Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Long-shot but since I have to miss the DG Boston show I need to get rid of my ticket, if anyone's interested I'd let it go for face - $5 goon discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

What a great picture. From their Facebook page.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

^ Ninja'd like a motherfucker.

EDIT: Found a video to go with that.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

NwahNerevar posted:

^ Ninja'd like a motherfucker.

EDIT: Found a video to go with that.

That's amazing. I guess they're bro's now.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
Hell yeah, a Death Grips thread!

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Suddenly getting No Love Deep Web.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.

Still can't believe I own a copy.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Daaaamn, every time I'm drunk on the internet I come really close to buying that.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
Death Grips is definitely some different experimental rap. I love it.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Don't live in the States, but did anyone turn up to the Chicago gig only to find out that they didn't show up?

Long John Silvers
Apr 17, 2013

Khagan posted:

Don't live in the States, but did anyone turn up to the Chicago gig only to find out that they didn't show up?

Yeah they blew off the Lollapalooza gig (maybe to work on the new album?). They had all the equipment set up and a banner of a Gmail screenshot with this:

quote:

SUBJECT: ready DATE: July 9

I am ready to take my own life. Many bad experiences led me to this dark void that I am locked in. Maybe by my own hands? I don't really care anymore. I just wanted to say thank you for showing me the other side. the side that is locked away deep inside a person. I am mad. Mad all the time and depressed all the time. I can't take it. I'm not afraid of dying but i am afraid that I can't hear DG in the after life if there is such a thing. I don't know, but I hope your music transcends to the unknown. A place where DG's essence exists. A place where art exists. I love art. That's the one thing that kept me alive? this long. So just to ease minds, DG didn't "influence" me to do this. this is my own loving choice. but thanks for making my life a little better. you're my absolute fave and I will fight the gods if they don't allow me to follow DG's efforts can't see Earth. Anyways, continue doing great things. I love you Stefan, Zach, and Andy.

I will be watching.

-AJJ
on it. Weird poo poo.

http://pitchfork.com/news/51748-death-grips-didnt-show-up-to-their-lollapalooza-aftershow-fans-destroy-bands-equipment/

Drake Bate
Nov 2, 2011
they'v never had a history of cancelling shows. they must have really been affected by that note. kind of lovely that the crowd destroyed their equipment.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm sure they were affected but the canceling and all is probably just Death Grips being Death Grips.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Drake Bate posted:

they'v never had a history of cancelling shows. they must have really been affected by that note. kind of lovely that the crowd destroyed their equipment.

Is this post for real

Drake Bate
Nov 2, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is this post for real

yeah? they don't have a history with standing up gigs. and destroying someone else's stuff cause your mad (while a totally death grips thing to do) is lovely.

But now i know that email is a month old i'll give that to you. new album coming out and a band like this thrives on controversy.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

they cancelled their entire european tour to work on no love deep web last year. but i guess they don't have a "history of cancelling shows"

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
They weren't in their area.

When they came out their poo poo was gone.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Apparently they just cancelled their Montreal festival show. I'm getting worried about the Boston show Tuesday now... :ohdear:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Ok now I'm worried for their Austin show as well. gently caress!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Drake Bate posted:

yeah? they don't have a history with standing up gigs.

They most definitely do, I went to a different gig the night they were supposed to play in Dublin a few years back but they never turned up and didn't inform the management that they wouldn't be arriving.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

They're still a hard confirm for gently caress yeah fest, they just FB posted the date.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Drake Bate posted:

kind of lovely that the crowd destroyed their equipment.

How does this even happen? What kind of venue would let that poo poo go on?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Death Grips just cancelled their Boston show. For the 3rd time. Good luck to the rest of you... :smith:

EDIT: Down goes New York.

Killsion fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 5, 2013

Long John Silvers
Apr 17, 2013

Killsion posted:

Death Grips just cancelled their Boston show. For the 3rd time. Good luck to the rest of you... :smith:

And I was just about to message Thoogsby for his :argh:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Long John Silvers posted:

And I was just about to message Thoogsby for his :argh:

Not to rub it in, but I was just about to post asking if anyone wanted it for free.

TRAMAMPOLINE
Dec 15, 2012

i wonder if the band missed the chicago gig to talk to the dude who wrote that note.

destroying their equipment... beyond fail

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Anybody get Ticketmaster refund emails yet?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I got one yesterday.

Rolodex Propaganda
Oct 4, 2003

Fall in love with spines
NYC show is cancelled, I got a refund notice last night.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Um

http://pitchfork.com/news/51802-death-grips-never-planned-on-actually-appearing-at-their-scheduled-shows/

quote:

You may recall that Death Grips bailed on their Chicago show and Lollapalooza set. Before venue employees at Chicago's Bottom Lounge announced that the band wouldn't be playing, pre-recorded Death Grips music played over the speakers, and there was a giant screenshot of an emailed suicide note. They weren't in Chicago, and according to Consequence of Sound, this was the band's plan. Recorded music, an unmanned drum set, and a giant suicide note. That's the show.

The Bottom Lounge's marketing director Erin O'Neal told DNAinfo that Death Grips' management repeatedly said they were "on their way, only to be told by the same tour manager that the stage set up and the Death Grips album being played 'was the show. It appears to us that despite having a signed contract, they never intended on performing last night and instead wanted to leave a room of disappointed fans."

The drum kit that was destroyed was apparently a child's learning kit.

A promoter for the band’s scheduled show in Boston found out this was their plan for the Boston gig, as well. They told Vanyaland it would just be the suicide note, drums, somebody playing music on an iPhone or CD. The band wouldn't be in the city.

Long John Silvers
Apr 17, 2013

I know they aren't supposed to give a gently caress or whatever, but god drat that's pretty stupid. Bailing on their paying fans :smith:

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Yeah, it's one thing to gently caress over a label like they did with the who NLDW thing, but when it's the fans? Bit of a lovely thing to do really.

EDIT: Not that I'm actually surprised. In fact, I'm more surprised they haven't done this already.

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 7, 2013

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
I'm starting to think they actually don't like their fanbase at all.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Bliggers- posted:

I'm starting to think they actually don't like their fanbase at all.

This. Then again if their fanbase is the kind of people who would destroy their equipment for them not showing up, I don't blame them for purposefully trying to lose fans.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'm glad there is someone in music doing this stuff. It's interesting. I just don't want it to, or think it'll spread to other acts.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's much more interesting than Jay-Z performing Picasso Baby in an art museum for 8 straight hours, that's for loving sure

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Noisey went in on DG
http://noisey.vice.com/blog/why-death-grips-not-playing-their-own-shows-isnt-punk

Long John Silvers
Apr 17, 2013

This article is spot on, they aren't being rebellious or edgy, just dumb. Kind of makes you wonder if they'll try it again.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I actually think its really punk to have your fans go "yeahhh gently caress those record execs!! serves em right to get hosed around" and then do the exact same thing to them, its like the definition of punk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

the black husserl posted:

I actually think its really punk to have your fans go "yeahhh gently caress those record execs!! serves em right to get hosed around" and then do the exact same thing to them, its like the definition of punk.

No it's really really not.

• Locked thread