Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Good to know. I'll unplug my GPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

NBA All-Injury First Team
Has anyone here with a GPS enabled dash cam ever given their footage to the police or their insurance? I get some of the qualms about hurting yourself with GPS data but I assume they don't ask for the raw footage from your dashcam and you could easily strip out audio or GPS from the file you give them if you don't think it would help your case. Or is that not legal? How would they even know you had GPS unless you told them or used a program that overlaid that information onto the video?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Not GPS data, but I have given dashcam video to the police for a theft that I saw (and reported.)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo Dallas was driving stupid tonight. I think I saw at least 5 different cars make turns from non-turning lanes, but I only pulled the worst one.

Appetizer: Dude driving the wrong way down a one-way street:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuX1yJKsQUQ
Why don't people feel like they can bloody stop and turn around when this happens?

Main Course: The Bad Turn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJx5iEKypXg
After narrowly not killing him, I proceed to trash talk the back of his van for another half-mile until he turns off. Highlights include briefly becoming British, refusing Honda friendship and threatening him with 17 year old Eminem lyrics. I have no idea what the gently caress was wrong with me tonight :shrug:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 20, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Takes No Damage posted:

Why don't people feel like they can bloody stop and turn around when this happens?

Because it's not their favourite thing!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

Because it's not their favourite thing!

Louis CK is my homeboy :whatup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8062QEFk5g

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

nm posted:

In a lawsuit, there would be some issues actually introducing it as evidence. In dealing with adjusters and what not, it could make it more difficult.
Note thatcthere are states where 1 mph can mean a lot. In Minnesota, if you are speeding, you lose all ROW at intersections.

Thanks for the expert opinion.

Not mine, but I enjoyed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZAAlXXGtMI

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

spog posted:

Thanks for the expert opinion.

Not mine, but I enjoyed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZAAlXXGtMI

That evo looks exceptionally lucky. Did he really hit nothing?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I mean, if you're in the wrong lane just say gently caress it and turn. (Hooray for my first accident caught on camera; sorry there is no huge fireball.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeQhYXBKTI0

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

nm posted:

That evo looks exceptionally lucky. Did he really hit nothing?

He slide over a traffic island which is one kerb-high.

So, I guess that depending on his luck, he may have missed everything, or ripped off his exhaust, or smashed an suspension arm or, hopefully, mashed up his frame.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

how do you even do that in an Evo? arent they basically 'point steering wheel, mash gas, win game' ?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Laserface posted:

how do you even do that in an Evo? arent they basically 'point steering wheel, mash gas, win game' ?

Probably poo poo tires I'd wager.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Lift off oversteer I reckon.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

PenisMonkey posted:

I mean, if you're in the wrong lane just say gently caress it and turn.

He did it to put the biker in his place. If all he needed to do was change lanes he easily could've snuck in behind the bike, it's not like the box truck was going to gun it off the line.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Some of the Sheep posted:

Lift off oversteer I reckon.

+1

Looks exactly like that.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

PenisMonkey posted:

I mean, if you're in the wrong lane just say gently caress it and turn. (Hooray for my first accident caught on camera; sorry there is no huge fireball.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeQhYXBKTI0

I applaud your music selection, PenisMonkey.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I can't take the credit as it was selected by the DJ on the 80s station.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Driving near the local college is always entertaining. This guy is already half way over the white line when the video starts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeCjX-aGEoA

Probably should've predicted he'd pull in front of me at the end, but, I wasn't really expecting him to floor it off the line and catch up to me.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PhoenixWing posted:

Driving near the local college is always entertaining. This guy is already half way over the white line when the video starts.

Probably should've predicted he'd pull in front of me at the end, but, I wasn't really expecting him to floor it off the line and catch up to me.

Is lane-splitting up to the front at the lights legal there?

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

The Locator posted:

Is lane-splitting up to the front at the lights legal there?

Yes, I'm in California. At least here its uncommon to find bikes *not* filtering to the front. I know he saw me at the last light though, as I looked over at him when I pulled up.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

PhoenixWing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeCjX-aGEoA

I thought the point of lane-splitting up to the front was because motorcycles launch a lot faster than regular cars. If you're not gonna out-pull a Saturn Ion shouldn't you just stay in second?

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

davebo posted:

I thought the point of lane-splitting up to the front was because motorcycles launch a lot faster than regular cars. If you're not gonna out-pull a Saturn Ion shouldn't you just stay in second?

Generally I launch hard at most lights, not really sure why I decided not to there. I guess it was the short jump to the next light, lesson learned :downs:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Lane-splitting just seems in general to be a dumb practice to me.

I guess it's a good thing I live in a state where it's illegal.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

As a pedestrian seeing that motorist pull right through the crosswalk incenses me to no end. Just wait for the goddamn light to turn green.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MikeyTsi posted:

it's only dumb when people can't wrap their heads around it. Compared with the filtering I saw in Europe, it looks practically like roads in the States and Canada are designed for filtering. You didn't have to weave between mirrors or anything!

Still, I have to admit I'd be fairly pissed if someone filtered from "directly behind me" to "beside me" and proceeded to not launch quickly. That doesn't mean I'd do an unsafe thing as a result, but I wouldn't be at all pleased.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

As a pedestrian seeing that motorist pull right through the crosswalk incenses me to no end. Just wait for the goddamn light to turn green.

I think it comes from driving manuals too long and then switching to an automatic; that's the only thing that even starts to make sense to me, although it's still not an excuse.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

PT6A posted:

I think it comes from driving manuals too long and then switching to an automatic; that's the only thing that even starts to make sense to me, although it's still not an excuse.

But if you're a hot rod coolbro like Mr. Saturn Ion there you gotta throw your auto into neutral at stop lights so you can get off the brake and make everyone think you have a manual like all the awesome dudes.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
Some dashcam highlights from recently. The video definitely slows things down a bit it seems.

Taurus driving on wrong side on narrow road (blind corner): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQTNw8r7m-A

Parking in Queens - so many big speed bumps and tight and reserved spots (and also, I can't decide): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM7ecA9rK8Y

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

PhoenixWing posted:

Generally I launch hard at most lights, not really sure why I decided not to there. I guess it was the short jump to the next light, lesson learned :downs:

It doesn't matter, if you had launched hard he would have raced you even harder. I split up and take off fast (as soon as I'm sure no idiot is blowing the red), because if I don't the cars at the front hesitate, it holds everyone up and I feel bad. Also I have a V4 Tuono and it's kind of hard to take off any other way. I didn't have my gopro running yesterday, but a newer Audi S3 decided me getting out of everyone's way meant I was trying to race him - I always keep an eye out for this so I can merge back into the safer lane, so I got to see him blast off the line a little bit behind me in the mirror - I immediately rolled off the throttle at the speed limit, which was right about when his turbo kicked in and he hauled past off into the distance. As soon as I could see his rearview I shook my head sadly. Of course I pulled up behind him at the next stoplight and he tried it again.

I love un-racing people. I'm on a 999cc bike dude, plus it's broad daylight juuuust outside of a school zone in one of the most heavily speed-trapped areas in the neighborhood... what exactly are you going for here?

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

MikeyTsi posted:

http://www.laweekly.com/arts/heres-why-motorcyclists-engage-in-lane-splitting-and-its-not-just-to-get-somewhere-faster-video-5674102

quote:

Even the U.S. Department of Transportation states that lane splitting can “provide an escape route for motorcyclists who would otherwise be trapped or struck from behind.” Indeed, California, the only state to allow the practice, has significantly fewer motorcyclist fatalities from rear-endings than other states.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Hit an Apex posted:

Some dashcam highlights from recently. The video definitely slows things down a bit it seems.

Taurus driving on wrong side on narrow road (blind corner): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQTNw8r7m-A

I admire your swearing restraint.

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.

Dick Trauma posted:

I admire your swearing restraint.

Don't watch this one then. Fahn Cahn spotted in the wild.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsJJOOCiRto

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Knobjockey posted:

Oh I don't mind swearing! Aussie dashcam swearing is the best.

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.

Dick Trauma posted:

Oh I don't mind swearing! Aussie dashcam swearing is the best.

:agreed: I hear there's a film franchise built on the premise or something.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Knobjockey posted:

That was the softest roll-over I think I've ever seen.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Stupid question - all the Mobius mounts I've seen, including the one that just arrived for my car, have a threaded bolt that looks like it's for mounting the camera. my camera has no where to thread the bolt into. is there another piece I should have?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

blk posted:

Stupid question - all the Mobius mounts I've seen, including the one that just arrived for my car, have a threaded bolt that looks like it's for mounting the camera. my camera has no where to thread the bolt into. is there another piece I should have?

Yes, two pieces actually. One mount the Mobius clips into, and a female threaded square piece and attaches to the aforementioned mount.

Edit: to be clear, the two things I just mentioned should have come with your Mobius.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

The Locator posted:

That was the softest roll-over I think I've ever seen.

Yeah but what a lovely reward for your excellent driving awareness and avoidance. oval office of a man indeed.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
'Nice' to see some actual accidents on our cams. That guy definitely was a moron and I'm glad he got caught.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek83Fz3SWFY

Truck driver decides the majority of the road is his and gives 100% no fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My Genius DVR-HD500D arrived this week and I need to get it set up. It came with a cigarette lighter adapter, which is pretty inconvenient for me because I have a USB cig light plug thingy that my wife uses for charging her phone when she's driving, and also it'd mean having a cord running along the dash somewhere. So I'd like to just wire the power cord directly to the car.

The car is a 2003 Mazda Protege5. There are no haynes/chiltons for this car, but I do have the full Mazda service manual.

There is a fuse box and a lot of wiring under the drivers-side dash that is reasonably accessible. There are several empty fuse slots. I think since the camera wants to be plugged into the cig lighter and I think that is only on when the ignition is on, that I should probably wire it into a switched circuit rather than an always-on circuit. Although I also think if it's wired into always-on, that wouldn't hurt too much because it does have a power button, and anyway I probably won't just leave it in the car overnight since it also easily disconnects from the suction cup mount.

So, is it safe to just cut the cig lighter adapter off the cord, split out the wiring, and wire it into the fusebox? If so, is there an easy way for me to figure out which wire should go where? I have a soldering iron, heatshrink wrap, additional wire, etc. and a (very very cheap) multimeter, so I think I should be able to do this in theory.

Second question: the thing's manual just specifies that it wants a Micro SD (SDHC) memory card, at least class 4, and at least 4GB. It records in MOV format (H.264 compression). The back of the box specifies max 32GB but that's the only place I can find a specified max capacity... it's not in the manual or on Genius's web site.

What 32GB card should I get? It records both front and rear cams, front in HD 1280x720/30fps and rear in VGA 640x480/30fps simultaneously, although I don't know yet if I get two files, or if it just writes the picture-in-picture to file like it shows on the screen. I assume I should not just get any old 32GB SDHC card but would something like this work fine?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 4, 2015