Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

air- posted:

Also looking for a T-Mobile employee to help out with switching a physical sim to an esim! Had someone at a local store willing to give it a shot, but couldn't get it working :(

Did you already try chatting/calling care?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah you’re going to have to do it through chat. When I made the switch I went to the store and it was basically them failing to get the rep on the line to do what they needed. While there I set up a chat with the t mobile app and got them to make the switch without any issues.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So T-Mobile is allows you to swap your sim line to eSIM if your phone supports it except no one know how to do it. I’m at a store and they weren’t given a heads up so they have no idea. So we call customer care and they don’t know. The expert keeps trying to point to the eSIM app but that’s only for prepaid.

So yeah this has been fun so far.

TraderStav posted:

I got mine done last week through the chat in the app. Went smooth as hell. Recommend being on WiFi so that you can maintain connectivity during the transition.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

We ended up doing this in store and ended taking 5 minutes. Copy the eSIM ID to chat, verify the pin they send you and they swap the sim for eSIM immediately. Then on your phone you go to add cellular plan and your plan will show up there an option. No need for a QR code.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah you’re going to have to do it through chat. When I made the switch I went to the store and it was basically them failing to get the rep on the line to do what they needed. While there I set up a chat with the t mobile app and got them to make the switch without any issues.

astral posted:

Did you already try chatting/calling care?

Actually wasn't even aware I could do it on the Tmobile app chat, gonna install that and give it a shot thanks! The employee in store initially brought up the esim app but I'm on a Pixel and obviously the app is for IOS...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
With last weeks promotion I'm now at cell plan Nirvana.

Simple choice 6GB - started with two lines five years ago for $80/mo. Since then have slowly added free lines or BOGO lines to get to the below at $125/mo all in with taxes.

Two primary lines upgraded to unlimited for free.
2 tablet lines at 6GB each (2017? Thanksgiving get a free tablet and line)
3 voice lines (1 BOGO from a year ago) and now the get a free line from last week. My youngests are almost at the age where I'll get them a phone so this is great.

5 voice and 2 tablet for $125. Perfection.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

air- posted:

Actually wasn't even aware I could do it on the Tmobile app chat, gonna install that and give it a shot thanks! The employee in store initially brought up the esim app but I'm on a Pixel and obviously the app is for IOS...

Yeah very few things actually require you to actually go into a phone store these days, which is especially handy during COVID-19. Good luck!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does anyone know the date Sprint officially becomes T-Mobile for Sprint users?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does anyone know the date Sprint officially becomes T-Mobile for Sprint users?

I've seen start of August floated a lot.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Update: seems that esim works fine for IOS because of the prepaid esim app, but can't quite do prepaid esim on Android :(

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

This free new line is nuts. PLUS its deal stackable. Got the Xr for 50% off and with my bonus line as a e-sim i'll never have to worry about bandwith overages as I can switch the data over to the other line.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Found a rep who claims she was able to switch my 2 for $100 tmobile one plan to one that would let me add more lines, but also keep the 20% off, plus the kickback and the free 3rd line/tmobile one plus options, then also add the 4th line free with the iphone SE promo. She claimed only price increase was going to be the $8 bucks for the iPhone SE.

I guess I'll see tomorrow how badly my plan got hosed up.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 7, 2020

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

It's a weird 3 card monty right now for tmo plans as they're working on consolidating sprint and providing investors "real growth" through these free lines or some magic hand-waving.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I want a free third line but I’m afraid of them loving up my plan

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Astro7x posted:

I want a free third line but I’m afraid of them loving up my plan

That promo is dead, but there is apparently an announcement happening tomorrow morning: https://www.t-mobile.com/brand/live-stream

(Maybe new plans, maybe MORE QUIBI, maybe we all get to punch an existing sprint customer in the face, who knows)

EDIT: lol scam call blocking

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 16, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The ability to have a fake outgoing number is pretty cool.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Should this now be the T-Mobile Uber Allies Megathread: Our CEO Owns Your CEO?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

does scam shield do anything

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It blocked a few number so far, but still getting unwanted calls

I turned on the option to identify unknown callers and now every random number has a name attached instead of a number that’s obviously from a other state so it’s really unsettling for some reason. I’m going to disable it

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s blocked quite a few calls for me. The caller ID function isn’t really working for me. I still get calls from plenty of numbers that don’t show a name.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

does scam shield do anything

I wouldn't pay for it but it catches a spam call every once in awhile. I want an app that sends all calls not in my contacts, to voicemail. Years ago I had a phone that would do that and I've missed it since.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

wormil posted:

I wouldn't pay for it but it catches a spam call every once in awhile. I want an app that sends all calls not in my contacts, to voicemail. Years ago I had a phone that would do that and I've missed it since.

iOS can do this now.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

SeANMcBAY posted:

iOS can do this now.

Yeah to be fair it took a while but it’s finally a thing

Just sucks if you’re applying for a job or some such

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s blocked quite a few calls for me. The caller ID function isn’t really working for me. I still get calls from plenty of numbers that don’t show a name.

its not a required field or piece of data to transmit so it may not be there to be shown

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Scam Shield doesn't seem to detect spam text messages until after I flag them.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Hi, I'm considering moving a 5 line family plan over to T-Mobile, and I had a question about 5g coverage (not the future mmWave stuff, but the current nationwide deployment). If I have a phone that is compatible with all bands, including 600mhz, but isn't 5g capable, am I giving up any coverage? I know I'm giving up some theoretical speed, but I don't care, I just want to know if every tower that has 5g, also has 4g on similar wireless bands (so similar range and such).

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

T-Mobile has a tiny number of 5G phones on the network and is unlikely to have any 5G-only towers in the next year or two. 600mhz is the unusual one for rural coverage, if you have that service should be good across most of the map and generally comparable to other carriers. Porting over now puts you on equal or better footing to most of the customer base.

For anyone considering switching: each employee has 3 codes (each) for new customers getting 20% off Magenta plans forever, $200 off a 5G phone, or $200 off a 5G phone for existing customers. The Magenta plan lineup is a bit more expensive in exchange for the Netflix, Gogo, and international data perks, but the 20% discount more than offsets this.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

heffray posted:

T-Mobile has a tiny number of 5G phones on the network and is unlikely to have any 5G-only towers in the next year or two. 600mhz is the unusual one for rural coverage, if you have that service should be good across most of the map and generally comparable to other carriers. Porting over now puts you on equal or better footing to most of the customer base.
Great, thanks!

quote:

For anyone considering switching: each employee has 3 codes (each) for new customers getting 20% off Magenta plans forever, $200 off a 5G phone, or $200 off a 5G phone for existing customers. The Magenta plan lineup is a bit more expensive in exchange for the Netflix, Gogo, and international data perks, but the 20% discount more than offsets this.
Does this work for family plans? Because if so, I'm very interested.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

So I just got my mom and her husband into T-Mobile with a pair of SE2020s at half off, so that's not bad. She was Sprint, so the new customer deals didn't apply. The sales guy said that deal wouldn't let them port their numbers in, but is there anything that stops them from just porting their numbers in a week later?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The sprint merger has solved my problem I’ve been having for years since I switched from sprint to t-mo. I no longer get a login prompt for passpoint secure wifi, it just connects now like it did when I was with sprint.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Luceo posted:

So I just got my mom and her husband into T-Mobile with a pair of SE2020s at half off, so that's not bad. She was Sprint, so the new customer deals didn't apply. The sales guy said that deal wouldn't let them port their numbers in, but is there anything that stops them from just porting their numbers in a week later?

depending on the deal its very easy and cheap to hop from sprint to something like an ATT/VZW prepay, then port in from there

is one of them 55+? two lines is pretty cheap on that plan if they arent on it already

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Statutory Ape posted:

depending on the deal its very easy and cheap to hop from sprint to something like an ATT/VZW prepay, then port in from there

is one of them 55+? two lines is pretty cheap on that plan if they arent on it already

Yep, that's the plan they got. I was planning to port their old numbers to google voice, but if I can just wait a bit and port them in and keep the deal that'd be even better.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
e;daf

wormil fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 15, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

Found a rep who claims she was able to switch my 2 for $100 tmobile one plan to one that would let me add more lines, but also keep the 20% off, plus the kickback and the free 3rd line/tmobile one plus options, then also add the 4th line free with the iphone SE promo. She claimed only price increase was going to be the $8 bucks for the iPhone SE.

I guess I'll see tomorrow how badly my plan got hosed up.

So did you actually get bumped over to a different plan?

I'm on that 2-for-100 plan plus $10/mo in TMo One, though honestly I don't think either of us actually use any of the features that come in that. Third line for free (coming back tomorrow) might be nice.

Also see they're offering $500 in credits to trade my S9+ in on a S20. I don't really need to upgrade but the part of my brain that always wants new shiny is tempted, especially since it seems like best I could hope for selling it on my own is $300.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

IOwnCalculus posted:

So did you actually get bumped over to a different plan?

I'm on that 2-for-100 plan plus $10/mo in TMo One, though honestly I don't think either of us actually use any of the features that come in that. Third line for free (coming back tomorrow) might be nice.

Also see they're offering $500 in credits to trade my S9+ in on a S20. I don't really need to upgrade but the part of my brain that always wants new shiny is tempted, especially since it seems like best I could hope for selling it on my own is $300.

I did, my plan got slightly screwed up but kept the insider discount and kickback discounts. It took a month for everything to settle in though. I'm going to try and add another line on this new promo and see if I can.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 17, 2020

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

T-Mobile is doing another free line promotion which brings my total free lines up to 5. It also stacks with the iPhone 11pro promo so I got $800 for my 6t which I got half off because they gave me $300 for my pixel. Why do they keep giving me money

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

How do you get a free line?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Grumpwagon posted:

How do you get a free line?

The deal is on their front page, this is the iphone promo that stacks
https://imgur.com/ysN9C7G

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Added my free line today via chat, it was pretty painless. I was originally on the "2 lines for $80 with free One Plus" promo but got them to switch me to a plan that allowed me to add more lines.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I guessing sprinters can't do it. I can't seem to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Would it be possible to add a free line and use it on an iPad?