Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i was doing something like that but far simpler in that i was trying to route everything through a reverse proxy that would strip the https out of things since old poo poo like w98 don't support most of the new protocols

lol @ web tv posting though that owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Zamujasa posted:

i was doing something like that but far simpler in that i was trying to route everything through a reverse proxy that would strip the https out of things since old poo poo like w98 don't support most of the new protocols

lol @ web tv posting though that owns

WebOne already does that if you just want something working, it will also do image-recompression and a few other neat tricks

you should also do codepage conversion for modern web stuff otherwise basically all non-ascii characters render as random noise, UTf-8 is not very well supported on legacy browsers
i convert to windows-1252, which works well with iCab

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
i'm doing it now with my new version I'm building.

based on the accept-language of the browser (if one is provided), I encode the outputted HTML into its respected encoding (So now Japanese properly converts to Shift_JIS, which is how it renders here). But yeah, encodings on these old browser is a pain. i also added image compression and resizing as well (either site by site, the browser that's being used, or both. so if you're using an old Netscape that doesn't support PNGs, it'll convert it to gif or jpeg).

youtube is also, mostly, working now.

https://twitter.com/drasticactionSA/status/1395573432641851392

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 21, 2021

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
jesus christ

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Drastic Actions posted:

based on the accept-language of the browser (if one is provided), I encode the outputted HTML into its respected encoding (So now Japanese properly converts to Shift_JIS, which is how it renders here). But yeah, encodings on these old browser is a pain. i also added image compression and resizing as well (either site by site, the browser that's being used, or both. so if you're using an old Netscape that doesn't support PNGs, it'll convert it to gif or jpeg).

thats sweet as gently caress, nice link to the tool too. that might make my attempt work better

i have a vintage toshiba satellite that came with windows and 32 mb of ram. iupgraded it to have 128mb more and it has a wifi pcmcia card and somehow a driver that supports 80211g

its funny how much smaller programs were back then

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I remember Word for Windows 6.0 weighing in at 22MB and what a mind blowing amount of space it required was

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

64 bit means that programs are twice as big now! madness! bring back real mode IMO

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
good god all a yall

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My logic analyzer arrived! I don’t have probes for it yet (they’re arriving this week) but it passes its built-in self test.

it’s an HP 16700A analyzer with a 16557 135MHz sampling card. runs a locked-down HP-UX with some sampling and analysis software on top. can be remote controlled over the network if I can find the right software too.

it’s already running the last version of the analysis software. I found the install media and threw on all the add-ons and CPU support packages. I don’t have any of the emulator modules but it’s got a JTAG port at least for anything I have with JTAG.

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1396159324527923204

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1396161190280187911

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 23, 2021

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I made some cubes spin on a Raspberry Pi 4.

:toot:

https://twitter.com/s_ridenour/status/1396273615033618432

edit: posted this from my Raspberry Pi 4, too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Drastic Actions posted:

as our resident CDN employee that cowers at anything older than http2 i'm sharing this at work to horrify people. oh my god. you monster

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i might be loving around with a switch soon so whats the best way to run 11-ish meters of ethernet cable from 1 room to a room more or less directly above it without drilling holes in poo poo
keep in mind there IS a staircase just outside both rooms

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
If you're not drilling I assume it's at least semi-temporary, and I've definitely had cables running from floor-to-floor via a window for a few months at a time. The sunlight will eventually degrade the insulation, but if the cable falls apart and shorts out it won't damage anything upstream, it'll just stop working.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Stack Machine posted:

If you're not drilling I assume it's at least semi-temporary, and I've definitely had cables running from floor-to-floor via a window for a few months at a time. The sunlight will eventually degrade the insulation, but if the cable falls apart and shorts out it won't damage anything upstream, it'll just stop working.

windows aren't really an option either

honestly how bad of an idea is just sorta taping it to the ceiling

my main issue is doorways though

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
It'll probably eventually fall if you tape it to the ceiling. Could you run it around the edge of the room on the floor and under the corners of doorways?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
My coworker mentioned buying some of those Ethernet-over-AC adapters recently, apparently they're reasonably priced and work well these days. He's in Canada so I don't know if there's any inherent difference between NA and European wiring that might make that a problem

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
power over ethernet would almost certainly work

how long the cable will stay taped up depends on what kind of tape you use, but any tape that will support it indefinitely will probably be hell to get off the walls if you ever have to

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the main (heh) power difference is that north american AC is 110 volts at 60 hz, and europe is 220-240 volts at 50 hz. i dunno if that matters for ethernet-over-ac devices though

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

your bits are gonna get all confused

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Stack Machine posted:

It'll probably eventually fall if you tape it to the ceiling. Could you run it around the edge of the room on the floor and under the corners of doorways?

good idea, i could try that

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
for our apartment we have ethernet cables running along the edges of the floor, with two strategically placed rugs to cover where they cross over the hallway

assuming you give yourself a decent amount of slack this seems to work well, if not exactly the most stealthy way. but we've had it like this for years

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

yea i might have to tape it to the wall at one point but other than that it should work i think

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
just use a flat cable and construction staple it to the brick or whatever

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

eschaton posted:

just use a flat cable and construction staple it to the brick or whatever

... if you can get flat ethernet cables this poo poo's going to be a lot easier

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

lol nvm my stepdad said there's no way im running ethernet up to my bedroom

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

after i bought my own place i strung around 200m of cat6 cable all over the place
highly recommended

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

r u ready to WALK posted:

after i bought my own place i strung around 200m of cat6 cable all over the place
highly recommended

that was the plan yeah
though more like 20m

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

hbag posted:

lol nvm my stepdad said there's no way im running ethernet up to my bedroom

move out

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
do you have a coax connector for cable in your room and one near the router? MOCA adapters would work if so.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

hbag posted:

i might be loving around with a switch soon so whats the best way to run 11-ish meters of ethernet cable from 1 room to a room more or less directly above it without drilling holes in poo poo
keep in mind there IS a staircase just outside both rooms
nail cable brackets an option?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

lol

evil_bunnY posted:

nail cable brackets an option?

that was the main reason he said no
doesnt want to be hammering poo poo into walls

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

as our resident CDN employee that cowers at anything older than http2 i'm sharing this at work to horrify people. oh my god. you monster

it is funny to think that once you turn off SSL, the underlying protocols have been (afaik) basically unchanged for this long. I can still talk to modern web servers just fine on these old computers, as long as the content I send back is something it will understand.

speaking of which, I've been playing around with video codecs to get baselines for how far I can push some of these computers with what they'll play. you just need to point to a video file (local on disk or on a URL the server can access, with parsers for YouTube to get the raw muxed files) with a query string of format specifications and it'll spit it out. this pc has a Pentium 133, with 32 MB ram and a 4 MB S3 ViRGE DX. it can go up to 240p on ASF and RM, but it'll use all the CPUs power to do it, leaving the machine nearly useless. going down to 96p gives some room for multitasking.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/117839290796343297/846050975214993448/american_jesus.mp4

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 23, 2021

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

If your stepdad said no then it just means you haven't established dominance. Challenge him to a feat of strength and do whatever it takes to win. I know it sounds roundabout but that's the only way you'll ultimately solve the underpowered HDD issue.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

hbag posted:

windows aren't really an option either

run it through linux then

real talk i used an old router and wrt (dd in my case since it was on already but openwrt is a good option) to create a wireless bridge that worked for a bunch of ethernet devices then used a switch on the other end to handle a bunch more when i wanted to avoid putting cables through a wall for a temporary office setup

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Delete Facebook, lawyer up, hit the gym. Yadda yadda yadda, your Plex server works. ez pz.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

shoeberto posted:

If your stepdad said no then it just means you haven't established dominance. Challenge him to a feat of strength and do whatever it takes to win. I know it sounds roundabout but that's the only way you'll ultimately solve the underpowered HDD issue.

once you lay the cable, piss all over it, that will mark it as yours

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Agile Vector posted:

run it through linux then

real talk i used an old router and wrt (dd in my case since it was on already but openwrt is a good option) to create a wireless bridge that worked for a bunch of ethernet devices then used a switch on the other end to handle a bunch more when i wanted to avoid putting cables through a wall for a temporary office setup

wouldnt a wireless bridge defeat the whole point of using ethernet

or am i completely wrong about thinking that wireless is slower than hardwired poo poo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It depends on the number of antennas in your device but 802.11ac can hit over 1 gbps, same as gigabit ethernet. Minimally you should get around 400 mbps.

Why do you need transfers that fast anyway

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Sagebrush posted:

Why do you need transfers that fast anyway

autism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Endless Mike posted:

do you have a coax connector for cable in your room and one near the router? MOCA adapters would work if so.

I somehow did not realize these were a thing, thanks for this. Now I have dumb ideas.