Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Nevets posted:

My last character had made it several days and was starting to accumulate some good stuff, then a portal opened up near the evac shelter and a floating eye started blasting holes in the walls. After killing it I decided the shelter was unsalvageable and started packing to leave. Well it turns out that (at least in the nightly build I was using at the time) moving things to and from your inventory takes time. So my character spent 15 minutes sorting through which cans of cola he was going to bring and ignoring the zoose that proceeded to walk up and bite him 30 times until he died. Exit inventory manager and immediately die.

Inventory management has always taken time, hasn't it?

Maybe the amount of time has been significantly increased, either way it shouldn't happen and a prompt needs to be added that there's danger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cardiovorax posted:

What's the easiest way to make the walls you can build with construction unbreakable? I feel like building a permanent base for once, but I'm sick of the way that even the pissiest little creeper zombie can apparently punch through everything you've built overnight.

Structures should have variable toughness - that shouldn't actually be possible anymore. Mobs of zombies do increase the power of the one in front, so if you get a group of like 10 or 12 banging away at the wall they will damage it and eventually overpower it and collapse it with the combined weight off the mass, but a single zed shouldn't be able to overcome most defenses anymore.

This is a fairly new feature though - the initial version made it into the last stable not long before release, but it's been tweaked since then - and I'm not entirely sure how much of the required upkeep and adjustment of values for constructables has been made. I'll poke the guy who set the new system up and ask what's going on there.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

GlyphGryph posted:

Structures should have variable toughness - that shouldn't actually be possible anymore. Mobs of zombies do increase the power of the one in front, so if you get a group of like 10 or 12 banging away at the wall they will damage it and eventually overpower it and collapse it with the combined weight off the mass, but a single zed shouldn't be able to overcome most defenses anymore.

This is a fairly new feature though - the initial version made it into the last stable not long before release, but it's been tweaked since then - and I'm not entirely sure how much of the required upkeep and adjustment of values for constructables has been made. I'll poke the guy who set the new system up and ask what's going on there.
I see. I haven't actually tried building anything since like 0.5 or so, because that particular behaviour annoyed me so much. I'll try it out sometime and report back. Still, just in case, where are the toughness values stored? Are they jsons or hardcoded?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
So how silent are suppressors?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

amuayse posted:

So how silent are suppressors?

They make a bit of noise, but not much more than the noises you normally make when rustling through buildings, always try to have one on your weapon.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Suppressors reduce noise by a fixed amount, so how quiet they are depends on how loud your weapon was to begin with. On a naturally quiet weapon like a .22 rifle, it'll make it effectively noiseless (as shown by the "plink" sound when you fire your gun.)

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
Just tried out the latest build. You can now develop tetanus from climbing through broken windows, through metal wreckage, and, according to some posts on the forums, simply picking up some car parts into your inventory.

Hope you've found a shitload of Diazepam because it's the only thing that can cure it. (It also only has a 1/3 chance of curing it.) There is no way you're going to manage to get any if you don't already have any either, seeing as the disease makes your muscles spasm and you lose control of your character for 6-7 turns every 15-20 turns. Not only are you going to get ripped to pieces the second anything is around, but it's so annoying that it will probably just make you stop playing.

Did some searching and supposedly there is a 1/35 chance of developing tetanus from any cut your character gets from an environmental source. That's ridiculous, there are fewer than 40 cases of tetanus per year reported in the US.

Tirius fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 18, 2014

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I find myself completely unsurprised by this. I thought that the blood parasites and stuff were bad enough since there's absolutely no notification of contracting them or their effects without having a blood analysis bionic or digging into the source code. Turns out that they reduce your health score by a few points fairly frequently, so characters that aren't chromed to the hilt will just one day start being constantly and horribly ill with no obvious cure.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Man, that just sounds terrible, unfun, and unrealistic. I must get that cut yourself on a window notification at least 35 times per town run so this would be a constant issue. I'm curious what kind of person thought that was a good idea.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Jesus loving christ I'm glad I stopped playing shortly after the crafting furniture fiasco.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Man, that just sounds terrible, unfun, and unrealistic. I must get that cut yourself on a window notification at least 35 times per town run so this would be a constant issue. I'm curious what kind of person thought that was a good idea.

The Cataclysm forum has completely given up on designing the game for anyone other than themselves, and the ones that tend to push through the worst, most tedious changes are also the most prolific coders, so no surprise there. It's only gone down the drain since I last looked at it

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Now I'm wondering if they simply pissed off the coders that were supposed to implement the Kickstarter stuff.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

The fact that a large chunk of contributions is just in the way of adding more items for the sake of it can't help. I'm also really not fond of the book learning-only direction they've gone.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Anticheese posted:

The fact that a large chunk of contributions is just in the way of adding more items for the sake of it can't help. I'm also really not fond of the book learning-only direction they've gone.

Wait I haven't played in months, can you no longer pick up skills from performing actions? The Dev team is aware how experience works (in the real world of course)

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Some crafting recipes are picked up from performing actions, but the vast majority are gated through finding books. Additionally, the difficulty curve for some actions is just really bloody stupid. Digging a well is as difficult for a civil engineer as putting together a miniature nuke is for an electrician, and reinforcing boarded up windows (literally just adding another layer of boards) is more difficult than putting up a house.

Not all brewing recipes (like the old GDA ones that got merged in) use the same systems, and after playing enough its easy to pick up where things got dropped into the game in a great big block by one person without much in the way of peer review or QA.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Also, I think it got modified so that in order to get to higher skill levels, you have to do higher skill recipes. So you can't get mad mininuke making skills by making 10,000 popsicle sticks.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
The dark secret to cataclysm is just use the debug menu to bypass the dumb things. Normally I'd say a game is not worth it at that point but I can't think of anything other games that let you be cyborg-spiderman-hulk firing grenades from your every modification possible gun while riding a custom killdozer mototcycle.

Some of it it probably just taste though. I actually like books being useful and things like that but I play with skill rust off because a crazy survivalist forgetting how to make a bow because he hasn't in three days is retarded.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

But there's still gaps in the higher skill level thing. Grinding up mechanics by repairing cars works the same as ever, ditto patching up lovely clothing for tailoring.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
Cataclysm is a very poorly balanced game yeah. The disadvantage that says you dislike vegetables like a picky kid fails to mention that if you eat a vegetable it will literally crush your soul because vegetables are worse than raw sewage. While we are on that subject someone please mod out fungaloids thanks.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still playing 0.A because gently caress All the Changes and recently discovered lutefisk. I went to the liquor store with some waterskins and put together a chemistry set (because the labs in this area are worthless, drat) and the stuff is super easy to make, just time consuming. Nevermind that after eating a big lunch I'm unable to do basically anything productive since I'd rather study computer science for hours than eat a bunch of the stuff. So I fish up some more! It's a vicious cycle.

e: Also the alarm on the vending machines goes off if you break the glass panel to get at the goodies, but not if you physically drag it somewhere else. Also, dragging it over stuff automatically adds it to the sales list, oops.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 20, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So the game is pretty much unfixably lovely now, with all of the sane people quit and gone?

That sucks.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Has the guy doing hordes been chased off for good then? That was a really promising feature.

What the game needs right now is more people hacking in pointless unbalanced items using json, so I can understand why the community would be a bit leery when a new actual programmer showed up... gotta show that heathen who's boss.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
I like to call it 'Item Diarrhoea.'

Who knows where, if anywhere, development will go. I hold 0 hope for Cataclysm 2 as Whales is totally unreliable.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Been spending a bunch of time on this game recently after seeing it played in a video lp. Doing okay so far but still trying to come to grips with some of the systems. I'm glad I didn't pick the nightly too, because that tetanus mechanic sounds awful.

I have a few questions if someone doesn't mind answering them

How do I go about modding guns? I keep seeing basements with shelves of various mods, do I need skill in that guntype to use them?

What's with the rift thing? I found a stairwell down to what I thought was a basement in a house that I had to use some rope to get down..and all of a sudden I was in lava? Is this just weird map design or something intentional?

Finally, can I do anything to reinforce glass walls? I found a nice luxury-type house with a fireplace and water but I don't know if I can do anything about the long glass wall sections. Maybe I'll just spike pit around it or something and leave them as is.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
To mod a gun, just (a)ctivate the mod you want to apply, it doesn't require any skill.

The lava is just random map generation screwing you over. I've run into those kinds of drops and, perhaps wisely, opted to leave them be.

As for the glass walls, your plan is roughly the same as mine, pits all over. I know you can board up windows, but I have no idea if those count as windows or not.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Gun mods can fit on certain types of firearms. Check the description and it will tell you what type(s) of firearms it can be used on. Then just (a)ctivate it and select the weapon you want to install it on. You can remove them by (U)nloading your firearm twice.

Lava rifts are randomly generated around the world, sometimes above ground, sometimes below. I'm guessing it was generated over the tile that had the bottom stairs, destroying them and requiring you to scale down on a rope.

I can't remember if reinforcing glass walls is possible, but if you've got a large house, you've got lumber. Get a screwdriver and hammer (or build a stone hammer) and start disassembling furniture into 2x4s and nails. You can use those to reinforce windows, and in the newer builds further reinforce them. Eventually if you find or weld together some steel plate you can fully armor them; I've never seen even a zombear successfully bust through steel-armored window.

Edit: drat it.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Thanks for the advice! Yeah, once I got down there with the rope I climbed back up.

Is it better to disassemble furniture than to smash it? Do I do the disassembly through the construction menu?

Speaking of reinforcement, is there a reference for how much abuse different kinds of constructable walls can take? Is it done by material or is it unique to different sorts like wooden fence vs wall vs palisade?

Also what tileset do you all use, if any? The default one seems to have a lot of 'no' symbols for missing things it seems and Im not sure if its a problem on my end.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Is it better to disassemble furniture than to smash it? Do I do the disassembly through the construction menu?
Disassembly takes time but gets you more materials and less wreckage. Done through the construction menu, requires hammer + screwdriver.

quote:

Speaking of reinforcement, is there a reference for how much abuse different kinds of constructable walls can take? Is it done by material or is it unique to different sorts like wooden fence vs wall vs palisade?
Unique per item I think. I would recommend smashing out the glass walls and replacing them with wooden walls.
To do serious construction you'll need a ton of nails and 2x4s.
* For the nails, pick a house you don't like and set fire to it. Wait around the general area until the fire burns out, then wander over the rubble picking up nails (set your autopickup to make this easy), you should get thousands from one house.
* For the 2x4s, get your Construction up to about 2 or 3 by reading books or digging holes, then chop a tree down with an axe and chop the fallen tree into planks. Use a wheelbarrow to transport the wood to where you need it, it's too bulky to carry.

quote:

Also what tileset do you all use, if any? The default one seems to have a lot of 'no' symbols for missing things it seems and Im not sure if its a problem on my end.
I use Colleen's. I think that has to be installed, it's not in the base yet.

BTW are you using Stable or Experimental? Advice varies based on that.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
I'm using Stable.

I've tried to cut down trees but it seems to be really hard to get an Axe...I notice there's a Stone Axe recipe but I don't know how to get it!

As far as Wheelbarrows go..do you make one using the vehicle system?

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 27, 2014

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

theres a class of nerd that gets a huge bug up their rear end about realism without actually bothering to study anything to determine what is/isnt realistic.

most common example I see is in the grog.txt thread where you keep seeing people that assume that climbing a three story tree in five minutes is superhuman since they are outrageous fatasses.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I still want to know who took a good idea like digging wells, and made it as difficult to builders as making a nuke is to tinkerers.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Anticheese posted:

I still want to know who took a good idea like digging wells, and made it as difficult to builders as making a nuke is to tinkerers.

Have you ever seen an doughy, out of shape autist try and dig a well? I'm betting they'd find it just as hard as building a nuke.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

theres a class of nerd that gets a huge bug up their rear end about realism without actually bothering to study anything to determine what is/isnt realistic.

But tetanus is nearly extinct in the USA, there's like 40 reported cases a year :psyduck: Did somebody read that figure and decide that a 1/40 chance was therefore appropriate?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

whiteshark12 posted:

But tetanus is nearly extinct in the USA, there's like 40 reported cases a year :psyduck: Did somebody read that figure and decide that a 1/40 chance was therefore appropriate?
Tetanus is mostly extinct because everybody and their mother got vaccinated against it as a baby. It's native to pretty much any kind of dirt or soil. It's still stupid, just for a different reason.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It's just so disheartening to see a game that I loved go down this path. Did anything ever come of the talk a making a goon fork of the game? I'd certainly support a version with some levelheaded development.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tiler Kiwi posted:

most common example I see is in the grog.txt thread where you keep seeing people that assume that climbing a three story tree in five minutes is superhuman since they are outrageous fatasses.

wat?

What kind of tree? If it's like a sequoia sure, but an oak or something is piss easy to climb, and fun too.

Least I now know why all my characters turn into unrecoverable blobs of mucus and vomit after a season of playtime.

Not even the fun, mutated kind of mucus blob either, just the regular old 'appears to have contracted cystic fibrosis somehow' kind.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

I'm using Stable.

I've tried to cut down trees but it seems to be really hard to get an Axe...I notice there's a Stone Axe recipe but I don't know how to get it!

As far as Wheelbarrows go..do you make one using the vehicle system?

If you can't find a shopping cart or similar thing from a store, you could make a vehicle out of a frame and some kinda storage area, or just find a busted motorcycle/car, disassemble it and slap a trunk onto it. Grab it and drag it along everywhere.

E: Stone axes might need some construction skill, I think one of the basics of survival magazines has the recipe too.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
So I used to be super into Cataclysm DDA and GDA, but fell out of playing it for about a year. I checked the OP but it hasn't been updated since september. I downloaded the most recent version 0A or whatever, but whats been happening with this game? Without digging through the whole thread, has there been more drama with the developer? What's major features have been added/changed? What happened to goon days ahead? Is this game effectively dead now?

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

Cosmik Debris posted:

So I used to be super into Cataclysm DDA and GDA, but fell out of playing it for about a year. I checked the OP but it hasn't been updated since september. I downloaded the most recent version 0A or whatever, but whats been happening with this game? Without digging through the whole thread, has there been more drama with the developer? What's major features have been added/changed? What happened to goon days ahead? Is this game effectively dead now?

Tetanus simulator 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

They nerfed tetanus 2 weeks ago FYI.

Cosmik Debris posted:

Most of the good stuff from the goon fork was merged into the main game, which made it redundant and was quickly passed up in terms of content.

Some posters here hold a grudge against the main devs, which ends up filtering into the hive mind.
The game is way past where it was last year, and most of the changes have been for the better.