Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

An aeronautics engineering proficiency is also being worked on so you can, at minimum repair helicopters and potentially maybe even modify them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
some wizard hopefully fixes z levels so we can snipe zombies from rooftops and dive deepwater underground caverns. if you try to make water have z levels you currently end up with a bunch of air pockets between the levels.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It would be really cool to be able to scuba dive to areas underwater like sunken labs or whatever.

I guess one of the biggest things I'd like to see is lower z-levels rendered below if you can see them, maybe just darkened a few shades for each level separating you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Given that Dwarf Fortress has been struggling for years with making something like that work, I think that might be a bit more than the engine and the developers can handle.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Slaapaav posted:

some wizard hopefully fixes z levels so we can snipe zombies from rooftops and dive deepwater underground caverns. if you try to make water have z levels you currently end up with a bunch of air pockets between the levels.

Caves of Qud has multi-z-level fluid physics. Often very laggy though, heh

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Cardiovorax posted:

Given that Dwarf Fortress has been struggling for years with making something like that work, I think that might be a bit more than the engine and the developers can handle.

Has Adams actually been struggling with that, or is it one of the features that he doesn't find interesting enough to follow through with?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Metaphorically struggling, I meant. I don't know how difficult Adams finds it to implement, but backporting fake-3D visuals into a game and engine that were never built to support them isn't a trivial effort.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Mr. Pool posted:

Caves of Qud has multi-z-level fluid physics. Often very laggy though, heh

qud does fluids extremely well imho. you can mix them on purpose or by accident and mostly get results that make intuitive sense. i have never played any other game that comes close to caring as much about that kinda stuff like qud does!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Qud was built around supporting environmental interactions like that from the ground up, so that only makes sense. Having environments that simulate physical properties such as melting points and even basic chemical reactions was one of the earliest design goals of the game.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Do you still carry waterskins of lava around?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Only if you freeze dry the lava first.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Slaapaav posted:

qud does fluids extremely well imho. you can mix them on purpose or by accident and mostly get results that make intuitive sense. i have never played any other game that comes close to caring as much about that kinda stuff like qud does!

Space Station 13.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Oxygen not included

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Anyone else have some very unusual or unfortunate map-gen with the more recent builds?

I've tried starting runs five times today and yesterday, and three had to be aborted because it uh... went weird?

-One was a horse farm 'safe place' start, an 'easy' start because it had been a while. And the farm was... on a chunk of island. Like the entrance faces the river banks with no road, and going around the back the land just ended.

-A second horse farm start got turbo-hosed by those random alterations to the map. Nothing like a four-by-four location having a Portal In, a wasp nest, a radioactive crater in the barn, and dead scientists so a Migo was around.

-Starting at an evac shelter, I went around for a while just looting and running around (because I found a working mountain bike real fast). Found a mall and chanced going in, got to the roof and looked around... and I was on another loving island. One that honestly looked like an RTS map or something, because on this small island were two malls on either end, surrounded with a couple square blocks of homes and shops, with a forest going through the middle and the evac shelter right in the middle. (The best part was I went looking around, not a boat to be found despite there being like six docks and the new malls having weird vehicle stores that usually have boats).

(The other two runs got ended by the usual rushing buffoonery or hilarious luck. Did you know that there are zombie tigers? Because there are zombie tigers and they have *no* problems having some spawn near where you start.)

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I feel like there's been a lot more inconvenient bodies of waters in recent mapgen builds, and there have definitely been places where one map "sector" didn't align quite right with another and there were orphaned towns and HUB01s with no roads leading to them, and so on

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Is it possible to make a boat from 100% innawoods gameplay, or do you need some supplies from civilization to do so?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
need nails for oars or sails. raft hulls and light wooden frames can be made with stone age tools.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oars you could whittle from a single piece.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Mr. Lobe posted:

I feel like there's been a lot more inconvenient bodies of waters in recent mapgen builds, and there have definitely been places where one map "sector" didn't align quite right with another and there were orphaned towns and HUB01s with no roads leading to them, and so on

Last game I had a Hub01 spawn IN a town; sort of on the edge of town, but encroaching in enough that it was nearly touching the town nameplate. I don't think I've ever seen a hub spawn anywhere near any other building before, let alone in the suburbs.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Does smashing corpses that have a chance for bionics, like shocker zombies, affect the chance that you can successfully recover those bionics?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Spoggerific posted:

Does smashing corpses that have a chance for bionics, like shocker zombies, affect the chance that you can successfully recover those bionics?

The better the condition the corpse is in, the higher the chance of recovering bionics through dissection. For best results, kill them via bloodloss. Do not pulp.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
same applies to hunting small animals with shotguns. if you can kill a turkey with a single birdshot shell you will end up with way more meat than if you shot it with 00 shot or had to shoot it twice with birdshot

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Slingshots and other piddly ranged tools are also good for this reason when hunting small game

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
So you're telling me that my hunting technique of hitting things with my car isn't the best way to go?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Arven posted:

So you're telling me that my hunting technique of hitting things with my car isn't the best way to go?

Depends significantly on how many things you've got in front of you to hit.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Arven posted:

I've produced undamaged corpses via vehicular collision, its just a matter of hitting them *just* right

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

.50 cal is obviously the best choice for bird hunting. Usually, you don't even have to butcher the corpse, just pick up the scraps of meat. Great time saver!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Fuuuuuck Cruise ship starts.

Edit: Haha holyshit my start right after that had a Killophant (an uplifted elephant) as my starting NPC

Edit2: It slightly helped.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 7, 2020

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Cruise ship start? That new? How do you get it if you know off hand?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Mountain Lightning posted:

Cruise ship start? That new? How do you get it if you know off hand?

It's a start included in the mod "Ships from OA Additional Buildings", which adds the scenario and Cruise and Cargo ships in waterways.

If you would like I can link the mod pack I am running, you basically just have to drop it into your mod folder and you can pick and choose what you want.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 7, 2020

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
What is so bad about the cruise ship start, out of curiosity?

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Telsa Cola posted:

If you would like I can link the mod pack I am running, you basically just have to drop it into your mod folder and you can pick and choose what you want.

Yes please. I tried tracking it down but google is failing me.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Coolguye posted:

What is so bad about the cruise ship start, out of curiosity?

With default profession start and not changing zed settings:

Combination of zero light, a bunch of evolved zombies, tight 1-2 tile width corridors, and locked doors. I feel like the metal tiles also make you louder but I might just be imagining it.

It's basically the prison/island prison start but your options for running away and maneuvering are extremely limited.

I might give it another go in a day or whatever, but if I was going to do it again id take night vision and bunch of melee so I could hunt and isolate single zeds to ultimately make a safeish area I could run into. Or maybe a start with a baseball bat or something.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Mountain Lightning posted:

Yes please. I tried tracking it down but google is failing me.

No worries, I looked myself and couldn't find it, Im 80% certain it's from a discord.

For CDDA: https://github.com/Kenan2000/CDDA-Kenan-Modpack

For BN: https://github.com/Kenan2000/Bright-Nights-Kenan-Mod-Pack

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Telsa Cola posted:

No worries, I looked myself and couldn't find it, Im 80% certain it's from a discord.

For CDDA: https://github.com/Kenan2000/CDDA-Kenan-Modpack

For BN: https://github.com/Kenan2000/Bright-Nights-Kenan-Mod-Pack

Thanks!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Of course!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah, the prison start is the one I never truly solved. The loving bots on the egress are an intractable problem. The concrete walls are not bashable, even with a homewrecker, so you have no place to go but straight out, which is instant death.

The best solution I came up with was to set the prison top level on fire and then try to hang out for it to incinerate the whole place, but the blazing fire will cook you alive, and if you go down back to your cell to basically wait it out the fire leaves your reality bubble and won't burn the prison down.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Yeah, the prison start is the one I never truly solved. The loving bots on the egress are an intractable problem. The concrete walls are not bashable, even with a homewrecker, so you have no place to go but straight out, which is instant death.

The best solution I came up with was to set the prison top level on fire and then try to hang out for it to incinerate the whole place, but the blazing fire will cook you alive, and if you go down back to your cell to basically wait it out the fire leaves your reality bubble and won't burn the prison down.

You can fool the bots by tossing poo poo, they will investigate the noise. Once you have enough distance you could sneak by them and then either bash or lockpick your way out.

Or at least you could 3-4 years ago when I did it. I had it down to an art well enough that it was my preferred start for points. Though its somewhat depending on RNG. Some of my early posts in this thread are figuring out the best way to do it.

Ill have to give it a go on vanilla again to see if it's still doable that way.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Finding out that Bright Nights is allowing all characters to fly choppers is the greatest news. Just messing about with a world and trying to remember how to boil water again (thank god for fully stocked homes at least)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

RangerKarl posted:

Finding out that Bright Nights is allowing all characters to fly choppers is the greatest news. Just messing about with a world and trying to remember how to boil water again (thank god for fully stocked homes at least)

Its a cooking recipe.

Also freindly reminder for yall that water heaters will have up to 70 units of clean water, so check basements and utility closets.