuff still coming with the expansion. So I'll just do a quick review of the beta changes, like I did for the classes.

Humans

That +10 production bonus is actually huge. In almost all situations it amounts to your first outpost being able to erect a builders hall in 3 turns instead of 4, and then you can 2 turn a storehouse and yeah, it helps a ton. I also like going human a lot for classes like Sorc that could use a little bit of production to get things out faster but can't prioritize the production chain too much.

Also you'll be seeing a lot more Artic with Frostlings around, and Mariner is going to come into play more with increased water stuff in general, so overall Humans are deceptively good now.

Spirit Ray Evangelists are like probably the strongest variation of that unit, and Mounted Archers with Blessed Arrows are arguably second only to High Elves, so yeah, Humans are good.

Orcs

Holy poo poo Orcs. With War Cry added and Guard Breaker on Shock Troopers Orcs really are the kings of melee now. Orc Impaler with War Cry active basically hits as hard as a Phalanx for one round. Orc Spearman can flank, War Cry, and punch harder then most T1 infantry units. Orcs are scary, man.

It's a small thing, but at 50 GP Orcs basically get barracks for free. One of these days I'll have to try a Greatsword rush and see how it does. Makes the path to Warhall that much cheaper, too.

Orc Hunters own so much, I love those dudes. They're like super fast Heavy Crossbows with shields, decent melee, and a bunch of slayer bonuses. Once they hit gold they get Martial Arts, which makes straight bum-rushing stronger units to burn retaliations a pretty viable tactic. Orc Shamans aren't bad either, because + HP, Punching, Heals are all really helpful for Shamans. Orc Druid is fun.

Orc Priests getting Black Bolts is a nice buff and also a slick callback to the older games when Black Bolts was their thing.

Elves

Ok, the official forums can't stop whining about Elves getting gyped (Because they're nuts) so lets be clear about this. Elves are one of the strongest, possibly the strongest race in the game. All of their units kick rear end. Total Awareness is a crazy powerful ability. In tactical combat your units mostly die to flank attacks. Not being flanked is huge.

Anyway, main change here is Total Awareness on a bunch of supports, most of which are melee or have touch attacks, which is perfect. Being able to go for a stunning touch or entangle without getting instantly flanked to death afterwards is pretty great, and Elf Succubi in particular are pretty mean units now. Elves are great and their racial governance upgrades are a thing.

Draconians

Draconians are so much more fun to play now with most of their melee units getting buffed to keep up with the already strong ranged units and Flyers.

They already had some of the best Assassins/Berserkers with the fast healing on classes that don't have it, the improved wall climbing just makes them even better.

Raptors used to suck, now are pretty great.

Flying Chargers are obscenely fun for a T1 unit and also scary as poo poo. You don't realize how dangerous they are until the first time you have to clear a mine guarded by three of them and suddenly you realize your hero can't do anything but defend because they can do Charging Flank Attacks for 20+ damage (I had a hero crit by a charger for 35 HP once) from almost halfway across the map.

You can do a lot of fun stuff now with massed Chargers, just watch out for Pikes because Chargers will melt on contact. You want to team them up with Crushers, Flamers, or Elders as much as possible to deal with pike units.

Draconian Apprentices were nerfed, but c'mon it was inevitable. They still got AOE stun grenades and Draconians are still one of the best races to pair with Sorc.

Draconian Succubus is also a thing. Succubi have always just about had what it takes to be a good general purpose flying unit except for lovely melee damage. 10/3 melee damage is enough to make them dangerous which in combination with their other abilities makes them really kickass units.

Dwarves

Cheap Siege Workshops, yesssssss, come to me my precious. It not only makes it easier to rush Trebs but also helps compensate for the high production cost of dwarf units. Also Dwarves like cavern walls now, so starting underground is a lot more viable for them.

Armored status on Supports is a much much bigger buff then it appears but you'll have to wait and see on that one.

Defensive Strike is a really good ability. Obviously stupid good for Crusaders but just in general being able to attack and then cover up is good for most of the same reasons that Total Awareness is so good. The difference being that Total Awareness goes on mostly squishy supports while Defensive Strike exists to make tanky units even tankier.

Dwarven Axemen are pretty incredible units with Defensive Strike and Demolisher added. When Golems have nightmares, they dream of Dwarven Axemen hacking them to pieces.

Shatter Strike on Firstborn is mostly a flavor thing, but it does make Dwarf/Frostling team up action hilarious. And hey an actual counter to stoneskin.

Overall Dwarves are really good. All the races are really good now so I'm repeating myself but they're all really good at different things which is why I love these changes so much.

Goblins

I pretty much talked about Goblins already, the combination of extended range on Weaken and having the Butcher to hide behind makes Goblins a lot stronger then they used to be even if they don't have a fancy new race mechanic. Also they have possibly my favorite Racial Governance upgrade, so there's that.

Butcher is an incredible unit, probably the single best pikeman in the game outside the Phalanx or Angel Summons.

Goblin Succubus is also really good now for all the same reasons as the Draconian Succubus.

Halflings

RNG map changes and slower early game benefit Halflings a lot. They have some really wicked synergies with new content, Halflings are still hella fun.

Fireworks on Monster Hunters is the most ridiculously awesome thing.

I like the little melee buff on the Brew Brother, it fits.

Slingshot Bards is also a really sweet upgrade that I've internalized to the point that I keep forgetting it wasn't always a thing.

Good stuff. Really good stuff.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Why are they complaining about high elves, I'm looking through the patch notes and all I see are buffs :confused:

Edit: Is it because they lost some blight protection? In return for one of the best defensive abilities in the game?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

Why are they complaining about high elves, I'm looking through the patch notes and all I see are buffs :confused:

Edit: Is it because they lost some blight protection? In return for one of the best defensive abilities in the game?

Nah. They just don't think Total Awareness is as good a buff as what the other races got, because they don't understand how good it is, as far as I can tell. I mean these are the same sort of people that complain that Longbows aren't good enough, so I assume it's just a touch of elf supremacy as work.

madmac fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 18, 2015

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Judging from all threads ever posted on the official forums they are mad because there is a perceived lack of furries, anime, or titties.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is there anywhere to look up what the racial governing bonuses are outside of the game?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Carnalfex posted:

Judging from all threads ever posted on the official forums they are mad because there is a perceived lack of furries, anime, or titties.

But we already have Tigrans.

Seriously though we should listen to the guy who's a real life ninja. He sounds pretty legit.

quote:

Is there anywhere to look up what the racial governing bonuses are outside of the game?

Not unless there's been a leak. It's expansion content and the full list of bonuses hasn't been revealed yet. I can slip in oblique references to them because I'm a jerk.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

madmac posted:

But we already have Tigrans.

Seriously though we should listen to the guy who's a real life ninja. He sounds pretty legit.

Ahahahaha you're reading that thread too then.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The Thalmor did nothing wrong.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Carnalfex posted:

Ahahahaha you're reading that thread too then.

You can't say poo poo like this without a link. :colbert:

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Dracs and Goblins are better now just by having non-phys damage channels in T1 to deal with the omnipresent Phantasm Warriors.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Vahalla posted:

You can't say poo poo like this without a link. :colbert:

"I may have an affinity to anime, but I also did participate in Ninjutsu for a year once, in which you learn a lot about what samurai and ninja really were"

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/unexplored-theme-races

The thread about facial hair on women is pretty great too.

"give me one reason that my voice is less important then your squeak?"

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/stubbles-for-females/

Is it just me or does "search" and "refresh" do nothing in the PBEM menu when looking for a particular game?

Ah, you have to start a PBEM *before* people can join it.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 18, 2015

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So I guess we're not doing the PBEM game then? :(

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I keep remaking them! They are up to SA Game 3 and 4 now. :haw: 1st one broke and 2nd one was stuck at 6/8 forever. Hence why i downsized. :)

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate

Carnalfex posted:

"I may have an affinity to anime, but I also did participate in Ninjutsu for a year once, in which you learn a lot about what samurai and ninja really were"

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/unexplored-theme-races

Is it just me or does "search" and "refresh" do nothing in the PBEM menu when looking for a particular game?

Ah, you have to start a PBEM *before* people can join it.

Where is my Oriental Adventures expansion????? :arghfist::reject:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Carnalfex posted:

Gerblyn please confirm that ye're fixing the bug the right way.

As in adding this feature to all races.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Has anyone else noticed non-basement races showing up in the underground as indies? I've seen everything from halflings to elves which absolutely hate it down there, which pretty much forces you to burn them to the ground or they'll throw tantrums 24/7.

Also vassals giving you quests to burn down your own vassal cities is kinda stupid. Ties into the same thing that was mentioned earlier about them keeping their own relationships so they get pissy when an ally of their overlord walks through their domain even though they have open borders with the overlord (and can't get open border with the vassal once it becomes a vassal either).

Also also: Seems like the game doesn't put the little crown graphic over a player's throne if they move it into a city in the fog of war? Just happened where one player saw the crown and another didn't (of a third player's city). Got a save if you want it - Though the game started spamming out of sync errors shortly after so perhaps it is less a graphic bug and more of a sync issue.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 18, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Splicer posted:

Gerblyn please confirm that ye're fixing the bug the right way.

As in adding this feature to all races.

Bearded draconian ladies. :getin:

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

quote:

vampire Nazi’s lead by an big boobed catgirl
I don't know, those all seem like great ideas to me.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

madmac posted:

Nah. They just don't think Total Awareness is as good a buff as what the other races got, because they don't understand how good it is, as far as I can tell. I mean these are the same sort of people that complain that Longbows aren't good enough, so I assume it's just a touch of elf supremacy as work.

How do you not get that passive immunity to flanking attacks is one of the most ridiculously amazing abilities you could ever give to something in this game? Do they just autoresolve all their fights or something?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Voyager I posted:

How do you not get that passive immunity to flanking attacks is one of the most ridiculously amazing abilities you could ever give to something in this game? Do they just autoresolve all their fights or something?

The ones who are super MP focused? Yeah.

That ability has made Watchers hands down my least favorite T3 unit to deal with. Fuuuuuck those guys.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Zore posted:

The ones who are super MP focused? Yeah.

That ability has made Watchers hands down my least favorite T3 unit to deal with. Fuuuuuck those guys.

I would expect that Gerblyn would have taken flanking into account in resolving autocombat. If not, then, get on it, G-man! :)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

a!n posted:

I don't know, those all seem like great ideas to me.

I went to see if there was an AoW3 nexus yet. There isn't, thankfully.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Taliesyn posted:

I would expect that Gerblyn would have taken flanking into account in resolving autocombat. If not, then, get on it, G-man! :)

Technically speaking, there's no calculations that go into resolving autocombat, the AI just quickly runs a normal battle against itself and posts the results. You even get replays! Thanks to PBEM, I've been able to experience the thrill of watching the AI take about a minute to resolve a seven stack siege battle and then spend 15 minutes watching the replay to see where I went wrong. (Secret spells man, fricken Great Revitalization ruined me and I had no way of knowing he had it.)

As a result, the main skill in bending autocombat is finding ways to make the suicidal AI work in your favor. Or just bring more dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
When Triumph gives us full on mod tools I'm hoping we get a nexus that is half as magical as skyrim's. Those anime catgirl zombie nazis are going to be in the #1 hot file slot, too. Never underestimate the internet.

The secret to autocombat is never ever ever bring cavalry.

• Locked thread