Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

OOC: next time we go after the Pope, assuming we've saved up the cash, can we hire most of the mercenaries first, so the Pope can't hire them? Or at least enough to tip the tide of battle.

We occupy different mercenary pools; the Pope has access to the hundred thousand or so Catholic mercenaries left in Europe, while we're still stuck with the Orthodox/Eastern mercenaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?

DentedLamp posted:

We occupy different mercenary pools; the Pope has access to the hundred thousand or so Catholic mercenaries left in Europe, while we're still stuck with the Orthodox/Eastern mercenaries.

Can we time it so that the mercs are busy or can we not see them?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

AdventFalls posted:

Can we time it so that the mercs are busy or can we not see them?

I don't think we can see them, but it doesn't matter. With the miniscule amount of Catholic realms left and the massive amount of Catholic mercs bopping around, the Pope will always be able to summon a doomstack like that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I kind of think that Catholic mercenaries and holy orders not flipping to Orthodox when the Schism is mended by the Orthodox almost counts as a bug. I mean, it's ahistorical as hell. Where are these mercenaries supposed to be coming from at this point?

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Rincewind posted:

I hope that the next session of the New Senate will continue to give thought to issue of Russian, Turkish, and other languages spoken by the peoples of Kiev-Byzantium.

Protecting the languages and cultures of your various subjects seems a good cause my Tsar. At the very least it would mollify fears that the upper echelons of imperial administration share the views of Senator Cyrahzax. I do imagine there are plenty of doukes who share his views on such things.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

JT Jag posted:

I kind of think that Catholic mercenaries and holy orders not flipping to Orthodox when the Schism is mended by the Orthodox almost counts as a bug. I mean, it's ahistorical as hell. Where are these mercenaries supposed to be coming from at this point?

Well, there's no way all the peasantry shown on the map has actually converted. They probably have the man power.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

TheMcD posted:

I don't think we can see them, but it doesn't matter. With the miniscule amount of Catholic realms left and the massive amount of Catholic mercs bopping around, the Pope will always be able to summon a doomstack like that.

I wonder if it may make sense to target the Heretic order headquarters somehow?

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Rubix Squid posted:

Protecting the languages and cultures of your various subjects seems a good cause my Tsar. At the very least it would mollify fears that the upper echelons of imperial administration share the views of Senator Cyrahzax. I do imagine there are plenty of doukes who share his views on such things.

I doubt any individual -- even a doux -- would share in the perspective of worms and maggots, Senator Squid.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OddObserver posted:

I wonder if it may make sense to target the Heretic order headquarters somehow?

Well... they don't have headquarters. They exist in the void and will always exist. It really is a marvel.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Might I suggest, Emperor, that you give thought to converting your culture to that of the masses and adopting their ideas? While I do not doubt your ability to rule, there are many that fall under the crown of the Empire that would think grumble under your rule, already you have seen what happens with the senate. Make a gesture to those under you showing your intention to build a single Empire under one crown.

(OOC: I think if your capital culture is different you can use the intrigue menu to change your culture to that of the location?)

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Rubix Squid posted:

What is there to fear? The real crime would be allowing those mongrel tongues to continue to be spoken in our Empire! It is our duty to uplift every citizen, and we cannot do that if we allow our subjects to wallow in pre-Imperial filth. The Emperor should himself serve as the first example to Kiev: he must make himself Roman, and the rest will follow.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I, Senator Valentinius, would merely like to introduce myself to these hallowed halls and declare my allegiance to other lovers of coin and trade in the Venetian Committee. I truly and earnestly hope that I may someday be as influential as the...great minds of the elder Senators.

May our coffers grow fat!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Amnistar posted:

Might I suggest, Emperor, that you give thought to converting your culture to that of the masses and adopting their ideas? While I do not doubt your ability to rule, there are many that fall under the crown of the Empire that would think grumble under your rule, already you have seen what happens with the senate. Make a gesture to those under you showing your intention to build a single Empire under one crown.

(OOC: I think if your capital culture is different you can use the intrigue menu to change your culture to that of the location?)

Indeed, the Greek and Italian peoples will bristle at the idea of having a Russian ruling them. And you said it yourself, my Tsar: Kiev will not be inherited by your first son. Allow the branch family to continue the Russian Yaroslavovich tradition, while you and your heir here rule as Greeks. It will ease this dynastic transition.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Senator Samuel the 7th dons his white toga, staring at himself in the glass smoothed silver mirror.
"That it had come to this... Is this how we live, a continuous parable of ups and downs, creations and destructions, Romans, Greeks, Russians. Are there no chosen people? Just men that enter the light, till god excuses them?"
He looks at a captured bishops sash, smugly embroiled with the old roman symbol over the heathen catholic one.
"No as long as the people and the senate of Rome endure, we can mitigate whatever this ghastly world throws at us. This Slav, this King he's just not been indoctrinated yet into the pure roman ways of conquest and culture. He talks of bravery when he sends slaves to die like a Gaulish king, my grandfather was there during the battle for Rome, I was there during the revolts alongside the final days of the Queen, without money, without food. I don't need either, Rome sustains me, my hate carries me onward, this empire will endure!
He queezes the sash tightly in his hand
"Yes... The empire only ends when good Romans cease to pick up the pieces and move on, once the final Roman stops holding on... It..."
Samuel ties the sash around his waist like a belt, the pure red and gold clashing with the shining white and black toga of the Varangians
"We must never let go"

He takes one final look at the mirror before leaving his villa, taking his usual walk towards the senate with his bodyguards
"I wonder if things will be exciting men, I hope the new king knows how to find a good war or two"
Senator Samuel the 7th enters the senate floor leaving his guards at the door and greeting his old Roman compatriots with the usual smile, but passing them and seating himself in his new part of the senates circle

##Finish the conquest of Italy, annex Pisa and add another trade nation to the fold
Second!
##Assimilate the holy land coast line towards Aegyptus. From there our sovereign can decide to pool in the Mediterranean, or reach for Somalia!

Edited in leaving my ALL ROMAN GLADIATOR bodyguards outside the senate floor

Samuel fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 18, 2014

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Senator Samuel, did you by chance miss the "Laws explicitly calling for new conquest are forbidden until the end of the present security crisis" memo. Because if you did miss it, and I'm not saying you did, you ought to take a moment to review it and then see if that changes your proposals at all.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Rubix Squid posted:

Senator Samuel, did you by chance miss the "Laws explicitly calling for new conquest are forbidden until the end of the present security crisis" memo. Because if you did miss it, and I'm not saying you did, you ought to take a moment to review it and then see if that changes your proposals at all.

He also missed the part where the acts were already chosen.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

He also missed the part where the acts were already chosen.

But on the other hand, he did make one heck of an entrace!

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Well, he was an Old Roman. I wouldn't expect any less from one of their ranks. At least he looks sober.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
OOC: Ah well I didn't thoroughly read the previous post from rincewind, so my bad :P I kinda thought we'd still be putting forth legislations since everybody has not been counted as a senator yet!
Also note that most of my character drama was from inside the comfort of my own home!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Samuel posted:

Also note that most of my character drama was from inside the comfort of my own home!

OOC: Maybe so, but you still entered the Senate with a pair of Varangians and an Old Roman sash, an exceptionally more discreet yet nonetheless weaker protest, and more importantly a protest that can be explained away. That is a mighty powerful entrance for anyone hesitant to the Tsar.

Luhood fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 18, 2014

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

The Black Chamber

I looked down at my old Komnenian badge, then glanced up at the heads of the chamber conspirators. Thirty or so Senators were gathered in a loose circle behind me. The session was crowded, but the Tsar stood alone. The Varangians had assigned the Russian an honor guard, but it was almost unnecessary. No one wanted to get near the throne; the smell didn't help either.

The Tsar was silhouetted by torchlight, making him look larger. I could feel the heads staring at me, whispering to me. We swore we'd restore the true Emperor, we'd do whatever it took. I glanced back up at the heads of my friends, felt the weight of the dagger strapped to my arm and took a deep breath. I'd only have once chance.

Phanariote Committee

I knelt in front of the Tsar, then stumbled out to the courtyard and dropped to my knees. It felt like I'd had the wind knocked out of me.

I wiped my eyes on my sleeve and started trudging back to the University.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

It may be a little late, but I pledge my allegiance to the Committee of St. Valeria.

Frankly, I was really tired of purple and red all the time.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
PART TWENTY-SIX: The Senatorial Kiev Experience (1357-1358)

Tsar Yaroslav of the Kievan-Byzantine personal union which arose after the deaths of the Orthodox Monarchs, Tsar Sudislav the Great of Yaroslavl' and Empress Gabrielia Komnene of Byzantium, certainly had his impact on the historical record, and we'll get to that. But it's one thing to read a Wikipedia page, an academic journal, or even primary sources, and quite another thing to experience it. Yaroslav considered personal experience of the utmost importance. He spent much of his tenure as Tsar traveling his lands, and continued after his crowning as the Tsar of Kiev-Byzantium at the Hagia Sophia in 1357. What's more, he asked that the New Senate of Kiev-Byzantium join him on the road!

The hardships they endured traveling the backroads of Kiev and the Byzantine Empire are, in many ways, unknowable to us. But try to put yourself in their shoes. Imagine that you're part of the New Senate.

Think about what they experienced.

: I am pleased that the Phanariote Committee, recognizing that wisdom is something not always found between the covers of a book, proposed the Senatorial Kiev-Experience Act. You now are responsible for the welfare of lands you have scarcely even thought of, much less seen for yourselves.

In deference to the Phanariote Committee, I have placed the education of my heir, the Princess Dobrava Yaroslavovna, in the hands of one of the foremost theologians I found milling around Constantinople without anything better to do.

Ah, but it is not enough for you to learn of my country. I must acquaint myself with the lands of my new empire! And so should you. How can you think to rule an empire that stretches from Lombardy to Antioch, Belgorod to Alexandria, all cooped up in the chambers of the Senate in Constantinople, looking down on the world like the audience of a play?

It is the tradition of my dear mother's family to survey the lands secured for Christianity by Valeria the Apostle. I request that you accompany me.

Logistics? We routinely send tens of thousands of soldiers and knights from one end of the empire to another! I think we can manage and entourage of a few hundred pampered senators!

You might have to rough it a bit. But be grateful that you have warm beds! In my journeys in Kiev, I've had nothing but the cold earth to sleep on, with only a rock for a pillow.

Wait, what's that?

Ha, a snake! Perhaps this gentle land of yours does have some bite!

You are all rich men and women. I trust your wealth is simply so that you can better work for the betterment of Kiev-Byzantium? You can start proving that true right now.

And, ah, somehow amidst your luxuries you've accomplished incredible feats of military prowess! In Kiev, we have only our wits and our muscles to face the Mongol hordes. Such glories have you won in battle!

Antioch's a bit of a dump, isn't it? From the way you people talk about the place, one would think it was still enjoying the glories of Roman Syria! Perhaps you'd have known better if you'd ever left Constantinople.

I shall have to make the improvement of Antioch's meager circumstances a priority. But for now, to Kiev!

What's that, Senator? You aren't happy with your roadside accommodations? The innkeepers of the north are not accustomed to hundreds of Senators fanning out across the region and filling every tavern, inn, and waystation in miles! Your room smells like a stable? Be grateful you're not sleeping in a stable.

Oh, no, I see. He was literally burying manure beneath his inn. And you Byzantines call us uncivilized! This seems like a sure way to attract miasma and plague. For the sake of public health, I shall sentence this wretch to death.

By the way, don't worry about the affairs of state. The Imperial Post of Kiev-Byzantium is unequalled. I can easily run the empire as well from here as I can enthroned in Byzantion. Better, even.

Ah, this is more like it! A homey and commodious inn if I've ever seen one! Now that we've crossed the border into honest Kiev, you'll see what hospitality really means!

------

Yaroslav Sudislavovich
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yaroslav Sudislavovich (1327-1358) was Tsar of Kiev from 1355 and emperor of the Byzantine Empire from 1357 until his death in 1358. He is noted for his dissolution of the traditional factions of the old Komnenos Senate of Constantinople, and for founding the Yaroslavovich dynasty.

After his death, he was succeeded by his son Yuiry Yaroslavovich as Grand Duke of Kiev and his daughter Dobrava Yaroslavovna as ruler of the Byzantine Empire.

Regnal Titles
Preceded by: Sudislav III the Great | Tsar of Kiev (1355-1358) | Succeeded by: Yuiry I (as Grand Duke)
Preceded by: Gabrielia I Komnene | Emperor of Byzantium (1357-1358) | Succeeded by: Dobrava I

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I see the Black Chamber was fond of Yaroslav.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, gently caress. I liked that guy! He tried to get rid of those crazy senators that would have had me murdered! What a shame.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Now, I'm not saying I was responsible, but I did warn him not to gently caress with the Black Chamber.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I'm most impressed that he survived that many plots with an intrigue of 2.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

And for a brief time, the Senate was the one pissing its pants in fear for a change.

drat gavelkind, how are we supposed to wander around the Russias aimlessly and sleep on rocks like our Czar wanted us to?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I did suggest that you adopt that cultres and practices of the locals.

Empress, welcome to the Senate, I do hope that you learn from your father's mistakes.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Clearly the work of Catholics. It is time we purge the realm of them, either by threat or by force.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
All of Byzantium-Kiev cries out for our emperor, who truly tried his hardest to culturally and politically advance our state. We are truly lesser for having lost our brothers and sisters in Russia.

Now it is time to find a tutor befitting an Empress. Perhaps one more in-tune with the Greek way of life than her current tutor.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

A tragedy in the most comedic interpretation of the word, but alas; this was altogether not unexpected. Let us hope that our new liege does not march so brazenly to an early death as her predecessor.

And someone get rid of these pissants claiming to represent a certain chamber that should not be alluded to.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's plenty a surplus of coin in the coffers; enough for a funeral truly fit for an Emperor. But I feel as if our dearly departed Tsar would much rather to receive a subdued and modest internment like that of his illustrious ancestors. A hole in the ground it is, then. Not much left to bury, anyway.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

I am heartened to see someone in the empire knows how a true Roman deals with a tyrant.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
*hic* What's all the drat... commotion out here?

...Arrren't you lot senators? The hell are you doing out here? I wasss j-just *hic* lookin' for you, actually, my brother lost his head and I heard I had to replace him or ssssomethin'? Heard you'd be up in Kiev, but turns out you were off partying in Antioch without me... Figgered I might as well just wait near town for you... Got some good Russian drink out of it, at least. They call it *hic* vodka, y'know?

...What's that smell?

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Welp. How about we get this girl a nice Greek education and betroth her to a Kommenos.

Bah, now time to go back to the nice comfy Senate. Nobody's died there by explosion.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Quickly, you fools, quickly! We can let his Kievan followers organize the funeral. For us, it is time to secure the child's education-- we have an opportunity here, managed properly, to make this child an ally of the Senate, and properly Greek besides.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Rejected Fate posted:

Welp. How about we get this girl a nice Greek education and betroth her to a Kommenos.

Bah, now time to go back to the nice comfy Senate. Nobody's died there by explosion.

I agree with this senator, a brilliant plan. Can we push the betrothal through before the girl comes of age?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

OOC: For the record, I'm totally going with the idea that it wasn't an assassination attempt, but that the inn was just built like - and on top of - poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

OOC: For the record, I'm totally going with the idea that it wasn't an assassination attempt, but that the inn was just built like - and on top of - poo poo.

You can go with whatever you want to go with. He executed a number of senators that declared allegience to the Black Hand and then suddenly dies less than a year into his rule? Yea.....

• Locked thread