Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

This fucker put lucky on god drat Cthonic Guardians and I am immediately pissed off at Orange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I'm just happy to see Guardians used in an MP match, they're so drat rare. They're my favorite out of all three Angel Summons.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

That game taught me just how amazing Golems are, they actually do scale into the late game because if you develop your cities more, you can get more medals on them, and Golems get INSANE when you pile on the medals.

With Human RG4, I was able to produce gold Golems in my cities. That's a Golem with Defender and Guard Breaker, mass produced! Those drat things had 26 defense in Guard Mode after Shield of Dispassion, and I could use them to make nearby guarding units vulnerable.

If it was possible to get RG4 consistently within a game, I'd build a whole gimmick around this.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

a!n posted:

Eador basically has a tech structure like you're describing. You have a slew of possible tier 1 buildings you can build, but may only get 4. Only then may you start constructing tier 2 buildings. This rule is the same for unit production, magic guilds, retailers (where you buy equipment for heroes) and to an extent economic buildings. It works well for the game, but for it to work with AoW3 would require some careful adjustments.
The two page research window is a pretty heavy restriction on what can be done with research. I also think it's a huge contributor to the general new player confusion about how research actually works. Having four pages, one per category, would vastly improve things.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

ninjewtsu posted:

That game taught me just how amazing Golems are, they actually do scale into the late game because if you develop your cities more, you can get more medals on them, and Golems get INSANE when you pile on the medals.

With Human RG4, I was able to produce gold Golems in my cities. That's a Golem with Defender and Guard Breaker, mass produced! Those drat things had 26 defense in Guard Mode after Shield of Dispassion, and I could use them to make nearby guarding units vulnerable.

If it was possible to get RG4 consistently within a game, I'd build a whole gimmick around this.

This is what excited me the most before the EL patch dropped, because it was going to happen and Gerblyn was made aware of the medal stacking too late to make changes! It takes too long, as I quickly found out. :eng99:

I think RG is an awesome concept but it doesn't mesh well with the military victories of AoW3. The game speed and the mobility of units means in MP it's always the stage where people lose very quickly. If the game could somehow be undecided at turn 100 without being hideously stagnant...well it'd have to be slower like Civilisation. Maybe AoW4 will see adjustments for longer games.

Games on extra large maps do not count, okay. :colbert:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I've been doing SM guides for so long that I've really gotten the itch to write about AoW 3 instead, especially now that things have pretty much settled down in terms of patching so I don't have to worry so much about being made obsolete in two days. So I'm starting a new series, this time focusing on Class/Race combos!

Basically the same thing I did with Necromancers before EL came out but with every class and a bit more depth. I'm starting today with my favorite class Archdruid Race Combos because frankly it's the easiest for me to knock out.

Human Archdruid Flipper Noises

Human Archdruid is frankly a weird combo I in no way recommend for normal use. Their Racial Archers and Supports are not particularly suited to employing en masse, and their Class Unit variants are pretty far from top tier. Even their RG bonuses are kinda eh. (More on that later)

On island or continent maps however, Human Druid's start to look a bit interesting. Mostly because Human Hunters get Water Concealment and nets, which is a completely unique ability combo. Water Concealment blows away most other forms of concealment when it's relevant because dude, you can normally check the bushes and it's not a huge deal, but when half the map is water those Hunters could be literally anywhere at any time and it would take a miracle to stumble into them before they make their move.

This is somewhat balanced out by Human Hunters being not especially good at shooting or taking walls, of course. Air Adept might not be a terrible idea and I don't normally suggest it for Druids.

Also, they have nets. Running archers into melee is not what would normally be considered a pro-strat, but Human Hunters don't shoot that great anyway so it's situationally useful. In particular it's actually brutally effective against embarked units, which combos nicely with the fact that Humans in general are huge assholes in water battles. Basically if you irritate someone enough to actually embark against you, you win the game.

Human Shamans are completely vanilla, but at least the slightly lower base price and Human production bonuses means you might be able to pump them out faster and they do complement your swimming hunters quite well although they do give up Water Concealment. (They should seriously at least get Water Concealment.)

In terms of RG bonuses, I'd say Econ 1 and 2 became especially tempting, since why are you even playing this if there isn't water everywhere and your Hunters already have nets. Champion is just meh all around (I think Human heroes get the damage bonus, though?) 4 is OK, 5 is +1 all stats for your Hunters and Shamans if the game somehow reaches that stage.

So yeah, you're Flipper. Don't go Dolphin on desert maps, please. Just don't.

Draconian Archdruid Only You Can Start Forest Fires

It's hard to remember these days, but waaaay back in the day Draconians used to be considered the second best Druid race after Elves. They've picked up a lot of competition since then, but Drac Druid is actually still very strong and easily overlooked.

Like every other Drac combo, you big bonus here is fire damage on everything. It's a huge boost to Druids though, because normally they're badly tied down to easily countered Physical and blight damage on almost everything. Your Flamers and Elders are both very potent units that are worth mixing into your main stacks for additional firepower, though of course they're unsuited for stealth tactics.

Draconian Hunters are completely unremarkable, their only real selling point is that you can (and often should) combo them with Elders for that sick +5 fire damage on ranged attacks. Hunters with Fire Arrows are glass cannons but they are good at what they do. Not really something you can raid with though, and the need to mix Elders in is sort of the Drac Druids achilles heel in general.

Overall I'd suggest using Hunters fairly sparingly as mostly scouting and light harassment units and focus on getting an early temple for Elders instead. Later on you can transition to Shamans and have the best of both worlds.

Draconian Shamans are actually unique, being the only unit in the game with two primary and equally powerful ranged attacks. Being able to swap between Fire and Poison bolts at will makes Drac Shamans incredibly versatile and able to do consistent range damage to almost anything. Given that Shamans are already one of the most versatile units in the game, you can basically do no wrong building a bazillion of these guys.

In terms of RG upgrades, Drac Druid is actually very interesting. Either RG 1 bonus is good, though if you're planning to use Flamers at all it's hard to turn down Mil 1. Econ 2 is always good assuming you didn't get screwed out of magma forges, and both Champion Upgrades are awesome. Econ 4 and 5 are also very good. You don't have a single bad RG bonus, basically.

Note that Drac Shamans with the 20% discount are like 136 production. Throw in Econ 2 and you have a very good possibility of making 1 turn Shamans a reality.

Go heavy on supports, burn everything, rack up insane RG bonuses, done.

Dwarf Archdruid Can't stop, Can't stop the Rock.

So, Dwarf Archdruid used to be utter poo poo, there's no way around this. With the various changes made in EL they now at least have some unique selling points, but I couldn't tell you how good it really is. I need to force myself to give them a go, I suppose.

So Dwarves are the race build around being slow and tanky and not great at ranged combat and man does that describe Dwarf Archdruid to a tee. Rather then hitting the Archery Range, the Dwarf Hunters and Shamans went armor shopping instead and well, that is totally a thing that happened.

Dwarf Hunters have 11 Def 10 Res, and Mountain Concealment. (And armored, of course.) So while they don't have any damage output worth bragging about, throw in a crystal tree, which are everywhere underground so why wouldn't you, and congrats, you have 13 def 11 Res Archers. 15 Def with Meteoric Armor!

Dwarf Shamans are the same deal: 13 Def 13 Res, and armored. With all upgrades you could make that 17 Def and 14 Res because holy poo poo Dwarves.

I have not played Dwarf Druid, I have no advice except probably go heavy on Forge Priests like you always do, build some of those T3 Melee stats Shamans, and just holy poo poo Dwarf Druid is weird. Do you start using your ranged units to tank for your animals at that point?

Frostling Archdruid Yes this build also has White Witches

I'm actually rather fond of Frostling Archdruid and use it fairly often in PBEM games. Like with most Frostling combos you're banking primarily on your insanely powerful racial supports and RG upgrades. In the case of Druids, this means you can mass White Witches and Ice Queens and have them zoom around the map. This is kinda powerful for obvious reasons.

On the Archer side, it's a bit more complex. The Frostling Harpoon thrower is in most respects simply better then Frostling Hunters. They have more HPs, an overall better ranged attack, and act as a light CC/Anti Cav unit, which is not something any other type of Druid can pump out to support his normally squishy and Cav vulnerable Archer/Support armies.

On the other hand, you still need to build Hunters, because Harpoon throwers can't match their water mobility or stealth outside of Arctic Domains. Frostling Hunters get Arctic Concealment and nothing else, but much like Draconian Hunters you can always combo them with Witches (who can keep up with them on water) for the triple channel ranged attacks. They're not your best unit but you'll be using them anyway to some degree.

Frostling Shamans have Frost Bolts and Inflict Chilling. They are up there with Drac Shamans in terms of being an actual viable ranged unit and in this case lose a bit of damage type versatility for having the best raw ranged damage potential of any Shaman.

I won't even talk about Frostling RG bonuses other then to point out the Mil 5 Frostling Shaman with 10 base ranged damage and Frost Aura because hahahaha. Frostlings are really good, guys.

High Elf Archdruid Legolas Killing the Oliphant

All you need to know about High Elf Archdruid is that is the overall strongest Druid and default choice for a bazilion reasons. The race and class just have perfect synergy and it's the best choice for learning how to play Archdruid before moving on to the more specialized tactics (Like facetanking archers) that other races employ.

Goblin Archdruid Making the World a Blighted Hellhole ruled by Spiders and Trolls, one step at a time.

Goblin Archdruid is a bit nuts in ways that defy easy description. Just throw away your normal conception of Druid tactics and play Ultimate Goblin Survivor Edition. Take Destruction or Water Mastery to doom the world, swarm everywhere with your fast, cheap, squishy archers and supports, summon lots of spiders, and have fun.

Like every other race that has a strong racial archer and weak Hunter, you're going to be mostly building Swarm Darters and using Hunters to scout. If nothing else I suppose Gob Hunters give you a pure physical range option for dealing with undead and other blight immune enemies. They also get wetlands concealment, so yes Water Mastery is kind of hilarious for you.

Goblin Shamans have boosted range damage (10 Blight) and inflict Noxious Vulnerability. When I said Frostling Shamans were the best ranged attackers, well...they still are but Goblin Shamans are pretty nuts against anything not shielded from Blight Damage, and you got Witch Doctors for that anyways.

Trolls are the secret third class unit for Goblin Archdruid, though you'll only get them in very long games. Tamed Trolls are monsters! That means they get reduced upkeep, mind control immunity, +2 Res and are eligible for Savage Rage just like any of your summoned animal friends. Goblin Druid Tamed Trolls are maybe the best T3 units in the game.

Goblin Druid in a nutshell:

1. Swarm Darters
2. Uh...Spiders?
3. ?
4. Super Trolls you win yay!

Halfling Druid Picnic in the Rain, and loving it

Halfling Archdruid has always been a very interesting and under the radar combo. It has one really huge thing going for it and everything else builds off that: One with the loving Elements.

One with the Elements is a cheap global that doubles positive terrain bonuses while cutting negative modifiers in half. It's let make everyone super loving happy all the time for 50 CP. Seriously, for Halflings it's just that good.

Otherwise, Archdruid is already good for Halflings because all your class units are ranged, and your summons are melee. Halfling Archdruid is a combo that proves that the little things in life are all you really need.

Halfling Hunters are pretty decent to start with, having the Halfling +1 ranged bonus, Lucky, and Monster Slayer at start for easy clearing. All Hunters get Monster Slayer eventually, but it's a solid early game edge, don't knock it. Throw in Scales of Fortune (Because you're Halfling, so obviously) and they're pretty all around respectable archers.

Halfling Shamans get Minor Bard Skills, which is expected but combined with the one true spell allows things to get pretty crazy fast, especially with a Dread or Theocrat hero leading for even more morale.

For RG bonuses, you're probably hitting the econ tree early, but do pick up Very Lucky Eagle Riders, those are always worth having. I also prefer Econ 5 over Mil 5 in most cases, it's unbelievable the late game econ Halflings have when they're getting multiple festivals and auto-completions every turn forever.

And that's basically it. You can also throw in Jesters and Brew Brothers but you don't hugely need them for anything in particular. Halfling Druid is misleading in how straightforward it is.

Orc Archdruid Hunter...Smash?

Orc Archdruid is a really cool but weird combo that I haven't decided yet how impressed by it I am. It's not great synergy, on multiple levels, but the stuff you do get is just so cool.

Orc Hunters are awesome! This is not me saying they're the best Hunters, not at all, but they are deceptively powerful in a lot of ways. Orc Hunters are almost more irregulars then Archers, they're functionally almost T1 shield infantry with heavy crossbows and war cry. If that sounds incredibly good for clearing, that's because it totally is. Orc Hunters are IMO the strongest early game Hunter variant for either clearing neutrals or small skirmishes with most units.

That said, the usefulness of Orc Hunters starts to trail off as the game goes on. Being pretty tough for a T1 unit doesn't mean poo poo in the long run and irregular tactics just don't work as well with large formations. You always want some Hunters around regardless of race, even just for scouting, but they'll definitely not be your mainline unit forever.

Orc Shamans are also fairly interesting. They don't technically have anything unique except dual channel Black Bolts instead of pure blight damage, but the Orc Racial statline is just a good fit for Shamans. More HPs, more melee damage, faster Healing, are all pretty good things to have. They still anything special overall but they are well worth building.

Orc RG upgrades for Druid are...uh, you can just go straight econ, I guess?

Unlike Dwarves I have actually played Orc Druid a couple of times and I'm still not sure how to rate it. It's a fun change of pace if nothing else.

Tigran Archdruid More Beast than Man

Tigrans are pretty much the #2 Archdruid race right behind Elves, for a variety of reasons. They have very good Hunter and Shaman variants, good racial units, good thematic style, just cool and powerful in general though I find some of the RG choices a little iffy for Druid.

So here's the deal with Tigran Archdruid. You have two types of awesome were-support hybrid ranged/melee units. Use them. Use mostly just them and summons.

Tigran Hunters are, overall, one of the best Hunters. But don't clear with them for the love of all that is holy, I don't know why but they just die all the loving time in autocombat. Throw up a Temple and use Mytics as your mainline unit until Bear Shamans come along and solve all problems. Use Hunter stacks to scout, raid, and back up your bloodthirsty werebrethren with bleed damage in large battles.

As it happens, Tigran Hunters are really good at attacking cities with their wall ignoring throwing blades, so really just be aggressive with them and they won't let you down nearly as much as they will if you use them as an early game lifeline unit.

Note that in general, being Tigrans, bleeding in whatever form works out really well for you. A lot of animals have inflict bleeding or bloodthirsty, so look carefully at them and try to work at least a little bit of bleeding into every stack so you're getting some benefit out of it.

Mystics are, as is well known, very good units. They get Break Control starting, and later projectile resistance and phase. Use them primarily as ranged attackers and break out Panther Form when you need it most. I mean, just play Tigran. It takes a bit of practice to get used to the transforming units especially but once you have a good sense of when to transform and when to hold out you'll do very well with them.

Oh, special note on were-units. Mystics in Support Form get all of your support upgrades. Mystics in panther form get all your animal upgrades, and can be awakened, Raged ect like any other animal. This is true for Bear Shamans as well. Use this knowledge wisely.

Bear Shamans are insane and you want them out relatively early. They're also ungodly expensive (150 gold 40 mana 190 production) and don't have Awaken Animal and their ranged attack is awful relative to what you pay for them so unlike every other type of Shaman there's little point using them in mixed Shaman/Animal stacks. Instead stack Bear Shamans with themselves, Mystics, other races Shaman (You can awaken transformed Bears) and maybe heroes if they don't slow them down.

Note that while it will cost you a small fortune and a lot of time, you can technically put together an all Bear Shaman sneak stack like you would with Hunters except that it instead of "Suddenly Archers!" it's "And then all of you got eaten by Bears" This is Tigran Archdruid in a nutshell.

Tigran RG upgrades, as mentioned, fairly meh for Druid. You'll be taking econ mostly so just suck it up. Consider taking Military 3 for Sphinxes though, while they get no class upgrades whatsoever, Druids have no good native access to either powerful flyers or massive fire damage, so they complement your armies pretty drat well.

Holy poo poo that took longer then I thought. If I ever get around to doing this with Warlord it'll have to be part 1-5 or something.

madmac fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 28, 2015

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Well I'll help out with the Sorc one.

Humans: They're good.

Draconians: They're really good.

Dwarves: They're good.

Frostings. They're really loving good.

High Elves: They're good.

Goblins: They're good.

Halflings: They're maybe slightly less good.

Orc: They're good.

Tigran: They're good.

There. Done.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

http://www.hitbox.tv/NINJEWTSUSA/

Gonna be continuing the OF game from yesterday. Only have an hour or two so this won't be very long

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Ge, thanks you two, making me update the OP again. :arghfist::haw:

Orange, your words, they are the truest words spoken.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
What does everyone think about adding some kind of perks at character creation to leaders? EL Sort of did this with hireable premade heroes, though they tend to be minor and rarely do they really change the way you use the hero.

I was thinking more along the lines of stuff that affects overall gameplay for leader perks, similar to MoM leader perks, things that affect overall economy and playstyle. Maybe even have negative perks you could take to get more build points. In fact, didn't shadow magic do exactly this? If it didn't in vanilla I know the big popular mod I played it with must have. Having a point buy setup like that could mean being able to create our own custom hireable heroes in a similar fashion, using more combat focused abilities like the premades already do instead of global strategic changing stuff like leaders. Heck, maybe allow leaders to get combat stuff (or just extra skill points) if they want to forego economic perks. Unlike shadow magic using your leader in actual combat is part of the game.

While I like the idea of leader perks I'm also pretty excited to make custom heroes. Having perks worked into the leader creator could mean being able to do that without doing away with the touches added to premade heroes with EL. Hero creation could use the exact same menu and just block specialization selection.

edit:

People talking about branching or tiered tech that forces player choice earlier in the thread got me thinking about using the same idea for hero skills. Earlier aow games and MoM did this, right? In AoW3 Hero skills are only limited by exp level and how many points they require to buy them. I'm talking about different heroes being better at different things, having access to different skills. Probably the single most important one of these is simply spellcasting, having more CP. In aow3 all heroes start with a chunk of cp for free and the first upgrade or two is cheap enough to splash easily, bringing you up to 20-30 cp. If hero skills excluded each other, had branching trees, tiers, or even increased the cost of other skills it could mean another way to make heroes more unique. In those older games many heroes didn't get casting skill at all, and if they did they had to sacrifice for it. In MoM heroes were even limited in what equipment they could wield, further enforcing squishy casters being squishy, tanks being tanky, shooters being shooty etc. Perhaps something like this would mean being able to bring back multiple spells per turn, since you'd only be able to sling magic if you made a sacrifice to do so? Magic has always felt a bit anemic in aow3 compared to earlier games, which feels totally at odds with a game about dragons and fireballs. It could mean encouraging more focused hero builds if trees gave you a reason to pursue a certain style of hero I suppose. Perhaps make your leader feel more unique by being able to pick freely from all available skills? I'm just thinking out loud here. Leaders in aow3 actually feel less powerful than hireable heroes now with EL since they don't get free bonus abilities. It goes along with the idea of building subclasses that people talked about earlier, being able to choose whether your dreadnought is a heavy armored bruiser or master sniper or skilled (caster) engineer. Though I suppose people were talking about strategic level changes instead of hero skills but the idea is similar.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 28, 2015

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
https://youtu.be/TMDaU4R7kDk?t=1107

hahahah goblins. Also try the video at 14:14.

So Arumba's actually doing a decent job, he's basically starting without any experience from what I can tell and while's he's doing stupid poo poo, he's smart enough that he also is realizing some of the Right Things To Do. If you like watching Let's Plays, it's worth your time IMO.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I am liking Arumba's videos, and given that I've basically stopped watching AoW 3 videos that aren't either multiplayer or people being hilariously inept, that's saying a lot.

quote:

What does everyone think about adding some kind of perks at character creation to leaders? EL Sort of did this with hireable premade heroes, though they tend to be minor and rarely do they really change the way you use the hero.

SM had this but the implementation was kinda awful in the way perks/drawbacks systems usually are. Everyone just takes the best perk and weakest drawback and runs with it.

I'd almost rather prefer getting a random perk at game start along the lines of what heroes already have.

Edit: Dwarf Druid trip report. Dwarf Hunters are apparently unkillable in autocombat. This may actually be a thing.

madmac fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 29, 2015

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Me n' Shifted are gonna be continuing our tourney bout! http://www.hitbox.tv/NINJEWTSUSA/

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Both of you guys GG and I look forward to the AARs!

Also congrats to Shifted for closing the Group C Bracket.

Now we just need Carnelfex and Guild to finish up their match and we can move on to round 2, loving finally.

So sad news is no official tiebreaker because Shifted came through for me. :p

To make up for it, we'll hold a special show match this weekend with whatever stupid rules you all vote for! You Group C assholes get first dibs but honestly the first four people who show up Sat are in as far as I'm concerned. Give me your ideas!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I want an asymmetric game. One player is Rogue, and can not attack with more than 2 stacks at one time, nor have 2 stacks adjacent to each other. Everyone else is Dreadnought, and the first one to score a kill on the Rogue Leader wins

The original idea had madmac in as the Rogue because it was a 3 way tiebreaker and he wanted to jump in just to gently caress with people so I said why not build the whole game around that

I guess it doesn't work as well if one person isn't structured to have 0 stakes though

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Also, my AAR:

Dread Siege is loving bullshit and I hate it

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Yeah I used Dread Siege a lot that game. There's no way of knowing if it's even mildly annoying the other guy, but after hearing that it caused a lot of desertions I'll probably keep using it.

That was pretty much the perfect game to be a Goblin Warlord though. I felt helpless at first, but I think I killed just enough of your momentum with my suicide attack to hang on until I had a bunch of Beetle Riders. It's the only unit I used for the rest of the match and it was kind of unfair.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I am still kinda fond of "Everyone plays Necromancer*" but it needs an extra hook to give it that special zing.

*But not Goblin Necromancer. You have no idea how grindy and unfun that would be for everyone playing.

Edit: I just want to point out that after that game Goblins are tied with Draconians for second most played race after Humans. We do things a little differently round these parts.

quote:

Also, my AAR:

Dread Siege is loving bullshit and I hate it

I think you're forgetting about wandering Archon/Necromancer stacks wiping out all your engineers. Archons OP.

madmac fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 30, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Also, Carnalfex, Guild you guys are now literally holding up the entire first round. Please play this week, otherwise I'm calling it a default and drafting the second round brackets. We really really need to move forward before the tourney stalls out completely.

On the same note, not pointing to anyone in particular, but if you are in to advance in round 2 and don't believe you'll be able to continue with the tournament please let me know in advance so I can arrange replacements. I'm afraid I'm going to have to be a more of a hardass from the 2nd round on so we can finish this tournament sometime before AoW 4 comes out.

madmac fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 30, 2015

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I vote random class/race combos. Neutral fifth party hits up a RNG to determine race/class, no sorcs allowed, all specs are players' choice. Small map, underground, town starts with max level sites/indies/events. Every player gets one veto on another player's combination, that must be used immediately when that combo is generated (as opposed to once everyone's combo is known).

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
This reminds me, Smiling Knight and I should still play that bragging rights match to see who is actually first in our bracket. I suggest we both do some sort of comedy picks TBD so we can save Frostling Sorceror for elimination games for the amusement of the thread. I'm around tomorrow and hopefully the day after if either of those are good for you.

Also hifive Goblin Warlord buddy.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
All human Necro could be fun

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Islands map human archdruids and rogues only

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Voyager I posted:

This reminds me, Smiling Knight and I should still play that bragging rights match to see who is actually first in our bracket. I suggest we both do some sort of comedy picks TBD so we can save Frostling Sorceror for elimination games for the amusement of the thread. I'm around tomorrow and hopefully the day after if either of those are good for you.

Also hifive Goblin Warlord buddy.

Today or tomorrow would work for me. Shoot me a message one evening. I'll try to thing of something suitably crazy, but am open to suggestions as well!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ninjewtsu posted:

Islands map human archdruids and rogues only
Throw in a necro and forbid all talking except for Pirates of the Caribbean soundboards.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
My internet is back to being an unreliable piece of poo poo, and I have much less time now. I'm going to have to forfeit :smith:

Apologies for flaking and thanks for playing everyone, I was really looking forward to finishing that cliffhanger match.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Guildencrantz posted:

My internet is back to being an unreliable piece of poo poo, and I have much less time now. I'm going to have to forfeit :smith:

Apologies for flaking and thanks for playing everyone, I was really looking forward to finishing that cliffhanger match.

No problem and thanks for your participation so far.

And hey if you ever get to finish that match let me know how it goes. :)

Gonna throw up a post with the Round 2 brackets and rules in a bit.

madmac fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 30, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Round 2 of the Goon Tournament is Officially Underway! New Brackets and rules below!

First, small rule change, I'm allowing a refresh on Class/Race choice for the start of the round, just because I want everyone to come out the gates swinging. If you take advantage of this to play Sorcerer 2/3 matches I will probably cut you. Seriously I will cut you.

Secondly, I am going to be more of a dick about playing games. Anyone who goes two weeks without playing is probably going to start racking up defaults, I'm sorry. If this is a problem with your schedule let me know in advance, especially if you need to drop out because I would much rather sub in someone who will play all games right from the start then have to make an executive decision halfway through the bracket.

All that said, here are the new brackets!

Group A

Voyager
KPC_Mammon
Ninjew
Carnalfex

Group B

Smiling Knight
Dick Boss
Shifted
Orange

Like the first round these will be played round-robin, with you having to change your race and class after each game. 2 people will advance from each pool to the Semi-finals, which will be 1v1 best of three matches (No repeat race/class) and hopefully a poo poo load of fun to play and watch.

Good luck, have fun, let me know if there are any questions or problems!

Finally, as requested, here's the final Race/Class stats for Round 1:

Dread 3-3
Archdruid 3-2
Sorc 4-4
Warlord 5-7
Rogue 3-1
Necro 0-4
Theocrat 6-3

Human 4-6
Dwarf 2-1
Elf 3-1
Orc 1-4
Goblin 3-4
Halfing 2-1
Draconian 3-4
Tigran 2-2
Frostlings 4-1

madmac fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 30, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Splicer posted:

Throw in a necro and forbid all talking except for Pirates of the Caribbean soundboards.

I'm kinda partial to this, tbh. For four players, could go Human Rogue, Druid, Necro, Warlord?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's amazing how you organize all this, thank you madmac.

I hope Gerblyn sees these stats, Goblins have more losses than wins! :argh:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Oh, and I know we have a big showmatch and poo poo planned for this week, so the clock doesn't actually start until next week, sorry about that.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Guildencrantz posted:

Sorry to hear that. I'm always around on steam if you want to play again another time!

Madmac, even if the clock starts next week it's cool if we get a head start right?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Carnalfex posted:

Sorry to hear that. I'm always around on steam if you want to play again another time!

Madmac, even if the clock starts next week it's cool if we get a head start right?

Absolutely. Let the mayhem commence.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

madmac posted:

Absolutely. Let the mayhem commence.

You heard the man, everyone fight me.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Oh God I gotta relearn tryharding

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
If anyone needs a training buddy. I am always down.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

gently caress that, I'm going to see what the weirdest gimmick builds I can do are.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 30, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

The real sharkpit begins now.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Are Orcs the worst race?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

The Royal Scrub posted:

Are Orcs the worst race?

-1 Res is a really big price to pay for +1 melee damage and the sort of aggressive melee builds they tend to favor rely on units that transition poorly out of their primetimes.

• Locked thread