Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

I played a Monaco GP game this week and it's amazing what they figured out they could do with TTL in 1980. color graphics! scrolling backgrounds! enemies that bounce between one side of the screen and the other! :supaburn:

i always feel like a really lovely engineer / programmer when i look at what was done 20-30 years ago with video games and poo poo

lost art these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

i mean i'm spoiled rotten complaining about needing a few more bytes of space and they were like 'yo, mask roms bitch' or straight up building a game out of discrete ttl logic

or i'm bitching about fpga builds taking forever and some greybeard has a bucket full of gals/pals that were consumed while he was programming some poo poo by hand

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Nelson MandEULA posted:

ok so lets say i have a 12v dc motor. when i push a momentary button, i want the motor to run for a set amount of time (let's say 15 seconds) and then turn off. if the motor is running and i push the button, i want it to stop.

that's all i want.

should i use an arduino for this, or could i use something like a 555?

you could probably do this entirely mechanically, but that would be an entirely different challenge from programming a microcontroller.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

movax posted:

i always feel like a really lovely engineer / programmer when i look at what was done 20-30 years ago with video games and poo poo

lost art these days

movax posted:

i mean i'm spoiled rotten complaining about needing a few more bytes of space and they were like 'yo, mask roms bitch' or straight up building a game out of discrete ttl logic

or i'm bitching about fpga builds taking forever and some greybeard has a bucket full of gals/pals that were consumed while he was programming some poo poo by hand

not gonna lie old '80s toys and arcade games like that are what got me into wanting to do things with microcontrollers because those people were wizards. writing winforms garbage isn't quite as satisfying as manually counting CPU cycles to make sure the pixel draws on the correct part of the screen.

problem with the electronic games that old is all the custom parts with no/expensive replacements. thankfully 3D printing lets you make whatever plastic pinball part you need, people have reverse-engineered their own copies of the CPU boards, and there's drop-in replacements for the GALs and PALs on boards these days.

the mechanical engineers who figured out how to make electromechanical coin-op games though :eyepop:

i also played this sick game from the early 70s where you flew a little airplane on a wire over and under obstacles through mirror trickery and it was the coolest thing ever

if you crashed into something the plane would stop and a little metal ambulance would light up and drive in a circle to the hangar and back

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 27, 2014

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
how many TH/s is that?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

how many TH/s is that?

maybe like a nanohash idk can project colossus do bitcoin

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Bananalogue posted:

hey idk if this thread is just for coding or w/e but i have next week off to gently caress around and i want to make a chiptune or synthwave track and actually finish the fucker so plz berate me if i dont do so tia

status: im not going to finish the fucker so i should be berated but i did get a bit of inspiration in the last hour or so

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

working on a game that will mandate potentially elaborate interactions between objects so im trying to make sure im up to par with my physics system of choice (haxe flixel with Nape)

:saddowns: hello world physics

mostly im making sure that i can get things to react without too much nastiness, i'm glad to see that i can dampen a fall of an elastic material by matching it's velocity and that it behaves as expected. my kinetic movement is digital right now so it distributes a lot of energy and forces it to bounce

im just verifying my understanding of these systems to figure out if i need to write my own bullshit 2d interaction network or if i can take advantage of a physics engine's features and its helpers

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Mido posted:

working on a game that will mandate potentially elaborate interactions between objects so im trying to make sure im up to par with my physics system of choice (haxe flixel with Nape)

:saddowns: hello world physics

mostly im making sure that i can get things to react without too much nastiness, i'm glad to see that i can dampen a fall of an elastic material by matching it's velocity and that it behaves as expected. my kinetic movement is digital right now so it distributes a lot of energy and forces it to bounce

im just verifying my understanding of these systems to figure out if i need to write my own bullshit 2d interaction network or if i can take advantage of a physics engine's features and its helpers

are those butts

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
love watching them butts juggle

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

Bananalogue posted:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Bananalogue posted:

butt juggler: origin

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
set up a net, call it beach volleybutt

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i dug out my arduino and put my little display box up again, hooked up a 555 to it to offload the CPU time of flipping between display cells. now it toggles between the four digits at about 138Hz (because I only had a 0.1uf cap available) using a decade counter with Q4 tied to reset, giving about a 34.5Hz refresh rate, just slow enough that you can see the digits flickering when it resets for a new display cycle :argh:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
idiot iphone game spare time project update: learned garageband so i can make musics for my iphone non-game entertainment software products

whilst learning i made these. enjoy (lol probably not).

Salsa!
https://soundcloud.com/dr-b-lock-iii-md/saucy

Some lame electronic techno crap
https://soundcloud.com/dr-b-lock-iii-md/electron

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"learned" garageband

thats like saying you "leanred" notepad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but thanks, my child is dancing to your salsa track

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

learned garbageband

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
was getting a bit "over" rodrocket, didn't want to approach the ships menu

so on friday night i layed into a fresh new game, replicate something i vaguley remember as a kid

i knocked out the entire functional gameplay in one night!@ no polish whatsoiever and dying and winning just sends message to console but it works! and it almost challenging.

when u are comfortable with your ide you caj dominate huh

then last night got stuck into the hard yards of making the menu scrteen from scratch. its working well so far but it going toi require a lot more work. rod rocket wont be far away from being functionally complete (as far as game goes), just no where near content complete

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

"learned" garageband

thats like saying you "leanred" notepad

like saying you "learned" UE4 visual scripting :twisted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

a moment of pride for me

instead of replicating the top series of nodes just to change the value to the *-1 of itself, and without wanting to create temp variables to do it, i used a select node and a flipflop to do the work for me! i am pleased with myself

i love oop. using functions and trying my damndest to never reuse code, unfortch i cant work out a way to use the whole thing 4 times instead of 2 x twice

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

mess with the best, die like the rest :twisted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
more like, you try to jizz in my face and luckily manage to get it in my trachea and i end up choking to death on your coagulated barely used semen

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

more like, you try to jizz in my face and luckily manage to get it in my trachea and i end up choking to death on your coagulated barely used semen

how's yer fukkin leg m8

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ahmeni posted:

how's yer fukkin leg m8

i thought that was his kid

there is no way that that was echopenis

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what you don't think echopenis is a 9 year old pharmacist

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

syscall girl posted:

i thought that was his kid

there is no way that that was echopenis

yeah

my 3yo son

its ok. he;s moving around on it lots now, crawling around n poo poo. kinda used to it. wheelcharis are a pain the fuckin rear end thou

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

yeah

my 3yo son

its ok. he;s moving around on it lots now, crawling around n poo poo. kinda used to it. wheelcharis are a pain the fuckin rear end thou

well wishes

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

yeah

my 3yo son

oops I did not look at the pic at all really
I'm glad he's doing good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks dudes. he's a wee legend
nut its like having a baby again. he cant get up onto the toilet himself, you see

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

recoded the menu screen. its going to look like this when you've landed, you can sell items quickly (same as jettison keys but on ship it sells them) and then hitting enter will allow you to choose to buy items or trade in ship

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

echinopsis posted:

recoded the menu screen. its going to look like this when you've landed, you can sell items quickly (same as jettison keys but on ship it sells them) and then hitting enter will allow you to choose to buy items or trade in ship

change name of store to James imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

uncurable mlady posted:

change name of store to James imo

also pictured, another ship. thnis one called

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

alex underrepresented, 0/5

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i cant please everyone soz

when i get into content phase i will make a thread and ask for requests and credit peeps accordingly. that time is not yet

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bloody posted:

alex underrepresented, 0/5

my name is alex

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
yospos please help. why is my code not working?

i want to turn on a pin (led for now, eventually dc motor via a TA7291P) when i push a button, and have it turn off after 15 seconds, or immediately if i push the button again. but it isn't working. idk why.

code:
unsigned long onTime;
const int BUTTON = 2;  // pushbutton 1 pin
const int LED =  13;    // LED pin

void setup()
{
  onTime = millis();
  pinMode(LED, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(BUTTON, INPUT);

}

void loop()
{

if (digitalRead(BUTTON) == LOW)   // ON- STARTS TIMER
       {
         digitalWrite(LED, HIGH);  // LED comes On  
         onTime = millis();
       }
  if (millis() - onTime > 15000 || digitalRead(BUTTON) == LOW)
       {
         digitalWrite(LED, LOW);
       }
}

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
ive just breadboarded it out for the moment. momentary push button with a pulldown resistor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

your state machine lacks state