Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

e.pilot posted:

Would it be possible to add a free line and use it on an iPad?

I do not believe so, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hopefully they keep that deal for the iPhone 12 in a month or so.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

The iphone deal seems coincidental and the free line offers usually don't stretch out as long. But who knows it's the second time they've done it this year so maybe they are trying to goose up their subscriber numbers

Would have preferred a 12 of course but I can't say no to $800 for this 6T right now

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

RodShaft posted:

I guessing sprinters can't do it. I can't seem to.

This article seems to imply it's possible?

https://www.tmonews.com/2020/09/t-mobile-free-voice-line-deal/

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'd expect this to last a week or two.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like they do these free line promos to just inflate their postpaid activation numbers for shareholders.

I'm not complaining. More just, trying to figure out whats in it for them...

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Beefstorm posted:

I feel like they do these free line promos to just inflate their postpaid activation numbers for shareholders.

DOUBLE POST! PLEASE DELETE! :)

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

It'll also keep me from looking elsewhere when my kids get old enough for phones

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

RodShaft posted:

It'll also keep me from looking elsewhere when my kids get old enough for phones

yeah I have all my kids covered even though the oldest is still a few years out but other than the regulatory monthly taxes on it there isn't any downside and at some point I'll be one of those jerks who other parents hate because they gave their kid a phone as a gift.

until then I have a bunch of spare hotspots that I can liter around my house if my comcast cuts out

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 21, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Same. I’m at five lines and two tablets for $123 after taxes. Two main lines are unlimited, rest are six gigs. Only paying for three lines.

I’m locked in to T-Mobile with this. Trying to think if I can justify another free line but I only have three kids! Two of which don’t even have phones yet lol

Would be amazing if I could use those for the Apple family watch thing and then graduate to full phones, but no way they’re doing that.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Beefstorm posted:

That plus a combination of switching those additional lines all at once being a pain in the rear end. Like why insurance bundles start out cheaper then increase over time

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

What’s in it for them is inflated activation numbers.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Plus they're basically free. If you needed a line you'd've bought one up front so they're not losing sales, and all the cost of providing service is in the infrastructure, the marginal cost of a new line is essentially zero, a couple lines in their subscriber database.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Beefstorm posted:

"Churn" is the industry term for cycling through the same customers again and again as they switch carriers or activate new-line promos.

Eternal, infinite, exponential, growth is what the stock market wants to see. So that's what companies try to portray. Pay no attention to the limited number of actual potential customers.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

What a mess. I got a notification this morning that my plan had been changed from the One plus promo to the magenta plan. When I went to look at my t-mobile my bill was about 30 bucks more than last night. All I had done was add the free line a few days ago. My bill was 160 and should have been 136. I called in and was greeted by a lady that English was definitely not her native language. We went back and forth as she assured me that it was just a change in my plans name only. Nothing was different other than that. I told her my bill had gone up, I had lost my free HD video on my accounts, and my hotspot on all my phones was down to 3gig. As she was trying to fix my account she did something and my bill went from 160 a month to 225.

About 30 min of this and either she hung up, or the call was dropped. I called back and got another person. He was infinity better. He said the first lady was probably a sub contracted support they use when they get busy. He saw my account and been changed and after about 30 min of work, he was about to reset everything back to what it was. He also upgraded all my accounts to full HD video and even made one of my other lines free too. Bill is down to 119 a month now.

He said that with the free line, sometimes it gets entered as a Magenta 2 line promo deal. Sometimes when it is being entered the person might reset the entire account to Magenta. So if you notice anything off about your bill, make sure you call in and make sure you didn't get your plan changed. The reddit subreddit has other people saying the same thing.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I woke up this morning to some odd data usage over night. My battery was nearly dead and there was a 100gb data usage message from T-Mo.
Looking online, the T-Mo site shows 143.57 gb used for current cycle. Sept was 16.21gb and Aug 11.01gb.
Looking at hourly:
09/26/2020,07:06 AM
Internet Access--11169.0195 MB

09/26/2020,05:07 AM
Internet Access--44037.0292 MB

09/26/2020,03:07 AM
Internet Access--44103.8027 MB

09/26/2020,01:24 AM
Internet Access--0.0107 MB

09/25/2020,11:21 PM
Internet Access--0.0185 MB

The system says from 1:24 to 5:07 I pulled down over 88gb of data. The highest app usage on the phone only shows about 2gb for a game for this month. Phone is a Pixel 3a with 64gb.
Umm did the NSA just clone me or something? I called T-Mobile support and they see it, but cannot determine the traffic. Anyone else notice anything funky last night?

Edit: Phone is always on wifi and no wifi drops last night. No tethering, and I did not wake up last night.

Meydey fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 26, 2020

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

If anyone is on a 2ish year old device and wants a new approximately-flagship level Samsung, now is a good time. The Galaxy S20 Fan Edition 5G (so low and mid band, but not mmWave that competes with outdoor Wifi but not cellular) lists at $700 but is part of a promo for $500 off with a valid trade in:
https://www.t-mobile.com/content/t-mobile/consumer/modals/samsung-gs20fe-500-trade-in-prospect.html
The eligible devices are:
Apple: iPhone 11, XS Series, XR, X, 8 Series, iPhone 7 series
Samsung: Galaxy S10 series, Galaxy Note10 series, Galaxy S9 series, Galaxy Note9 , Galaxy S8 series, Galaxy Note8, Galaxy S7 series
Google: Pixel 4/4XL, Pixel 3A/3AXL, 3/3XL
OnePlus: 8, 8 Pro, 7T Pro McLaren, 7T, 7, 7 Pro, 6, 6T
LG: V60 ThinQ, G8 ThinQ, G7 ThinQ, V50 ThinQ, V40 ThinQ

This is a little unusual because all the eligible trade in devices get the same payout, and all the eligible purchase devices get the same discount ($500 minus whatever actual trade in value). Good until TBD, which probably means whenever budget runs out. If you preorder, there's some sort of thing where ShopSamsung gets you an additional $70 toward your next Samsung purchase. The same $500 promo works on everything up to the $200 folding one, but if you're shopping sales maybe don't buy a $2000 phone.

tl;dr: have a Pixel 3a / GS7 / oneplus 6 or better and want a new phone? trade in and get a GS20 FE 5G with 2020 specs and 3 cameras for $200.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
will my S8+ that doesn't even turn on be accepted ;-*

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

nerve posted:

will my S8+ that doesn't even turn on be accepted ;-*
Nope! Trade ins don't have to be in perfect condition, but need: uncracked screen, powers on, clean liquid damage indicator, and locking features turned off.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
My brother did this today and he says they only gave him $200 off:

"So ill have to pay u an extra 46 a month for the phone. I had to pay monthly in order to get the deal. Also, it was only $200 off. He said its "up to $500". "

What's true?

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Did your brother get this at a retail store with an Insider 5G code, buy a different phone, and not attach a trade in? The Sprint version says "up to $500" but lists every option as $500, the T-Mobile version just says $500. I can't find a version of this promo that would be $200 instead of $500.

The S20+ 5G is $1099, which would be $46/mo before subtracting off the monthly credits. The FE is $400 cheaper but is a preorder and is not available for a couple more days.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

nerve posted:

My brother did this today and he says they only gave him $200 off:

"So ill have to pay u an extra 46 a month for the phone. I had to pay monthly in order to get the deal. Also, it was only $200 off. He said its "up to $500". "

What's true?

they probably gave him a portion instantly up front based on the model of his phone and then a prorated monthly amounted over the duration of the payment agreement

so itll look something like +$46, and then -$16(or whatever) on the bill

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

drat it, missed an opportunity to have yet another free line by a week. My promo Xs on my FREE line never got attached and so support did that for me and was telling me about the just-ended promo. So now T mobile gives me a discount for using less than 2 gigs on my main line (10 dollar ) and with my iphone's eSIM all data on my free line (20 dollar discount) on my half-off Xs 512 phone.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
I'm having a hard time finding a simple comprehensive list of Band-71 (600mhz) service deployments, trying to help someone switching carriers.

The coverage info maps from T-Mobile just kinda lumps b71 4g in with the other 4g, and b71 5g in with mid and high band. Is the only useful info going to be waiting for press releases or browsing through third-party mapping services?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

sweart gliwere posted:

I'm having a hard time finding a simple comprehensive list of Band-71 (600mhz) service deployments, trying to help someone switching carriers.

The coverage info maps from T-Mobile just kinda lumps b71 4g in with the other 4g, and b71 5g in with mid and high band. Is the only useful info going to be waiting for press releases or browsing through third-party mapping services?

this information is pretty commonly available to all employees of t-mobile regardless of level (altho skill factor may be an issue)

a phone chat w customer service could probably get you an emailed list, or calling a local corporate store

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

sweart gliwere posted:

Official data is really hard to come by, but this map is the best unofficial source I've found. If you just see blue, zoom out, you're in the ocean.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm assuming anywhere that is covered by low band 600mhz 5G is also covered by 600mhz LTE? There aren't any situations where I'm getting better coverage or coverage at all by having 5G?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm assuming anywhere that is covered by low band 600mhz 5G is also covered by 600mhz LTE? There aren't any situations where I'm getting better coverage or coverage at all by having 5G?

I’m wondering this too. Better coverage is more important than faster speeds for me.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

if you're in a 5G area 5G will reach places 4G wont

the reality is those low band frequencies arent designed for high speed- theyre designed for coverage

Worf fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 13, 2020

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Don't care about speed. T-Mobile still has some spotty service in parts of places I routinely visit. I didn't think 600mhz LTE was very widely deployed so was wondering if they were sticking 5G low band in more places

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

WhyteRyce posted:

Don't care about speed. T-Mobile still has some spotty service in parts of places I routinely visit. I didn't think 600mhz LTE was very widely deployed so was wondering if they were sticking 5G low band in more places

Yeah, they got the 600mhz band about 4 years ago. Prior to that they largely did high band/high speed. Verizon is king because they use a ton of midband.

Sprint had a ton of....800?850? Band spectrm, which was the oo la la of buying them- outside of consolidating the only price competition, surely.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Statutory Ape posted:

Yeah, they got the 600mhz band about 4 years ago. Prior to that they largely did high band/high speed. Verizon is king because they use a ton of midband.

Sprint had a ton of....800?850? Band spectrm, which was the oo la la of buying them- outside of consolidating the only price competition, surely.

You're thinking of 2500mhz. Band 41. Sprint had some 850mhz but I don't think it's very useful to T-Mobile.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

nimper posted:

You're thinking of 2500mhz. Band 41. Sprint had some 850mhz but I don't think it's very useful to T-Mobile.

that is not what they told me in the t-mobile engineering office i worked at :shrug:

sprint had 1/3 of rural 850 spectrum, which is/was very juicy for how t-mobile specifically wanted to roll out low band and in part what it was looking to augment with the purchase. you're not wrong about them using 2500, which, again, is for high speed and we're talking coverage/data movement

Worf fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 13, 2020

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Statutory Ape posted:

Verizon has a ton of low band and high band, all their mid band is still tied up supporting 3G until end of the year.

Verizon and ATT 4G LTE is almost all 700, which is partially why the coverage is better than T-Mobile and Sprint (the other reason is simply more towers, especially compared to Sprint).

Sprint 4G is mostly on I think 1900 (it’s 1900 or 1700). Sprint actually has an insane amount of 2500 mid band spectrum, which they famously used to try and launch 4G first with WiMAX, which was a complete disaster.

Sprint does has 850 because that was what Nextel iDEN was on. For the longest time they couldn’t roll 4G on it because they still had Nextel customers. I assume at this point they’ve deployed 4G 850 towers, but not completely sure.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I thought the 850 stuff went to Dish in the deal. Either way, it was the 2500 that T-Mobile was primarily after.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

sweart gliwere posted:

This official map will tell you the signal strength you should get on T-Mobile's various bands (though does not include 5G). This unofficial map is based on scraping the official map and shows you how T-Mobile has updated their coverage over time.

astral posted:

I thought the 850 stuff went to Dish in the deal. Either way, it was the 2500 that T-Mobile was primarily after.

This is correct. T-Mobile may have wanted Sprint's band 26 (850 MHz) spectrum at one point but they were definitely willing to give it up to Dish if that meant they could get Sprint's band 41 and band 25 spectrum instead.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 13, 2020

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I called TM to get a new cellspot, 33 minutes on the phone to do that. Everyone was super nice but the broken english was hard to understand and I'm not entirely sure what's going to happen. I just started agreeing to everything to hurry things along because if I asked a question they put me hold. Again, super nice though, I wish I could have them over for Thanksgiving. I'm going to hire a service in India to call me everyday and cheer me up.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

come on tmobile give us more free line and discounts on the iphone 12

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

incoherent posted:

come on tmobile give us more free line and discounts on the iphone 12

So far the iphone 12 deals are not great (lol 30 months of bill credits) , hopefully Costco does something decent.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 14, 2020

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Maneki Neko posted:

So far the iphone 12 deals are garbage, hopefully Costco does something decent.
There's a $200 rebate card for accounts over 5 years old & trading in any iPhone that was used on the tmo network between Aug 2 - Oct 2, and a trade in offer at $500 for 11 Pro or XS or XS Max; $415 for 11, X, XR, 8, 8+; $300 for 7, 7+, SE 2020; $215 for 6s, 6, SE; $50 for anything 5s or older. Bigger promos are available with trading in plus activating a new line. What were you expecting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

heffray posted:

There's a $200 rebate card for accounts over 5 years old & trading in any iPhone that was used on the tmo network between Aug 2 - Oct 2, and a trade in offer at $500 for 11 Pro or XS or XS Max; $415 for 11, X, XR, 8, 8+; $300 for 7, 7+, SE 2020; $215 for 6s, 6, SE; $50 for anything 5s or older. Bigger promos are available with trading in plus activating a new line. What were you expecting?

iPhone 11 seemed to have better offers at launch (unless misremembering we got half price + trade in value applied) with shorter duration on bill credits. Sadly I don't think I quite qualify for the 5 year deal.

I was hoping for something similar to the S20 FE deal train, but probably too high of hopes :(