Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ShadowHawk posted:

Instead, everyone with upload rights is just a developer and can upload any package to Universe or to Main+Universe. Sure, there are people who work on particular things (eg me and Wine), and there are people who even get paid to work on certain particular things (eg most Canonical staff), but part of our process and organization makes everything feel like a shared burden.

lol this explains a lot about how poo poo ubungu is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
ubuntu: the white mans burden

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

Instead, everyone with upload rights is just a developer and can upload any package to Universe or to Main+Universe.

wow congrats you just showed me ubuntu was worse than i thought

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i'm hesitant about installing anything called "fedora"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Yeah ShadowHawk, you must trust your community members a lot if they have the keys to the kingdom.

"Anybody who checks this box on the website gets instant root shell access to the millions of Ubuntu installs around the world"

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

Ah yes the "please run this magic command in a scary text box as root" notification.

Yes that's one of the great user interface design decisions to make your computer more friendly and approachable than ever.

People are mad because we flat out stole it from iOS.

At least step one of installing fedora is no longer "disable selinux"

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeah ShadowHawk, you must trust your community members a lot if they have the keys to the kingdom.

"Anybody who checks this box on the website gets instant root shell access to the millions of Ubuntu installs around the world"
To be clear the process is:

Developer who has gone through Ubuntu membership process and Developer membership process makes package update, signs it with his GPG key. He uses dput to upload it, then Launchpad compares his signature with his upload rights. If they match and he is uploading to the current development alpha, the package gets accepted into the -proposed repository.

Once there, it needs to build and pass automated tests for it and all reverse-dependencies (ie, upload libfoo then the tests for package bar that depends on libfoo need to still pass). If it does, then an archive admin can click the button for pushing it into the actual archive (and not just -proposed).

When we freeze the archive near release, there is also additional process that gets more burdensome as the release is closer and the package is more important (default install packages within a week of release need release team approval, for instance). There are similar "soft freezes" that happen earlier in the cycle that one can get exceptions to, like feature freeze and UI freeze.

For stable release updates, ie the ones actually used by millions of people, we have more process around verification and so on designed to prevent regressions, as regressions in a stable release are really bad.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
man i used to really want to work for google a few years ago and then yospos showed me what a shitpit that place was (also this was before google+ happened which is where historians are going to say it all went wrong)

then i honestly would have loved to work at red hat if i just had open source ~*credentials*~ but apparently that's also got e: an above average level of bullshit office politics (though tbh it still sounds like it would be worth it)

stop ruining my dreams yospos ;_;

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mr Dog posted:

man i used to really want to work for google a few years ago and then yospos showed me what a shitpit that place was (also this was before google+ happened which is where historians are going to say it all went wrong)

then i honestly would have loved to work at red hat if i just had open source ~*credentials*~ but apparently that's also got e: an above average level of bullshit office politics (though tbh it still sounds like it would be worth it)

your dreams were already ruined before you had them

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
bootstrap your dreams

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

It's actually very much worth it. We have a lot of interesting problems and solve a lot of interesting problems.

Compilers. Networking. Video codecs. Filesystems. Graphics. Input. Tons more.

Want to work at the high level? Write apps and poo poo using toolkits? Sure. Low level? Write Linux kernel patches and deal with the Bluetooth spec and solve bugs in the filesystem drivers? Sure.

Can you do all of it, and want to do all of it? We're hiring.

I mean, I assume that's true for Microsoft, Apple, IBM, Intel, Novell or any other company that builds OSes and writes apps on top.

It's so much rewarding than the startup of the day working on mobile apps that it completely beats out the office politics, which, to be honest, are at every corporation above 10 people. I went out to a startup that's also doing this stuff (they want to make a mobile OS for developing countries, which is a noble goal and I wish them luck! Going to their office for a hackfest in mid-April. Should be fun!), and they had like 6 people in a shared co-office, and yet there was already infighting about the right way to do things.

I'm constantly surprised at what I learn next and what I'm working on next.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

that sounds hells of boring tbh :-/

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
There's so much possibility. Today I woke up and fixed a bug in our OpenGL implementation, then hacked on input method support under Wayland for a bit (it's always fun to learn about how people with sophisticated language systems enter text into the computer), then looked into a bug people were having with gdm, and ended up deleting 10,000 lines of code due to a refactor that fixed at least twenty bugs.

As soon as my new hardware comes in I'm going to be working on HiDPI and touch support for Wayland, and that means writing kernel patches for touch devices and designing APIs.

I also planned out a large refactor of our display server so that it's more robust instead of being a Rube Goldberg machine of awfulness. I'm going to start on that tomorrow.

My after-hours side project is an app updater framework, and that involves things like atomic upgrades, application bundle integration, software distribution, mirror management, a ton of research on how 0install / NixOS / other userspace package managers deal with this, why people don't use existing systems and how they fail, and working on sane API design.

My day is always so varied that I never know where it will end up. It's tons of fun and really rewarding for me. I guess I can have a really optimistic look towards the future and understanding exactly how I'd like our platform to fall down.

The biggest "infighting" from the other team stems from what I feel is an inability to recognize problems and think that the current solution is "good enough". SELinux has been a UI disaster for lots of people ("disable SELinux" is still the number one step for troubleshooting, even inside the office).

SELinux has tons of UI problems. When something is denied, it's not always logged (there's actually a "nolog" directive because some of them were too spammy), so the user is just confused as to why things are failing. There's no transparency or accountability into why a policy is the way it is. If some app is doing a "dangerous" action, there's no way for me as a user to figure out 1) what the app is trying to do, specifically, 2) why the app is doing a dangerous operation to accomplish that, 3) why the operation is dangerous.

As such, since it was designed as a black box with an on/off switch without any tools for gaining insight, it's treated as a black box with an on/off switch. The SELinux team, of course, doesn't really care about any of this, and thinks it's OK the way it is. The result os that they'd rather educate people into not turning off SELinux or telling people to run magic gobbledy-gook terminal commands instead of trying to make the design of the system more approachable and understandable.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
sorry, there is no way i can wrap my head around a programmer who enjoys his job.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
FreeBSD 10.0 with lxqt

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

stoutfish posted:

sorry, there is no way i can wrap my head around a programmer who enjoys his job.

Try it some time. It's a lot of fun!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
sounds like a monopoly 2 me

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I work in ~infosec~ and i enjoy it greatly hth

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

worked out what was wrong with my arch install not booting
my laptop was looking for UEFI despite calling itself a BIOS everywhere

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I know a guy irl who works for red hat and he seems to enjoy his job but I guess he doesn't like having to travel to the us sometimes? so yeah, if being in an airplane sometimes is the worst aspect of your job then you must have a good one.

he suddenly disappeared lately, I seriously hope he didn't die

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i like to travel for work but then i don't have a wife and kids so

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i would consider using fedora for my linux needs if it wasn't called fedora

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

pointsofdata posted:

Trilby Linux

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

its ok, its not a fedora

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

pointsofdata posted:

it's ok i think it pre-dates the internet fat people wearing them

cool fedora story: i used some copr things today for gnome 3.12 and mesa 10.1 they worked well. thanks community. thanks redhat.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

my stepdads beer posted:

it's ok i think it pre-dates the internet fat people wearing them

cool fedora story: i used some copr things today for gnome 3.12 and mesa 10.1 they worked well. thanks community. thanks redhat.

i'm sorry but the damage has been done they need to rebrand

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i'm a sperg and mt coworkers and spergs in a spergy field and i still can't face the shame of using a linux distro called fedora

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

fedora was fedora before fedora-wearing neckbeards were really a thing so

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i didnt even reevalue it in my mind until you brought it up. man, if a linux named fedora had been launched today there would be such laffs

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
you guys are really obsessed with this I bet you can't even watch humphrey bogart movies or indiana jones anymore without thinking of nerds

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The worst thing is that every Red Hat employee gets a red Fedora when they start the job. Sometimes you see people wear them "ironically" now.

Everybody wishes we could rebrand. I am not kidding.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i didnt even reevalue it in my mind until you brought it up. man, if a linux named fedora had been launched today there would be such laffs

Exactly. Now think of some fat nerd teaching a guy who's never heard of Linux about a new operating system you can install for your computer that is actually called "Fedora".

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
wow is it that bad? nerds ruined a hat

this is the worst thing.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

hats were already ruined

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
gonna switch to bonnet linux

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i run flatcap personally

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
"hey jasper, what do you even do for a living?"

"i'm a programmer at a company called red hat"

"oh cool, programming is hard and i can respect that a lot. what sort of apps do you make?"

"i work on an operating system called 'fedora'"

*slowly inches away*

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

"oh cool, programming is hard and i can respect that a lot."

lol

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

that shows that this never happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU