Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Cross thread posting. Buuuut...

A major fire broke out in Hynix.
http://www.kitguru.net/components/memory/faith/hynix-fabs-on-fire-after-chemical-explosion/

quote:

SK Hynix Inc, the world’s second-largest maker of computer-memory chips, suspended operations at a factory in China after a fire.

The company is ascertaining if there are any casualties and investigating the cause of the fire, which occurred at a plant in Wuxi, China, Son Hee Young, a spokesman of Icheon, South Korea-based SK Hynix, said in an telephone interview. The fire, which started at 3:50 p.m. local time during deployment of equipment, was extinguished by 5:20 p.m., the company said in a statement today.

The factory makes dynamic random-access memory chips for mobile phones and personal computers.

SK Hynix, which supplies chips to global smartphone manufacturers including Apple Inc., said in July there was limited second-half supply growth for memory chips. Lower-end smartphones will drive demand for dynamic random-access memory, or DRAM, chips in the second half, it had said.

Hynix shares rose 0.7 percent to 28,650 won at the close in Seoul. The stock has gained 11 percent this year, compared with a 3.2 percent decline in the benchmark Kospi index.
With the latest estimates placing Hynix somewhere around 30% of the world’s DRAM production – for Hynix to lose half its capacity in seconds is about as serious as it gets in the technology market.

High performance GDDR5 from these FABs is crucial to the production of nVidia’s fastest GeForce GTX cards, so if you were thinking about buying one – then NOW might be the right time.

Our sources in the Far East have just told us that major memory brands have stopped shipping anything at all, until they know the full extent of the damage and how the markets will react.

This makes sense.

If you are a major memory brand and your warehouses in the Far East, Europe, USA etc are all packed full of product that was destined to be sold as the ‘pre-explosion price’, why wouldn’t you wait a day or two to see just how far the memory price will jump?

Given the profiling information we have seen on Hynix so far, it seems as though the slower cheaper memory in the world will ‘float up’ in price a little, while the performance product pricing will leap up like a leopard.
What does this mean for Laptops? Should anyone on the fence decide immediately?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

PiCroft posted:

I've been looking into starting independent app development and for this I'd like a Mac. Pretty much everywhere I look says a Macbook Air is the shiz, and for an excellent laptop to take down for weeks away at my parents in lieu of taking my big fuckoff desktop it seems like an excellent choice for wanting to play Skyrim and XCOM without bringing the aforementioned beast with me.

It meets all my requirements for power, portability, ability to use Windows and the ability to develop App Store apps etc so my only concern is price.

Configuring it on the apple store gives me a cost of > £1550 for the i7, 512 Flash memory and 8Gb RAM and was wondering what people thought, if this was a good config or if I should lower the i7 to i5 or the memory to 4gb bearing in mind my aforementioned game desires.

I was able to run xcom on my dm1z. It ran like poo poo, but it was turn based so whatever. It's not really a demanding game.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

So here are some specs that I'm thinking for the 430s.

Intel Core i7-3520M
14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900)
NVIDIA Optimus Graphics (NVS 5200M, 1GB)
8 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (2 DIMM)
500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN

$1,048.32

Everything else is standard. Should I be putting as much as I am into the processor or will the difference between the i7-3520 and the i5-3320M be only marginal?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

VulgarandStupid posted:

I was able to run xcom on my dm1z. It ran like poo poo, but it was turn based so whatever. It's not really a demanding game.

I know, it was just an example. I tried running it on my Dell Studio 1558 and it was so frustrating I had to stop.

Maybe Anno 2070 is more apt? Its been a while since I tried playing that on anything other than my desktop.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Bob Morales posted:

Everyone hated the black color scheme of the old ThinkPads. Now everyone is bitching about the gray ones!

Who hated it? I love the unobtrusive black color scheme. It says "I am a notebook, not a fashion accessory." The new look dares us to guess how much Lenovo spent focus grouping the color and name thereof.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

On Terra Firma posted:

Maybe the OP should be changed to reflect some of the recent revelations about the T440s or at least signify that the newer think pads might not be up to snuff with the old ones.

I want to feel one in person before I condemn it, but I'm in the group that's pretty unhappy about the loss of physical nub mouse buttons and lid clasps. I don't really know where to go because even the Latitude 6xxx series doesn't appear to have nub mice anymore.

Maybe a thread title change to "Extra, Extra: Best midrange laptop sucks"?

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

shrughes posted:

There's the Samsung Ativ Smart PC Pro: http://www.samsung.com/us/business/computing/tablet-pcs/XE700T1C-A03US

There's the Lenovo Thinkpad Helix: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/thinkpad/thinkpad-helix/

There's the Vaio Duo 11 and Viao Duo 13: http://store.sony.com/c/VAIO-Duo-11-Ultrabook-Laptops/en/c/S_D_SERIES_PAGE (The Duo 11 is kind of weak in the keyboard/trackpad department.) Not detachable but maybe sufficiently light (maybe not...). Some goon has the Duo 13 and likes it. I like the looks of it.

These are all pretty expensive, things with digitizers tend to be. ASUS's transformer book would look nice, but it doesn't have a digitizer. I have a Thinkpad Helix and I like it. I don't really use the digitizer though. Personally I'd much rather take notes on paper. Using notes is much better on paper too -- I'd rather have paper textbooks than digital ones, too, for the same reason. I definitely wouldn't try to write on a tablet that doesn't have a digitizer, but maybe I'm just a coward.

I've Googled digitizer but I'm not sure the results work in the context you're using the word. :(

I wouldn't really use the touchscreen to take written notes but to draw little diagrams, arrows, circles, etc. For most of my classes, we are given PPTs beforehand so NOT using paper means I don't have to rewrite an entire slide and can just add on to it. It's not really a deal-breaker, since it can be done with a goold old laptop anyway. I do, however, love the idea of reading my notes on a tablet.

Thanks for the suggestions, though, I'll keep an eye out for those! :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

PiCroft posted:

Cool, thanks. The MBA currently has Haswell now doesn't it?
Yes - so it has a 12-hour battery but no improvement in CPU power, and a 10-15% improvement in GPU.

Loucks posted:

Who hated it? I love the unobtrusive black color scheme. It says "I am a notebook, not a fashion accessory." The new look dares us to guess how much Lenovo spent focus grouping the color and name thereof.

I loved it. Classic and powerful. But they look like they have since the 90's so people bitch about them being grandpa laptops when you could get a shiny Sony or HPple.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

Everyone hated the black color scheme of the old ThinkPads. Now everyone is bitching about the gray ones!

I dunno who this everyone was, but I specifically liked it, it had a certain gravitas and conveyed "this is not a cheap toy" and the silver doesn't have any of that from the pictures.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Zenbook Infinity rebranded as the Zenbook UX301.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/04/asus-zenbook-ux301-hands-on/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedly

Still no word on price or release date, but it looks like you will be able to get it with a GT730M in some configurations.

quote:

Also revealed in that spoiler of a YouTube video: the UX301 comes standard with a 13.3-inch, 2,560 x 1,440 IPS touchscreen. On the inside, it combines a Haswell dual-core Core i7-4558U processor with 802.11ac WiFi, up to 512GB of solid-state storage and Intel Iris graphics -- basically, the best Intel has to offer short of a discrete GPU. If you do need more power, though, ASUS will also offer an NVIDIA GT 730M GPU on some models. Additionally, ASUS will sell a lower-end spinoff called the UX3012 (not pictured here), which will have generally the same design, but a lower-res, 1080p screen. Both will be available in white, along with a dark, navy blue

Anyone know how a 730M stacks up to a 750M? I just ordered a y410p on Monday. Though, i'm betting that the decked out version of this will be over $2k where I only spent $789 on the y410p.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Weinertron posted:

I want to feel one in person before I condemn it, but I'm in the group that's pretty unhappy about the loss of physical nub mouse buttons and lid clasps. I don't really know where to go because even the Latitude 6xxx series doesn't appear to have nub mice anymore.

Maybe a thread title change to "Extra, Extra: Best midrange laptop sucks"?

Dell Precisions and the Latitude 7000 series still have nub-style mice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My 5530 also has a nub style mouse. You just had to choose the upgraded keyboard when you configure it. Dual pointing keyboard is available with the 5430, 6430, and 6530 as well.

You have to go the fully customized route and don't pick any of the quick ship options. Only one of the latitude line that doesn't seem to have it is the 3330, but that's like because you can't do a customized build.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

bull3964 posted:

Anyone know how a 730M stacks up to a 750M? I just ordered a y410p on Monday. Though, i'm betting that the decked out version of this will be over $2k where I only spent $789 on the y410p.

Here's GPUBoss' take on the 750 vs the 730: the 750 has a faster clock and, more importantly, a bunch faster memory.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a very crude chart with the 730M and 750M on it (near the bottom) about 4 posts down from the OP

730 gets ~41fps and 750 gets ~46fps in BF3 @ med. 1366x768 medium 4xAF

The 730 is about 6 months old and the 750 is about 3 months on the market now.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Meltycat posted:

For those curious, it appears that the W540 will have the same questionable design choices "excitement and appeal of a consumer designed laptop":

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/w-series/w540

I was hoping that they'd decide to at least keep the trackpoint buttons, but no luck. I don't understand why companies don't see their rush to clone the Macbook Pro/Air look as free advertising for their competitors... the Lenovo isn't as blatant as say, some systems from HP, but it looks like they are slowly edging their way there. Honestly, I don't care about the color, but if they remove what made the Thinkpads special (great trackpoint, keyboard with tons of function keys, "sturdiness" features like the hinge/latch, little niceties like the indicator lights) while falling behind in other areas (still no Retina-quality displays), I don't see any reason not to get a Macbook Air or a (Retina) Macbook Pro other than maybe saving a few dollars on price (which could probably be made up by the Mac's better resale value).

I was so hoping for a more rugged/durable W with the new "design language" and trackpad if need be, but the added benefit of clamshell and lid locking - which would just enhance the value of this thing so much.

But yeah, apparently
"I want to compute some poo poo, but I want to look good doing it" is the new W540 motto. True to their heritage - after all Thinkpads became famous for being so drat good looking (all black and unwieldy) and not for things like robustness, which is for people not sitting in a artisan coffee shop (new Lenovo target group for thinkpads. Truly, the premium lifestyle market - I can't think of any competition there hmmmm).

Ugh Lenovo.
You can do whatever with the looks, no one gives a poo poo. If it looks better, fine. But Thinkpad customers don't buy it for the looks. Then we'd all be getting Macs.
But sacrificing function for looks like you did, gently caress you, wrong direction.

Case in point:

shrughes posted:

The trackpoint without physical buttons works perfectly well, with the exception that you can't configure the middle button to be a middle click without going into the registry.
lol what the hell

Weinertron posted:

I don't really know where to go because even the Latitude 6xxx series doesn't appear to have nub mice anymore.

What? Of course they do.

Edit: Please tell me they do Im gonna kill myself

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 4, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hadlock posted:

There's a very crude chart with the 730M and 750M on it (near the bottom) about 4 posts down from the OP

730 gets ~41fps and 750 gets ~46fps in BF3 @ med. 1366x768 medium 4xAF

The 730 is about 6 months old and the 750 is about 3 months on the market now.

Looks like it averages about 20fps higher on Bioshock Infinite across the board which is my personal benchmark, ok my faith in buying a y410p is not shaken.

Boner Slam posted:

What? Of course they do.

Edit: Please tell me they do Im gonna kill myself

See above, they do, just have to do a custom build.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think with the Dell 6xxx series you just have to swap in a clit mouse keyboard. Might need to double check that though. It is a BTO option, but doesn't come standard because Dell are assholes like that.

bull3964 posted:

Looks like it averages about 20fps higher on Bioshock Infinite across the board which is my personal benchmark, ok my faith in buying a y410p is not shaken.

Everything averages about 20fps higher across the board. BF3 is your best worst case scenario for a bad console port.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
These Vaio Flips look pretty sweet, and I hate Sony products. I'm holding out for anyone else to come out with something comparable better, but I may have to bite the bullet.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Check out the Yoga 13 and Yoga 11s if you like that style of laptop. Both are very well built with excellent screens. The Yoga 13 comes with a second (empty) mSATA slot for dual SSD madness :black101:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So Sony has what now? 4 kinds of convertibles?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sony's target market is the 3D movie and touchscreen laptop crowd. I'm just waiting for them to release a 17" 1080p convertible tablet with intergrated MiniDisc drive, BluRay and MemoryStick port, named the "Vaio WalkMan".

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
drat these release timetables pushing things towards October and November! :( I am keen to invest in a very solidly performing laptop to essentially replace my desktop at work and function for writing and other projects at home, but with everything right on the cusp of flipping over to significantly improved hardware in just another month or two, the timing seems tight. My quandary is that at the end of September I'm going on a longer-than-the-norm business trip and will be spending a lot of time in the air, on the road, etc.--and having a good laptop for that would be fantastic. I've got a tablet I can take with me and I've got a little bluetooth keyboard for it, so I can still make do--it would just be much preferable to be cracking on a proper laptop; the last one I bought was a tiny ASUS netbook years ago which still has Windows XP on it and takes almost two minutes just to crank out of hibernation let alone boot.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

Hadlock posted:

Check out the Yoga 13 and Yoga 11s if you like that style of laptop. Both are very well built with excellent screens. The Yoga 13 comes with a second (empty) mSATA slot for dual SSD madness :black101:

No digitizer, correct? That's on my must-have list. A second drive slot would be baller, though.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rooster Brooster posted:

These Vaio Flips look pretty sweet, and I hate Sony products. I'm holding out for anyone else to come out with something comparable better, but I may have to bite the bullet.

I really liked the haswell tablet until I got to the 6h advertised battery life.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

GaistHeidegger posted:

drat these release timetables pushing things towards October and November! :( I am keen to invest in a very solidly performing laptop to essentially replace my desktop at work and function for writing and other projects at home, but with everything right on the cusp of flipping over to significantly improved hardware in just another month or two, the timing seems tight. My quandary is that at the end of September I'm going on a longer-than-the-norm business trip and will be spending a lot of time in the air, on the road, etc.--and having a good laptop for that would be fantastic. I've got a tablet I can take with me and I've got a little bluetooth keyboard for it, so I can still make do--it would just be much preferable to be cracking on a proper laptop; the last one I bought was a tiny ASUS netbook years ago which still has Windows XP on it and takes almost two minutes just to crank out of hibernation let alone boot.

Isn't the new Haswell Macbook Air available now?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GaistHeidegger posted:

drat these release timetables pushing things towards October and November! :(

Idle speculation, but Microsoft is getting ready to move heaven and earth by relaunching Windows 8 as windows 8.1 on Oct 18.

They're even delaying the launch of their server products to coincide with their consumer product, something they've never done before.

Something about losing a billion dollars on the failed Surface RT launch and (most) everyone hating the metro interface.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Cream_Filling posted:

Isn't the new Haswell Macbook Air available now?

I'm still a little bit cagey about making the jump from a windows machine to MacOS, but other than that the Air does seem like pretty sweet hardware; I've had someone recommending to me to wait for the next operating system revision before jumping for a MacBook, which -also- seems to be on the October/November timetable. I'd also like to poke at an MBP but Haswell is a ways off there still, seemingly.

Hadlock posted:

Idle speculation, but Microsoft is getting ready to move heaven and earth by relaunching Windows 8 as windows 8.1 on Oct 18.

They're even delaying the launch of their server products to coincide with their consumer product, something they've never done before.

Something about losing a billion dollars on the failed Surface RT launch and (most) everyone hating the metro interface.

That would make a lot of sense; in my cursory poking around I was still admittedly peeking around for Windows 7 Pro options on that end. In either camp I'd like to get somewhere between 14 - 15.5", a nice display, good build quality, an SSD and good performance in general but that appears to be a pretty narrow range of options and most of them are 'about' to flip over to better hardware options. That said, it's been a long time since I've been laptop shopping so peeking at this thread the last couple of days has been most of the extent of my more recent looks at hardware.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
My boss wants to get a laptop for his 10 year old daughter for her birthday. He wants something that is good for school work and some gaming (I think she mostly plays Minecraft). I want to find him a fairly stable windows based laptop. Problem is that he's a total cheapskate and will have a lot of trouble spending more than $350 or so, is there something out there worth considering?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Smoking_Dragon posted:

My boss wants to get a laptop for his 10 year old daughter for her birthday. He wants something that is good for school work and some gaming (I think she mostly plays Minecraft). I want to find him a fairly stable windows based laptop. Problem is that he's a total cheapskate and will have a lot of trouble spending more than $350 or so, is there something out there worth considering?
Check the Lenovo Outlet.
http://outlet.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/outlet_us/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=445&Code=LRZ36ZW-3367XF8

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Where's the best place to get T430 ThinkPads in Canada? The Barnes & Noble gold thing isn't available and I feel like a sucker using the Lenovo website. Or am I just going to have to deal with spending ~$850 on an Ivy Bridge laptop with a TN panel. (850 because I'm looking at the screen upgrade, i5 and upgraded wireless)

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Shofixti posted:

Where's the best place to get T430 ThinkPads in Canada? The Barnes & Noble gold thing isn't available and I feel like a sucker using the Lenovo website. Or am I just going to have to deal with spending ~$850 on an Ivy Bridge laptop with a TN panel. (850 because I'm looking at the screen upgrade, i5 and upgraded wireless)

Googled Lenovo barnes and noble canada, and on the notebook review forum, I found this link.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
So is there a consensus on continuing to wait for the T440s? I'm going to school and will be bringing my laptop from home to work to school and back every day. I need it mostly for taking notes and writing papers. I also want to be able to play Civ V or similar games. I have a laptop that will do for 2-3 more months so I don't mind waiting. As far as price, I'm willing to pay for quality and can go up to where you start getting diminishing returns. I think that's like $1,400. My main priorities are (in order):
Transportability
Durability
Battery Life
Screen Quality
Processing power (for games)

I don't care about:
Touch
Trackpad stuff (I rarely use a laptop now so won't have to re-learn anything)
Physical looks of the laptop

Am I missing anything here? The T440s is still the one and it'll be worth waiting for right?

mewse
May 2, 2006

unpronounceable posted:

Googled Lenovo barnes and noble canada, and on the notebook review forum, I found this link.

Yup, password is fndepp

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Lenovo is claiming 12-15 hours battery out of the t440/x240. Please, please don't be fooled- that statistic is just a comment about the hot-swappable batteries that have been part of their laptops for decades. Apparently, the deal is that 2 fully charged batteries will give you 12 hours of battery life, which is drastically worse than the current MacBook Air line and pretty much on par with my x220.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Lenovo is claiming 17 hours on the T440s, so if that's with two 6-cells and the internal 3-cell, you can expect a little over 10 hours on the 440s.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sports posted:

Lenovo is claiming 12-15 hours battery out of the t440/x240. Please, please don't be fooled- that statistic is just a comment about the hot-swappable batteries that have been part of their laptops for decades. Apparently, the deal is that 2 fully charged batteries will give you 12 hours of battery life, which is drastically worse than the current MacBook Air line and pretty much on par with my x220.

Each laptop has 2 batteries: the hotswappable one and the internal one. Unless you mean you have to hotswap in a new one, that's the correct metric.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

gman14msu posted:

So is there a consensus on continuing to wait for the T440s? I'm going to school and will be bringing my laptop from home to work to school and back every day. I need it mostly for taking notes and writing papers. I also want to be able to play Civ V or similar games. I have a laptop that will do for 2-3 more months so I don't mind waiting. As far as price, I'm willing to pay for quality and can go up to where you start getting diminishing returns. I think that's like $1,400. My main priorities are (in order):
Transportability
Durability
Battery Life
Screen Quality
Processing power (for games)

I don't care about :
Touch
Trackpad stuff (I rarely use a laptop now so won't have to re-learn anything)
Physical looks of the laptop

Am I missing anything here? The T440s is still the one and it'll be worth waiting for right?

For your use case, I would say that waiting for the T440s is still the right decision. It's going to have much better battery life, better processing power, better graphic performance, and less weight (so better transportability). The screen quality can also be upgraded to a better peak than the T430. I don't think that it will be as durable or well-made, but I can't really assert that confidently without using it or having trustworthy reviewers take a look at it.

Edit: It pained me to type that because I'm still super pissed at Lenovo for not giving me a T530 with Haswell.

Edit 2: According to Notebookreview's forum, all 15"+ Lenovo laptops are going to include a number pad this generation. Yet another stupid addition/change.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 4, 2013

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
Games on HD4400 will probably suck, though. The T440 will probably use a full-TDP processor and therefore HD5100, so that might be a better pick if you plan on doing anything more intensive than 2D games.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
The MacBook Air has HD5000 graphics, and should provide you with very good battery life at your budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Will the Yoga series be available with Haswell at around the same time as the Thinkpad line?