Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

BCBUDDHA posted:

just ordered the stc-1000 on a whim after seeing a sois vide dish on reddit, Does anybody find they need to use a small aquarium water pump or anything? or is a crock pot full of water good enough for most applications?

Yeah I used the STC-1000 for a while with a crock pot and it was fine without an aquarium pump. I would just save the money and put it towards a sansaire, etc. when you outgrow the STC-1000. Crock pots fill up surprisingly quickly once you get a few bags in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCBUDDHA
Jul 19, 2014
Any rules when it comes to blow torches? any gasses I wanna stay away from to avoid loving up the meat's taste?

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008

BCBUDDHA posted:

Any rules when it comes to blow torches? any gasses I wanna stay away from to avoid loving up the meat's taste?

You're either going to use propane or MAP. The difference is something like 150 degrees (3600 vs 3750) or something like that. I doubt it matters.

But, I would recommend getting a searzall, and they say that their device is propane only.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Get a TS8000, you can use any gas, it seems to not be the gas but the temperature that affects flavor.

The Pell posted:

You're either going to use propane or MAP. The difference is something like 150 degrees (3600 vs 3750) or something like that. I doubt it matters.

But, I would recommend getting a searzall, and they say that their device is propane only.

It's not temperature that makes the TS8000 better than the 4K, it's BTU ouput (almost twice as much on the 8K).

deimos fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 25, 2015

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you're not using a Searzall I was much happier with my TS4000 when I switched from propane to MAPP pro.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have a TS7000 and I'm stuck trying to figure out 1) how I got it and 2) how it's different from the 8000. For the record, it fits my Searzall pretty well.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I had a T1000 for a while but it turned out not only was its BTU output pretty low, it actually broke when exposed to high heat.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So I tried making Mango's technique for BSCBs cooked in red tamale sauce, but I'm not sure where I went wrong but I used this recipe for the sauce:

http://www.food.com/recipe/red-chili-sauce-to-be-used-with-traditional-tamales-15301

And cooked with a few cheap (Costco pre-brined) frozen BSCBs for 100 min at 140 and I dunno it was very juicy but the texture was a bit weird and the chicken just didn't have enough flavor when I shredded them and made tacos.

Maybe I should try it with thighs? I was looking for some ideas to make chicken breasts better.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 26, 2015

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

So I tried making Mango's technique for BSCBs cooked in red tamale sauce, but I'm not sure where I went wrong but I used this recipe for the sauce:

http://www.food.com/recipe/red-chili-sauce-to-be-used-with-traditional-tamales-15301

And cooked with a few cheap (Costco pre-brined) frozen BSCBs for 100 min at 140 and I dunno it was very juicy but the texture was a bit weird and the chicken just didn't have enough flavor when I shredded them and made tacos.

Maybe I should try it with thighs? I was looking for some ideas to make chicken breasts better.

I do chicken breasts to just eat whole for about that long, maybe longer. To shred the meat I did like three or four hours to get things tender and easy to to just shred. The amount of time you did would be a good juicy breast to eat like whole or in chunks, but I can't imagine it shredded well.

Also, try fresh/better chicken maybe? The stuff my market sells (Sprouts) are like abnormally large but taste good.

Sorry I lead you astray on this one...

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

BraveUlysses posted:

The Costco pre-brined BSCBs may be the issue -- if they're the ones I'm thinking of (3 breasts/pack, 10 packs per package), you need to totally defrost them and dry them before bagging for sous vide. I thought I would be clever and bag them still frozen, let them defrost in vacuum bag, and puddle, but they came out offensively rubbery. Subsequent attempts worked if I made sure to totally defrost, dry and season before putting them in the water, though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Tried it again, this time I thawed them and cooked for 4.5 hours, much much better. I still think the texture is better for burritos or enchiladas than tacos.

Maybe I'll try it with thighs next time.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gonna try two things today, in preparation for dinner tomorrow, sous vide potatoes and caramelized onions.

The potatoes are going in a gratin, so I will just mandolin them, vizzle at 85C and cool. Then tomorrow I can just open the bag and add them to the baking dish, add the rest and throw in oven. Simple enough. But the onions is something new. I came across this recipe:

http://www.orgasmicchef.com/soup/sous-vide-caramelised-onions/

The gist of it is, sautée onion, bag it, vizzle for a day at 85C / 186F

Anyone tried it? It's not that hard to caramelize onions in the pan, but there is always the risk of burning etc. Being able to get a large amount of evenly caramelized onions would be great.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Pressure cooker caramelized onions are still my favorite.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

deimos posted:

Pressure cooker caramelized onions are still my favorite.

I like the crock pot method.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Is it really worth my while spending $170 to get a Anova Precision Cooker (or any sous vide cooker)? I'm sort of interested, but not rabidly so. I just don't want it to become a really expensive gadget that doesn't get used much. Thoughts?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Is it really worth my while spending $170 to get a Anova Precision Cooker (or any sous vide cooker)? I'm sort of interested, but not rabidly so. I just don't want it to become a really expensive gadget that doesn't get used much. Thoughts?

None of us can answer that for you without knowing your cooking and eating habits. For me, it was worthwhile, because I like being able to be hands off at times, able to do some fire and forget stuff, and I eat a lot of meat, which tends to be the most beneficial thing for it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

G-Prime posted:

None of us can answer that for you without knowing your cooking and eating habits. For me, it was worthwhile, because I like being able to be hands off at times, able to do some fire and forget stuff, and I eat a lot of meat, which tends to be the most beneficial thing for it.

I do have a quarter cow incoming, so meat supplies aren't an issue. Most of my food is homemade (by my wife, who has no interest is sous vide) so I like food made with skill and care. I just wish I could rent one to see how I like using it and the results I get before I drop $170.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Realistically, if you eat meat several times a week (and other things, meat is just the thing that convinced ME), and want it cooked to your exact specifications, with very little babysitting, it's a godsend. This week, I've made beef shortribs (which are absolutely incredible, though time consuming), and perfectly cooked medium pork chops. I've got a corned beef brisket that will probably be going in some time this weekend. I make steak generally once a week with it. Ever had a soft, juicy chicken breast? Not stringy, not dry, just perfect. You can do that with one of these. Easily. It's worth it, in my opinion.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Indolent Bastard posted:

I got one through the kickstarter and was completely sold on it the first time I used it to make eggs:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

I do have a quarter cow incoming, so meat supplies aren't an issue. Most of my food is homemade (by my wife, who has no interest is sous vide) so I like food made with skill and care. I just wish I could rent one to see how I like using it and the results I get before I drop $170.

Perhaps the higher effort but lower dollar solution of crock pot or rice cooker with temp controller is worth a try? Like the STC-1000 mentioned at the top of this page: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3573640&perpage=40&pagenumber=71#post440681953

If you leave it, you'd still have the crock pot or the rice cooker. I don't know if that thing needs more hardware, I bought a SousVideMagic for around $150 some years ago, haven't had a need do upgrade and I do more sous vide than I cook rice in the rice cooker.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Ola posted:

Perhaps the higher effort but lower dollar solution of crock pot or rice cooker with temp controller is worth a try? Like the STC-1000 mentioned at the top of this page: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3573640&perpage=40&pagenumber=71#post440681953

If you leave it, you'd still have the crock pot or the rice cooker. I don't know if that thing needs more hardware, I bought a SousVideMagic for around $150 some years ago, haven't had a need do upgrade and I do more sous vide than I cook rice in the rice cooker.

The annoying part about a crockpot is that I have one but it has digital controls so won't work for a PID system and I don't want a second one eating up space. For the extra $20 I think I'd be happier with the pot mounted type.

Schpyder posted:

I got one through the kickstarter and was completely sold on it the first time I used it to make eggs:

I want to try eggs, but the constant mention of "watery" egg whites makes me want to barf. I hope when or if I make eggs they aren't "watery".

I think the real answer is that I should do more recipe research and see if a sous vide cooker will be worthwhile for me.

Thanks for the input everyone.

E: With the Anova Precision Cooker's video it shows zip-lock bags and not vacuum sealed ones, can I skip buying a vacuum sealer or are they more necessary than the video makes out?

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 29, 2015

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Just cook them a few degrees higher and the whites will firm up. That's the beauty of sous vide, you can control the temperature to the exact degree you want.

edit: You can skip the vacuum sealer to start, but you'll probably find you'll want one if you do a lot of sous vide cooking. Without the vacuum sealer you have to use water displacement to push the air out of a ziploc. It works pretty well but can leave a little air in and cause your food to float which means you'll need to turn it and move it around a bit as it cooks so all sides are evenly cooked (or weight it down in the bath with something heavy).

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 29, 2015

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
You can try the cooler method for short cooks, like for a steak or eggs. It requires some fiddling but then you can get a sense for the idea of some of the results of this method of cooking.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My first attempt at sous vide was a big pot full of water on the stove, regular stove thermometer suspended in it, and beef in bread bags vacuumed by submerging in water. It means you have to watch a thermometer for an hour, but it is the cheapest way of seeing if a sous vide steak is for you. If it, then you can up the ante. Shouldn't cost you more than $10.

My onions are sealed and stewing now, was not surprised that slightly sautéed onions screwed up my sealer. Ended up doing a suck-and-tie plastic bag seal of the onions, then bagging it along with my anti vegetative buoyancy device (a vacuum sealed stone). Not too happy about going to work with it sitting at 85C. I will see how much water evaporates overnight. Even if there's double redundancy (both rice cooker and controller cuts out), the reward isn't worth the risk.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

The annoying part about a crockpot is that I have one but it has digital controls so won't work for a PID system and I don't want a second one eating up space. For the extra $20 I think I'd be happier with the pot mounted type.

Keep in mind the STC-1000 is only $20 + ~$10 for a junction box, cable, plug and socket to wire it cleanly.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Indolent Bastard posted:

I want to try eggs, but the constant mention of "watery" egg whites makes me want to barf. I hope when or if I make eggs they aren't "watery".

I think the real answer is that I should do more recipe research and see if a sous vide cooker will be worthwhile for me.

Thanks for the input everyone.

E: With the Anova Precision Cooker's video it shows zip-lock bags and not vacuum sealed ones, can I skip buying a vacuum sealer or are they more necessary than the video makes out?

I've done eggs once since I got mine, I did them for 13 minutes or so at 75C rather than the longer cook and there was some watery white, but that was the crap that would be lost conventionally poaching eggs.

I got mine because I won some money betting on football and I like to cook. I'm not going to be an extremely heavy user of it but if you like to cook and feel like you have the money spare then its a good idea

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Ola posted:

My first attempt at sous vide was a big pot full of water on the stove, regular stove thermometer suspended in it, and beef in bread bags vacuumed by submerging in water. It means you have to watch a thermometer for an hour, but it is the cheapest way of seeing if a sous vide steak is for you. If it, then you can up the ante. Shouldn't cost you more than $10.

My onions are sealed and stewing now, was not surprised that slightly sautéed onions screwed up my sealer. Ended up doing a suck-and-tie plastic bag seal of the onions, then bagging it along with my anti vegetative buoyancy device (a vacuum sealed stone). Not too happy about going to work with it sitting at 85C. I will see how much water evaporates overnight. Even if there's double redundancy (both rice cooker and controller cuts out), the reward isn't worth the risk.

Errm, wouldn't have done that, if you didn't sautee them enough they will explode your bags.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The thing to remember is sous vide is only getting more popular and prices are only going down. I've used a friend's a couple times, but I'm not getting one of my own until it passes the $100 price point. I can justify a $95 (or whatever) gadget much more readily than a $170 one.

In the meantime, for perfect eggs that you can control almost as precisely, do the ATK steaming thing.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R
A group here in town is getting ready to launch an induction cooktop with wireless thermometer that they're marketing as a sous vide cooker: https://firstbuild.com/paragon-friends-family

I tried a steak cooked on the prototype, and it seemed to work well. I've been thinking about getting a countertop induction burner anyway, so for $130 (the first day of the "crowdfunding" campaign only :rolleyes:), I might give it a shot.

Any reasons why this might actually be terrible?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
after a couple weeks of using my anova, the high points are :

a. eggs. it sucks you still have to quick poach a 62.5 degree egg to set the white, but the eggs are phenomenal. I did a dozen 62.5's and my wife and I ate them all in like 4 days. it's cool to just have like eggs you know are already cooked perfectly onhand. it's like, making a steak? why not drop a 62.5 degree egg in the frying pan at the last second to go with? done.

b. vegetables - it's nice to be able to perfectly cook a ton of vegetables really precisely with minimal cleanup. I blanched a mess of asparagus the other night, took ten minutes, everything was seasoned perfectly, and I could drop them all in an icewater bath to set the color without messing up any flavors or getting them watery.

c. meat - it's set it and forget it. it's so awesome to be able to cook off a protein, drop it in an icewater bath, then just set it in the fridge for searing off later. it made confit so amazingly simple, which keeps for months.

d. bulk - I haven't used it for this yet, but I think it'll come really in handy when I throw dinner parties. getting 15 duck breasts cooked exactly right is usually a challenge. with a circulator, gently caress, I barely have to lift a finger

e. mess - it's wasteful to cook poo poo in plastic bags, but goddamn does it make cleanup easy...

flavors are not that much different though. I feel like you need a vacuum chamber sealer to really do the cool stuff like 'compressed' fruit and all that. but ohwell, I don't mind.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

flavors are not that much different though. I feel like you need a vacuum chamber sealer to really do the cool stuff like 'compressed' fruit and all that. but ohwell, I don't mind.

Freeze the fruit and then thaw, and then vacuum. The ice crystals will break up the plant fibers and cell walls, which makes them easy to vacuum compress.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

deimos posted:

Errm, wouldn't have done that, if you didn't sautee them enough they will explode your bags.

Looks like I did, because the bag hardly inflated at all. Onions came out lovely, not deep and nutty brown but nice and sweet and with a bit of tang. Will definitely do this again.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

mindphlux posted:

d. bulk - I haven't used it for this yet, but I think it'll come really in handy when I throw dinner parties. getting 15 duck breasts cooked exactly right is usually a challenge. with a circulator, gently caress, I barely have to lift a finger

e. mess - it's wasteful to cook poo poo in plastic bags, but goddamn does it make cleanup easy...

f. Fish - take salmon. Salmon changes radically with every degree you heat it 118F, 120F and 122F salmon are recognizably different. I never got salmon right at home. Not once. Never. Now? I did NINE POUNDS and every piece was perfect. Note that I did this at the start of the month, and I just ate the last of it YESTERDAY and it was PERFECT.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Steve Yun posted:

Freeze the fruit and then thaw, and then vacuum. The ice crystals will break up the plant fibers and cell walls, which makes them easy to vacuum compress.

Is that how you did the compressed watermelon for that Hannibal dinner a while back?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yep

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I've seen some chuck eye steaks at the grocery store recently, which I know are supposed to be a good, cheap cut of meat. However, I haven't found any guidelines on how long I am supposed to cook them for. I suspect it would cook around the same time as a ribeye or a strip steak, but I believe that other cuts of strip steaks can take longer to cook. All I really found was one site that said "not to exceed a couple of hours."

Also, what is the purpose of including a little bit of olive oil in the bag for some sous vide recipes? I understand that it adds flavor, but if the meat is being seared, then whatever olive oil remains would still have a lower smoke point and at least in my kitchen with the piece of poo poo hood that I have, it will create a lot of smoke even if I am using a high smoke point oil like grapeseed. Is that an unnecessary step or do I just need to be extra diligent about drying off the meat before searing?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

mindphlux posted:

a. eggs. it sucks you still have to quick poach a 62.5 degree egg to set the white, but the eggs are phenomenal. I did a dozen 62.5's and my wife and I ate them all in like 4 days. it's cool to just have like eggs you know are already cooked perfectly onhand. it's like, making a steak? why not drop a 62.5 degree egg in the frying pan at the last second to go with? done.

b. vegetables - it's nice to be able to perfectly cook a ton of vegetables really precisely with minimal cleanup. I blanched a mess of asparagus the other night, took ten minutes, everything was seasoned perfectly, and I could drop them all in an icewater bath to set the color without messing up any flavors or getting them watery.

c. meat - it's set it and forget it. it's so awesome to be able to cook off a protein, drop it in an icewater bath, then just set it in the fridge for searing off later. it made confit so amazingly simple, which keeps for months.

Sorry but could you elaborate on these just a bit? How do you store and reheat the the 62.5 degree eggs to keep the texture right? And I guess really the same question for the vegetables and the meat. I have mainly been using my Anova to cook cuts of meat, but I would love to get more mileage out of it by doing some things like this in bulk.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Drop egg in bath of 62.5 degree water for forty five minutes. Take them out, ice bath to prevent further cooking and throw them in the fridge (I skip the bath out of laziness). When you want a perfect poached egg just toss into boiling water until whites set, ~1 min.

Meat/veggies you do want to do the ice bath for sure. They'll be good for a long period of time so long as you pasteurize it. Just substitute the boiling water for cast iron/whatever to sear.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Any suggestions for doing a boneless leg of lamb? It came vacuum sealed from the store, but I think I want to break it open and rebag so that I can add some spices. I was planning on bagging it up tonight, then putting it in before I leave for work tomorrow or Wednesday morning. I'm planning on doing 12h at 135, followed by 10 minutes in a 500 degree oven.