Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Just got the second wave "someone stole your info but NOT all your info" and it's weirdly refreshing to actually see someone not get away with my social security number (although I'm sure it's out there from like 10 other breaches)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'd like to add on top of the 3 credit bureaus, to also freeze your ChexSystems profile so would be identity thieves will have a harder time opening bank accounts in your name. There's also a lesser known credit bureau that also has a profile on you called Innovis. I froze that as well just in case. Don't usually need to unfreeze that when applying for something.

At the very least the 3 majors and ChexSystems have made it easier to unfreeze things and *don't* charge you for the privilege as they no longer legally can.

I didn't know about either of those. Thank you!

SeANMcBAY posted:

That’s a good idea. Think I’ll do that too.

Yeah it doesn't tend to be a big pain in the rear end. I already have all the credit cards I'll ever have in my life (barring some incredible deal for opening one or something), I already have a mortgage, and all my cars are shitboxes that I buy with cash. The rare blue moon that I need my credit to be ran to open a new line of credit is kind of a hassle but definitely worth it.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

What do those of you who have them do with the free lines and phones you got when Tmo did promotions for them? Just curious.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I use mine for a SyncUP drive device in my car.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

SamDabbers posted:

What do those of you who have them do with the free lines and phones you got when Tmo did promotions for them? Just curious.

one is effectively a land line at my house and wifi hotspot for when Comcast takes a poo poo, the rest are sitting in a drawer waiting for the day my kids are old enough for a phone. Until then I just use them to farm T-Mobile Tuesday promos. The free amazon and target gift cards I got basically pay for the tax/fees on the line.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SamDabbers posted:

I got a second crappy android phone with a huge battery that I use when hiking/backpacking and don't want to bring along a battery bank.

I also pair it to a special modem as a backup internet if mine goes down.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I got lines for all my kids who will need phones in the next few years and started adding in random family members/friends on our plan who were looking to jump ship off whatever family plan they were on.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Anyone's Auto Pay just like stop? I received a text this morning saying my card couldn't be charged but was able to do it manually and redid the Auto Pay after with the same card and it didn't show any complaints.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Anyone's Auto Pay just like stop? I received a text this morning saying my card couldn't be charged but was able to do it manually and redid the Auto Pay after with the same card and it didn't show any complaints.

I don't use Autopay (for pretty much anything) but I did get a message the other day saying they were redoing their website. Maybe this is related?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
edit: im both dumb and cheap

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 2, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Anybody have experience with the ISP? I know the "trash can" router is a firmware mess, but if I fudged my address a bit to get service, how bad would that be? :P It's available 2 blocks away :P

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
I've got a potentially dumbass question. I moved to Japan about a year and a half ago and will be here for another few months before moving back to the US. I've been on the Sprint Japan Plan the entire time which is a loving incredible deal ($5 add-on for unlimited talk, text, and data in Japan), but I've been stuck on my iPhone 6S for long enough and need to upgrade, especially now that the CDMA network will be shutdown when I move back.

Would there be any issues trying to do a device swap while roaming on SoftBank? Has anyone else tried to do a device swap overseas period? Maybe it wouldn't be an issue, but I'd like to know for sure before dropping the :20bux: on a new device.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

torb main posted:

I've got a potentially dumbass question. I moved to Japan about a year and a half ago and will be here for another few months before moving back to the US. I've been on the Sprint Japan Plan the entire time which is a loving incredible deal ($5 add-on for unlimited talk, text, and data in Japan), but I've been stuck on my iPhone 6S for long enough and need to upgrade, especially now that the CDMA network will be shutdown when I move back.

Would there be any issues trying to do a device swap while roaming on SoftBank? Has anyone else tried to do a device swap overseas period? Maybe it wouldn't be an issue, but I'd like to know for sure before dropping the :20bux: on a new device.

I don’t work for T-Mobile , but I would bet the SIM needs a domestic tower to programs, I would recommend holding out until you actually are back in the states.

FYI, the iPhone 6S is a full LTE phone, so it will not be impacted by the CDMA shut down.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Duckman2008 posted:

FYI, the iPhone 6S is a full LTE phone, so it will not be impacted by the CDMA shut down.

Interesting. Sprint sent an email saying that the phone would be affected by the shutdown:

Sprint Email posted:

For those lines that will be affected, you must take action to continue service after January 1, 2022, including the ability to make 911 calls depending on your location. Listed below are devices on your account that need to be updated:

• iPhone 6S on line ending in XXXX

This could also just be some dishonest upgrade marketing plan I suppose. I used to work for Sprint HQ (in network no less) so I should probably know these things, but I've totally disconnected from the industry since switching to a different job six years ago :v:

edit: I didn't realize there was a Sprint thread still going - I might check over there as well

torb main fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 3, 2021

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I'm currently on the old T-Mobile One Plus plan - is there any downside to swapping to the Magenta Max plan? I see I lose voicemail-to-text, but iPhone visual voicemail handles that anyway.

It's a really dumbass reason (I can't get the free year of Apple TV+ without a Magenta-branded plan), but if there's literally no downside I might as well take the benefit. And its not like they're going to add benefits for the old plans, right?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Boxman posted:

I'm currently on the old T-Mobile One Plus plan - is there any downside to swapping to the Magenta Max plan? I see I lose voicemail-to-text, but iPhone visual voicemail handles that anyway.

It's a really dumbass reason (I can't get the free year of Apple TV+ without a Magenta-branded plan), but if there's literally no downside I might as well take the benefit. And its not like they're going to add benefits for the old plans, right?

I got the free apple tv year on an old Sprint plan. Weird.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They're not giving free TV+ plans if you're already on an Apple One subscription either :mad:

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

If I’m on a T-Mobile ONE plan with several lines that are $5/10/20 - how much will these be if I switch to Magenta Max to take advantage of the iPhone trade in?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Boxman posted:

Someone mentioned an old “kickback” program, where if you didn’t use your data you got credit. I’m on the same plan and don’t have that, so for me it just comes down to cost. If you have the T-Mobile app, and go into manage plans, there’s a comparison tool.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

savesthedayrocks posted:

Someone mentioned an old “kickback” program, where if you didn’t use your data you got credit. I’m on the same plan and don’t have that, so for me it just comes down to cost. If you have the T-Mobile app, and go into manage plans, there’s a comparison tool.

I am on an old kickback plan. Paying the higher amount for a compatible plan for "Free" Netflix or Apple TV is never worth it. I still save money paying for it out of my own pocket. And I don't even want Apple TV for a whole year. I'll pay $5 for a month and just binge watch what I want

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Thanks for pointing out the comparison tool. Magenta MAX would be $47 more expensive for me WITHOUT including potential Kickback discounts on 6 lines (usually I have 2-4 people get the $10 off each month) so…not worth it at all.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm pretty sure I'm on the same plan and since COVID my wife and I have been constantly getting kickbacks. Nothing has been tempting enough to make us want to switch away from it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Bit bummed I have to lose my employer provided Amplified plan to get the full device credit on the iPhone 13. :mad:

Apparently it's no longer being offered and there isn't a 5G equivalent version of it yet. I only got it like early this year/late last year?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Bit bummed I have to lose my employer provided Amplified plan to get the full device credit on the iPhone 13. :mad:

Apparently it's no longer being offered and there isn't a 5G equivalent version of it yet. I only got it like early this year/late last year?

If you're talking about the plan, every T-Mobile plan (even including grandfathered legacy plans and 3rd party MVNO plans) should have 5G. T-Mobile wants everyone on 5G ASAP because it makes more efficient use of their spectrum.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Mr.Radar posted:

If you're talking about the plan, every T-Mobile plan (even including grandfathered legacy plans and 3rd party MVNO plans) should have 5G. T-Mobile wants everyone on 5G ASAP because it makes more efficient use of their spectrum.

Yeah I learned about 5G being on all plans when I was talking with T-Force earlier today. The bigger gripe is that you need Magenta Max if you want the full promo credit. I'm just gonna wait on it for now. If not soon then maybe I'll revisit for Black Friday.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

torb main posted:

Interesting. Sprint sent an email saying that the phone would be affected by the shutdown:
I don't think the iPhone 6S supports T-Mobile's VoLTE which is why it's characterized as affected by the January shutdown. Switching it over to a TNX SIM will bring it over to T-Mobile's network where it can use GSM/UMTS for voice calls.

Newer devices that do support T-Mobile's VoLTE have recently (past year?) gained access to T-Mobile's LTE in addition to Sprint LTE through various methods, the most recent of which gives equal priority to both LTE networks. This is probably the ideal place to be right now for anyone that doesn't have a new enough phone with LTE band 71 support. For example, I preemptively TNXed my Pixel 2 and my coverage went to poo poo since it doesn't support band 71. After January though you probably want to TNX because even if your phone is technically capable of VoLTE (but not band 71) you still have to be within coverage of the LTE network and often you're just not. I've also heard that June 2022 is the shutdown date for Sprint LTE so everyone is going to have to move over by then anyways.

Last I knew the only devices that weren't eligible to TNX were eSIM? Or Sprint's service was still being used for 5G devices? I'm not really sure what's going on here. Just after I moved over my Pixel 2 I replaced it with a Pixel 5a, went through the "Sprint" eSIM activation workflow (which, astonishingly, "just worked') and it's also on T-Mobile, which is fine for me since it supports LTE band 71 and 5G.

T-Mobile wants to move everyone over either via TNX or device swaps though. In addition to the network shutdowns, getting everyone off Sprint's SIMs is necessary to move them over to T-Mobile accounts/plans. They're handing out SIM kits like candy in the store these days and I'm getting multiple text messages about my wife's iPhone which I'm leaving on Sprint until January for coverage reliability reasons. As far as plans go I'm riding out SWAC as long as possible. At some point, I assume that they're just stop going to whitelist open market devices for Sprint.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 17, 2021

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
That new iPhone trade in promo being tied to the plan is bullshit.

$1000 for my iPhone 12 Pro with a premium plan, or $500 on my current plan. It would cost $480 + kickback savings to upgrade to a premium plan to get that additional $500 trade in value.

No thanks…

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah that's pretty much every premium trade-in offer and why I switched to just buying phones sim-free straight from apple at the lower trade-in value. It's just not worth the hassle to gently caress with my plan in any way.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy has all the T-mobile iPhone 13s for $100 off if you're buying them outright

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Has anyone tried switching to Magenta max recently? I'm going to try and hit up tforce, but I've heard that they are transferring the 20% discounts and free line offers over, so in theory would be a small monthly bump (as well as losing kickback).

EDIT: According to tforce switching to Magenta max would cost me $16 more a month and would let me keep my 20% insider hookup and all my free lines. I'm currently on an old "One" plan with the free one plus add ons, insider hookup, free lines and kickback.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 17, 2021

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Well after speaking to several T-Mo people, it turned out that my current plan (T-Mobile Work Perks Amplified 1.0 according to my account) was indeed already eligible for the full credit promo. So no plan change on my end and the trade-in page said both my devices qualified for the full 800 dollars per device and it didn't ask me to change my plan. So success???

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’m trying to crunch some numbers and find out just how much cheaper it would be for my wife and I to switch from Verizon to T-mobile.

Their site is actually pretty good about displaying the plans and differences, but does anyone know if you are able to mix and match plans?

Can I get on Magenta Max at $70/line and my wife get on Essentials at $45/line (both being the plan prices for “two lines”)? Or do both lines have to be the same level of service to get the “two lines” price?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’m trying to crunch some numbers and find out just how much cheaper it would be for my wife and I to switch from Verizon to T-mobile.

Their site is actually pretty good about displaying the plans and differences, but does anyone know if you are able to mix and match plans?

Can I get on Magenta Max at $70/line and my wife get on Essentials at $45/line (both being the plan prices for “two lines”)? Or do both lines have to be the same level of service to get the “two lines” price?

I don't think you can do that, but I'm far from an expert.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

My understanding is that you pick a plan that applies to all the lines on your whole account, not ala carte line by line.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Yeah that sucks because I really have no need for Magenta Max other than that being the plan you need to get for a free iPhone 13. Regular magenta would be fine for my wife and I.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yeah that sucks because I really have no need for Magenta Max other than that being the plan you need to get for a free iPhone 13. Regular magenta would be fine for my wife and I.

You can still get up to $500 off a phone with the regular Magenta plan as well. Magenta Max just kicks in an extra $300.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Best Buy has all the T-mobile iPhone 13s for $100 off if you're buying them outright

To expand on this, they have the phone $100 off and they're doing a bonus $100 on trade in phones.
That means the cost to upgrade from a 12 Pro > 13 Pro is roughly $100 and you own the phone outright, no bill credits and you don't need to change plans.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

These deals suck for One users and its confirmed there is pretty much nothing tmo could do to give up my freeline+kickback on a dual sim iPhone. (Data on free line, kickback forever on my primary)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FCKGW posted:

To expand on this, they have the phone $100 off and they're doing a bonus $100 on trade in phones.
That means the cost to upgrade from a 12 Pro > 13 Pro is roughly $100 and you own the phone outright, no bill credits and you don't need to change plans.

Yeah I cancelled my pre-order through apple and went with this instead. 13 mini was $100 after taxes once you added everything up. Pretty drat good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Whoa dang, iOS 15 seems to have fixed some things or T-Mobile got around to upgrading towers in my town. Finally saw 5GUC and got a 650mbps Speedtest on my iPhone 12.