Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I can’t make out the logo- is that a Ruffwear harness? If so, how do you like it?

We’ve got Lando on a Gentle Leader right now and it’s done wonders to minimize his pulling, but come summer, I’m probably going to want to switch him back to a harness so he can pant easier and so he won’t overheat. His old harness was running on him and gave him a sore :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I can’t make out the logo- is that a Ruffwear harness? If so, how do you like it?

We’ve got Lando on a Gentle Leader right now and it’s done wonders to minimize his pulling, but come summer, I’m probably going to want to switch him back to a harness so he can pant easier and so he won’t overheat. His old harness was running on him and gave him a sore :(

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MEG1BFG/

Rabbitgoo harness! We've had it since last April, and I love it. The front is a bit shredded due to a baby pitbull at the dog park (and Apollo chewing on it doesn't help - he likes to play "grab the front ring") but it's still sturdy and secure. We had to add a metal clip to the clip (as pictured in the photos) because if Apollo twisted just right, the leash (or tether) would pop off.

So it's needed a few tweaks, and he only wears it when we go on walks in town, but it's a lifesaver. The handle on the back is perfect for when he wants to jump on people, and it does reduce the pulling, thus making walks in town possible. (It's kind of funny - Apollo in the miles around home? No big deal, he'll only pull if there's something exciting happening. But take him to town? 1000% pull why aren't we EVERYWHERE already yet)

The clip on the front does work, and it does turn him around, but I prefer the top clip thanks to fewer chances for his leash to slip under him.

Bonus: because it's bright orange, people still ask me if Apollo's a service dog. Which is nice, but haha no

e: Also it's hilarious how much he loves it now - the first few times I'd have to catch him to put it on, but now I can bring out the harness and he runs over and sits because HE'S GOING SOMEWHERE FUN :D

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Help I'm scared

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Can’t help you man, I’ve got a situation of my own over here

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Is it weird that Timothy specifically pees only on speed bumps in the street at night?

Ein had a specific pile of bricks he'd poop on in a vacant lot across the street when I'd take him for walks.
So, uh, nope. Not weird.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Stay safe new years puppers.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Happy New Year! Apollo is concerned because my folks are sleeping in a lot:

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Tracker is prepared for 2019.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

We Rate Dogs has dropped their dogs of 2018 video. Here is a reminder that even though this world seems to keep getting worse, the dogs keep getting better.

https://youtu.be/tN5-ABzSdDY

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Writer Cath posted:

Tracker is prepared for 2019.

He's a very photogenic dog.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

the dogs keep getting better.

Juniper first good deed of 2019 was that she spotted the people who dogsat her and jumped on their laps for pets.

also this:
https://twitter.com/El_Gustache/status/1080247125579943936

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat
Juniper is great ☺️

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Put in application for this v good doggo. Wish me luck.

https://www.adoptapet.com/pet/15351685-charlotte-north-carolina-shepherd-unknown-type

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I had a chocolab called Dusty join me today. Apparently she is normally super protective of her mum, but she loved me and washed my whole leg and arm :3:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sassy is sleeping on the heating pad, on the pillow, on the fleece, on the comforter, on the couch. Truly a dog of comfort.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

That doggo has a very fluffy tail and is a very good girl, good luck :3:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/El_Gustache/status/1080549234108055552

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
She has an extremely kissable face and I love her :3:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You can't have her, I want her, she looks like she'd have a blast playing with Apollo

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

Winter is for Sherpa naps.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

You can't have her, I want her, she looks like she'd have a blast playing with Apollo

I may not get her. They sent me an email asking when i could do a phone interview for her today and i told them anytime this afternoon. Never got a call.

Edit: finally got an email from the lady at 8:30 saying she was on the line all day. These people are killing me i just want to have the very gud dogge to cuddle

Stravag fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 3, 2019

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Shirley has a butt-heart ☺️

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Clara is back at the vet again. after a nightmare summer (including cancer scares, catching an errant round, and flesh-eating mystery sores), the weird flesh-eating bug or whatever it is is back. Multiple vets have seen her and have zero clue what the deal is, so the best I can do is clean out the wounds every day. They popped up on Monday and are deep enough I can put a finger in there. She's in fine spirits, eating like a horse, playful, even jogged to the car earlier, but she's wildly offended by the cone.

Can't blame her tbh.

Lynx (my usually a huge jerk cat) has been incredibly sweet and cuddly to Clara though, and even jumped on me yesterday. Photo taken before spe spun around and rubbed her rear end all over my hat.

Bonus content-
Newt's sister has a heart-shaped spot on her nose and it's the very best thing.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Get well soon, pupper. :ohdear:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Get well soon, Clara!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Get well soon, Clara!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Dis are Buster

He get toy on crismass

On boxing day he find and eat a lam's tail

He are dogge frend

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Wait have you taken Buster to Waiheke recently

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

No, he lives in Invercargill.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Oh. Looks like a very good boy though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Goddamn my friends dog Rose is gorgeous

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

So the lady got ahold of me yesterday and i had my phone interview. She kept stressing that if I'm allowed to adopt Kedah she cant be off the leash unless i have over a 6.5 foot fence because she will jump it, has a huge prey drive, and is able to climb very well. So any thought I had of letting her chill on my balcony are out and letting her run around off leash in a dog park. Does anyone use a long leash so they can still play with their pup and let them run around but still being under control? And what lengths do you use?

From the sounds of it though this very good girl loveslovesLOVES car rides so her hanging out in the car with me all day while im working is good to go. She also really likes hanging in her crate. Does anyone have a good soft car crate they would recommend? Im thinking of a roomy crate that is secured to the back seat and has a place to secure her harness to the seatbelt so she can have some movement but have the security of the belt and the ability to be in a crate for her happiness while we're cruising. I wouldnt normally double up like that for just driving around but its going to be for 7+ hours a day during the summer and people in nc and sc are barely better drivers than people the in DC.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ok so i bought a book today called dogs

it's a french book where they tried to find an example of every breed of dog and post a photo of one with its owner

name a breed and i'll post the photo, they're dope as gently caress

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Papillon
Weimaraner
Plott hound
Labs (all types, saved the best for last)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Husky please

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Stravag posted:

Does anyone use a long leash so they can still play with their pup and let them run around but still being under control? And what lengths do you use?

Our dog is not such a jumper but as a hound also has an insane prey drive and cannot be off leash. We just take her to dog parks with fences or run with her on the normal leash. Our experience was that even with a long leash she couldn’t go exactly where she wanted so we just let her lead on the short leash.

Also Two Finger post a Komondor

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Our dog is not such a jumper but as a hound also has an insane prey drive and cannot be off leash. We just take her to dog parks with fences or run with her on the normal leash. Our experience was that even with a long leash she couldn’t go exactly where she wanted so we just let her lead on the short leash.

Also Two Finger post a Komondor

Lando also can’t be trusted off leash because he also has a high prey drive (I would never see him again if he took off after a squirrel) and also, he’s not good with kids and I wouldn’t want him running into one where I couldn’t control his movements. He has a long, 20’ training leash that I’ve used with him when I want to let him scamper/swim around a bit more- we’ve played a game called Leash Fetch where I will throw the ball for Lando and then immediately start running so he won’t feel any tension on the leash as he sprints for the ball. Doing sprints with a high energy lab mix is a great way to max out your cardio!

Also, I picked him up from the doggy hotel after a week’s stay while I was out of state for my sister’s wedding. Lando was super hyper, as he usually is when we pick him up from boarding, but some late night fetch at the bark park knocked him out. At 5 am, I was awoken to him plopping himself down between my girlfriend and I and snuggling with his head and paws on my chest until my alarm went off and it was time for morning romps.

Here’s my deranged boy looking at the box that holds all the toys and treats he got for Christmas. He’s also sporting his new We Rate Dogs “Oh H*ck” bandanna. 14/10, love my good dog!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Stravag posted:

So the lady got ahold of me yesterday and i had my phone interview. She kept stressing that if I'm allowed to adopt Kedah she cant be off the leash unless i have over a 6.5 foot fence because she will jump it, has a huge prey drive, and is able to climb very well. So any thought I had of letting her chill on my balcony are out and letting her run around off leash in a dog park. Does anyone use a long leash so they can still play with their pup and let them run around but still being under control? And what lengths do you use?

I use both a regular leash and a 30ft tether that I hook to Apollo's collar and to the leash so he gets 36ft~ to run around in. He cannot be offleash because we have hunters around and he has a high prey drive.

The 30ft tether is a metal cable wrapped in reflective plastic and I replace it once a year as the rain/snow can weaken it, and just last month the old one snapped. It had a knot in it that broke the plastic which exposed the metal.

Apollo loves it though - he gets enough room to really run and romp with me, we can play fetch and it's more than enough length for him to tie himself to trees. I've taught him the command "around!" which makes him go around the tree the other way which usually frees him.

Do note that I live on a property with two big fields and a forest - I wouldn't trust this at a park as Apollo doesn't want to learn stay/stop and he could knock someone over.

e: Oh for the record Apollo loves the dog park and is fine off-leash there. It's a good sized fence and he's only tried to get over it once: to get to the little dog park. He didn't succeed, haha.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 4, 2019

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat
TF post Dobermans or sheep dogs plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
https://i.imgur.com/0oKaygK.gifv