Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dr. Honked posted:

ea gave her a jorb iirc

in the recycling vats
i thought she ended up at zynga

so i guess you're still right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Share Bear posted:

my thing generates flashcards from foreign language fb and twitter posts

gotta figure out a better way to represent the dictionaries im using (60MB xml doc which takes 2 minutes to read off disk, probably a DB or a serialized object or something, cue someone who does this for a living laughing out loud)

Maybe split it into 10 six megabyte files each containing words that start with certain letters like AB, CD, EF, then just read the first letter, pick correct small file and search from there. Bam, cut seek time to a tenth!

See, I don't do this for a living that's why that's probably a bad advice.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
use sqlite :v:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

tef posted:

use sqlite :v:

i'm trying a bunch of solutions including that, going with whatever has the easiest implementation without having to wait 2 minutes everytime i run the script

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
not a computer thing, but i want to take this part-time woodworking course, if only they'd publish start dates and fees :ohdear:

my hope is to one day become as much of a spergtastic woodworking genius as this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unDVtGto7es

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcDshWmhF4A

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjpWejUEYzQ

jackdh4x0r
Jun 8, 2005

I've got an eighteen minute window.

WorkingPeer posted:

my hope is to one day become as much of a spergtastic woodworking genius as this guy:

that's really awesome, wish i had the patience for woodworking like that!

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

WorkingPeer posted:

not a computer thing, but i want to take this part-time woodworking course, if only they'd publish start dates and fees :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unDVtGto7es

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcDshWmhF4A

every time i see i a nice bit of woodwork, i fleetingly consider abandoning software, abandoning mathematics and just going back to my hometown's polytech to learn carpentry

gonna have a workshop one day

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

coffeetable posted:

every time i see i a nice bit of woodwork, i fleetingly consider abandoning software, abandoning mathematics and just going back to my hometown's polytech to learn carpentry

gonna have a workshop one day

tellin' you guys, woodworking is the way to go. after 15 years in IT computer horseshit i feel qualified to say this
i am not joking or being ironic
take heed young yosposters

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my dream is to do some artisanal craft like woodworking or bicycle repair but i just cant imagine them paying the bills but it sure would be nice to love what i do

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i would imagine woodworking is a thing where you can only make decent stacks doing it if you're really really good so you can charge 3k for a loving coffee table

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I'm trying to get into woodworking but man the start up costs are not insignificant. like all the tools you gotta get, whether hand or power, are not cheap, and the materials are also v expensive unless you own a literal lumber mill

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Bloody posted:

my dream is to do some artisanal craft like woodworking or bicycle repair but i just cant imagine them paying the bills but it sure would be nice to love what i do

I would quit all this computer stuff in a heartbeat if being a professional musician wasn't a guarantee of total destitution

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cold on a Cob posted:

i would imagine woodworking is a thing where you can only make decent stacks doing it if you're really really good so you can charge 3k for a loving coffee table
my ultimate goal is to split time between stuff like dining room tables and hand built guitar amps

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

it's not mandatory to be too specific. my friend is a carpenter - he does carpentry related things. for example, his main day job is doing theatrical carpentry which is mainly comprised of theatre sets (his first love, the theatre) and then sometimes he gets tv and film gigs. on top of that people u work with who like your work hire you for things on the side. so he does interior and exterior custom work for people and they refer him etc etc and at the end of the day you've got a decent stack of money, callused hands, a pickup full of sawdust, and an honest living.

The Best Christmas
May 13, 2011

was gonna say "you could be a teacher" but I have no clue if america has shop classes

y...you all have shop classes right. like you have one for woodworking and one for autoshop etcetc and you have to do one for a semester by requirement so it gets kids who might have never touched equipment to try it

I swear to god if you don't have those

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The Best Christmas posted:

was gonna say "you could be a teacher" but I have no clue if america has shop classes

y...you all have shop classes right. like you have one for woodworking and one for autoshop etcetc and you have to do one for a semester by requirement so it gets kids who might have never touched equipment to try it

no they r cutting them by the fist-full they r mostly gone now

sports
Sep 1, 2012
loving what u do makes u burn out quicker

for real tho as a young yosposter im building up hobbies- fishing and woodworking

The Best Christmas
May 13, 2011

Smythe posted:

no they r cutting them by the fist-full they r mostly gone now

america is a a shameful place

everyone come to canada, the further away from toronto you are the most square acres you get to gently caress around with

also our internet is bad enough where posting is the only option, so it suits ur needs

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Jonny 290 posted:

my ultimate goal is to split time between stuff like dining room tables and hand built guitar amps

You should build a monster 128 channel mixer and then spend the rest of your time playing with the knobs and faders. Endless joy

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

i would def take up taxidermy if i had some land where i could macerate rotting flesh without having to deal with the smell anywhere near my house

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

america is a a shameful place

everyone come to canada, the further away from toronto you are the most square acres you get to gently caress around with

also our internet is bad enough where posting is the only option, so it suits ur needs

thanks for reminding me that i am sad i moved to toronto :(

more like the worst christmas

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

sat. posted:

i would def take up taxidermy if i had some land where i could macerate rotting flesh without having to deal with the smell anywhere near my house

gross dude do u look weird irl like all tall and gangly and like long creepy fingers and stuff?

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

Smythe posted:

gross dude do u look weird irl like all tall and gangly and like long creepy fingers and stuff?

no i dont work in it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i have an interest in nuclear physics but it's not like you cab build a reactor in your back yard.

there was this one kid who kinda did but it didn't really end well

he bought old smoke detectors wholesale and got the americum-241 out and built a contraption with lots of tin foil

in doing so he irradiated half the neighbourhood

his reason for doing all that was trying to get a scout merit badge

lol

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 25, 2013

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

spankmeister posted:

i have an interest in nuclear physics but it's not like you cab build a reactor in your back yard.

there was this one kid who kinda did but it didn't really end well

he bought old smoke detectors wholesale and got the americum-241 out and built a contraption with lots of tin foil

in doing so he irradiated half the neighbourhood

his reason for doing all that was trying to get a scout merit badge

lol

he didn't irradiate half the neighborhood and the overreaction against this kid was as sickening a display of cowardly torches & pitchforks as I can remember.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

rotor posted:

he didn't irradiate half the neighborhood and the overreaction against this kid was as sickening a display of cowardly torches & pitchforks as I can remember.

Is this the scout in question?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

we got rid of most of those during the 80s

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yes

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

sports posted:

loving what u do makes u burn out quicker

i dont know if that's true but i do know that doing what you love as a 9-5 is a great way to destroy that love.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

rotor posted:

oh i thought he did but i agree they way way overreacted.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

spankmeister posted:

it's not nuclear but

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Electron-Accelerator-A-Cathode-Ray-Tube-in-a-/

and if you can build a CRT, you just need a tungsten target to get xrays

which are really dangerous and probably illegal or something

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

build a cloud chamber from all that crap left over from O/Cing your pentium back in '99

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-Cloud-Chamber-using-Peltier-Coolers/

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Smythe posted:

at the end of the day you've got a decent stack of money, callused hands, a pickup full of sawdust, and an honest living.

carpentry is truly the most noble profession, as jesus christ our lord and saviour proved.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

yeah I bet he was thinking about the craftsmanship of the crucifix that he carried and was nailed to by the jews allegedly

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

i went to middle school toronto (lol, gently caress you) and we had a semester of shop class in both grades 7 and 8.

got to use a bandsaw. :cool:

because it was actually "design technology" we also learned basic engineering stuff. we were divided into teams had to build an "oil derrick" of a minimum height out of straws, hot glue and squares of cardboard, which were then tested by putting weights on top. the one that held the most weight won. we got a set amount of supplies at the beginning and we could "buy" more in exchange for a reduction in the recorded load capacity of the derrick; so if you bought 5 hot glue sticks you would have 100g docked from your final load or whatever.

my design didn't use any extra supplies and still held twice as much as any one else's.

maybe i should've been a structural engineer?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
heh so ive been wanting to electronic it up a bit and tonight discovered this http://www.fasttech.com/products/1008/10000015/1001700-arduino-uno-r3-rev3-development-board and its prolly overkill for anything yeah who cares i think its gonna be a fun thing to start loving around with

so id need that
a breadboard
a power supply to the uno?
breadboard cabbbbblllleesss
and prolly some kind of display?

i mean look at this http://www.fasttech.com/products/1005/10002601/1193100-nokia-5110-8448-graphical-lcd-display-module i mean i know poo poo can be cheap but yeah that cheap? shieeeett i could make all sorts of worthless temperature sensors for like 10x the price of buying one straight out

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

echinopsis posted:

heh so ive been wanting to electronic it up a bit and tonight discovered this http://www.fasttech.com/products/1008/10000015/1001700-arduino-uno-r3-rev3-development-board and its prolly overkill for anything yeah who cares i think its gonna be a fun thing to start loving around with

so id need that
a breadboard
a power supply to the uno?
breadboard cabbbbblllleesss
and prolly some kind of display?

i mean look at this http://www.fasttech.com/products/1005/10002601/1193100-nokia-5110-8448-graphical-lcd-display-module i mean i know poo poo can be cheap but yeah that cheap? shieeeett i could make all sorts of worthless temperature sensors for like 10x the price of buying one straight out

that's a screen off a 5110, so clearly you must play snake on it. write your own version in avr assembly because you can.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if by "play snake" you mean "play with my dick" well i can tell you i dont need no screen to do it and in fact i can only imagine tears + blood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

trying to make a chromiumos partition on the slowly dying family computer

its not going well