Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
A question for our time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I need to preface what follows by stating up front that Lando is safe at home and is fine.

I had something incredibly scary happen to me today. I checked Lando into his doggy day care today in anticipation of spending the day with friends mountain biking at a bike park a few hours away. At the end of the day, I came to his daycare to pick him up, and after waiting a few minutes, the staff brings out a black lab mix who looks like Lando, except this guy is smaller and chunkier than Lando, who's lean but a pretty good-sized dog (55-60 lbs or so.) I kind of do a bit of a double-take and think for a second, "Man, I have been feeding him too many treats" when I realize that this just isn't my dog. I bring this up to the staff, and there's a momentary flurry of activity while they try to figure out if Lando is still in the playroom with the other dogs, or if he's been taken to one of the sleeping areas instead.

As it turns out, neither. This dog is the only black lab in the whole establishment, and Lando had been sent home with the wrong owners five loving hours earlier. Trying extremely hard to not burst into tears or start shouting, I let my displeasure be known in a calm, measured voice and asked them to call the other people to *kindly* bring my dog back. They get them on the phone after two tries, and I'm thinking about what sarcastic thing I'm going to say to the other owners who can't recognize their own loving dog, and also what I'm going to say when I get to speak to the daycare owner, namely about how they need to fire the new groomer who gave the wrong dog a bath and mixed two obviously different dogs up when it mattered most. I'm also trying very hard NOT to think about how Lando doesn't like small kids at all, and about what kind of disaster could have happened if he were brought to an unfamiliar place that had kids in it- this and a million other nightmare scenarios that were biting at me. The other owners walk in, and my temper softened a bit when I saw they were an elderly gay couple, probably in their late 60s, and who were extremely confused and upset by the whole thing. They had thought something was different with their dog, but couldn't put their finger on it until they got the call.

I just got Lando and left, and didn't realize that my hands were shaking until I got back in my car. Much to his delight, I bought Lando a bully stick and have been lavishing him with love and attention. I'm sure he just thinks he had a weird day at daycare and doesn't realize how this could have been a major tragedy, but I can barely stop thinking about it.

The day care in question is a very well known one where Lando has probably spent well over 40 days at, and it's also where we board him when we go out of town. The gently caress-up can be traced to one person on their staff, and the clerks working there tonight let it slip that this isn't the first time she's mistaken one dog for another, almost sending them home with the wrong people again. When I speak to the day care's owner, I'm going to ask for the first time in my life that this person be fired. I'm not one to ask for this in most other circumstances, but this could have been a major disaster.

I'm just so glad that my boy is home and safe with me. I don't know what I would have done if he had been lost.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
After working at two daycares my advice is never leave your dog at a daycare.

unstucker
Jan 4, 2018
perfect working place

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One of my neighbors (apartment complex) left their dog out on their porch at night, and now it's raining. I don't think they're even home. He's barking and crying and it's breaking my heart :( What should I do, if anything?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

One of my neighbors (apartment complex) left their dog out on their porch at night, and now it's raining. I don't think they're even home. He's barking and crying and it's breaking my heart :( What should I do, if anything?
Take it in, leave a note on the door

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I need to preface what follows by stating up front that Lando is safe at home and is fine.

I had something incredibly scary happen to me today. I checked Lando into his doggy day care today in anticipation of spending the day with friends mountain biking at a bike park a few hours away. At the end of the day, I came to his daycare to pick him up, and after waiting a few minutes, the staff brings out a black lab mix who looks like Lando, except this guy is smaller and chunkier than Lando, who's lean but a pretty good-sized dog (55-60 lbs or so.) I kind of do a bit of a double-take and think for a second, "Man, I have been feeding him too many treats" when I realize that this just isn't my dog. I bring this up to the staff, and there's a momentary flurry of activity while they try to figure out if Lando is still in the playroom with the other dogs, or if he's been taken to one of the sleeping areas instead.

As it turns out, neither. This dog is the only black lab in the whole establishment, and Lando had been sent home with the wrong owners five loving hours earlier. Trying extremely hard to not burst into tears or start shouting, I let my displeasure be known in a calm, measured voice and asked them to call the other people to *kindly* bring my dog back. They get them on the phone after two tries, and I'm thinking about what sarcastic thing I'm going to say to the other owners who can't recognize their own loving dog, and also what I'm going to say when I get to speak to the daycare owner, namely about how they need to fire the new groomer who gave the wrong dog a bath and mixed two obviously different dogs up when it mattered most. I'm also trying very hard NOT to think about how Lando doesn't like small kids at all, and about what kind of disaster could have happened if he were brought to an unfamiliar place that had kids in it- this and a million other nightmare scenarios that were biting at me. The other owners walk in, and my temper softened a bit when I saw they were an elderly gay couple, probably in their late 60s, and who were extremely confused and upset by the whole thing. They had thought something was different with their dog, but couldn't put their finger on it until they got the call.

I just got Lando and left, and didn't realize that my hands were shaking until I got back in my car. Much to his delight, I bought Lando a bully stick and have been lavishing him with love and attention. I'm sure he just thinks he had a weird day at daycare and doesn't realize how this could have been a major tragedy, but I can barely stop thinking about it.

The day care in question is a very well known one where Lando has probably spent well over 40 days at, and it's also where we board him when we go out of town. The gently caress-up can be traced to one person on their staff, and the clerks working there tonight let it slip that this isn't the first time she's mistaken one dog for another, almost sending them home with the wrong people again. When I speak to the day care's owner, I'm going to ask for the first time in my life that this person be fired. I'm not one to ask for this in most other circumstances, but this could have been a major disaster.

I'm just so glad that my boy is home and safe with me. I don't know what I would have done if he had been lost.

She absolutely needs to be fired, and don't feel bad about it. I wouldn't be taking my dog back there if I had to ask them to call the other owners to get my dog back.

Also does this place not have a paper collar system?! Do they just let Lando and others run free with no ID? I guess she's probably just a special kind of stupid that doesn't care, I can't imagine this place has no fail safe for dog IDs.

Rollo sporting his paper collar like a pro. drat it may be baby hormones but makes me tear up thinking about this guy, him and his sister were so snuggly and I miss them both.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sarah posted:

Rollo sporting his paper collar like a pro. drat it may be baby hormones but makes me tear up thinking about this guy, him and his sister were so snuggly and I miss them both.

Requesting more pics of Rollo. He’s an aptly named doggo.

:)

Edit: And majestic af

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

A new dog park opened up in a town close to me! We finally went, and Apollo loves it. Lots of sniffing and exploring, followed by a lot of fetch and then drinking water and snoozing at my feet. We're home now and he is conked out.

Hopefully next time we go we'll meet other dogs, but heck - this was a good first time, and it was so nice to let him off-leash and watch him play.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

Went for a hike with Chaco yesterday up in Wanaque NJ. Left Agatha at home because she is not an adventure dog. 10+ miles, a 960’ summit, and this jerk wasn’t even winded.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

His sister is Rosie.

I need to turn on my old cellphone for more pictures of pethotel fun. I really miss working there. Working with dogs is infinitely better than working with people.

One time Rollo came in by himself. I worked alone at night and I was so worried Rosie had passed. I was bawling and petting and hugging Rollo. In the year there, they were always together. But Rosie had to have surgery, so he was checked in alone while she was at the vet. Her surgery was a success and the next time I saw her they both got a million treats and I got a million pug hugs.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Chico says, "'Sup."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Weltlich posted:

Chico says, "'Sup."

Coming to steal your girl (or boy, or both).

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Weltlich posted:

Chico says, "'Sup."

Hi Chico!!!!!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Sarah posted:

She absolutely needs to be fired, and don't feel bad about it. I wouldn't be taking my dog back there if I had to ask them to call the other owners to get my dog back.

Also does this place not have a paper collar system?! Do they just let Lando and others run free with no ID? I guess she's probably just a special kind of stupid that doesn't care, I can't imagine this place has no fail safe for dog IDs.

The owner of the day care called me back. It turns out that there were a couple of points of failure here- the first of which was since I brought Lando by at irregular hours by previous arrangement, something got lost in translation and they didn't have his paper collar ready for him. The groomer was apparently at the day care before the regular staff was, so she didn't put two and two together until it was much too late. Also, the owners of the other dog were apparently used to their dog "acting different" after he goes to daycare, and they figured the reason why he looked different was because he had a bath. Yeah, sure, OK. Them not knowing how their dog looks or acts is something that neither I nor the management of the place can address.

The owner was contrite and recognized that there were gently caress-ups a-plenty, and they'll be holding an all-hands meeting to talk about what transpired and how to definitively prevent it from ever happening again.

Either way, I'm activating a Rover account and will be looking at some quiet boarding/daycare options for Lando.

Edit: Hi Rollo! :3:

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 23, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

hey dudes thanks for posting pics of your good dogs

also glad lando is home safe

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Well, you know how people avoid getting their luggage mixed up at the airport by painting something unique on their bag? :v:

Just drop him off next time with "LANDO" spray-painted on his side in neon yellow.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I miss having a dog and if you were close I'd totally steal watch Lando cause he's awesome.

Sarah fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 23, 2018

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I’m off work sick today and this little guy is keeping me company.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Give him everything he wants you monster :3:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
A little brag moment. The elevator in my building sucks and takes long enough to reach the lobby that usually you have a bunch of people waiting by the time it arrives.

I was getting back from a walk with Monty during one such occasion. There was like seven people with groceries and a bicycle in the elevator.

Check out Monty just chillin’ out and being calm around so many people:

Lots of “wow he’s so calm!” going on.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Monty is such a good boy. :kimchi:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So is Timothy

Feel better pupper butler

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Margo also says hello, and is very pleased with herself for finally tearing open her hedgehog

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Wow, Margo rocks

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
This is the only thread that I wish had "like" buttons so I could "like" all these dogs.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Weltlich posted:

This is the only thread that I wish had "like" buttons so I could "like" all these dogs.

Not an empty quote

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Weltlich posted:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Margo also says hello, and is very pleased with herself for finally tearing open her hedgehog

Margo is such a good hound name.

unstucker
Jan 4, 2018
this nose:love:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

mrmcd posted:

Margo is such a good hound name.

I agree. Her proper name is Esteemed Character Actress Margo Martindale, but just "Margo" is a really good hound name

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

I agree. Her proper name is Esteemed Character Actress Margo Martindale, but just "Margo" is a really good hound name

Margo is a beautiful girl and I’d like to scritch those houndy ears :3:

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Requesting an update on cowdog

Cowdog is just out here chillin.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

We went to the dog park again and Apollo wore himself out and he met a new friend named Harper!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

We went to the dog park again and Apollo wore himself out and he met a new friend named Harper!

Post a picture of his friend

I only see one dog in this picture.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

h3r0n posted:

Cowdog is just out here chillin.

:yeshaha:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

boop the snoot posted:

Post a picture of his friend

I only see one dog in this picture.

These might work better, although it's still hard to tell :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

https://twitter.com/dog_rates/status/1021420347135062016