Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Thanatosian posted:

Lamar Smith, the current chair of the House Science Committee, believes that evolution is "a lie from the pit of Hell,"

You're thinking of Paul Broun (R-GA) with that quote. Smith is from Texas and there's a reason that you see so many Representatives from Texas and Florida on the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

You're thinking of Paul Broun (R-GA) with that quote. Smith is from Texas and there's a reason that you see so many Representatives from Texas and Florida on the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology.
You're totally right; sorry for confusing my Republicans making a mockery of science. The problem is they all look the same.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Here's your Twilight Party candidate running against Ted Yoho in Florida:

quote:

Rush wrote in an explicit and now-deleted post to another role-player that he "wanted to stick my dick in your mouth to shut you up while I snorted a line off my new machete," before warning "you shouldn’t believe everything that people tell you or you’re going to end up naked and sore, tied to the floor of a van marked 'Free Candy,'" according to SaintPetersBlog.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I love that he's owning it.

quote:

“Clearly, Ted Yoho and his supporters want to talk about anything other than his abysmal congressional record: a vote to fund Obamacare, a vote for the budget, a vote to cut Veterans benefits, and an isolationist foreign affairs policy. None of which liberal-libertarian Yoho is addressing, ” says Alex Patton, general consultant to the campaign.

“Bottom line - There is nothing wrong with being a gamer. It ’ s kinda nerdy, but North Central Florida deserves a legitimate debate on the issues instead of Ted Yoho ’ s usual sideshow distractions, ” concludes Jake Rush.

I also love the use of "liberal-libertarian" to describe Ted Yoho.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Is "libertarian" supposed to make Yoho unappealing to primary voters? They don't all work themselves into a rage on Free Republic.

Also, no one who has ever joked about doing a line has not done one.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Reminder that Ted Yoho had to apologize for getting piss drunk on a Congressional junket and skinny-dipping in the Sea of Galilee last year.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Joementum posted:

Reminder that Ted Yoho had to apologize for getting piss drunk on a Congressional junket and skinny-dipping in the Sea of Galilee last year.

Not before Eric Cantor put him and a couple of other freshmen in an agony booth in his office, reportedly.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Ted Yoho sounds like a pirate's name.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

I hope Yoho is using the picture on the right in campaign commercials without any explanation.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate Disco > 2014 US Midterms: :drac: vs. :yarr:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Joementum posted:

Jake Gothmeister vs. Ted YOLO, battle of the new millennium.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 2, 2014

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I actually am happy that the Republican Party has White Wolf LARPers in it.

Obviously, playing Role Playing games, (live action or not), and other superficial "geek culture" stuff doesn't exactly ensure that someone will be enlightened and compassionate about real policy issues.

Still, all things considered, I think that exposure to any type of "alternative" culture has to give someone more perspective than just being a lawyer in your dad's firm. There is no way to wade through the subculture surrounding LARPing and not have your mind opened a little.

Although, I have to know what Clan he is in. The picture makes him look like a Brujah!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

glowing-fish posted:

Obviously, playing Role Playing games, (live action or not), and other superficial "geek culture" stuff doesn't exactly ensure that someone will be enlightened and compassionate about real policy issues.

Still, all things considered, I think that exposure to any type of "alternative" culture has to give someone more perspective than just being a lawyer in your dad's firm. There is no way to wade through the subculture surrounding LARPing and not have your mind opened a little.

You must not have much exposure to the huge number of role players who are archetypal :goonsay: "biotruths aren't so weird when you think about it" sort.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Lutha Mahtin posted:

You must not have much exposure to the huge number of role players who are archetypal :goonsay: "biotruths aren't so weird when you think about it" sort.

Oh, I know they are there. I know especially that a lot of conservatives that get into these type of things are "fiscally conservative but socially liberal", where they might be a little open to different lifestyles but have no sense of systemic social justice. But all other things being equal, I think that any type of exposure to different subcultures is a good thing. Its the same with Marco Rubio praising Tupac: there is certainly a gap between the culture and the politics, but at some point I think the exposure might pay off a little.

...just don't ask me about Andrew Breitbart and Fishbone. That one still doesn't make sense.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
I remember back in 2012 when the Republicans tried to attack that one state senate candidate in Maine for playing World of Warcraft, and it backfired on them horribly.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gygaxian posted:

I remember back in 2012 when the Republicans tried to attack that one state senate candidate in Maine for playing World of Warcraft, and it backfired on them horribly.

The WoW user base likely dwarfs any possible interpretation of the larper community's population.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Gygaxian posted:

There are more WoW players in the U.S. than there are farmers. They just need more effective lobbyists.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Lobbyists don't work for Code Red cap codes unfortunately.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Michigan's Dave Camp will not seek re-election in the 2014 election. Good riddance.

Article about Camp not running again in 2014. He's chair of the House Ways and Means committee. Fairly prestigious.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/dave-camp-michigan-reelection-105220.html

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 2, 2014

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

He got helldumped, rolled with the punches, then riposted.

Are you sure we don't have goons running in some of these elections?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Joementum posted:

I love that he's owning it.

I also love the use of "liberal-libertarian" to describe Ted Yoho.

This is a great example of how much better Republicans are at the game of politics. A Dem would be tying themselves in knots over this. Their response amounts to "Yeah, so loving what, you prick."

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Just saw this posted on Tony Trupriano's FB page:

quote:

At U of M and just got this notice:

Dear Friend,
I wanted you to be among the first to know that Mark has chosen Oakland County Clerk Lisa Brown to be his running mate. Mark will announce the news at press conferences in Southfield, Flint, and Grand Rapids today.

Lisa is a proven fighter for middle class families, education, and equal rights.

As a candidate, Lisa has a record of winning tough races in Michigan’s second-largest county, and as a former legislator from a marginal district, she has the right experience to be an incredibly effective Lt. Governor in Mark’s administration.

Mark and Lisa will provide a stark contrast to Rick Snyder and Brian Calley on the campaign trail. Snyder will have to defend his record of cutting over $1 billion from education and taxing seniors’ retirement to pay for a $1.8 billion tax break for corporations, even when they outsource Michigan jobs.

Below you’ll find some additional background on Lisa, and some talking points about why Mark and Lisa are the right team to move Michigan forward.

Thanks for everything you do,

BJ Neidhardt

Campaign Manager

Schauer for Governor

This is Lisa Brown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGS9vo1avVg

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

This is Lisa Brown.

:allears: That's my Clerk! Followers of the Gay Marriage thread may recall that she was a defendant in DeBoer v Snyder who sided with the plaintiffs.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Swan Oat posted:

Ted Yoho sounds like a pirate's name.

:yohoho:

Or a skull joke

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

There's running mates in Gubernatorial races? Like, Vice-Governor? How haven't I heard of this?!

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.
Lieutenant Governor, in most states I think it's usually a separate election for this position, but in Michigan it's both of them on the same ticket.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Amphion posted:

Lieutenant Governor, in most states I think it's usually a separate election for this position, but in Michigan it's both of them on the same ticket.
Texas has a separate election for Governor and Lt. Governor, although usually you'll vote for the same party for both. Also, I did a class presentation on Texas politics and holy poo poo is Texas's Lt. Governor powerful. I made up this chart for the presentation, this is what our Legislative Budget Board (IE the guys who draw up the entire Texas state budget) looks like:

It's ten people, five of whom are appointed by the Lt. Governor or the Speaker of the Texas House, who are also members of the board. That means two people essentially control Texas's entire state budget. If you wonder why my state is so hosed up, here's a big reason why.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

What the gently caress does the legislature actually do if they don't even make the drat budget? I'm assuming they can at least offer amendments and the Budget Board just does the first draft or something?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

notthegoatseguy posted:

What the gently caress does the legislature actually do if they don't even make the drat budget? I'm assuming they can at least offer amendments and the Budget Board just does the first draft or something?

Slut shame
Punish women
Protect the sanctity of life

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

This is Lisa Brown.

Nice. LG candidates are usually colorless suits. This lady has got a lot of charisma, that's awesome.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

fade5 posted:

It's ten people, five of whom are appointed by the Lt. Governor or the Speaker of the Texas House, who are also members of the board. That means two people essentially control Texas's entire state budget. If you wonder why my state is so hosed up, here's a big reason why.

I always heard that TX Gov is a figurehead position, relatively speaking, when compared to other governors. This chart would seem to suggest that isn't the case. Where does the figurehead argument come from?

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Query: Are you saying that one coon calling for the hanging of another coon is racist?

Check and mate D&D.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

I always heard that TX Gov is a figurehead position, relatively speaking, when compared to other governors. This chart would seem to suggest that isn't the case. Where does the figurehead argument come from?

This chart shows nominations made by the speaker and the Lt. Governor. The governor has traditionally been a figurehead since he has little direct executive authority, but he does make thousands of nominations to offices around the state. This is what allowed Rick Perry to accrue so much power over time--every appointed official in Texas was picked by him.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Lt. Governor isn't the Governor. In Texas the Governor is a figurehead compared to the Lt., and you're looking at why.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

StarMagician posted:

This chart shows nominations made by the speaker and the Lt. Governor. The governor has traditionally been a figurehead since he has little direct executive authority, but he does make thousands of nominations to offices around the state. This is what allowed Rick Perry to accrue so much power over time--every appointed official in Texas was picked by him.
To clarify, it's the Lieutenant Governor (David Dewhurst) that nominates three people and sits on the Legislative Budget Board. The Governor (Rick Perry) is the one who's referred to as a figurehead, and Star Magician is correct; Perry's been around so long that he's nominated people to many, many important positions, and that allows him to be far more powerful than a typical Texas Governor would be. The Governor does have the ability to use the line-item veto on whatever budget passes, so anything Democrats could sneak in would probably be excised by Perry.

Basically, even though Wendy Davis is the one who's nationally well known, it's Leticia Van De Putte in the Lieutenant Governor's race who will really help in getting Texas unfucked.

E: Sniped by evilweasel, but my post is a bit more in-depth.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 3, 2014

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Indiana's governor actually has a weaker veto pen than Texas'. Indiana has no line-item veto and a veto can be undone by a simple majority of the state legislature.

Since most of the legislation and signing is done after the legislature lets out, it rarely happens since it is a pain in the rear end to call for special sessions. But it has been known to happen.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

evilweasel posted:

Lt. Governor isn't the Governor. In Texas the Governor is a figurehead compared to the Lt., and you're looking at why.

So basically it is like countries with a President/Prime Minister system, where the President is ceremonial and has a few official duties, but most of the wheeling and dealing is done by the Lieutenant Governor?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

notthegoatseguy posted:

Indiana's governor actually has a weaker veto pen than Texas'. Indiana has no line-item veto and a veto can be undone by a simple majority of the state legislature.

Since most of the legislation and signing is done after the legislature lets out, it rarely happens since it is a pain in the rear end to call for special sessions. But it has been known to happen.

what good is a veto that only need a simple majority to overrule? Its basically just symbolic at that point right?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Miltank posted:

what good is a veto that only need a simple majority to overrule? Its basically just symbolic at that point right?

It can be used by the congress to provide deniability to something they really don't want to enact, but don't want to be seen voting against. So they pass it and it gets vetoed and they don't follow up.

That's extremely edge case-y and situational, so in general: yep, its useless.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Miltank posted:

The rightful assumption that many things the executive would wish to veto also won't tend to have all that much support in the legislature. Some unpopular bill passes with say 53% in the legislature, governor vetoes, and then on the attempt to override a couple legislators change their minds and it dies with 49%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

notthegoatseguy posted:

Wow, and I though NC gave its legislature the most power. 3/5ths of the GA overrides a veto.

It used to be higher, but then when the first GOP gov won election in 1984, the Democratic GA and it's LG made the mark lower. Then, when a GOP LG was elected in 1988 along with the GOP Gov, they took away all of his powers, too. It's now a useless position unless the Senate is split 25-25.

Of course, all this was done assuming that while a GOP gov could be elected, the GA was iron-clad. Then 2010 happened and Bev Perdue was forced to retire by having all of her budgets overridden and replaced with horseshit that kept the economy down so Mayor McCheese could have a clear path to power. And now it's 100% GOP so gently caress em.

• Locked thread