Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Some more of that quality official forums reasoning:

quote:

Cheetah are OP too. A human berzerker is not worse than 2 civic guard (before you buff them).

Most tigrans are actualy OP. And those who weren’t now are too (hello charioteer).

There are many problems regarding tigrans :
– you can’t say that a cat is a problem without offending the internet gods ;
– you can’t say that tigrans are a problem because they are new and everyone loves them (also work for necromancer and frostlings) ;
– you can’t nerf them because the AI is incredibly bad with fast units ;
– people yet have to find the good tactics and strategies to use them ;
– numbers are irrelevant on this forum, only MP reputation and screenshots are valid “arguments” ; everything else is worthless talks.

Poor tigrans, they are too fast, they must be the most powerful in melee to compensate for this weakness.

Of course I think tigran berzerker have a bit too much, and bear shaman is absurdly overpowered.

Ah, of course. Tigrans are OP because:

1. People like them.
2. They have various issues in multiplayer.
3. People who play multiplayer have no idea what they're talking about anyway, so whatever.
4. No seriously people just haven't figured them out or else they'd totally be dominating in multiplayer, swearsies!
5. People just don't give blatant Theorycrafting the respect it deserves!
6. They totally don't have any weaknesses if you pretend those weaknesses don't exist.

More importantly, gently caress dude don't be dissing the almighty Civic Guard like that. If there's one thing the Goon Tourney has already taught us it's that nets save lives!

In all seriousness, I look forward to the BBB's tournament just because it'll be fun to compare their playstyles to ours.

Also, I'm holding out hope that Janitor somehow gets to maul Bouh again without either person realizing.

http://aow3tournament.weebly.com/war-stories-and-tales-of-derring-do/2-more-warstories-today

madmac fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Well I should have done this a few days ago as I've forgotten a lot of it and didn't take many screen shots but here it goes.

Always happy to see some Necromancer action! You made a few mistakes, but there's always next time. By the end of the first round I'm expecting you guys to all be hardened killers. :p

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hey, people in my group, I finally have some free time and Voyager hasn't responded to my message on Steam, so add me and we can get a couple matches in hopefully!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Azran

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014

madmac posted:

Always happy to see some Necromancer action! You made a few mistakes, but there's always next time. By the end of the first round I'm expecting you guys to all be hardened killers. :p

I'm working on it, sharpening up the knives and everything :black101: . At least next game I should actually have some idea what I'm doing. Been getting a lot more practice in on this one.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Signed up for official forums tourney too. Gonna use nothing but bearded chicks. Win or lose, every game will be a victory. Countdown to rageposts.

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014

Carnalfex posted:

Signed up for official forums tourney too. Gonna use nothing but bearded chicks. Win or lose, every game will be a victory. Countdown to rageposts.

That was my plan! Dammit!

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Don't let that stop you! I'm sure the community will welcome all players choosing to roleplay hirsute wizards. They are extremely accepting of new ideas and varied people.

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
That is the complete impression I got of them. Totally reasonable people who won't go mad over a very stupid thing or something being in anyway different to them.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Open Beta is live!

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/update-v1-52-patch-notes/

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Enchanted Nets are fuckin bullshit

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

•Halflings now build Prototype Party Robots instead of Golems.

•Horned God now has Entangling Strike Ability. No longer gets Entangling Touch on gold (we have a new thing planned to replace it, but we ran out of time for this update)
•Life Stealing can now stack through 4 tiers, Life Stealing (3-5 hp per hit), Greater Life Stealing (4-8), Life Drain (6-10), Greater Life Drain (8-12)

Yes, yes, Yessssss

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Undead and Machine units under the control of more difficult AIs (Lord and above) will now regenerate a small number of hit points each turn on the world map, when the player isn’t watching.

Ha, I love it.

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014

Gerblyn posted:

Open Beta is live!

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/update-v1-52-patch-notes/

Halflings now build Prototype Party Robots instead of Golems.

Ummm what? That sounds awesome.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Hot drat, so many good fixes in this beta patch.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I sure am pumped for my -35% cost double-lifestealing Shadowborn Butchers.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

psudonym55 posted:

Ummm what? That sounds awesome.

I can't look up the stats from work, but obviously Halfling Dread is the new meta, now and forevermore.

Party Robots were a campaign only unit in Golden Realms, Golems with party hats that shot fireworks and dispensed nourishing meals. Best. Unit. Ever.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:siren:

awesome posted:

Cities now have 6 production slots, not 5
:siren:

Ok so it's small but I still love it

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

madmac posted:

I can't look up the stats from work, but obviously Halfling Dread is the new meta, now and forevermore.

Party Robots were a campaign only unit in Golden Realms, Golems with party hats that shot fireworks and dispensed nourishing meals. Best. Unit. Ever.

They're like normal golems, only:

-5hp, -1def, -1 melee
Nourishing Meal out of the box
Shoot Fireworks on Gold instead of Defender
10 mana more expensive

It's kind of an apples and oranges comparison, so balancing versus normal golems is a pain.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

quote:

Tigrans now no longer like Dense Vegetation (just Barrens).
A good tigran nerf, they had a happiness and better chance of a morale advantage over other races besides halfling because they liked two terrain features.

quote:

Hunters now get +1 ranged damage from High Elf Military 1 race governance upgrade as well.
Added Vampire Spider Baby and Tiger to Call Wild Animal.
Added Polar Bear, Dire Panther, Mammoth and Dire Bear to Call Eldritch Animal, removed the Gold Wyvern and increased the chance for Gryphons a bit to compensate.
Reduced the chance that Summon Gargantuan Animal summons a tier 4 a bit.
Horned God now has Entangling Strike Ability. No longer gets Entangling Touch on gold
That's pretty huge for druid, Dire bears from the T2 summons is the druid equivalent of getting a watcher now, and tigers are like a tier 1.5 animal, better early game fighters in exchange for less late game T4's without the new improved Horn Gods

quote:

Frostling Tier 4 Economic bonus is now actually 100 gold off Frost Castle and 25% off Ice Queen as listed (was 50 gold and 50%)
I thought it was a little funny how ice queens were cheaper then white witches with that racial upgrade.

quote:

Life Stealing can now stack through 4 tiers, Life Stealing (3-5 hp per hit), Greater Life Stealing (4-8), Life Drain (6-10), Greater Life Drain (8-12)
Shadowborn necromancer time!
Does this mean that Ghoul Butchers will go from Lifestealing to Lifedraining with shadowborn and necromancer passives?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 12, 2015

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014

Gerblyn posted:

They're like normal golems, only:

-5hp, -1def, -1 melee
Nourishing Meal out of the box
Shoot Fireworks on Gold instead of Defender
10 mana more expensive

It's kind of an apples and oranges comparison, so balancing versus normal golems is a pain.

More importantly do they have the party hats?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

psudonym55 posted:

More importantly do they have the party hats?

Madmac misremembered, they get little aprons and bow ties :3:

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
AWESOME! Never playing anything but Halfling Dreadnaught from now on!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Sorry to Azran and the other guys in my group for not being around much lately. I've been pretty burned out from work but I'm off tomorrow (Wednesday) and I'll be looking to get a match or two in.

PS don't be bothered if I'm online but not responding, I share my computer and frequently leave Steam running in the background.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

madmac posted:

Some more of that quality official forums reasoning:

By the way, this guy is the same person who said this:

quote:

3 months for a turn based strategy game is nothing to see where balance settle. I said it right after the release : we would need a year to see where the balance actualy sit.

We now are a year after, and so many things have changed that the balance is still a mess no one can evaluate.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Don't touch the poop

(but do roll in the official forum mp games, I'm genuinely curious if there's a marked contrast in play styles - although I'm also pretty curious what sort of settings will be used, I look forward to simultaneous turn split stacking arguments)

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

quote:

Blinded can now be dispelled, whatever the source of the status effect. (Previously, blind couldn’t be dispelled if it came from flashbang)
Cardinal Culling is now dispellable by Dispel and Cure Disease

Not sure how I feel about these. Cardinal culling is too good, but having a 20cp spell removable with cure disease doesn't feel too fair either. (Dispell is fine.) Rot's weakness can be removed, but that's also a damage spell.

And it's weird that a physical effect can be dispelled, but it's also confusing to have inconsistent ways to remove blinded, so I get that one.

Other little issues I've noticed:

The description for the new Explorer upgrade that reveals the map is awkward.
There's an extra space after the "Ghoul" prefix for units, so they read "Ghoul  Elf Butcher" instead of "Ghoul Elf Butcher".

fake edit: actually so long as cure disease only removes it from a single unit and not all of them that feels fine.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
Never playing anything but goblin shadowborn necromancers for triple lifesteal butchers

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

victrix posted:

Don't touch the poop

(but do roll in the official forum mp games, I'm genuinely curious if there's a marked contrast in play styles - although I'm also pretty curious what sort of settings will be used, I look forward to simultaneous turn split stacking arguments)

I'm rather keen on checking out their map settings as well, it's something I don't exactly remember from the last tournament.

As for players, judging from the sign-ups so far I'm expecting a small core of well-known multiplayer titans and a lot of newbies for them to crush underfoot.

All joking aside, I do encourage anyone who thinks they have the free time to join in. Let them fear our might!

Oh btw NEW RULE SETTINGS

I'll add them to the list eventually, but little things I forgot about.

1. Set Teams at game creation, it just keeps one player from getting freebie bad boy points by being the first one to declare war or a good player forced to eat the penalty just to attack a scout.

2. Starting Player Distance set to far. Should make you a little less likely to spawn on the same side of the map.

madmac fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 12, 2015

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

victrix posted:

Don't touch the poop

Ehhhh this sort of thing can cause a lot of vitriolic arguments among people that are a bit high strung. Unfortunately the game wasn't really designed from the start with multiplayer in mind. Perhaps the next iteration will incorporate some of the modern improvements other similar games have come up with. Such improvements can improve comp stomps too, having the experience be smooth and responsive and intuitive is something everyone can appreciate.

Having people do things like leave armies halfway between two cities and then poo poo themselves in rage if you attack them because "you're supposed to wait until I say it is ok to attack me" is both stupid and the norm. It is just a product of the mechanics. The only reason you don't see it much around here is that people in these parts tend to be pretty chill, and not try to abuse house rules which were themselves put in place to limit mechanic abuse.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
When do the patches usually make it to Steam?

Thanks! vv

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 12, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

The Royal Scrub posted:

When do the patches usually make it to Steam?

Opt into the beta patch.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bit of a random aside, but a lot of things about AoW remind me of the old good Warlords games. Shame that company went down a puzzle quest hole and never came out :(

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Need to track down the Party Golems picture I made for a Dwarf Fortress LP, this is the best patch ever.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I didn't expect the thread to move so fast!

Voyager I posted:

Build a bridge for it that leads towards your opponent.

ninjewtsu posted:

If I built a road all along the side of the map, with the start point at a Boneyard and the end point at my opponent's throne, would Titans actually naturally take the road and meander their way over?

This is from a few pages back but I was messing around with the AI before my video card went kaput. Roamer AI behavior isn't quite like King/Emperor AI. The latter can definitely tell which cities are under-defended without vision and sends 2-3 stacks in a straight line towards it. It actively recalculates army movements and can stop halfway and change direction without any intel. Roaming AI isn't as smart.

From what I can see, lairs have a certain range where wandering stacks will move around in. It's really obvious with pirate lairs. RMG places deliberately places lairs within range of your starting location, independent cities and clusters of sites, which is why they can snipe cities (encampments in particular, due to concealment) from time to time. A roaming indie stack won't cover half a huge map to attack a city like the class AI and I think it's straightforward - the devs want to make sure that it makes sense where the indies came from so players can triangulate the lair's location quickly.
RMG can throw a curveball regarding placement though. It can put lairs on islands on the corners of the map but those tend to be near treasure sites rather than to threaten cities. Monster lairs can be dangerous underground due to soft cavern walls, they can be inside isolated chambers protecting a good fortress location with spider queens by the time you find them. :gonk:

It's no help against human players but the AI has another quirk where it spends a lot of effort to clear the spawning sites as soon as it can, even if it takes losses. They will use multiple stacks if they have to, which goes some way to explain why they like to fill empty slots with summons, even if they're scouts/wild animal tier. With a stroke of luck you can kill their weakened stacks and eliminate an AI early on. A pretty big stroke of luck, mind you! It'll be rare to have a good sized army anywhere near your scouts.

lurksion posted:

I think you really are seriously discounting the effects of Iron Grip / how easy it is to raise happiness in the early game / how much of an impact city happiness has. Iron Grip guarantees a 2 level jump in city happiness. Content -> Very Happy is a 33% difference (0->33). Happy -> Cheerful is slightly higher at a 35% difference (15->50).

For a bare minimum village with a builder's hall and a single gold mine (45/20 base production/gold), that's a difference of
~ 15 production / 7 gold / 87 population growth

Since you bring up Mana Fuel Cells, this is easily comparable to its 20 production, and furthermore it scales with better city cites and size. Got a research site or mana nodes? More mines/quarries/magma forges? Then it outclasses Mana Fuel Cells. Of course, IG does suck on outposts without any bonus tiles where MFC are really good (but why the hell would you ever have an outpost with no bonus tiles?).

Your other methods of raising city happiness take time. You're not going to get to terraform until the midgame, and the happiness buildings are absolutely never a priority and also have to wait for midgame. Iron Grip is a good spell(tm) and absolutely a priority on the appropriate cities in the early to mid game.

Since I'm interested in early game action I'd really like to do some testing around this. It is pretty easy to get early game happiness due to how city size changes the happiness values of tiles. It's possible to get 150 happiness from ~12 tiles which isn't hard without terraforming. With other factors like victories, a city can hit very happy within the first dozen turns.The wiki is really rubbish about elaborating on this kind of detail in one place so I think a writeup is warranted, hopefully I can do it soonish. I admit IG would have a big impact on a small 1v1 setting but I don't think that's the best place to showcase class strengths and weaknesses.

In relation to MFC, I'm still not really sure IG is great as you think. Once you've tapped out on happiness, IG loses its value; I think it could probably use a second effect. MFC can make a mana/gold/knowledge rich but production poor location (a suitable fortress site) worth settling. It makes a poor starting spot salvageable. The former is really important (even if you can only fit in a builder <15-20 turns in the game) when you really need to use a settler or have to choose a safe location. Certainly a city with an ancient ruin or a spring of life on favoured terrain will benefit a lot more from MFC than IG but what's more unfair is that the dread will get more use out of a city as they scale better with time. The difference is further reduced when a dread can comfortably take expander or grey guard for extra pop growth whereas a rogue will likely opt for a mastery/two adepts + explorer.

On that note, Gerblyn thank you for adding the RG ToW page as promised, giving halflings party robots AND making juggernauts benefit from Enchanted Armoury and Solid Engineering! :3: :black101:

e:Gerblyn, what does this mean?

quote:

Fixed an issue where looping production would allow you to get multiple settlers at half price

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 12, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Reverted changes that made defenders on Normal Mana Nodes tougher

I missed that, that explains why I been shying away from clearing mana nodes for a long while, 10 mana ain't worth dealing with 2-3 phantasm warriors.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Reverted changes that made defenders on Normal Mana Nodes tougher

I missed that, that explains why I been shying away from clearing mana nodes for a long while, 10 mana ain't worth dealing with 2-3 phantasm warriors.

3 Phantasms was the worst. I was playing Goblin Dreadnaught, and had virtually no non-physical damage. I literally couldn't clear the mana node without losing 2 units from my starting army after 6 or 7 attempts, I hate to think of the butchery that you'd have gotten with Autocombat.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

3 Phantasms was the worst. I was playing Goblin Dreadnaught, and had virtually no non-physical damage. I literally couldn't clear the mana node without losing 2 units from my starting army after 6 or 7 attempts, I hate to think of the butchery that you'd have gotten with Autocombat.

Speaking of goblins, I think there need to be a few more buffs tossed in :getin:

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Stacking lifesteal is a stealth buff to Goblin necromancers/shadowborn.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

Also I am sorry to say this but I am a bit wary about the participation of NINJEW. It seems that everyone else here is just trying to have fun and winning is rather unimportant while he is a total tryhard that kinda breaks all and any immersion.
I don’t mean to be offensive but I am honestly not thinking that he is the right person for a relaxed game with fun as the highest priority…

The poop does not appreciate my attempt to engage with it in honorable combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Congratulations on your villainous reputation.

• Locked thread