Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
That reminds me. An intersection near my place recently went to flashing yellow and red for main/cross traffic. Awesome, I think, but everyone around here apparently has no idea what that means and just stops across all four lanes and starts waving at each other.

I blow through at speed like you're supposed to, maybe I'll be an example, but I have this feeling that someone on the side street is going to think "oh he'll stop".

Laid on the horn at some lady the other day as she came to a stop for NOBODY at the flashing yellow. No no, sir, I'll wait until the count of three before proceeding thank you very much.

drat it. I was so happy about the flashing signal, too, because it's usually an empty intersection but is on a straight timer without sensors. Only one at the light? Nobody else on the street? Hold on the other side has the green turn arrow.

Man. I really don't like the traffic lights near me. It's getting to the point I'm treating almost all of them like stop signs, and I know I'm going to eat a ticket for it some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Horns seem to enrage people for no reason. Instead, I'll either just wait behind an idiot or go around the idiot.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I gotta say, I do miss having a fire truck air horn on my Jeep. It was on a separate valve so I could use the regular mostly polite horn or the "no seriously, what the gently caress man" horn.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

On an '85 Mustang I had years back the PO had gone to the trouble of mounting an air compressor in the engine bay and he had hooked it up to a small bi-tone train horn. It was wired up the same as kastein's and boy howdy could it make people jump, I think I only ever used it a couple times in frustration but it got the point across.

My biggest regret is not taking it with me to the next car. :smith:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

One of the things I’m most proud of on my very custom Jeep is the horn.

There are five of them. And I replaced the fuse with an automatic breaker a long time ago.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 1, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Protocol7 posted:

I don't know what your point is. Most people driving today would probably fail a driving test - hell, I probably would too. You should always drive as if the guy next to you is trying to kill you, because he probably is, he just doesn't know it yet.

I mean it's a dumb solution to a bad problem, don't get me wrong, but I don't think anyone in Georgia will see a spike in substantially worse driving.

Heh, same way. When I taught my kid I basically said, "look, not everything I teach you is by the book...it is to keep you alive from everyone else."

Sure enough goes to take the drivers test. I knew we were hosed from the get-go. It was literally Beulah Balbricker from Porky's doppelganger dressed in a white parka that would make the Michelin man jealous. Fails test. Fails second test. Now failing the third required quite a substantial waiting period, but hey, he passed. Just a power trip from the BMV.

Several years later time to renew my license. After the previous incident I started going to a different branch. I'll be god danged she was working there, and out of the 50 people waiting and around 12 agents I get stuck with her. She had a major problem with my SS card that had a rip and I used tape on it. Supervisor basically told her to go gently caress herself and I felt a slight amount of vindication.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/m7qm4p/georgia-driver-license-road-tests-suspended

quote:

Teens, as we all know, are the worst drivers. Study after study has proven this. It’s true that handing them their licenses without making them demonstrate any actual ability to drive safely would be bad.

The problem is, that’s exactly what we do in this country. Passing a road test does not demonstrate anything except one’s ability to pass the road test. It is a joke, an absurd measure for driver safety that doesn’t pass the most basic of sniff tests. It is so completely dismissed as anything of societal value that road tests are barely even mentioned in the vast academic literature about car crashes.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

madeintaipei posted:

Truth. I drive for a living, driving is the whole point of what I do. Like, it says so on the side of my vehicle. The semi drivers are being cool, we still have that solidarity. The dick weeds in convoy driving Infinti's with fart cans, drifting sideways through traffic? What essential poo poo are they up to? Why the gently caress are the police not doing a drat thing? This whole episode is showing up how lawless people are willing to be and how useless the police are at stopping that. All they've done is pick up more side work at construction sites during this. Public workers, my rear end. Getting paid to sleep in the car.
Over the past few weeks I have seen several convoys of V8s, sometimes just Mustangs, sometimes Mustangs and their Camaro and Challenger friends.

Gas is cheap as hell.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CannonFodder posted:

Over the past few weeks I have seen several convoys of V8s, sometimes just Mustangs, sometimes Mustangs and their Camaro and Challenger friends.

Gas is cheap as hell.

Getting their last miles in before turning them over to the bank

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Getting their last miles in before turning them over to the bank

I'm starting to see a lot more 'nice' cars on FB marketplace lately with people looking for buyers to take over payments or a lease.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

TotalLossBrain posted:

I'm starting to see a lot more 'nice' cars on FB marketplace lately with people looking for buyers to take over payments or a lease.

oh god i havent even thought to look at this slaughterhouse lets go take a peek

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 1, 2020

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
https://twitter.com/Bromethazine_/status/1256368687659077632?s=19

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

She's not even wearing a mask. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I will grant her that stopping in the crosswalk is an idiot move, but lol at actually getting outwardly mad about it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Not to mention that it’s Florida, so she pretty much forfeited her own life the second she opened the car door given their stand your ground laws.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
My city converted a major freeway from an at grade intersection to an overpass, they painted all the lines on the intersection a couple days ago. They installed brand new brick crosswalks (which suck for traction) and painted stop lines ~10 feet after the crosswalk. :cripes:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

devmd01 posted:

Not to mention that it’s Florida, so she pretty much forfeited her own life the second she opened the car door given their stand your ground laws.

I didn't see a bag of Skittles or a can of Arizona Ice Tea in her hand.

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

devmd01 posted:

90s Solo Cup posted:

I didn't see a bag of Skittles or a can of Arizona Ice Tea in her hand.

:drat:

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Full magical story: https://imgur.com/gallery/t2L7dn8

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:honk:

https://twitter.com/Roscopcoletrain/status/1258214039345418241

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You don't gently caress with geese this time of year. I give em a big berth until the babies are flying.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Had some dipshit get really pissed when after signaling my turn their pathetic Chevy subcompact was unable to accelerate hard enough to stop my merge. They talegated me for a while and only after passing me by several car lengths did they have the guts to flip me off as they sped off. I mean, if you're gonna road rage at least have the guts to curse at me at the light.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What I love about people who are really committed to not letting me merge ahead of them, assuming it's not heavy traffic, is that they will inevitably go so fast in an effort to prevent it that I can easily tap the brakes, merge behind them no problem, and then I have someone in front of me looking out for cops! Frankly, I wish more people would get offended by the idea of me going faster than them and flush out speedtraps for me.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

PT6A posted:

What I love about people who are really committed to not letting me merge ahead of them, assuming it's not heavy traffic, is that they will inevitably go so fast in an effort to prevent it that I can easily tap the brakes, merge behind them no problem, and then I have someone in front of me looking out for cops! Frankly, I wish more people would get offended by the idea of me going faster than them and flush out speedtraps for me.

That would be fine but I find the people that do that the most are also the types that then slow down to 5 under after blocking me out.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

bigbillystyle posted:

That would be fine but I find the people that do that the most are also the types that then slow down to 5 under after blocking me out.

Yeah, it’s so dumb and annoying. They don’t want to go fast, they just don’t want you to “win.”

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
When I used to commute a stupid number of miles every day (140 to 190) I ran into those far too often, and the wannabe traffic dictators who try to enforce the speed limit for the state. So glad I don't really have to deal with those idiots anymore... Not looking forward to a long commute I'll probably end up with again soon.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/J0Xjsvk.mp4

EDIT: Sorry can't get this video to post inline.

EDIT EDIT: Thank you! Will try to remember that for next time.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 16, 2020

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

https://imgur.com/a/6dwxBXv

EDIT: Sorry can't get this video to post inline.

https://i.imgur.com/J0Xjsvk.mp4

right click -> view video -> copy URL

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/facebookvillain/status/1263136294064046083

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://twitter.com/jonathonj1970/status/1265111756147433473?s=19

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
I was behind a car yesterday that I swear had their brake lights wired backwards. All three lights on until they got to an off ramp, then the center light turned off, and the taillights dimmed. Lights all came back on after they slowed down. I didn’t know that was even possible.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I was on the highway at night a few months ago and saw a car ahead with strobing brake lights, I thought it was some kind of emergency vehicle until I got closer and realized that the sound system was rhythmically dimming every light.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I was on the highway at night a few months ago and saw a car ahead with strobing brake lights, I thought it was some kind of emergency vehicle until I got closer and realized that the sound system was rhythmically dimming every light.

I drive a Chrysler minivan for work that does it with a fresh battery, fresh alternator, and the stock stereo. Standing caps are your friend, CryMo is your frenemy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

borkencode posted:

I was behind a car yesterday that I swear had their brake lights wired backwards. All three lights on until they got to an off ramp, then the center light turned off, and the taillights dimmed. Lights all came back on after they slowed down. I didn’t know that was even possible.

It's a bad ground. It's always a bad ground. Unless it's three separate bad grounds.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Somehow smashed through two corner fences and a street sign. Entire driver (right) side rear is destroyed. Nobody seems super keen to clean any of it up; there's wrecked car bits scattered everywhere.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Law of the sea, claim it as salvage.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

https://twitter.com/jsin86524368/status/1267304975069261824

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oofta

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Of course all the comments are Musk apologists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Even if autopilot didn't know what to do with the flipped over truck, surely it would have identified the guy standing in the road 100 feet before it, right?