Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Which version were you using? Did this character span multiple versions? Which version was he created in, if so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

This was the nightly that I downloaded on Wednesday, the 30th. New world generated, new character.

quote:

game.cpp[3158]: 6 radio towers
game.cpp[3158]: 6 radio towers
catajson.cpp[30]: Parse error in save/Middle of Nowhere/artifacts.gsav.

ERROR: syntax error at line 1 near:

That's all the debug log has. Middle of Nowhere is the world generated with a city size of 1. The artifact was a slimy tetrahedron, the game was doing fine after I removed it from my inventory and put it on a counter in a sewage plant. Trying to save the game caused the crash.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I can't go anywhere without finding a horde nowadays. :argh:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Is it possible to disable the Halloween special features? I'd just like to play some cataclysm without having to contend with murderous monsters and terminators from the onset.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Is it possible to disable the Halloween special features? I'd just like to play some cataclysm without having to contend with murderous monsters and terminators from the onset.

I would think there'd be an option in git to download an older revision.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The special release has already ended, so downloading a new version now should allow you to play in a world that's halloween free.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Are we going to see a "repair everything" option on vehicles any time soon? I like to keep my cars in good condition, but manually going through every tile is kind of tedious.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:sigh:

All of those were in one horde I had found. I was trying to find tools to build a vehicle. What exactly am I supposed to do to grind up skills? Books are kind of hard to come by. My current goals in game are A.) Mutate into something cool and B.) Build something awesome. I've been trying like hell to do both of those but I'm having serious issues surviving / finding what I need. I end up getting bored, rush too far into a place, then get swarmed and die.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

Turtlicious posted:

All of those were in one horde I had found. I was trying to find tools to build a vehicle. What exactly am I supposed to do to grind up skills? Books are kind of hard to come by. My current goals in game are A.) Mutate into something cool and B.) Build something awesome. I've been trying like hell to do both of those but I'm having serious issues surviving / finding what I need. I end up getting bored, rush too far into a place, then get swarmed and die.

Most vehicles are either wrecked with gas or have no gas and work otherwise. So just get a rubber hose and siphon some gas into the working vehicles.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I'm the opposite; I've got a mutated death-god loaded down with assault rifles, grenades and bionics, but no super monsters to obliterate. Best advice I can give is generally ignore hordes as best you can, find a vehicle for when things get hairy (smash a fridge to get a hose to siphon some gas), and if you must fight melee, always put some piece of cover between you and them. Bushes and shopping trollies work well.

Contemplating whether or not I should detonate a nuclear missile silo.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spaceking posted:

I'm the opposite; I've got a mutated death-god loaded down with assault rifles, grenades and bionics, but no super monsters to obliterate. Best advice I can give is generally ignore hordes as best you can, find a vehicle for when things get hairy (smash a fridge to get a hose to siphon some gas), and if you must fight melee, always put some piece of cover between you and them. Bushes and shopping trollies work well.

Contemplating whether or not I should detonate a nuclear missile silo.

Couldn't you go into a cave? I thought those had crazy poo poo in them.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The most you find in a cave is a ton of sewer rats/the rat king and that's not much of a challenge for even a moderately well-off character with the right weaponry. Maybe you're thinking of mines?

I hope they implement the nether-realm soon, that sounds like a pretty good high-end area.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 3, 2013

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

I have the same problem. I survive the first day or so no worries, then I need food so I go scavenging. I'll find a car that works and decide to run down every zombie near an interesting building, usually making my car break and getting me swarmed.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Turtlicious posted:

Couldn't you go into a cave? I thought those had crazy poo poo in them.

Most I've found in the caves I explored were some wolves, a bear, plutonium and a power armour helmet. The latter of which I can't wear due to stylish antennae.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
After a long series of disappointing first-day-death abortions I've finally gotten the hang of surviving. Schizophrenic Survivalist Chase Adams walks the earth dispensing one-hit justice with his trusty broadsword against enemies real and imagined. He even went toe-to-toe against a Zombie Hulk and went full Beowulf on it. His mother would be proud of him if she weren't trying to kill him while he slept.

Two questions though:

If I use rotten food in a crafting recipe does it count as normal?

How do I disassemble bullets? I assume I need to break them down for gunpowder etc. and the Wiki isn't all that helpful with how to acquire components in general.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Junkfist posted:

If I use rotten food in a crafting recipe does it count as normal?
No, the product of your crafting will be rotten too

quote:

How do I disassemble bullets? I assume I need to break them down for gunpowder etc. and the Wiki isn't all that helpful with how to acquire components in general.
You need a Kinetic bullet puller.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Public works are generally a good place to find obscure tools like the bullet puller. Be careful though, they tend to have a few shock zombies.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spaceking posted:

Public works are generally a good place to find obscure tools like the bullet puller. Be careful though, they tend to have a few shock zombies.

Alternatively: Public works often come with an ample supply of interesting CBMs which glow in the dark for easy visibility.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Is there a way to repair broken consoles? I got into a Hazardous Waste Sarcophagus and there's a working military cargo truck here in the garage, but the console that opens the door is busted.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Broken consoles, as far as I know, are simply placeholders for future content.

If I have the crafting skills, I always craft and carry a jackhammer. Most useful item in the game, in my opinion.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm really hoping computers get a lot more fleshed out in the future. They really could be so much more than electronic door locks. Home computers with some flavor emails/documents would be really cool.

So I cleared this place out and decided to make a large base as sort of a megaproject. I'm planning to build a solar powered workshop with that vehicle frame that goes outside, and build a bedroom with actual walls and a door instead of a cot surrounded by display racks. Eventually I'm going to make a giant palisade gate that goes across the entrance. The workshop, loot shelves, palisade gate, and bedroom will take up the bottom 3 map tiles of the megamart, anyone got any good ideas of things I could build to fill the other 6 map squares of the store with?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Build tiny rooms with palisade gates, go out, collect a bunch of zombie corpses and make a zombie zoo.

Alternatively, put all the rooms at the side and leave the center three squares for an absolutely colossal vehicle.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Inadequately posted:

Build tiny rooms with palisade gates, go out, collect a bunch of zombie corpses and make a zombie zoo.

Alternatively, put all the rooms at the side and leave the center three squares for an absolutely colossal vehicle.

I like the zoo idea, maybe I'll make a maze too and see if they can find their way out. Did they remove the size limit on vehicles recently? I noticed that the display on the vehicle screen scrolls now. If they did I'll scrap all the shelves and try to make a massive mobile fortress with all the amenities and covered in spikes. poo poo, that sounds like an amazing megaproject.

So I recently went on a sewer mapping expedition and came across 5 flasks of mutagen. I decided now was as good a time as any to start messing with mutations so I chugged em down.

I acquired bad back, beak, deft, full night vision, heat dependant, light bones, light eater, rough skin, and weak stomach. My carry weight is now 60 pounds and I can no longer wear mouth gear, but I'm faster, better in melee, eat less, have a cool beak, and have full night vision, which is absolutely loving amazing. Even the carry weight is kind of cool since now I actually have to seriously worry about pain and have to pack light. I gotta say, mutation is pretty fun.
There's different animal based branches for mutation right?

Edit:raided the rest of the sewers

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 4, 2013

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How do you have such nice smooth color scheme in your game?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Jack Trades posted:

How do you have such nice smooth color scheme in your game?

I'm pretty sure it's because I'm on Ubuntu. My old laptop with Windows 7 looked like everyone else's. It can be troublesome though since certain stacks of items just show up as blank, black squares.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, if you play in a terminal window you can set the background color to just about anything you want. I still prefer black, though, for the contrast. Colour-on-gray makes my eyes hurt.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

So I know you guys had some pretty strong opinions about "unlockables", and I was wondering what your take would be on the following system:

There are some unlockable scenarios and professions in the game, tied to a specific World (we can have multiple worlds now, remember), and are usually unlocked by encountering, exploring, or acquiring something. Examples being the Cloning Lab scenario mentioned previously.

However - When you create a world, you have the options of whether or not you want things these things unlocked or whether you want to acquired through gameplay, or you could choose to start with some (maybe because you already unlocked them in a previous world or version of the game) while leaving the others as they are.

So in a way it would sort of be a less extreme version of the Kerbal Campaign Mode vs Sandbox Mode system, where it's a completely optional locking of certain elements of the game for those players who prefer to avoid seeing things in advance of discovering them or otherwise want some sense of progression between horrible and gruesome deaths.

This is, in some ways, a bit more expansive than the previous system I mentioned as it would surely encourage a few more things to be locked than a mandatory system, but its also a bit less so since it would also contain a pretty basic opt out for those who don't care in the least about it.

Any interest in that sort of system? See parts of it you don't like or think it would be bad for the game somehow?

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
I would like to see an unlockable system that is generally as described. I'd really like a list of 'challenges' to aim for with each character to unlock new things for the next guy with persistence between worlds.

But definitely make it optional with a simple opt-out, there's no reason to make it mandatory.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm currently having the best round of Cataclysm ever. It's not even the third day, I already have a Glock 19, a ton of bullets, an RV, and am raiding my first science lab. I can't wait to install all these CBM's (what skill does that use?) and I'm really looking forward to making my dude a Freaky Mutant (I just got Full Night Vision from a flask.) I'm actually having a lot of fun now.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I'm against tying things to worlds. I almost always delete and restart between deaths, since its really not that fun picking through recognisable areas that I know I've looted. There has to be a better way of leaving behind a character legacy that doesn't encourage remembering where your last guy died with all his sweet kit.

Maybe look at something like DoomRL's metagame unlocks, with the option to just go ahead and play with all the content anyway? Tiered recognition tied to in-game actions that you can track across multiple lives and put in the memorial files could be neat.

Also, bionics use electronics, first aid and mechanics. Have fun!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anticheese posted:

:woop:

I have books for all those things. I'm going to become a mutant cyborg!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
They ALSO use just straight intelligence too, so make sure to boost that with drugs when you actually install.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

So I know you guys had some pretty strong opinions about "unlockables", and I was wondering what your take would be on the following system:

There are some unlockable scenarios and professions in the game, tied to a specific World (we can have multiple worlds now, remember), and are usually unlocked by encountering, exploring, or acquiring something. Examples being the Cloning Lab scenario mentioned previously.

However - When you create a world, you have the options of whether or not you want things these things unlocked or whether you want to acquired through gameplay, or you could choose to start with some (maybe because you already unlocked them in a previous world or version of the game) while leaving the others as they are.

So in a way it would sort of be a less extreme version of the Kerbal Campaign Mode vs Sandbox Mode system, where it's a completely optional locking of certain elements of the game for those players who prefer to avoid seeing things in advance of discovering them or otherwise want some sense of progression between horrible and gruesome deaths.

This is, in some ways, a bit more expansive than the previous system I mentioned as it would surely encourage a few more things to be locked than a mandatory system, but its also a bit less so since it would also contain a pretty basic opt out for those who don't care in the least about it.

Any interest in that sort of system? See parts of it you don't like or think it would be bad for the game somehow?

I would be fine with it except for the idea of it being tied to a world, as I like to recreate my world every time I die, so there'd be no point in the system for me.

I'd prefer it to be tied to simply the game folder, or the executable or something, more like ToME or similar.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
If that's the route it would take, how feasible would it be to do a kind of light reset of the map where items and monsters are regenerated randomly? That's usually the main reason I reset my map, since it's no fun spawning back near a city that I've already cleared out.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Anticheese posted:

I'm against tying things to worlds. I almost always delete and restart between deaths, since its really not that fun picking through recognisable areas that I know I've looted. There has to be a better way of leaving behind a character legacy that doesn't encourage remembering where your last guy died with all his sweet kit.

Maybe look at something like DoomRL's metagame unlocks, with the option to just go ahead and play with all the content anyway? Tiered recognition tied to in-game actions that you can track across multiple lives and put in the memorial files could be neat.

While I'm not a Delete on Death guy all the time, I think it would be better to tie the unlocks to the install folder. If there is a file that tracks what is unlocked, people who want to have everything from the get go can just edit the file and set all the unlocks to '1'. Although at some point in the future you might want to fold that into a menu in the options.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Anticheese posted:

I basically agree with this. If you're worried about people who might want to unlock stuff more than once, then include a "reset unlockables" button somewhere. Tying unlockables directly to world files is just tedious to everybody whose playstyle doesn't include using the same world over and over again.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The main problem with NOT tying it to worlds, is that mods are tied to worlds - if we want to be able to have mods introduce new scenarios (and this will be doubly important for any mods that have non-vanilla creatures and locations that play a role in those scenarios), it would require them to be world locked.

I do think the need to reset worlds will be a lot less pressing once we get our expanded spawn system in (basically, ever new character will appear in a new and different section of the overworld, so no more showing up again and again in the same shelter you already started in), but for now.

You guys know you can already regenerate a world without destroying it, right? It will keep all your settings and metadata, but regenerate the world anew. This would also keep any unlocks you've acquired unlocked, in my hypothetical case.

I guess the primary issue is we really need to add the "Regenerate World on Death" option above "Delete World on Death", but another setting is easy enough.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
I only remake a world on each new build, personally I haven't run into my old characters that often and you can keep moving to new section of map to explore if you don't want familiarity.

Then again I don't die very often, and if I do it will be in the first few days so there isn't too much overlap. Regenerating rather than deleting on death seems like it would allay some of the fears people have currently.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

If regenerating on death isn't enough for people, though - I've got some technical hurdles to work out how to overcome. Gonna spend a good chunk of today thinking about other ways to handle this, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

The main problem with NOT tying it to worlds, is that mods are tied to worlds - if we want to be able to have mods introduce new scenarios (and this will be doubly important for any mods that have non-vanilla creatures and locations that play a role in those scenarios), it would require them to be world locked.

I do think the need to reset worlds will be a lot less pressing once we get our expanded spawn system in (basically, ever new character will appear in a new and different section of the overworld, so no more showing up again and again in the same shelter you already started in), but for now.

You guys know you can already regenerate a world without destroying it, right? It will keep all your settings and metadata, but regenerate the world anew. This would also keep any unlocks you've acquired unlocked, in my hypothetical case.

I guess the primary issue is we really need to add the "Regenerate World on Death" option above "Delete World on Death", but another setting is easy enough.

If those two changes are made then I have no issue with the proposed system. My main gripe with using the same world is it very visibly feels used, all the stuff is gone and I know where my body is, it's a bit silly, really.

If you could fix that in some way then there's no reason to reset the world, certainly. Refresh the loot, randomise the buildings, respawn the enemies, and get rid of my old character. That's basically all I reset the world for.