Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

This was genius, but the tape gag was what slayed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmfao this flashy dipshit

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Thank god ONE is back to save us from the hell that is shonen manga.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I've been kinda lovely and dismissive about OPM in the other thread but im laughing at everything in this and am excited to see what happens every update

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The last few chapters of the Murata redraw have kinda brought me back but for a while there it was really losing me.

I'm so glad the real deal is back to remind me why I enjoy One Punch Man

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Murata OPM is increasingly losing the feeling of deconstruction and fresh take on shonen, but all of this is just extremely good and feels like he's not took a week off between chapters even though the hiatus was like 2 years?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think it's been much of a deconstruction since like Boros, or Sea King maybe. It's just been a lot slower to get to anything interesting.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Elentor posted:

Although it's a joke that's kinda buried under a lot of other gags in that chapter, I love how Genos just, without contest, buys into the premise that they will repair a sword with tape. Genos, who has a very visceral, personal relationship with metallurgy, smithing and repairing, and also has probably enough money to cover for Flashy's sword.

I think the best line was Flashy Flash just telling Saitama to either repair the sword or pay him after getting tired of him.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The last few chapters of the Murata redraw have kinda brought me back but for a while there it was really losing me.

I'm so glad the real deal is back to remind me why I enjoy One Punch Man

I'm in the same boat. I was complaining about the Murata version a bit during hte previous update, then the spectacle of the Monster King standing before Saitama reeled me in.

It's the two cakes meme, except we like the ugly one better.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
ONE really has improved his drawing skills a lot.

Comparing his early chapters to the latest ones is like night and day.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
You can only be around Murata for so long without picking up a thing or two.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
reading mob psycho will teach you that one has always been a great artist. his style can convey brutal action and charming sincerity and gives every a joke a x5 multiplier

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
From what I've heard, ONE just wasn't putting as much effort into the comic before, as he was focusing on Mob 100. Given the hours and deadlines artists work on often, it would not surprise me if he simply did not have much left in him to put into something that at it's inception had not been putting bread on the table. Now that that manga is done (I think? I don't really want to work too hard checking), and OPM is a money maker, he is likely got more oomph to put into it, since the comic will be the scaffold from which the Murata Art version is created, and may be the main source of his work income.

Edit: He can still presumably do better, but he is probably just putting in more detail and whatnot so there is more to work with when he and Murata get back to it, but not the visual finishing that he might use if he was going to release this as the main version.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 29, 2019

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've always appreciated ONE's art, this is how hipster I am.

Also another great gag in this chapter was "Shoulderblade Crush".

"Eh, close enough."

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Even for the webcomic and mob psycho, ONE mostly does storyboard sketches and has assistants put in the details. He probably just hired extra assistants.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Really? I guess I can't blame him. I don't think most people would notice much even if it was pointed out by someone in the know, and It probably gives him some time to breath.

Albeit then the work kinda then devolves to the assistants, but hopefully the splitting of the load would make it slightly more manageable.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

reading mob psycho will teach you that one has always been a great artist. his style can convey brutal action and charming sincerity and gives every a joke a x5 multiplier

ONE's interesting early on, because a lot of the things artists look for in great art? He's a one-in-a-million natural. Composition, focus, prospective, timing, conveying motion? Crazy good grasp on it. It's why Murata heard about him in pro circles, because holy poo poo, this guy got it.

He just also had most things he drew look uglier than homemade sin. It meant that, depending on what you were looking for, it was simultaneously the Mona Lisa and something a kid drew in poop on a wall.

ONE hasn't lost what he was good at, but if you look at his raw figures, it's gone from "What is that? Is that meant to be a person?" to "Oh. Okay, that looks fine." And it's not just from assistants. The rough storyboards he sends to Murata look much better than the older comics.

Just goes to show that even the best of us have room to improve. Like Saitama.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Literally look at Reigen from chapter 1 of MP100 and Reigen from the Reigen manga to see how he improved.

Like, it's such a marked improvement saying that he remained the same level of skill is utterly insulting.

In terms of composition and such he's always been great, but he's also taken the time and effort to improve his anatomy, proportions, and so forth. While it's not going to be conventionally pretty, it's still unique and much more refined.

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 29, 2019

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Oh, so the improvement is mostly him hiring more artists and being more focused? That's a shame. I thought it was a "fake it til you make it" in regards to drawing story.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Oh, so the improvement is mostly him hiring more artists and being more focused? That's a shame. I thought it was a "fake it til you make it" in regards to drawing story.

It's pretty clear there's real improvement. Again, the no assistant storyboards he sends Murata are head and shoulders above his early work from a character art standpoint.

The other things help, but the main one still seems to be good old fashioned practice.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Drawing "badly" is also his thing, so he's not going to be Murat's at any point but there's not too much motivation for him to try and make things massively differently better.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's more of a low detail cartoon-y style than a hyper detailed style and it's pretty good tbh

e: also he conveys the action through posture and character position better than a lot of artists who are good drawing details so you can always tell what's going on

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 29, 2019

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ONE also had assistants for MP100 (thank one of them for the anime eyes aliens) HOWEVER he obv very much values the idea that the art should serve the tone rather than clinging to being on-model all the time. (Reminder that Garou was a vaguely garou shaped bunch of scribbles and scratches for a good while until he started to calm down and figure out his internal conflict.) Chapter 1 Reigen is still supposed to be viewed as a sleazeball and its only when he opens up and we see his caring side that ONE starts drawing him as we recognize him.

Look at my post history in this thread if you want to see me gush about ONEs mastery of the comic format.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 29, 2019

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

ONE and Thorsby are both masters of the amazing comics but weird art style

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can't find these so feel free to disregard it, but I recall seeing one or two clear effort drawings ONE did and they were pretty good too. Again, not Murata or professional artist level but better than your laymen.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Terror Sweat posted:

ONE and Thorsby are both masters of the amazing comics but weird art style

Looking forward to the Murata redraw of Hitmen for destiny

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I can't find these so feel free to disregard it, but I recall seeing one or two clear effort drawings ONE did and they were pretty good too. Again, not Murata or professional artist level but better than your laymen.
He posts stuff to twitter:
https://twitter.com/ONE_rakugaki/status/1115310263257841664
https://twitter.com/ONE_rakugaki/status/1103212441310126080
https://twitter.com/ONE_rakugaki/status/1094265730269237249

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Soulfucker posted:

Looking forward to the Murata redraw of Hitmen for destiny

An incredible artist redrawing Hitmen is one of my own personal fantasies

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Can Of Worms posted:

He posts stuff to twitter:
Holy poo poo
https://twitter.com/ONE_rakugaki/status/1118185892584153088

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That is canon now.

Even darkshine is afraid (of kings kingly bod)

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
New chapter
http://galaxyheavyblow.web.fc2.com/fc2-imageviewer/?aid=1&iid=114

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
no idea whats going on but flashy flash getting the business is good

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That's gonna be the best 11 months of manga updates.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Flashy Flash getting a little taste of

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I'm liking Genos' Solaire cosplay.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://mangadex.org/chapter/620140/1

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Saitama's trying surprisingly hard again Flashy Flash. I mean, he's not actually trying but he's actually moving too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Page 5

https://i.imgur.com/f42xu6k.mp4

ChronoReverse posted:

Saitama's trying surprisingly hard again Flashy Flash. I mean, he's not actually trying but he's actually moving too.

Having good technique does wonders compared to whatever the gently caress Speed of Sound Sonic (lol)'s been doing.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I'm glad Saitama's still having a healthy diet consisting of swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is there going to be enough tape though? :ohdear: